• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mid-Gen Upgrades for PS5 and Xbox Series X devkits have been received by most AAA studios, according to GTA Forum insider

PeteBull

it's like this gen hasnt even started.

it's been almost 2 years.
after 2 years on the n64, we had...
  • mario 64
  • goldeneye
  • ocarina of time
  • banjo kazooie
  • star fox 64
  • mario kart 64
  • fzero x
  • turok 2
  • wcw vs nwo revenge
  • etc etc
Crossgen still alive, even sony doesnt wanna let it go for now(proof being Horizon Forbidden West, GT7 and even GoW Ragnarok have ps4 versions), lets hope by 2023 they will.

On the other side, i would do the same on their place, ps5 sales far below expectations coz of covid and 1,5 years+ of crypto boom/chip shortages, now war and massive inflation made them even bump its price by 50 usd/euro, maybe now hopefully ppl start beliving in 600$ at the minimum for ps5pr0, and yup it will sell like hotcakes as long as its any substantial upgrade vs ps5, hell u will find tons of customers as long as its not above 800usd :)

ToTTenTranz

Banned
I really liked the mid-8th-gens as means to avoid enormous performance gaps between consoles and the PC.
But I'm already committed to regularly upgrading my gaming PC, and if Sony starts shortening the release date distances between 1st-party Playstation games and their PC counterparts, I'll eventually see no reason to keep pumping money into Sony's hardware platforms.

Crossgen still alive, even sony doesnt wanna let it go for now(proof being Horizon Forbidden West, GT7 and even GoW Ragnarok have ps4 versions), lets hope by 2023 they will.

On the other side, i would do the same on their place, ps5 sales far below expectations coz of covid and 1,5 years+ of crypto boom/chip shortages, now war and massive inflation made them even bump its price by 50 usd/euro, maybe now hopefully ppl start beliving in 600$ at the minimum for ps5pr0, and yup it will sell like hotcakes as long as its any substantial upgrade vs ps5, hell u will find tons of customers as long as its not above 800usd :)

Sony’s flagship game next year will be a PS5 exclusive and that will be a growing trend.

mxbison

This "gen" (if you can even call it that so far) has been absolute shit and now we're already talking about upgrades.

Maybe lets just get it over with and go next.

GermanZepp

I don't mind, if this is true i asume it's gonna be in the same lines than before. Better performance, better resolution, upgraded storage and maybe better raytracing capabilitys. EDIT: and a new $$ pricetag

Last edited:
Current gen will not start until they:
a) increase their sales of series s|X and PS5, along with increasing the current gen manufacturing/production, and decreasing its MSRP price
b) stop making games for PS4/PS4Pro and discontinue PS4/PS4Pro Production (i think they already d/c bone x and bone)
c) Revamped game engines and optimize it utilizing SSD/Zen2/RDNA2 (unreal engine 5.0 is just one of the new engines)

I don't think current gen will start until late 2023. Pro consoles will come out holiday 2024. Even though the pro consoles will be shackled to cross gen of PS5 and Series S|X, it is a fuck ton better than potato jaguar and Vega/Polaris hybrid.

sendit

Current gen will not start until they:
a) increase their sales of series s|X and PS5, along with increasing the current gen manufacturing/production, and decreasing its MSRP price
b) stop making games for PS4/PS4Pro and discontinue PS4/PS4Pro Production (i think they already d/c bone x and bone)
c) Revamped game engines and optimize it utilizing SSD/Zen2/RDNA2 (unreal engine 5.0 is just one of the new engines)

I don't think current gen will start until late 2023. Pro consoles will come out holiday 2024. Even though the pro consoles will be shackled to cross gen of PS5 and Series S|X, it is a fuck ton better than potato jaguar and Vega/Polaris hybrid.
Nah, I’m willing to bet the Pro consoles will be out during the holidays of next year.

Last edited:

nikos

These may be the first console releases I skip, ever. I've already sold my XSX and have barely touched the PS5 since launch.

Of course, that's asy to say now. I'll probably grab the refresh and sell my PS5 for whichever exclusive comes down the road. Probably wouldn't cost much in the end.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So basically 4k60 console .what we should have gotten in the first place.
I have said this before, at least I think I have here anyhere :)

While Ybarra was still with Xbox he said it wouldn't be long and these current machine would be 1440/1080p 60 or 4k 30fps machines

These refreshes can't come soon enough for me as my PS5 can really struggle with Hell Let Loose at times.

SegaShack

October 2022.

Though PS5s are still limited and people still have kind a hard time getting one(and holidays are coming up, plus MW2 and GoW so it'll get tougher), you still can't walk into a store and just buy one two years later..

Let's go ahead and make a Pro system and spend production on that. Wat?

I wouldn't have expected a Pro version of either system until 2024 if they did one, if I'm honest.

What kind of power bump would it realistically have? I guess better capabilities for Raytracing and more native 4k/60?

Which... I'm not that tech savvy, but doesn't that on PC still require a pretty powerful rig for newer games?
What does demand have to do with a refresh? If the iphone 4 was in demand should the iphone 5 not have been made?

PS4 Pro came out in 2016, 3 years after the PS4.

The PS5 Pro coming out in 2023 would also be 3 years after PS5 release.

These systems still struggle to do 4k with 60 fps for games and their base storage situation is abysmal.

Last edited:

sendit

What does demand have to do with a refresh? If the iphone 4 was in demand should the iphone 5 not have been made?

PS4 Pro came out in 2016, 3 years after the PS4.

The PS5 Pro coming out in 2023 would also be 3 years after PS5 release.

These systems still struggle to do 4k with 60 fps for games and their base storage situation is abysmal.
Agreed. I don't understand this thought process. Specifically, for a business. Does innovation stop because demand cannot be met? Think about that, for people that say otherwise.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not complaining. But I'm generally on the minority side. I understand the idea of parity between a single gen, defending not doing mid-gen refreshes. On the other side, I still think next-gen could have been more powerful. I'm torn between the two but I'd welcome a PS5-Pro/Series X+/Z/pro/elite.

I have said this before, at least I think I have here anyhere :)

I don't see how that was ever realistic for consoles that were probably finalised in 2018/19, and expected to cost around 500.

Even as we approach 2023, there are very few GPUs capable of 4k60 - and these cards still cost more than a current gen console.

Last edited:
Holiday 2024 would be the ideal release date. I just don't see it coming out in holiday 2023. They need to solve the physical media problem as well. Ultra-Blu-Ray Disks are just outdated. They can create an external Ultra-Blu-Ray Disk drive for your current Ultra Blu Ray games. A SD-Card 1TB+ physical media format with 4GB/sec or higher read/write speed with a fast internal NvME SSD 10GB/sec-20GB/sec and USB 4.0 implementation will make it like a cartridge like experience. I just cant stand game installations anymore.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Holiday 2024 would be the ideal release date. I just don't see it coming out in holiday 2023. They need to solve the physical media problem as well. Ultra-Blu-Ray Disks are just outdated. They can create an external Ultra-Blu-Ray Disk drive for your current Ultra Blu Ray games. A SD-Card 1TB+ physical media format with 4GB/sec or higher read/write speed with a fast internal NvME SSD 10GB/sec-20GB/sec and USB 4.0 implementation will make it like a cartridge like experience. I just cant stand game installations anymore.
Supposed to get that PS5 with the detachable disk drive holiday next year (according to rumors) wonder if that might come into play here

Well, IF this is true, I imagine Sony doing the same thing they did with the PS4 Pro. Up the frequency on the CPU a bit and double up on the GPU. That would give us a ~21Tflops machine. Pricing will most likely be different from last gen, however, since I doubt they can match the OG PS5 price. Best case scenario is the PS5 drops to $449, while the Pro launches for $549.

sendit

Waste of everyone’s time and resource. Physical media is on life support. The problem is the 2 people at the butt end of of 2022 still supporting it.

Last edited:
Waste of everyone’s time and resource. Physical media is on life support. The problem is the 2 people at the butt end of of 2022 still supporting it.

I agree but how would you purchase games then? Even if you were to purchase it online, games are requiring more space. Expect a single game to be 200GB-300GB or higher, so how can you save that on a 1 TB NvME SSD that is highly customized? Lastly, the NVME SSD will not be 1 TB, it will be less than 800GB because of OS footprint and other system resources.

Storage is a problem that needs to be addressed in saving games and purchasing games.

The Pros for both current gen machines will be out when they stop making games for the XB1 and PS4, and I can't see that happening for at least a few more years. I want a PS5 Pro now since the PS5 can't run the most demanding games at 4K60. But I can't see a PS5 Pro until the Fall of 2025 at this point.

PerfectDark

Banned
We have yet to get any good or big time games on Series X or PS5. I am all for better hardware. F2P trash halo and playstation got Horizon forbidden west. That is about it for big games so far in 2 years. Everything else was bad or delayed until 2023/24. By the time the good games release it will be on PS6.

This has been the worst consoles ever released since the first Nintendo. You can just skip this gen and miss nothing.

Last edited:

Kumomeme

if this is true, then xbox developers will need to handle 3 sku in future foward.

in previous gen we already see that lot of game get 'neglected' of update patch for stronger version of console refresh. wonder how it will be this time.

Last edited:

Reallink

There's definitely a market for a 700$ pro ps5 Hopefully it launches in 2024 no sooner.

If you're looking to spend $1200 on Playstations (or $2400 if you're also buying the Xbox's), as ridiculous as Nvidia's pricing is, you might as well just buy a 4090 at this point. It'll still be at least 2-3x faster than a Pro or Series Z console. Even correcting for Nvidia's "fake flops", it's a genuine 60+ teraflop card.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
If you're looking to spend $1200 on Playstations (or $2400 if you're also buying the Xbox's), as ridiculous as Nvidia's pricing is, you might as well just buy a 4090 at this point. It'll still be at least 2-3x faster than a Pro or Series Z console. Even correcting for Nvidia's "fake flops", it's a genuine 60+ teraflop card.
yeah the more consoles would cost, the more inexcusable would resolution or framerate limits be and begging devs/sony to do simple ini fps unlocks

Kerotan

But I'm not looking to buy an Xbox also. Just 1 console and whether it's 500 or 700 it will always be better then buying a 500 or 700 pc.

Reallink

But I'm not looking to buy an Xbox also. Just 1 console and whether it's 500 or 700 it will always be better then buying a 500 or 700 pc.

Fair enough, but I would presume anyone who wanted a PS5 will have already bought one by 2024, ergo it and the Pro are both part of the buy in cost. Certainly the vast majority of Pro buyers will be upgrades from base PS5s.

Last edited:

Shwing

Just as a matter of interest, for those willing to splash out on potential new Pro machines... would you not be better switching over to PC (and never worry about if/when will next gen/Pro consoles come out).

Elios83

Both PS5 and Xbox Series X were designed to be really powerful at launch, it was impossible to ask for more powerful APUs using 2019 technology with a target price of 499$ (even 399$ for PS5 Digital).
Also even with Pro systems you'll see developers offering 4k+ray traced reflections,shadows and global illumination at 30fps.
Then you can wait for the PS6 running the same games at 8k/60fps :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Hardware power is never enough.

In any case I think that 2024 is the right time for these mid gen upgrades.
2023 should be about leaving cross gen and shortages behind.
Also prices would be too high, there's the risk of 599$-650€ launch prices :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Just as a matter of interest, for those willing to splash out on potential new Pro machines... would you not be better switching over to PC (and never worry about if/when will next gen/Pro consoles come out).
No cause I like my games physically as long as that’s a limitation on pc it’s not an option

if you wait for the PS5 pro, why stop there the PS6 won't be far behind but then why buy the when PS6 pro not be long after that. nah just get a ps5 and be happy
The ps6 is rumored to be all digital so that kills the platform for me the ps6 is also at least 5 but more likely 6-7 year away which is a lot different from around 2

The Pros for both current gen machines will be out when they stop making games for the XB1 and PS4, and I can't see that happening for at least a few more years. I want a PS5 Pro now since the PS5 can't run the most demanding games at 4K60. But I can't see a PS5 Pro until the Fall of 2025 at this point.
They really should avoid an odd numbered release year cause it will slot into a period where there isn’t a new rdna architecture being released to use for example in your 2025 example rdna 4 will be a year old and rdna 5 will be releasing in 2026 making the pro immediately outdated upon release

I’m not as excited for mid gen refreshes this gen as compared to last gen. I bought into the hype last gen with the Pro and One X mainly because I was an early 4k tv adopter.

Now with the current gen, I don’t know how to feel. It’s like I feel like I should be excited but the lack of true current gen games and current gen optimization has me feeling blah about it.

Probably be a sucker anyway and buy both.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
adam lambert queen GIF

I’m not as excited for mid gen refreshes this gen as compared to last gen. I bought into the hype last gen with the Pro and One X mainly because I was an early 4k tv adopter.

Now with the current gen, I don’t know how to feel. It’s like I feel like I should be excited but the lack of true current gen games and current gen optimization has me feeling blah about it.

Probably be a sucker anyway and buy both.
The prospect of unlocked vrr modes and dynamic resolution automatically makes pros enticing

Kerotan

Fair enough, but I would presume anyone who wanted a PS5 will have already bought one by 2024, ergo it and the Pro are both part of the buy in cost. Certainly the vast majority of Pro buyers will be upgrades from base PS5s.
Probably a mix of both tbh. And the ps5 won't lose it's resale value so the upgrade to a pro won't cost much assuming you can actually get one.

Top Bottom