• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Microsoft announcing Indie self-publishing for Xbox One this week at BUILD?

graywolf323

...Are you serious? You did not think their rootkit scandal was "anti-consumer"? There were even government investigations over it and class action lawsuits against Sony because of it.

Maybe you've forgotten.

has nothing to do with the gaming side of Sony but sure let's hold it against them

just like we can then hold Microsoft's monopoly practices against them, the same ones that led the U.S. Government to do a trust bust lawsuit against them

Yeah, they also showed the exact same demo at E3.

I should have clarified. What I want to see is real gaming applications of the new Kinect. MS released similar videos for the original Kinect, that made it look incredible. But then the games came out and the fidelity and lag were terrible.

If Kinect is mandatory, surely they would have had a bunch of games that used it can could be shown off. Unless I missed it, I don't think they did.

Haha you're trying way to hard!

MS focusing on Kinect. Trolling.

MS showing core games not focusing on Kinect. People still complaining.

People could demo Kinect 2 at E3, ALL of it's functions. A prercorded video however is superior no doubt!

For all the hate they get with their ambitions people starting to argue that Sony's PSEye showings are somehow more convincing is pure comedy :D

Kinect 2 plus Indies sounds fantastic to me.

xna replacement yet?

Don't count on it.

XNA was cool back in its day. But nowadays you have more and more indie devs just using actual game engines like UDK and Unity. It would be more compelling if MS allowed those to run (aka, allow actual native C++ code by indies). If someone still would want to write from scratch, they could of course, but MS shouldn't limit the indie marketplace to only C# XNA games for the One.

abadguy

Banned
There is a difference between providing a product/service that consumers want and what MS did.

MS introduced a new product/service that took away what originally existed, offered many cons, very few pros and was defiantly defending it. When they realized that the backlash became bigger and mainstream and would materially effect their console business, they changed gears.

So what now? When bad shit happens, we all have to hope that our backlash goes mainstream and enough people start voting with their wallets? How often will we have to do this?

You want to constantly say "this is how business works" as if you know something that people like me don't. The same way you want to make a point about "business," I'd like to introduce a concept known as GOODWILL. Look it up, even accountants understand it.

Thanks. Have a great day. I don't need MS's way of doing business in my household when it comes to my games.

I own an Xbox 360. Frankly, MS has not brought anything to the games sphere that we wouldn't have eventually gotten without them. Everybody else would have provided better games and services had Microsoft's market share been split up. That's my belief. You want to talk about competition, but I believe in Nash equilibrium. We don't need Microsoft in this space, IMO. I don't want them here.

Sorry but this is complete total and utter bullshit and you know it. I know you have your silly and irrational hatred for MS, but give credit where credit is due. They brought a lot to gaming especially in the online space where Nintedo and Sony were far from as forward thinking as MS was with the old PSN and Nintendo's online, and Sega who basically did similar with the DC was out of the console business.

Sony without meaningful competition gave you a 600 dollar PS3 with Riiiiiige Racer, and Giant Crabs, while telling you to get a second job to buy it. ( MS did similar with the X1 also spewing out similar stupid PR shit, making stupid decisions regarding their policies now they're changing their tune. A hell of a lot faster than i figured they would too)

It was the ass kicking they got from Ninty and MS that made them change their tune. Don't think for a minute that if MS bowed out and Nintendo was the only competition that Sony wouldn't eventually try and pull that shit again, same if the Playstation brand went under and it was just MS out there.

This "one company is a good guy and the other is a bad guy" bullshit is pretty damned silly and basically it's the same logic that console warriors tend to use to justify their hatred of a piece of plastic that threatens their piece of plastic. I remember back in my Sega faithful days i didn't want Sony anywhere near this industry either, especially after the Dreamcast went under. I grew the fuck up and got over it. The Xbox brand isn't going anywhere anytime soon, don't like it don't buy it. Pretty simple.

Krilekk

Banned
Why else would it cost more when every piece of hardware in the PS4 is superior?

This really wouldnt bother me so much if it wasnt for the 5gb's of memory. I can just not buy an X1, but unfortunately 3rd party titles are going to be built around that pathetic 5gb limit.

Maybe because they know they have the right games for this price. The launch lineup for 180 destroys that of PS4. Period. And they seem to have limited quantities at launch, generating even more interest is not viable. It's gonna sell out no matter what. Sony takes on every preorder they can get and will have a hard time delivering those consoles this year. They did the same with PS3.

Maybe because they know they have the right games for this price. The launch lineup for 180 destroys that of PS4. Period. And they seem to have limited quantities at launch, generating even more interest is not viable. It's gonna sell out no matter what. Sony takes on every preorder they can get and will have a hard time delivering those consoles this year. They did the same with PS3.

Destroys? I don't think titles like Dead Rising 3 and Ryse are going to light the world on fire.

the launch lineups for both consoles don't look particularly interesting. though i guess dead rising 3 looks to be the most fun out of all the games coming out on launch.

spring 2014 at the earliest is when the next gen consoles will finally start to get exciting probably.

ekim

As the registration process starts today at Build, I expect we will see the full session agenda today. (how fucked is it, that you fly over to SF and have no agenda???)

This really shouldnt be something they save for a keynote. It should have happened years ago but If they dont pull and BS then self publishing will be great.

I wonder if we will see Sony and MS fight over marketing exclusivity and exclusive DLC for big self funded and published indie stuff like they do for multiplatform boxed games. That would be dumb.

None of those things are anywhere as bad as what Microsoft intended, and i said i never liked MS and i stand by it, most Third party games on the 360 were also available on the PS3, and the exclusives they had/have do nothing for me... Halo?, GoW?, Fable?... they do zilch for me, i never liked them, but after the Xbox One rumors started flying around that's when i started despising them, they saw the backlash on online forums but still changed nada... they thought they'd get away with it... that it was only the "nerds" that wouldn't put up with their nonsense, they had to wait until they saw pre order numbers and were humilliated on national tv... hence all the backpedaling that's going on.

So yes, nothing Sony has done so far has been as anti consumer and moronic as what microsoft tried to do... so forgive me if i don't think its fair that they should get away with a slap on the wrist.

A battle of semantics really, but one of these situations refers to things that actually happened Vs things that a company was going to do. There is a difference? Microsoft definitely has had their fair share of actual screw ups also, I just don't think it fair to paint Sony in a brighter light for some reason. They are both giant corporate monsters. If life were a game they would be the final bosses.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's not good for a company to say one thing first and then change their entire strategy three weeks later. I'm still going to switch to Sony. Microsoft has made a joke of themselves as a company, they clearly lack vision. I have no faith in them at all anymore.

I believe Sony still has a big lead.

Seriously.

If people prefer Xbox exclusives, power to 'em. But it's pure delusion to act as if MS is some noble company doing right for the sake of doing right by the fans. Fuck MS, I bought a 360 but I'm never buying the Xbone after watching the circus come to town, headed by their exec's and PR. Nothing but slaps in the face to the people who made the Xbox a household name. The arrogance of it all makes me absolutely sick.

Ha ahh Krilekk your a funny dude.

abadguy

Banned
Seriously.

If people prefer Xbox exclusives, power to 'em. But it's pure delusion to act as if MS is some noble company doing right for the sake of doing right by the fans. Fuck MS, I bought a 360 but I'm never buying the Xbone after watching the circus come to town, headed by their exec's and PR. Nothing but slaps in the face to the people who made the Xbox a household name. The arrogance of it all makes me absolutely sick.

It's pretty delusional to think any of these company's are "noble" and doing what's right "for the fans". They do what's right for their business, nothing more nothing less.

Seriously.

Sure as oppose to Sony after they lost their monopoly in console gaming this gen did a complete 180 on all their policy. Somehow that is OK because they are only doing good for gamers. I mean seriously, do you not remember PS3 and PSN on their first year, I do because I bought one. From the price points, getting two jobs, shitty on-line implementation, shitty on-line stores etc. They improve because the market force them to do so, the same go with Microsoft. Sony was no less arrogant last gen when they have a virtual monopoly, just because they are not your "evil" company of choice doesn't make them any less so.

I am not sure how Microsoft embracing self-publishing is a bad thing, it's one of the few thing I was hoping Microsoft would reverse their outdated policy, just as Sony did on great many things this gen and next.

you should tell us more about the launch lineup of both consoles.

androvsky

Nah release god dam WinRT with native support for Game OS.
If its only the Win8 OS part never mind then.

I haven't been following too closely, but what is the Win8 OS partition used for currently on the Xbox One? Multimedia apps from large content providers that could be built natively anyway?

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4809:8o1zuq.2.5

There is also a domain relating to this : www.microsoftlaunchworks.net

So maybe Launchworks is the new XNA?

edit:
Another domain named www.launchworksstudios.com rather points to a development team is renamed to launchworks.

edit2: www.playlaunchworks.com

hm...

Good job tracking all this stuff ekim... Also you guys should calm down with the fighting about launch line ups its not the right thread for it :p

Takiyah

I wonder if we will see Sony and MS fight over marketing exclusivity and exclusive DLC for big self funded and published indie stuff like they do for multiplatform boxed games. That would be dumb.

That is interesting. I would say this is most likely, if not already happening. Every edge possible over the other will be needed in the great battle of the console. (note: great = /sigh)

That is interesting. I would say this is most likely, if not already happening. Every edge possible over the other will be needed in the great battle of the console. (note: great = /sigh)

I would say that indie games selling so much better on the xbox platform (up to this point) would be an important point that MS would want to make to these indie companies.

BTW, Paul Thurott posted something on twitter back before the Xbox one reveal teasing something to the extent that there was a reason the xbox platform all of a sudden showed up on the Build website.

I would go so far as to say that if Microsoft allows this, I'll be putting There Came an Echo on the XBone for sure (barring technical issues).

You think you would be able to utilize Kinect voice commands with it?
Would be damn sweet if you got this on the XBone.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
There is also another keynote on Thursday.
Yeah, that one will most probably focus on servers etc... if there is anything that will be relevant to consumers, it will be on Wednesday. At least that is the way it has been the last two builds.

Biggest communication problem?

-Microsoft announces Windows 8. Fully supports self-publishing just like iOS. Financial terms are better than iOS
-Microsoft gets backlash because indie developers fear it's a "closed system". Notch et.al. freak the fuck out.

-Microsoft announces Xbox One and doesn't say anything about self-publishing. Or maybe some exec says it's not there, who knows. I don't remember. Either way, bad messaging.
-Xbox One announced to be using Windows under the covers
-Everyone freaks the fuck out, doesn't put things together that Windows 8 supports self-publishing (because everyone's still freaking the fuck out about that for some reason), therefore indicating that some of that will probably manifest itself in Xbox One (I don't know if it will)

It's a stunning display of miscommunication that results in hypocrisy that no one even realizes is taking place.

Exactly! I understand the need to not announcing anything at once, and why waiting could help generate more hype, and allow them to focus on the message they are trying to tell at a time. But they need to be more prepared to answer people who want to know the bigger picture. If they want to keep the secrecy, that's fine, but they should address this properly, like: "We are not ready to talk about this yet, but stay tuned in the next few months because you might see what you are hopping". Or I don't know, anything but having conflicting reports from each executive forcing everyone to jump to conclusions and them not clearing the confusion up.

Heh. Wow! I do not remember that at all... My god, MS sure takes their time with their messaging. Granted, it did work out in the end, but still... I don't see why they didn't announce it all at once. Thanks for that link and correcting me. :)

Like I said above, announcing little tidbits every now and them allows them to stay constantly in the press, plus allows them to focus on each messaging. For instance, E3 is to show off games, they don't really need to address the programing/publishing model of xbone there, so it makes sense to announce it in a proper event, where they can give all the details and having their entire team prepared to answer questions of this context...But they need to at least acknowledge that it's coming, because otherwise the hype turns into misinformation and overreactions and soon the hype completely backfires XD

xna replacement yet?

Xna was needed because the Xbox team had no working force to sign every single game, so they needed to have a sandboxed environment where they could be sure no one would use to create exploits on the console, and peer review ensured the games were free of improper material.

Now with WinRT they have the tools and workforce in place to allow native code but signed and guaranteed not to harm the user... So I'm guessing that if self publishing comes, they will focus more on making sure 3rd party engines are there than providing a tool this time...

Top Bottom