• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft announcing Indie self-publishing for Xbox One this week at BUILD?

DocSeuss

this.. specifically, the bolded part.

Family Sharing was only going to work if your disc was tied to your account. It can't work any other way.

I fully expect that we'll see family sharing come back for digital titles at some point, but I don't see how Microsoft can consider that a priority at this time given that it would only be available to those who purchase digitally.

as for self-publishing..... I doubt it. I think folks are reading into the comments Notch/etc.. made. What I expect to see is some sort of ability to port things between the Win8 app stores and the Xbox marketplace. Self publishing would be a huge surprise.

I think there are people who use the internet who sometimes forget that corporations are not, in fact, people, and do not necessarily behave in petty fashions.

The Lamp

Man, Microsoft really wasn't prepared for this next generation. To the point where they had to have Sony push them to do the obvious. Thank goodness for competition.

sneaky77

t

I fully expect that we'll see family sharing come back for digital titles at some point, but I don't see how Microsoft can consider that a priority at this time given that it would only be available to those who purchase digitally.

But if their intention is to move things towards a digital only thing, wouldn't it make sense to keep it for digital only as an incentive for people to purchase digital instead of discs

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You can't really just open the floodgates for Windows apps and XB1 games to share the same library either. To self publish on the W8 app store, the game must support touch functions. If I wanted to publish an XB1 game and have to go through the Windows store, then I'd have to rework it in order to support touch for a marketplace who's sales for the most part have been abysmal so far. So it won't be anything that simple.

If this really is just sideloading apps for XB1, then jeez, talk about missing the entire point, again. And I highly, highly doubt MS will want to give up control of the marketplace to self publishing indies.

I might see them opening another XBLIG marketplace if they're going to do something. I think it'll be even more segregated than the X360 one.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd be rather surprised to see Microsoft do an about-face on this too. This is a less mainstream issue than the DRM was, which really hit a critical mass of potential console buyers.

We'll see. I wouldn't bet on anything considering how kneejerk reactive Microsoft is at this point.

I think there are people who use the internet who sometimes forget that corporations are not, in fact, people, and do not necessarily behave in petty fashions.

Corporations are people, my friend.

jim2011

You can't really just open the floodgates for Windows apps and XB1 games to share the same library either. To self publish on the W8 app store, the game must support touch functions. If I wanted to publish an XB1 game and have to go through the Windows store, then I'd have to rework it in order to support touch for a marketplace who's sales for the most part have been abysmal so far. So it won't be anything that simple.

If this really is just sideloading apps for XB1, then jeez, talk about missing the entire point, again. And I highly, highly doubt MS will want to give up control of the marketplace to self publishing indies.

I might see them opening another XBLIG marketplace if they're going to do something. I think it'll be even more segregated than the X360 one.

Its possible they'll change the requirements. It's not like the apple App Store or google play differentiate apps for different devices... Oh wait they do. Quite simple to do as well.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Its possible they'll change the requirements. It's not like the apple App Store or google play differentiate apps for different devices... Oh wait they do. Quite simple to do as well.

They'll need to change a lot of requirements to the point where it'll be two separate marketplaces (like Mac App Store and iOS App Store), which would lead into a self publishing marketplace for XB1, which I don't think will happen.

But we'll see this week! If they don't announce anything, then the indie dream is over, at least for this year.

MogCakes

Heh Sony's lead is slowly becoming smaller and smaller.

Yes, and this is a good thing. Competition drives the market. Does MS doing this completely negate Sony's goodwill and reputation? Not one bit. Microsoft has a long way to go to regain the reputation lost by their policies and incoherent image from E3.

Lynn616

Don Mattrick said this last month. Not sure if it is related.

We're going to have an independent creator program. We're going to sponsor it. We're going to give people tools. We're going to give more information.

That is something we think—I think—is important. That's how I started in the industry. There's no way we're going to build a box that doesn't support that.

airborn

Windows Phone app store games do, don't see why Xbox One app store games wouldn't.
Not every Windows Phone game supports Xbox LIVE. It's limited to titles published by Microsoft Studios or other approved parties:

At this time, Xbox LIVE services are only available to a specific list of publishing partners. Microsoft Studios is one publisher for Windows Phone. If you do not work with Microsoft Studios, you may work with any of the other approved publishing partners.

MogCakes

See this is what you say now! Let's see you people begging for forgiveness from the Microsoft god of gaming when PS4 gets CoD: Ghost DLC map packs a month later (each)...

You're an odd one. Every post you make is anti-Sony in some measure. What do you have against Sony? You readily defend Ninty and MS, but not Sony? Lol

'Begging for forgiveness' because one system gets DLC earlier for a game...man, you are reaching all the way up your ass for that one.

Too late?

they provided xna and a platform for Indies this gen. They're only perceived to be behind because they've announced nothing for next gen to be fair to them.

we shall see.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Don Mattrick said this last month. Not sure if it is related.

I think this confirms a new Indie Marketplace for XB1. Which isn't a bad thing, certainly admirable and a great way to start somewhere.

You know, here's my problem with MS at the moment: their whole XBL requirements are completely antiquated at this point. Back in 2006, they had three requirements: get a publisher to get on XBL, have a one year contract with them to not publish anywhere else, or if you're publishing a game that has appeared on another console/platform, give them exclusive content.

Back then there was no iOS or Android marketplace, no real competition, it was just the Xbox 360 platform, Sony's PSN platform which was still in it's infancy and troubled with a low install base, the completely awful WiiWare platform, and good ol' PC. It was easy to accept MS terms. Heck, in a year's time once the contract was up a dev would have better footing to go after a PSN release if they chose that route. Publishers were still a necessity back before dev tools were (a) cheap and easy, and (b) crowdfunding became a thing. It made sense to go the MS route.

Fast forward to 2013. Those same rules are still in effect for Xbox One. They are incredibly stupid for any indie dev to have to jump through. You are in fact giving up the right to:

-Not publish on iOS, Android, self-publish on PS4/PSN, PC, Mac and Linux for one whole year, even if your game isn't successful on XB1 and you need more sources of revenue,
-Having to get a publisher and possibly giving up your IP rights despite the fact that making an indie game has NEVER been easier w/o a publisher. Go crowdfunding, go through special Pub Services like the Indie Fund or Sony's own Pub Fund (which allow you to retain the IP rights and publish on whatever platform you choose), etc.
-Publish on every single platform successfully, only to come to XB1 and having to craft exclusive content that MS must approve before you're allowed in (despite the fact that no other platform has ever asked this).

For MS to succeed, they need to announce at BUILD that they're tearing down their old rules, allow for self publishing and no more restrictions and requirements for ports that don't debut on their service. Announcing a segregated Indie platform or app store for side loads would be completely missing the point, and we'd have another generation of incredibly stupid hoops to jump through for their games platform, which look even more dumb in the face of all the competing marketplaces.

FranXico

Microsoft reacting to Sony once again. And once again, the masses will praise them for duplicating what the competition took initiative for.

It's just a matter of time either way. Phil Spencer made it sound like they're open to Self Publishing but they didn't have a plan to announce yet.

So instead they let Sony plop a whole slew of indie devs on stage at E3 in a ring of glorious gaming while MS tried to come up with a plan...Johnathan Blow has been bashing MSs publishing policies for weeks, and MS just waits..

Its just more and more evidence that MS is late to the next gen party, wasn't ready when Sony announced PS4, and is still playing catch up to this day. You cannot deny it..They just take another page from Sonys playbook this gen and regurgitate it weeks later.. Streaming, recording gameplay, no DRM, indie self publishing.........

If they were going to allow self publishing to indie devs, why in the hell not announce that at E3 where nearly all the indie devs on the planet are hanging and networking?

IvorB

vC3GI4r.png

ekim

I think this confirms a new Indie Marketplace for XB1. Which isn't a bad thing, certainly admirable and a great way to start somewhere.

You know, here's my problem with MS at the moment: their whole XBL requirements are completely antiquated at this point. Back in 2006, they had three requirements: get a publisher to get on XBL, have a one year contract with them to not publish anywhere else, or if you're publishing a game that has appeared on another console/platform, give them exclusive content.

Back then there was no iOS or Android marketplace, no real competition, it was just the Xbox 360 platform, Sony's PSN platform which was still in it's infancy and troubled with a low install base, the completely awful WiiWare platform, and good ol' PC. It was easy to accept MS terms. Heck, in a year's time once the contract was up a dev would have better footing to go after a PSN release if they chose that route. Publishers were still a necessity back before dev tools were (a) cheap and easy, and (b) crowdfunding became a thing. It made sense to go the MS route.

Fast forward to 2013. Those same rules are still in effect for Xbox One. They are incredibly stupid for any indie dev to have to jump through. You are in fact giving up the right to:

-Not publish on iOS, Android, self-publish on PS4/PSN, PC, Mac and Linux for one whole year, even if your game isn't successful on XB1 and you need more sources of revenue,
-Having to get a publisher and possibly giving up your IP rights despite the fact that making an indie game has NEVER been easier w/o a publisher. Go crowdfunding, go through special Pub Services like the Indie Fund or Sony's own Pub Fund (which allow you to retain the IP rights and publish on whatever platform you choose), etc.
-Publish on every single platform successfully, only to come to XB1 and having to craft exclusive content that MS must approve before you're allowed in (despite the fact that no other platform has ever asked this).

For MS to succeed, they need to announce at BUILD that they're tearing down their old rules, allow for self publishing and no more restrictions and requirements for ports that don't debut on their service. Announcing a segregated Indie platform or app store for side loads would be completely missing the point, and we'd have another generation of incredibly stupid hoops to jump through for their games platform, which look even more dumb in the face of all the competing marketplaces.

All true but if they want to give devs full access to the HW they somehow need to be able to test their builds on e console. So they need some special devmode because devkits are probably too expensive for most indie devs.

I doubt this is true. Nintendo's tool chain alone seems like a huge hurdle. And everyone has Unity support.
What hurdle? The free Unity license or easy to use Web Framework for dead simple phone/tablet/web porting (HTML5, CSS, Java)? Tell me about Nintedo's promblematic toolchain?

MogCakes

After the reversal from MS they are both very similar now.

Yep, MS has noted the advantages Sony has and is following close step. This is good for the industry - it wouldn't have gone down well if it was the other way around.

Doesn't matter, really. It's about having positive mindshare, and Sony's acquired the lion share of it. It set the agenda and imposed the rythm, and MS is de facto considered to be reactionary to the fullest.

Quoted for a new page. More people need to read this. This is the public perception of MS. Scrapping the DRM and allowing indie self publishing are great decisions, but they are decisions that should have been made a long time ago. The ideology battle has been lost for them, and they are paying the consequences in mindshare. No amount of fanboying will negate this fact. They could announce a kinect-less model tomorrow, the perception would remain the same. Not to say what they're doing now is bad, but it should have been the focus from the beginning. People will not forget what they tried to do so easily as many people here are trying to claim. PSN hack is still remembered, RROD is most definitely still remembered, and the Xbox One debacle is bigger than either and will remain a permanent stain on Microsoft's record in the minds of many consumers. Thinking that MS will overtake Sony now just because they're 'taking away' Sony's advantages ignores all of that and is hence an idiotic train of thought.

SPDIF

So instead they let Sony plop a whole slew of indie devs on stage at E3 in a ring of glorious gaming while MS tried to come up with a plan...Johnathan Blow has been basing MSs publishing policies for weeks, and MS just waits..

Its just more and more evidence that MS is late to the next gen party, wasn't ready when Sony announced PS4, and is still playing catch up to this day. You cannot deny it..They just take another page from Sonys playbook this gen and regurgitate it weeks later.. Streaming, recording gameplay, no DRM, indie self publishing.........

Unless you've been working simultaneously at both companies for the past few years, it's impossible to say who thought of those things first. For all we know MS thought of these things first, Sony just had their announcemnt conference first, so it's kind of pointless to list such things.

If they were going to allow self publishing to indie devs, why in the hell not announce that at E3 where nearly all the indie devs on the planet are hanging and networking?

Maybe because they want to announce all of their development plans at their main annual development conference? Again for all we know they could have held a private conference at E3 for indie developers. Notch obviously knows something, and he must have got that information from somewhere.

Snubbers

Microsoft reacting to Sony once again. And once again, the masses will praise them for duplicating what the competition took initiative for.

MS made a huge leap with indies in XNA, they just haven't cracked the self publishing so well.. Sony reacted to them and have now surpassed them, which is great, but it's hardly MS duplicating when they where offering indie games first..

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
All true but if they want to give devs full access to the HW they somehow need to be able to test their builds on e console. So they need some special devmode because devkits are probably too expensive for most indie devs.

It's only expensive because MS makes them expensive. Sony gives out "loaner" dev kits to indie devs who can't afford them. I don't see why MS can't do the same.

It's only expensive because MS makes them expensive. Sony gives out "loaner" dev kits to indie devs who can't afford them. I don't see why MS can't do the same.

Aren't Nintendo giving indies dev kits for free? More than a little surprising that Nintendo, of all companies, is the most forward thinking of the big three.

Pretty shameful too that MS and Sony haven't done the same. Sony giving out 'loaners' is a step in the right direction though, MS needs to catch the hell up.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
I expect it to happen since it is a developer conference. I'm more curious about the apps it can potentially bring given it has a dual OS.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Will most likely be for the shared partition that runs WinRT so games will easily run on Windows 8, Windows Phone and Xbox,

this.. specifically, the bolded part.

Family Sharing was only going to work if your disc was tied to your account. It can't work any other way.

The person you quoted was actually responding to me. he quoted me where I specifically wrote that they took away "family share from all digital downloads" - the poster's reading comprehension failed him there.

MS introduced family share for physical and digital purchases. Then they took it away from physical and digital purchases. Reintroducing it for digital seems nice, but taking it away in the first place is not so great.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
Will most likely be for the shared partition that runs WinRT so games will easily run on Windows 8, Windows Phone and Xbox,

That would be great. One OS for high end gaming and the other for all types of pc and mobile games. Smaller developers will go for the latter since they target xbox/windows8/phone at the same time.

Imagine certain apps that play mkv player like vlc player that could also happen.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Quit saying that they changed their tune on indie stuff because of the drm backlash. Xbox news at build has been known for a looonng time. (xbox logo has been on the build page since the tickets went on sale, early may I believe)
That would be great. One OS for high end gaming and the other for all types of pc and mobile games. Smaller developers will go for the latter since they target xbox/windows8/phone at the same time.

Imagine certain apps that play mkv player like vlc player that could also happen.
depends on how open the store is to be honest. Hopefully anyone can submit stuff.

I doubt this is true. Nintendo's tool chain alone seems like a huge hurdle. And everyone has Unity support.

Speculating on Nintendo's tool chain beyond reporting news of anecdotes from devs seems odd. Especially since things like these change over time and you don't know who is saying what in any specific context. The same goes for Sony and MS... even though they are both x86, it may be that one has better tools than the other.

Relying in a handful of brief quotes from a few devs about something related to tools around hardware launch is hardly firm footing to debating development related specifics. Should we still speculate on PS3 dev tools documentation is provided as a Japanese textbook?

CookTrain

So how did you deploy your builds on the Xbox? Did you need some special tools?

It's just a download of a free version of Visual Studio, an Xbox and a PC. Technically you don't even need the Xbox until you're near the point of deployment because most of the code is cross-compatible.

The barrier to console publication has never been lower than it is on Xbox Live Indie Games.To be honest, it's even easier to get onto than Steam Greenlight. So long as it's functional and meet the basic contnet guidelines, it's allowed. The just mishandled the policies of it a lot in the beginning and never really recovered.

To the larger subject at hand. That they'll do cross-platform publishing is surely a given. However, if it's just in the hemmed in corner of Xbox One that runs the Windows OS rather than proper access to the meaty power... they might as well not bother for my money.

jmood88

If this is anything like I predicted a while ago, I'm going to be happy.

Enable WinRT games on Xbox One to be self-published. Indies could then release their games on Xbox,big Windows, and winphone with mostly changes to resolution/input (if the game would work in all three scenarios).

Add some Kinect APIs for public use

That's what I was thinking cause they desperately need to get apps on Windows phones. It makes too much sense for them to not allow self-publishing across all their platforms.

Top Bottom