• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mid-Gen Upgrades for PS5 and Xbox Series X devkits have been received by most AAA studios, according to GTA Forum insider

MarkMe2525

You couldnt put a headset on the S that looks and plays like shit, it would make the differences between the S and X too obvious and thus render the S an obsolete console. Ms will launch a new console, with rejiggered internals and put VR on that console as a selling point. You then have three tiers of xbox; Series S, Cheap streaming for people who mainly use it for media and a bit of gaming, Series X Medium tier for those who want to play current gen games locally and Series VR Enthusiast/hardcore tier, which would allow the best, most cutting edge place to play console games, with the option of Vr for the enthusiast
I mean, one can dream. I think it's silly to suggest MS would fear people noticing a capability difference between Series S and X, as that is how the box is marketed. It's made to be less capable and priced accordingly. The fact that people will notice a difference is a given and expected.

This idea that MS would lock VR to an enthusiast model of the Xbox just doesn't
fit their messaging. It contradicts "bringing more games to more devices" and frankly I just don't think it's a plausible possibility in their current position in the market.

@Topher

Before I joined gaf I posted on other gaming websites. I was 1 year ahead of the news of an amazon like firestick (still coming, it isn't cancelled) and 6 months ahead of the purchase of Acti.
I would love to see some receipts.

Last edited:
From last gen to current gen CPU made a huge step. Compared to the fastest currently available CPUs the ~Zen2 CPUs are not that bad (i would guess factor 2).
But if you compare the GPU in current gen with fastest currently available GPUs you get about factor 8.
Why do you think CPU performance is a bigger problem than GPU performance in current gen?
Zen 2 has been causing cpu limitations in rt games

Moses85

I already went next gen. RIP 30fps.

fRfk2xt.jpg
I will think about you on November the 9th while I enjoy

God Of War Thor GIF by PlayStation

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Last edited:
I mean, one can dream. I think it's silly to suggest MS would fear people noticing a capability difference between Series S and X, as that is how the box is marketed. It's made to be less capable and priced accordingly. The fact that people will notice a difference is a given and expected.

This idea that MS would lock VR to an enthusiast model of the Xbox just doesn't
fit their messaging. It contradicts "bringing more games to more devices" and frankly I just don't think it's a plausible possibility in their current position in the market.
More games more devices is aimed at smartphones

If microsoft released a VR headset today, the series X wouldn't be up to snuff to make those games run well on consoles, they would automatically lose to Sony by a good margin. Then the headset would have to be compatible on PC otherwise people would (continue) to use 3rd party headsets to play Microsoft games.

Anyway, we will see in good time

I would love to see some receipts.
In time

G-Bus

Banned
I'm curious how companies could justify this with the fact a lot of games are still cross gen with very few dedicated for the series x/PS5.

I still feel like we haven't really touched on what these consoles can do and we're gearing up for PS5.5
Rediculous.

RCU005

I bloody hope so im a console guy but Plague Tale R and Gotham Knights both being locked into 30fps modes doesn’t look good and I’d happily pay up to 1k for a 4k60 machine.

Don’t make me get a gaming PC please!
Come one man, have a little common sense. It’s obvious that the thing ruining this gen spec-wise is the Series S. Many have said so and even the developers have said so, too. There is no way a multi platform game is going to ever be allowed to be released only on Series X, and the series S is more than half the power of the PS5/Series X.

Microsoft did the Series S to screw everyone (customers, developers and publishers) only to be able to say the have the cheapest console (which ironically doesn’t even sell well)

But if you want to spend 1000+ in your PC to play a multi platform game at 60 fps be my guest. Everyone is free to waste their own money.

What they need to do, is make PC exclusives to show the true power of PC. Every game that’s on PC is either on console first or made for console anyway. And many PC exclusives are just strategy games or stuff like that. It would be interesting to see an open world or adventure game made for and exclusive on PC, then and only then it might be worth it to have one.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Sounds like a summer/fall 2024 launch to me for mid-gen refresh consoles. Phones typically get the highest priority.

Who knows, it could very well be next summer as in 2023, but I wouldn't be shocked at 2024 either.

Also anyone questioning this seriously needs to stop with with weird "i don't see da pointz" , did some of you really fucking think when you bought a Lexus, next year they wouldn't make another model to make you feels special or something? lol

Its a weird amount of delusion and I think some that don't actually own businesses have a hard time understanding this. Sony and MS are not your friend, they didn't make a PS5 or Series X solely for you alone as some personal favor with a promise to never make a new system again or something, they do this to make money. Thats it.

Even the whole logic of "what could they really do new" anything the fuck lol 8K, more frames, add a second M.2 slot, add in a PS5 Pro controller, more powerz, more moneyz lol Someone will buy it, a market exist even if some of you think its pointless, thats like saying a 4090 is pointless, I mean da 3090 could blah blah blah . They don't care. Their goal is to make money, sell a new sku and tell you why you need it or something. We literally had this whole fucking thing with PS4 Pro...oh its not REAL 4k, da checkerzBOREDS and that shit literally exist doesn't it? lol Someone bought it though right? So I think it will exist not because PS5 or Series X is weak, but because they can make it more powerful, someone will buy it and they can make more money with a different sku.

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I really hate this mid-gen stuff. Over if the reasons I like consoles is that I don't need to upgrade or anything to have the best experience. This totally negates that. Just give me a new generation.

FritzJ92

Please be called Xbox Series Xes
Because this is an excess of consoles available that does the same thing. PS and Xbox are pretty much the same thing at this point.

Also FOMO will ensure I buy any pro PS5 or Xbox.

njean777

PS5 and XSX do have RT performance of the RTX 2060 class cards, which is pretty pathetic.

Hopefully mid gen refresh consoles will be closer to RTX 4080 in that regard in 2024?

For consoles 2 years old, and half the price of a PC even 2 years ago? No, that is not pathetic.

ZehDon

Gold Member
Not buying it. I'm just not seeing the value proposition for the companies themselves: Xbox Series X and PS5 barely have current gen games to play, Microsoft and Sony are struggling to keep up with demand, and everyone is still hurting from continued supply issues which ever more hardware would only accentuate.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Who knows, it could very well be next summer as in 2023, but I wouldn't be shocked at 2024 either.

Also anyone questioning this seriously needs to stop with with weird "i don't see da pointz" , did some of you really fucking think when you bought a Lexus, next year they wouldn't make another model to make you feels special or something? lol

Its a weird amount of delusion and I think some that don't actually own businesses have a hard time understanding this. Sony and MS are not your friend, they didn't make a PS5 or Series X solely for you alone as some personal favor with a promise to never make a new system again or something, they do this to make money. Thats it.

Even the whole logic of "what could they really do new" anything the fuck lol 8K, more frames, add a second M.2 slot, add in a PS5 Pro controller, more powerz, more moneyz lol Someone will buy it, a market exist even if some of you think its pointless, thats like saying a 4090 is pointless, I mean da 3090 could blah blah blah . They don't care. Their goal is to make money, sell a new sku and tell you why you need it or something. We literally had this whole fucking thing with PS4 Pro...oh its not REAL 4k, da checkerzBOREDS and that shit literally exist doesn't it? lol Someone bought it though right? So I think it will exist not because PS5 or Series X is weak, but because they can make it more powerful, someone will buy it and they can make more money with a different sku.

My thought is that - why not?

This gen is going to be extremely long. We are still getting last gen cross gen releases from ps4. That released nearly a decade ago.

As long as development isn’t significantly hampered, which it won’t be, it will essentially be a transition from removing cross-gen and solely supporting new gen plus new gen mid refreshes.

If we can get 4K60 instead of 1440P60, that’s a nice upgrade. Plus we will have RDNA enhancements, better ray tracing, and so forth. PS6 isn’t going to come out until 2028 or so. That’s a long wait

I don’t see the harm. Let those that want premium consoles get one. I’ll be there day 1

TrebleShot

I don’t understand why Sony or MS haven’t just taken on the mobile phone model and release an updated model every year or so, you’d keep up with current tech and can make iterative improvements on the technology and capabilities of the machine.

It’s the same with every industry if you don’t want to buy it, don’t.

reksveks

I don’t understand why Sony or MS haven’t just taken on the mobile phone model and release an updated model every year or so, you’d keep up with current tech and can make iterative improvements on the technology and capabilities of the machine.

I think they are transitioning more towards that model but unlike mobile, laptops and TV, the software (specifically content) compatibility was a bit more fixed.

I think 3 years between an iteration is my prediction.

Reallink

GPU's aren't updated frequently enough, which is compounded by the scale and complexity of manufacturing, 3-4 years is pretty much the minimum where it begins to make sense. Any sooner and they'd be wasting 10's or 100's of millions of dollars retooling their manufacturing lines for 20-30% improvements that would bomb sales wise. Additionally, many developers couldn't even be arsed to make a single Pro or X preset, imagine depending on them to target 10 different annual SKU's..

Last edited:

Codeblew

When are we expecting 3 nm to go into full production?
Well with 6nm just coming out and Moore's law pretty much being a thing of the past now, it is kind of hard to guess. Plus with companies playing marketing games with what "nm" means, I am not sure that nomenclature even makes sense any longer.

Mephisto40

I can understand them making a slim model of the current consoles, but it seems pointless to bring out a model with better specs when they are still making games cross gen with the PS4 and Xbox One

Azurro

Banned
I really hate this mid-gen stuff. Over if the reasons I like consoles is that I don't need to upgrade or anything to have the best experience. This totally negates that. Just give me a new generation.

There is a market for people wanting an upgrade, I'll be happy to get a ps5 pro if it has more than 2x the performance, improved rt and such.

I've never understood the people that complain about those, it's not like the base consoles aren't the baseline performance and devs will always make sure the game runs well there because hey, they are the great majority of the market.

Loxus

PS5 has had a handful and I would love to see what those wizards at Insomniac could do would double the PS5 horsepower
I think your over estimating what the Pro models are supposed to be about.

PS4 Pro was about running the same game at higher framerate and resolution, not better graphics.

Loxus

A 6 year gen eh. The gen was already pushed back a year or so due to the pandemic delaying everything, so effectively that'd be a 5 year gen cycle. Seems much too short, IMO.

I'd expect this gen to last til 2027/2028, so a mid-gen refresh in 2024 lines up pretty well with that time table. Hopefully by then Sony will have their ReRAM production going so we'll have ReRAM replacing the SSD inside the PS6. :)
The way how I see it with cross gen being so dominant, generations are having less of a meaning.

Releasing the PS6 6 years after the PS5 is a much better approach than dragging out the generation for 8 years.

samoilaaa

for people that want to play 2024+ games with high settings/rtx on/ 60 fps a mid gen refresh will be useful
if medium settings/30 fps or low-medium settings/60fps doesnt bother you then you dont need a mid gen refresh

samoilaaa

There is a market for people wanting an upgrade, I'll be happy to get a ps5 pro if it has more than 2x the performance, improved rt and such.

I've never understood the people that complain about those, it's not like the base consoles aren't the baseline performance and devs will always make sure the game runs well there because hey, they are the great majority of the market.
i would definetly buy one , im the type that wants as high graphics as posible on consoles

Dibils2k

i cant see midgen being as useful this time... considering games dont have unlocked resolution and the frame targets have been very consistently hit so without a patch a midgen console is not gonna bring any benefits...

Top Bottom