• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft announcing Indie self-publishing for Xbox One this week at BUILD?

Kind of astounding that the company that was doing a lot of forward thinking stuff at the start of the current gen is now just catching up to the status quo. Did they have a change in leadership behind the scenes that we don't know about?

They are not catching up, Ms first talked about three screens (Pc monitor, phone/tablet, TV) sharing the same ecosystem 4 years ago.

For whatever reason they like to announce things at their pace, but you can bet that was long coming already and not just a reaction to recent events.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Windows Phone app store games do, don't see why Xbox One app store games wouldn't.
Yeah windows phone and windows 8 both have xbox live games. But they also just have regular games. Not sure what restrictions are in place for the xbox stuff but i wouldn't be surprised if you needed a publisher. This will be exactly how it works on the one most likely. Buddy buddy with a publisher, you get xbox live features. Just self published, you just get a spot in the app store.

With the ridiculously poor communication MS has had ever since they revealed the X1 it's understandable that some people think that way, but yeah they've been planning this for a while.

Earlier this year when they first announced the Build event they gave a pretty big hint that they have some sort of Xbox related development plans to announce.

build2013topics-600x270.png

I just remembered something. Back when Ms revealed the W8 metro interface they only had announced support for html5 and java script for metro apps. Developers were worried for months that Ms would not support c/c++ or .net in metro apps, even after details of the platform leaked it was only when Ms finally announced that c/c++ were in (at last build if my memory serves me right) that the backslash stopped.

Why they keep doing this to themselves i'll never know... They are the ones in control of the info they want to share but do that so horribly that constantly bites them in the ass even when there's nothing wrong XD

JoshHood

Yeah windows phone and windows 8 both have xbox live games. But they also just have regular games. Not sure what restrictions are in place for the xbox stuff but i wouldn't be surprised if you needed a publisher. This will be exactly how it works on the one most likely. Buddy buddy with a publisher, you get xbox live features. Just self published, you just get a spot in the app store.
Most likely, yep, so basically what there is now with Arcade and Indie, just dressed up differently.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
I just remembered something. Back when Ms revealed the W8 metro interface they only had announced support for html5 and java script for metro apps. Developers were worried for months that Ms would not support c/c++ or .net in metro apps, even after details of the platform leaked it was only when Ms finally announced that c/c++ were in (at last build if my memory serves me right) that the backslash stopped.

Why they keep doing this to themselves i'll never know... They are the ones in control of the info they want to share but do that so horribly that constantly bites them in the ass even when there's nothing wrong XD
Microsoft has always sucked at communication. I don't see it changing any time soon.

FranXico

C/C++ support, while acceptable, is far from stellar. Starting with XAML support. You cannot get *anything* done without using language extensions.

As a C++ developer, that annoys me greatly, because I like to keep my code as portable as possible.

That's absolutely wrong. When MS announced WinRT they announced it would support C++, JavaScript/HTML5, Visual Basic, Visual C# and XAML. Those languages were all in the official "WinRT architecture" images they provided (*edit* Actually the image is above and you can see all of the languages were on it).

What developers were worried about was the lack of Silverlight, which has gotten the axe.

ShapeGSX

So how did you deploy your builds on the Xbox? Did you need some special tools?

You would download a tool (XNA Game Studio Connect) on the XBox that would connect to the PC via the local network connection. Then you could deploy the XNA game on that XBox. It would even let you set break points and debug on the PC while you played it on the XBox. And you could play it without the PC being connected, too.

It was a brilliant system. No dev kit required. Microsoft is quite capable of building something like this (obviously, since they already did).

Details:
http://xbox.create.msdn.com/en-US/home/about/how_it_works_create

C/C++ support, while acceptable, is far from stellar. Starting with XAML support. You cannot get *anything* done without using language extensions.

As a C++ developer, that annoys me greatly, because I like to keep my code as portable as possible.

It's been a while since i don't code in c++, so I really have no idea how the support is in, but i had the impression Ms has been making improvements/customizations to c/c++ exclusive to their platforms for some time now...

That's absolutely wrong. When MS announced WinRT they announced it would support C++, JavaScript/HTML5, Visual Basic, Visual C# and XAML. Those languages were all in the official "WinRT architecture" images they provided (*edit* Actually the image is above and you can see all of the languages were on it).

What developers were worried about was the lack of Silverlight, which has gotten the axe.

Ms announced WinRT at build, but had shown previews about W8 months before. Developers backslash were huge, like impossible to miss xD

Here's what a quick google search regarding html5/java only in w8 has come up with:

http://arstechnica.com/information-...dows-8-leaves-microsoft-developers-horrified/

Though considering what hackers were doing with Kinect 1,0, opening 2.0 up to indie studios just might be the boost it needs to get traction as an accompaniment for gaming rather than bodywaggle since you could probably get some more blue sky thinking going on with indies rather than big studios.

I had a similar thought. Indies would be an awesome way to prototype new uses for kinect.

You would download a tool (XNA Game Studio Connect) on the XBox that would connect to the PC via the local network connection. Then you could deploy the XNA game on that XBox. It would even let you set break points and debug on the PC while you played it on the XBox. And you could play it without the PC being connected, too.

It was a brilliant system. No dev kit required. Microsoft is quite capable of building something like this (obviously, since they already did).

Details:

Be sure to grab MonoGame on top of XNA so you can compile to many platforms. Also note that XNA has been sent out back to die. MonoGame is the open source successor now.

Rhindle

It's just a download of a free version of Visual Studio, an Xbox and a PC. Technically you don't even need the Xbox until you're near the point of deployment because most of the code is cross-compatible.

The barrier to console publication has never been lower than it is on Xbox Live Indie Games.To be honest, it's even easier to get onto than Steam Greenlight. So long as it's functional and meet the basic contnet guidelines, it's allowed. The just mishandled the policies of it a lot in the beginning and never really recovered.

To the larger subject at hand. That they'll do cross-platform publishing is surely a given. However, if it's just in the hemmed in corner of Xbox One that runs the Windows OS rather than proper access to the meaty power... they might as well not bother for my money.
This is spot-on. "Self publishing" on XBL is incredibly easy. It's just that no one will pay any attention to your game because the way the 360 OS is currently structured.

It's pretty obvious that they're working on a Windows/Xbox cross-platform marketplace, that should allow self-publishing. So it will mainly be a question of how much prominence it is given. It has to be front and center on the home interface, and the games/apps have to receive regular promotional billing.

Next up... the Kinect-less Xbox One 100 dollars cheaper, afterwards... they'll ditch the classic green from their corporate scheme for an intense blue.

Y aun asi no lo compro ni en diez mil millones de centurias.

Honestly, does anyone actually care, provided the change is for the better? Even those that claim to care will forget in a few weeks. Consumers have been shown to be readily forgetful, RROD and the PSN hack made this a cold, hard fact.

Here's to hoping that the vast majority of the gaming populace has fully functioning brains, and don't forget so easily.

I used to not care for MS, but after Xbox one's numerous mistakes i full on despise them now...

Lol.

To everyone SONY says "you're welcome"

Competition is lovely.

Still don't like u Microsoft but thank u for giving us a better SONY. Apparently it's time for them to return the favor.

BlazeGaj

Neo Member
Quit saying that they changed their tune on indie stuff because of the drm backlash. Xbox news at build has been known for a looonng time. (xbox logo has been on the build page since the tickets went on sale, early may I believe)
depends on how open the store is to be honest. Hopefully anyone can submit stuff.

Don't see it being that much different than windows 8 but I can see why they might not want that given the amount of junk games/apps that will be there and I would agree with them but it feels like there is no way to have to find a middle path.

CookTrain

Ok uhm werent XBL Indie games self publishing? someone explain this please.

They were. There were good reasons to avoid if you were a bigger named Indie (or had an over-blown ego) and push for XBLA, but self-publishing has been on the Xbox for donkeys years and it is pretty easy to get into for actual bedroom developers that harken back to my boyhood Amstrad tinkering :p

As for why some people see everything MS does lately as necessarily a frantic, scrambling, reactionary move against whatever Sony is doing... you'd have to ask them, because I've no idea. The writing for this particular move has been on the wall for a very long time.

ekim

Details:

Thanks for the explanation! :)

If this pans out to be true, will Phil Fish decide to put Fez 2 on Xbox One? Absence of self-publishing seemed to be the crux of his complaint before, so this may make that argument moot. Of course, if there are still exorbitant patch fees, that may still dissuade many.

It's only expensive because MS makes them expensive. Sony gives out "loaner" dev kits to indie devs who can't afford them. I don't see why MS can't do the same.

Honestly, even if Microsoft wanted to, they probably couldn't afford to give away devkits right now, given their yield problems.

Aren't Nintendo giving indies dev kits for free? More than a little surprising that Nintendo, of all companies, is the most forward thinking of the big three.

Pretty shameful too that MS and Sony haven't done the same. Sony giving out 'loaners' is a step in the right direction though, MS needs to catch the hell up.

Sony and Nintendo are doing the same thing in that regard. I think chubigans just referred to them as loaners because once they're done using them, they have to send them back to Sony, but that's the case for all devkits anyway. Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft still officially own all their devkits, developers just license them.

Honestly, even if Microsoft wanted to, they probably couldn't afford to give away devkits right now, given their yield problems.

Sony and Nintendo are doing the same thing in that regard. I think chubigans just referred to them as loaners because once they're done using them, they have to send them back to Sony, but that's the case for all devkits anyway. Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft still officially own all their devkits, developers just license them.

its alright. devs can just use an HP computer.

Here's to hoping that the vast majority of the gaming populace has fully functioning brains, and don't forget so easily.

I used to not care for MS, but after Xbox one's numerous mistakes i full on despise them now...
Do you still hold Sony's SecuROM rootkit software against them? Do you hold the PSN Hack against them? You hold PS2 DRE's and PS3 YLOD against them? Do you hold "get two job!" and "next-gen doesn't start till we say so" against them? Do you hold their on-disc-drm patents against them? Do you hold console breaking firmware against them? Do you hold console-crashing first party games against them?

Nah, it's probably easier just being in naive console warrior mode.

MogCakes

Do you still hold Sony's SecuROM rootkit software against them? Do you hold the PSN Hack against them? You hold PS2 DRE's and PS3 YLOD against them? Do you hold "get two job!" and "next-gen doesn't start till we say so" against them? Do you hold their on-disc-drm patents against them? Do you hold console breaking firmware against them? Do you hold console crashing firs party games against them?

Nah, it's probably easier just being in naive console warrior mode.

Are you pointing out a flaw in his opinion or are you being contrarian? If you have a point, please state it. MS can overcome the negativity they've created with the DRM policies, but it will be a while, and it sure as hell won't die down so fast just after E3, or even until launch.

Are you pointing out a flaw in his opinion or are you being contrarian? If you have a point, please state it. MS can overcome the negativity they've created with the DRM policies, but it will be a while, and it sure as hell won't die down so fast just after E3, or even until launch.
Hypocrisy is still hypocrisy. Don't pretend its anything but. Especially when the vitroil is so high.

MogCakes

Hypocrisy is still hypocrisy. Don't pretend its anything but. Especially when the vitroil is so high.

Right, because the outrage over the PSN hack died down so quickly. It didn't. Nor did the RROD fiasco. My point was not to expect the negativity towards MS to die down so fast. You appear not to have gotten that point, and you still haven't explained your own. What are trying to say?

Right, because the outrage over the PSN hack died down so quickly. It didn't. Nor did the RROD fiasco. My point was not to expect the negativity towards MS to die down so fast. You appear not to have gotten that point, and you still haven't explained your own. What are trying to say?
I think pretending to be dense isn't helping your cause.

Unless you're not pretending...in which case..yikes.

nbraun80

So does this mean it would be like Indies in the 360 currently if announced? If so not sure how good that is 90% of the stuff on the indie section is avatar crap and mine craft clones. There should be some certification to go through. It was hard to find some of the gems on the indie section amongst all that.

MogCakes

I think pretending to be dense isn't helping your cause.

Unless you're not pretending...in which case..yikes.

Dense about what? You're continuously refusing to state what your point was in calling the dude out on hypocrisy. You've completely ignored my point in my comments to you. You're the one being dense. Post something that isn't a petty rebuttal and then maybe I'll take you seriously.

Dense about what? You're continuously refusing to state what your point was in calling the dude out on hypocrisy. You've completely ignored my point in my comments to you. You're the one being dense. Post something that isn't a petty rebuttal and then maybe I'll take you seriously.
wut? Pointing out the hypocrisy...was the point. You can settle down now. Breathe a little.

The Point

You

MogCakes

wut? Pointing out the hypocrisy...was the point. And I don't care how you take me.

If you didn't care what I was saying you wouldn't respond. Make your case and state your intent. There is a point to pointing out hypocrisy - it wasn't the end goal, it was a method to get a message across. I'm asking what your message was. All your replies thus far have been nothing but snark with little in the way of actual argumentation.

The Point

You

Speak for yourself.

bhlaab

I guess it's good if they do this, but at what point do the Xbone and PS4 just become the same system entirely?

I guess it's good if they do this, but at what point do the Xbone and PS4 just become the same system entirely?
When consumers decided thats exactly what they wanted and clamored for it.

Look at how many people are bemoaning Microsoft to remove Kinect, even though it has a wider field of view, high resolution, can track up to 6 people, works perfectly in all lighting conditions, has twice the joint traction, and has a low power state mode. But noooo, we don't want Kinect. We don't care about Google or Facebook sharing all our information nor that our smartphones can track our every movement, calls, contacts list and more....but it's the Kinect that really worries us about our privacy!
Remove the one last major distinction about your console Microsoft and make it the exact same price as the competitor!

MogCakes

Look at how many people are bemoaning Microsoft to remove Kinect, even though it has a wider field of view, high resolution, can track up to 6 people, works perfectly in all lighting conditions, has twice the joint traction, and has a low power state mode. But noooo, we don't want Kinect. We don't care about Google or Facebook sharing all our information nor that our smartphones can track our every movement, calls, contacts list and more....but it's the Kinect that really worries us about our privacy!
Remove the one last major distinction about your console Microsoft and make it the exact same price as the competitor!

Welp, that explains everything. You could have just come out and said you're an MS fan, you know.

EDIT: This was an insensitive post. Being an MS fan shouldn't be marked against you. My apologies dude. I'm leaving it up to own up to it.

So does this mean it would be like Indies in the 360 currently if announced? If so not sure how good that is 90% of the stuff on the indie section is avatar crap and mine craft clones. There should be some certification to go through. It was hard to find some of the gems on the indie section amongst all that.
That's how every fucking app store turns out as. Take a look at the iOS, Android, Windows and WP stores sometime.

The kinect camera is a little different in that it would be pointing directly at the couch I have sex on occasionally. I dont have facebook or a cell phone and google doesnt take a picture of em naked when I use it to search.

But none of that would matter if Kinect could be disconnected or if it was optional. Which leads to the much bigger problem with Kinect.

You may like all of the features that Kinect provides, and I may have liked them too at a later date provided that Kinect was optional and didnt have to be plugged in. But at this point the Kinect technology is too fucking expensive and uses way way too much system resources. As an addition to a games machine it may have been fine, but what it actually turns out to be is a crowbar to the knee of a games machine. Weaker CPU, weaker GPU, and 2GB's less ram for a GAME MACHINE is a big fucking deal.

You probably arent as interested in games as the rest of us at GAF. That's fine. You want the Xbox 1 for the netflix, blueray player, snap features, and voice operated remote control. But for those of us who play videogames the sacrifice to the actual game playing part of a videogame console is kind of a big deal.

The kinect camera is a little different in that it would be pointing directly at the couch I have sex on occasionally. I dont have facebook or a cell phone and google doesnt take a picture of em naked when I use it to search.

But none of that would matter if Kinect could be disconnected or if it was optional. Which leads to the much bigger problem with Kinect.
What a load of crap. I love how argument are now coming to "I don't have a facebook or cellphone".

Ok, even if I buy that, why don't you...turn your system off when having sex. Hell you can even turn the low power state off as well and have it fully shut down. Your argument and your paranoia are senseless.
You probably arent as interested in games as the rest of us at GAF. That's fine. You want the Xbox 1 for the netflix, blueray player, snap features, and voice operated remote control. But for those of us who play videogames the sacrifice to the actual game playing part of a videogame console is kind of a big deal.
How freaking presumptuous. I might as well say that you only like PS4 for the free access to Netflix and Hulu and Sony movies and music apps. Cosidering the XBO has an equal if not higher pedigree of software right now, and more titles are hitting the 1080p/60FPS mark, I can make an argument that it's the gamer's console and you're only interested in a multimedia device. But that argument would be just as obnoxious as the one you're making.
Welp, that explains everything. You could have just come out and said you're an MS fan, you know.

EDIT: This was an insensitive post. Being an MS fan shouldn't be marked against you. My apologies dude. I'm leaving it up to own up to it.
Yeah ok then.

CLEEK

I might start a new thread about this. All the upgrades your mentioned about Kinect 2.0 are effectively vapourware at the moment, as we haven't seen them in action in actual games. Just heard MS spin (which has been misleading around every other facet of the Xbone since May). People's experience with Kinect stem from the original 360 version, which was sold as being this incredible feat of technology, but in reality, was barely fit for purpose.

Until MS show of the new Kinect's abilities in real games - and they missed a huge change to do so at E3 - people will view it like the current Kinect. A accessory that's home to a graveyard of hyper-casual, lag infested shovel ware.

Not to mention the revelation around MS's involvement with the NSA and PRISM couldn't have come at a worse time for them. People quite rightly now distrust MS around privacy, so the thought of having a monitoring device permanently connected to a console is alarming to some. Even though, as you say, most people will have a bunch of devices with similar potential for spying on you.

Again, like with most things around the Xbone, MS communication and PR for Kinect has been abject. They haven't shown what it can do, why is can be awesome (and I personally think that the new Kinect has some major possibilities and should be highly publicised to show it as the main differentiator between the Xbone over its competitors).

I had no interest in the PS4 camera until I saw the tech demo videos from E3. I'll be getting one along side my PS4 on day one. Sony sold the idea of the camera to me. MS have just forced the Kinect down everyone's throats by making it mandatory and not showing off anything good about it.

SPDIF

Own up to it? You say that as if he's done something wrong. There's a difference between a "fanboy" and just a regular fan. He makes a decent enough point if you ask me and considering your last few posts in this thread have been something along the lines of "make your case" and "state your intent", it seems strange that you just brush his post off without really providing a counter argument.

I might start a new thread about this. All the upgrades your mentioned about Kinect 2.0 are effectively vapourware at the moment, as we haven't seen them in action. Just heard MS spin (which has been misleading around every other facet of the Xbone since May). People's experience with Kinect stem from the original 360 version, which was sold as being this incredible feat of technology, but in reality, was barely fit for purpose.

Until MS show of the new Kinect's abilities - and they missed a huge change to do so at E3 - people will view it like the current Kinect. A accessory that's home to a graveyard of hyper-casual, lag infested shovel ware.

Not to mention the revelation around MS's involvement with the NSA and PRISM couldn't have come at a worse time for them. People quite rightly now distrust MS around privacy, so the thought of having a monitoring device permanently connected to a console is alarming to some. Even though, as you say, most people will have a bunch of devices with similar potential for spying on you.

Again, like with most things around the Xbone, MS communication and PR for Kinect has been abject. They haven't shown what it can do, why is can be awesome (and I personally think that the new Kinect has some major possibilities and should be highly publicised to show it as the main differentiator between the Xbone over its competitors).

I had no interest in the PS4 camera until I saw the tech demo videos from E3. I'll be getting one along side my PS4 on day one. Sony sold the idea of the camera to me. MS have just forced the Kinect down everyone's throats by making it mandatory and not showing off anything good about it.

Have you seen videos like this?

And this?

dLMN8R

Biggest communication problem?

-Microsoft announces Windows 8. Fully supports self-publishing just like iOS. Financial terms are better than iOS
-Microsoft gets backlash because indie developers fear it's a "closed system". Notch et.al. freak the fuck out.

-Microsoft announces Xbox One and doesn't say anything about self-publishing. Or maybe some exec says it's not there, who knows. I don't remember. Either way, bad messaging.
-Xbox One announced to be using Windows under the covers
-Everyone freaks the fuck out, doesn't put things together that Windows 8 supports self-publishing (because everyone's still freaking the fuck out about that for some reason), therefore indicating that some of that will probably manifest itself in Xbox One (I don't know if it will)

It's a stunning display of miscommunication that results in hypocrisy that no one even realizes is taking place.

What a load of crap. I love how argument are now coming to "I don't have a facebook or cellphone".

Ok, even if I buy that, why don't you...turn your system off when having sex. Hell you can even turn the low power state off as well and have it fully shut down. Your argument and your paranoia are senseless.

No I dont have a Facebook account. I never had a Myspace account either. Ive never owned a cell phone or beaper. I dont even wear jewelry. I dont like having a bunch of crap in my pockets or hanging all over me.

And thanks for the tip about turning off and unplugging the Kinect every time I want to get busy. I will just go ahead and stop mid coitus to turn it off and unplug it. That sounds awesome.

And I see you avoided my main point about Kinect/Snap/UI all coming together to gimp a games system. I'm not as concerned about PS4 having GDDr5 and X1 only having ddr3. I wouldnt buy a system based on just that. But it's a stone cold fact that the PS4 has a better CPU, a much better GPU, and 7gb's available for games whereas the X1 only has 5gb's. If the X1 costs $100 more than the PS4 with weaker hardware then it stands to reason that the Kinect would have to be the cause of that. Why else would it cost more when every piece of hardware in the PS4 is superior?

This really wouldnt bother me so much if it wasnt for the 5gb's of memory. I can just not buy an X1, but unfortunately 3rd party titles are going to be built around that pathetic 5gb limit.

Top Bottom