• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: MS launching Xbox One Mini in October (Truckloads of salt)

A discless XB1 and a slim will both come but I do not believe either will happen in 2015.

Both of their previous slims for Xbox 360 launched the week they were announced... I just can't see them doing it this holiday. Next E3 seems more likely

It's an easy way to jump into next gen if it's cheap enough.

Some people like all-digital. Xbox games with Gold, Backwards Compatible digital titles, streaming, there is a library to support it.

If the Arcade could sell, why not this?

correct - a lot of grains of salt.

Yep. That's how I was reading it.

But still - does this make sense for Microsoft? I can't really see how it does, especially this thing wouldn't fit into the way they're designing the backwards compatibility functions of the One.

Highly doubtful.

an xbox 360 mini would have been better but now that the one is getting backwards compatability I doubt that we will see one.

A smaller xbox one would be nice though cutting the bluray drive this soon would be murder.

GlamFM

Banned
I like my ONE as it is, don´t use the BlueRay Drive, though...

A new PS4 that is as quiet as my ONE is what I really want :/

Ape

Banned
an xbox 360 mini would have been better but now that the one is getting backwards compatability I doubt that we will see one.

A smaller xbox one would be nice though cutting the bluray drive this soon would be murder.

Depends on how low they get the price, Black Friday deals for this thing could be pretty great for people

No bluray is kinda odd considering they are pushing 360 bc unless they mean no Blu ray funcionality. I'd buy it tho since I'm all digital

you can get the BC games from Xbox Gold games of the month.

Honestly, it's gonna happen. Digital is the future. We know what Microsofts original plans were and how that fit into the digital only future so it's not shocking to see they are pushing for that concept in a much more PR friendly way.

Who exactly are they going to sell the 360 mini too? Little point in doing that without having the same concept for current generation consoles.

sonto340

Quieter? It's already silent.
I always see this, but my xbox one is far from silent as are any I've ever seen in person. It sure started silent, but my power brick makes an absolutely noticeable amount of noise.
Unit Itsekf is absolutely silent tho.

Neoxon

Didn't Microsoft try the digital-only bullshit once before? While sure, they're at least offering a physical option, I'm not sure if this will go over well. If this ends up being true, I'll pass.

kingwingin

you can get the BC games from Xbox Gold games of the month.

Honestly, it's gonna happen. Digital is the future. We know what Microsofts original plans were and how that fit into the digital only future so it's not shocking to see they are pushing for that concept in a much more PR friendly way.
but the point of adding bc is to help those 80 million 360 owners to migrate to the X1. No dvd drive defeats that purpose

Kandinsky

tumblr_lqqlnwCSvV1r2pbmto1_250.gif
Lol I miss this show so much D:

Theorry

Dont know. Would be a really late announcement. Also with all the bundles with the normal xbox already announced for the holidays

Kathian

Banned
I always see this, but my xbox one is far from silent as are any I've ever seen in person. It sure started silent, but my power brick makes an absolutely noticeable amount of noise.
Unit Itsekf is absolutely silent tho.

It tends to be based on peoples set up; prefer a quiet unit and loud power brick though.

Podge293

depending on the price point, i'd be tempted to buy it to store under the auld tv in the sitting room

think i've only got like 3 disc games for the X1 this gen

but the point of adding bc is to help those 80 million 360 owners to migrate to the X1. No dvd drive defeats that purpose

This mini XB1 isn't for them obviously, if BC is that important (and trust me people horribly overestimate how much BC is actually used) they can get the normal XB1, not really an issue.

Lets be real, BC is more of a PR stunt than something that's actually used by the majority of people.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'd probably upgrade to this. No love for physical. The console's size is my biggest complaint, it shouldn't be bigger than a PS4 and I'd prefer to use it vertically.

I'm curious, why all digital? Aren't you concerned about potentially losing your entire library of games?

I'm all digital. Theft, fire, natural disaster, etc can all ruin physical games. No delivery method is infallible. And when the US exchange rate is good it's cheaper than buying physical locally.

e: and holy shit so much storage space saved. Cases are the devil.

Nephtes

Didn't Microsoft try the digital-only bullshit once before? While sure, they're at least offering a physical option, I'm not sure if this will go over well. If this ends up being true, I'll pass.

My PS4 and XOne are already both digital only. It's the future!
Never having to Neanderthal it over to the game system to change discs makes me feel like I'm living in Back to the Future 2's version of 2015... Hoverboard and all.

Edit: Granted, I don't know how backwards compatibility would work without a physical media drive... Unless you rebuy all your last gen games digitally again...

Atolm

I can believe console SKUs without BR drive in this day and age. Wouldn't surprise me.

An Intel Skylake processor? Yeah, good luck with that.

Hugstable

Banned
hmm if it lessens the price of the system then this would be great for me as I was wanting to get an Xbox One by Black Friday and I want to go all digital in the first place. Then again though I really want to play Tales of Vesperia and don't know if they offer that digitally or my only option there is physical.

Jigorath

Banned
Not happening this year. They've already announced a bunch of bundles for the normal Xbone. Maybe next year if sales start to slump.

topplehat

No blu-ray drive would be a bold move that I wouldn't really want. I could see them dropping the TV stuff (HDMI in). Interested in this if it pans out.

Alx

Have you noticed how most electronic devices are sold without a physical drive nowadays ? Even laptops don't have them any more.
Most people are digital-only on phone, tablet and PC already, it's just a matter of time before it reaches consoles.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Are there any major game/hardware/trade shows in October, or will the hold their own press event for all the new gadgets?

Yep. That's how I was reading it.

But still - does this make sense for Microsoft? I can't really see how it does, especially this thing wouldn't fit into the way they're designing the backwards compatibility functions of the One.

Highly doubtful.

MS is probably never outselling PS4, even in USA. Why not diversify the SKUs, offer a cheaper price without coming at a cost, and move some cheaper consoles to those on the fence?

Is there any reason the option doesn't already exist? If I'm not mistaken, a lot of people this gen have gone somewhat more digital.

I would think it's better than just sitting around and coming second to PS4.

Dont know. Would be a really late announcement. Also with all the bundles with the normal xbox already announced for the holidays

Launching it in October would not be late for anything. Far enough ahead of the Thanksgiving buying season. Prior to the launch of many significant November titles. Considering how successful EA Access has been for Xbox One, I'm sure they're thinking consumers are ready to go all-digital. I believe they are.

I get what you're saying about the bundles, but the system still isn't on fire. This could definitely be a shot in the arm. I would love to see the market reaction to a major home games console launching as digital-only. I think it would be very successful.

Who exactly are they going to sell the 360 mini too? Little point in doing that without having the same concept for current generation consoles.

a mini 360 would have been great a year ago, now not so much.

I mean with all the apps and digital games the 360 has it would have been a great micro console if they could shrink it down and give it a £99 price tag.

Neoxon

Have you noticed how most electronic devices are sold without a physical drive nowadays ? Even laptops don't have them any more.
Most people are digital-only on phone, tablet and PC already, it's just a matter of time before it reaches consoles.
That's why I have a separate DVD drive for my laptop (& am planning on getting a Blu-Ray drive). There are still people with limited access to the internet & those with data caps. So while an option for either a console that can take discs & a digital-only console is fine, I don't see digital-only being the only option for consoles anytime soon. At least not until America gets its shit together as far as internet services go.

I'm not really interested in this, as I like discs and use my XBO as a Blu Ray player, but if it is good for other folks, then more power to MS.

Too many people assuming no Blu-Ray playback means no Blu-Ray drive. I don't think that's the case, I think it'll still have the drive, but they aren't paying the license to play movies.

Frog-fu

Banned
No way they wouldn't have announced this at E3 or Gamescom by now.

Also, for real, XB1 Mini before XB1 Slim? C'mon, man. I don't buy it.

Yall are over-reaching. This will probably be like the Playstation TV. I highly doubt it will play XB1 games, probably just digital 360 games through back compat.

Top Bottom