• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Super Mario Bros U is coming to Switch

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I’m really liking the new additions to the game. Adding Peachette makes up for my big beef with NSMB Wii/U in that you’re stuck with two Toads. Now we’re back to Super Mario Bros 2 and all is well. Part owishes that Nintendo would offer more characters via DLC,

I like how Nintendo added features to make things easier for novice players, like Nabbit (the “baby” ) and the videos. The 3-up moon made me smile (can Nintendo just remake Super Mario World with this graphics engine, please?). The Three Stooges bumping mechanics are still in place, which always irritated hardcore gamers but was a ton of fun. With 3-4 players, games just collapse into chaos. Hey Moe, nyuk, nyuk!

Even though this is the textbook example of “contractural obligation” to get the suits off of Miyamoto’s back (he really hates having to go back to 2D Mario), everything looks terrific and enough fans missed this game the first time, so it’s a big win for everyone.

I know Nintendo doesn't do price drops for a lot of their games, but could this game maybe receive one in the near future? Never got to play this game before, and I don't have many games on my new switch. Would like to get it at some point, but at its price tag I'm more interested in getting Donkey Kong Country Freeze than this

Last edited:
I know Nintendo doesn't do price drops for a lot of their games, but could this game maybe receive one in the near future? Never got to play this game before, and I don't have many games on my new switch. Would like to get it at some point, but at its price tag I'm more interested in getting Donkey Kong Country Freeze than this

It's possible. Tropical was just on sale for $35 on walmart for Black Friday and $40 at Best Buy. For top tier 1st party games it seems black friday is the only day they go on sale really if you want physical.

There's some exceptions though like Odyssey and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 were both on sale for $40.99 on the eshop during the VGA's.

crobb991

Banned
i hope to christ this means more for the switch

would love to see a zelda hd trilogy set

this would defo mean id buy a switch

Mecha Meow

Already got my copy preordered and didn't mind double-dipping as I never played the Super Luigi U game and I get one of the best 2D Mario games in handheld form now.

I'll be doing a first run as Toadette for a different experience right off the bat. I do wish they had used Daisy though since she's my favorite Mario Bros character.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Get Tropical Freeze. It is by FAR the better game.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I'm still so mad that we get this old game instead of new 2D Mario goodness >.<.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
picked it up yesterday but not played it yet. never played it on Wii U so i'm happy it's out on Switch now.

2d mario is the best mario. odyssey is fun but side scroller mario is best.

I'm still so mad that we get this old game instead of new 2D Mario goodness >.<.
it's mainly just for all the people who never played it on Wii U. i'm sure there will be a new 2d game at some point.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
I never finished this on the WiiU and would like to but at 60 bucks Nintendo is fucking high.

They're not high. Their fans are really bad with money though and happily, often braggingly, overpay for software.

It's hard to blame Nintendo. Charge as much as people are willing to pay.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Even playing the first few levels now, the game totally holds up. Lots of secrets. Finding all the star coins is not always very straightforward. You have to really go out of your way to look for secrets in most levels.

If the game was called Super Mario World 3, then I think people would be looking at it correctly.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this game is pretty good, great even. i like it more than Super Mario World, which it reminds me heavily of. the level design is pretty decent, and some levels are actually challenging. overworld and mini bosses are very SMB3. it really feels like a remastered 3D HD version of the best of 2D Mario. the classic games will forever remain GOAT but this is a very good modern attempt. <3 it and i can't wait to see the next style variation on 2D games

Chittagong

Gold Member
So happy Nintendo does preloads. I am in a dive resort with 56kbps I which is nowhere near enough to get the game, but it was enough to validate it can be played!

bd73e3ed-c255-4558-9d4j8g.jpeg

A perfect, relaxed holiday game. Tried New Super Luigi U for the first time too, damn if it isn’t the Dark Souls of platform games. The time limit is certainly not relaxing, so I will focus now on three coining all NSMB U levels.

BlackTron

I really like this game and would play it more if I had it on Switch, but damn if $60 isn't a tough sell for a 2D Mario that I already have.

Maybe for $20 one day. In the distant future lol

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Tried New Super Luigi U for the first time too, damn if it isn’t the Dark Souls of platform games.
When I read something like this I wonder if really so few people have ever played a challenging game outside of (or prior to) Dark Souls. Luigi has a totally different kind of challenge than Dark Souls. It is a fast paced game, a very immediate game and it is optimised towards letting you repeat a challenge you have failed in immediately, rather than repeating labourious tasks beforehand. Also, each challenge takes 100 seconds tops, so no extended challenges such as a boss fight in Dark Souls. Assomeone who loves challenging games but hates Dark Souls, it is pretty frustrating to see those inaccurate comparisons all the time, because if a game really is "the Dark Souls of", then I sure as hell do not want any party of it.

Belmonte

For those who didn't play the original, this game is better than it seems. And this is the problem! I hope Nintendo change this damn art style! 5 games with it is too many!

Chittagong

Gold Member
When I read something like this I wonder if really so few people have ever played a challenging game outside of (or prior to) Dark Souls. Luigi has a totally different kind of challenge than Dark Souls. It is a fast paced game, a very immediate game and it is optimised towards letting you repeat a challenge you have failed in immediately, rather than repeating labourious tasks beforehand. Also, each challenge takes 100 seconds tops, so no extended challenges such as a boss fight in Dark Souls. Assomeone who loves challenging games but hates Dark Souls, it is pretty frustrating to see those inaccurate comparisons all the time, because if a game really is "the Dark Souls of", then I sure as hell do not want any party of it.

Haha, you are not wrong. I was indeed using “the Dark Souls of” meme rather than descriptor. Super Meat Boy or Hotline Miami would be more accurate but less fun descriptions :D

Top Bottom