• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor - Microsoft declined the Star Wars KOTOR remake deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pelta88

Timed exclusive so waste of money for the console with the smaller user base. Rather see Microsoft spend money on its studios or funding full exclusives. Timed exclusives are shit and waste of money.

I think the platform split in game sales speak differently. Not to mention the consoles sold in bundles.

Destiny
Grand Theft
Battlefront
MGS
Arkham
Red Dead
Fifa
etc etc etc

Are marketing deals that pushed more consoles and game sales that I think you care to remember.

KOTOR & Harry Potter are going to move units on Mass.

JCK75

Devs of games that should be on all platforms approaching exclusivity and they reject it..
am I supposed to think that is bad?

When was the last KOTOR released?

Reviving a long abandoned series, decades later, having had multiple console generations in between, that was originally done by a now defunct studio...

Betty Crocker says these are the ingredients required for a complete disaster.

If course I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. Seeing as MS and Sony are both companies that tend to like money. It would seem MS made the wise call here. Apparently the risk didn't bother Sony too much. They'll either knock one outta the park here, or it will be an incredible flop. I can't really see it going anywhere in between.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And yet 343 still is the developer for Halo.

huh ?

nick-young-confused-face-300x256-nqlyaa.jpg

Last edited:

adamsapple

He’s saying 343 are shite

Yeah I get that, but it's comparing a studio created to manage one specific franchise vs a studio whose portfolio is iOS ports being given the reigns of a fan favorite.

This has far more potential to be more shite.

Or it could be awesome. Everyone is hoping it is going to be awesome, right?

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

baby monkeys GIF

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Weird. If the studio is shit then you invest in them to make sure they get all the resources they need to be successful.

I can understand passing on Marvel, but these are the kind of small deals MS shouldve made to fill in the gaps in their first party lineup. They are far cheaper than the billions they spent to get Starfield, and who knows, putting faith in smaller studios like this can pay off in a few years. Bluepoint wasnt always a tech giant. They started off small doing PS3 remasters. You have to develop relationships with these smaller studios.

MS had the right idea with Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and Playground Games. Investing in smaller studios that need first party help to become AAA. It's a shame they ditched that approach and went straight into acquiring publishers.
True. Let's just hope that at least Sony understands this fully and will support Aspyr in the development instead of sitting back doing nothing, and then throwing them under the bus when the game flops, like they did with Hello Games and NMS.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah I get that, but it's comparing a studio created to manage one specific franchise vs a studio whose portfolio is iOS ports being given the reigns of a fan favorite.

This has far more potential to be more shite.

Aspyr has done a lot more than iOS ports over the years. They are comparable to BluePoint. And if they get proper funding from Sony to bring in the talent then I don't see reason to make any assumptions at all.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
If the developer is who we think they are then honestly Microsoft did a good job on the pass.
They looked at the studio behind it not the brand name.

In fairness I do want this to be good, I really do but at this point I can only be pleasantly suprised.

adamsapple

Aspyr has done a lot more than iOS ports over the years. They are comparable to BluePoint. And if they get proper funding from Sony to bring in the talent then I don't see reason to make any assumptions at all.

I respectfully disagree. Blue Point's portfolio even long before Sony acquisition a massive mountain top over Aspyr.

Because Aspyr literally has never made a game in their entire existence. They just port old PC games to Mac and consoles.

and iOS, they're porting The Force Unleashed to Switch also.

-

Are we sure this KoTor thing is even a full remake or an enhanced remaster ? This studio has not made any full games like Mana said above.

Last edited:
If the developer is who we think they are then honestly Microsoft did a good job on the pass.
They looked at the studio behind it not the brand name.

In fairness I do want this to be good, I really do but at this point I can only be pleasantly suprised.

Couldn’t they of used their own studio for this kind of deal for the IP? The Initiative for example, could of been a cool first project for them?

adamsapple

In terms of the quality of their output, not the sheer number.

BP also developer the 360 version of Titanfall and the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus before being acquired.

So you already decided the game will be bad?

No, but the studio making it doesn't inspire much confidence.

I've never even heard off aspyr till this kotor remake, what have they made prior?

Lots of PC, Mac and iOS ports of existing games:

Last edited:

ManaByte

I've never even heard off aspyr till this kotor remake, what have they made prior?

Nothing. They just port old PC games to Mac and consoles.

They did the console ports of the Jedi Knight games, Republic Commando, Star Wars Racer, etc. Most recently the Switch port of Force Unleashed.

Topher

Gold Member
In terms of the quality of their output, not the sheer number.

BP also developer the 360 version of Titanfall and the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus before being acquired.

Tell me how they differ in "quality of their output"?

reksveks

Weird. If the studio is shit then you invest in them to make sure they get all the resources they need to be successful.

I can understand passing on Marvel, but these are the kind of small deals MS shouldve made to fill in the gaps in their first party lineup. They are far cheaper than the billions they spent to get Starfield, and who knows, putting faith in smaller studios like this can pay off in a few years. Bluepoint wasnt always a tech giant. They started off small doing PS3 remasters. You have to develop relationships with these smaller studios.

MS had the right idea with Ninja Theory, Obsidian, and Playground Games. Investing in smaller studios that need first party help to become AAA. It's a shame they ditched that approach and went straight into acquiring publishers.

Aspyr is a third party studio, owned by Embracer. I don't know how much they (MS/Sony) would want to commit especially as its also coming on PC.

I think the Embracer/Saber Interactive thingy gets a bit weird in terms of Sony providing proper funding a chunk of the development. It would be a bit weird but any weirder than Crystal Dynamics and MS, probably not in retrospect.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And their parent company is Saber Interactive.

Definitely iffy
She is no longer with them and has not been for some time. She was a mere blip.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
Yes. In fact, it was due to one man's moronic obsession with moneyhatting that cost every single PS5 owner Starfield.

YJ0iXqO.jpg
Do you really think MS bought Bethesda BECAUSE of moneyhatting and not because they need content on Gamepass? Do you really think business are this petty and silly? Specially a trillion dollar company? Do you not see how this sounds?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Yes. In fact, it was due to one man's moronic obsession with moneyhatting that cost every single PS5 owner Starfield.

YJ0iXqO.jpg
im pretty sure Zenimax is going to sell anyway lol, just caught Sony off guard.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Tell me how they differ in "quality of their output"?

Sure.

Last 3 released games on Asypr's profile, and I'll pick the ones with the highest meta score for multi plat releases.

Meta: 58
-

Meta 68
-

Meta 68

Last 3 conversions by Blue Point (not counting developed games)

Meta 80
-

Meta 86
-

https://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/titanfall

Meta 83

StormCell

First Marvel and now this...

If I had to think about my options (and costs), the consideration seems to be potentially mediocre games versus few to no games.

Depending on price tag, I feel like having recognizable IPs on the platform is going to push sales. After all, 360 had its share of mediocre platform exclusives that my 360-loving friends still played even if the games weren't great.

Not sure I understand this new approach, when Xbox + 360 had a winning formula.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Completely agree. Absolutely tone-deaf move (though Microsft tends to make them) especially considering how vocal was the Xbox community regarding the game (people have been asking for the remake for years).

I do wonder why Microsoft passes on so many deals and it seems they avoid anything third person related too.
I never thought about them passing on so many third person games. They definitely lean towards first person over third person by far. Also, they don't see to go after the single player games. The only major one that I know of is Plague Tale Requiem which is multi-plat but day one Game Pass. Other than that, it's all this other shit.
Because Aspyr literally has never made a game in their entire existence. They just port old PC games to Mac and consoles.
True but doesn't matter. The game has it's legacy on the original Xbox. If you're Microsoft, you do not pass on this game. Hell, they could have easily just said, we'll get the marketing for the game to ensure it releases on Xbox day one but could have avoided any exclusivity since Microsoft doesn't seem to go after exclusivity unless the game is an Indie or AA title. Also, Microsoft could have an internal studio oversee/help with development. I know Sony has XDev. Does Microsoft have an equivalent? Honestly, I don't even know if they do or not.

Either way, passing on this game is a miss in my eyes and with Sony overseeing the game, I do believe that it will be a great game as Sony is publishing the title so yeah, they will definitely be keeping a close eye on the game. Imagine it releases at a 90 or so MC/OC. They would be sticking it to Microsoft and Xbox fans. To me, this was a no-brainer for Microsoft and they whiffed. The only way this isn't a whiff is if the game turns out to be bad which in all honesty, I don't see happening.

Hugare

Timed exclusive, so who cares? Will be on Gamepass one year after launch, I bet

People comparing it to FF VII R "timed exclusive" deal are oblivious.

This aint Square, a japanese company known for their decades long relationship with Sony

The game could have been secured for game pass… that’s what they declined to do lol.
I'm not behind the scenes but I assume they'd have to pay AAA price for an unknown quantity with this game/studio, probably made more sense for them to acquire tunic lol. All speculation of course. Seems like the studio needed part of the development to be paid for.

kyliethicc

And if it were, some of those first page comments would be a 180. In fact, this would be considered ... a MEGATON.

episode 4 GIF by Star Wars
Reminds me of when VRR was a game changer lol

I'm not behind the scenes but I assume they'd have to pay AAA price for an unknown quantity with this game/studio, probably made more sense for them to acquire tunic lol. All speculation of course. Seems like the studio needed part of the development to be paid for.
They just spent like 80,000,000,000 buying publishers in the last 2 years. They’re not low on cash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom