• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Super Mario Bros U is coming to Switch

kaczmar

The sad thing is people have already started asking for Wii ports so we might not ever be in the clear.

I guess I wouldn't mind the remasters/ports as long as they were top rated titles, sold at significant discount (not more than $30), and intermixed with new and innovative titles.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
The sad thing is people have already started asking for Wii ports so we might not ever be in the clear.
When they are down to NES, they can just start rereleasing the Wii U games again "with support for New Switch XL".

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Is the Switch ever going to get any new games? Jesus.
We got games like Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 and recently we got Octopath Traveler. Aren't those considered "new games"!!? We also getting games like the new FE, Daemon X Machina and SMTV for next year.

There's a rich line-up of Wii U classics that Nintendo can steadily release over the course of the Switch's life. Appropriately mixed with brand new titles, I think these ports should act as a compliment to brand new titles. The second year of the Switch has been a little disappointing, but I can't really grumble too much, I'm still playing Breath of The Wild, Mario Odyssey, Stardew Valley and need to find the hours to step into Xenoblade's world as well. What interests me most is how Nintendo will leverage their big licenses in the next couple of years. With Breath of The Wild, there's potential for an amazing sequel which iterates on the some of the more nascent and opaque ideas. The console is an indie darling and third party support is slowly building up. There's so much potential here for Nintendo, but to carry a console on your back to its December years, requires forward planning, luck and a little help from the odd unprecedented relationship here and there. The Wii U proved they can't do it alone. Year 3 for the Switch will be very interesting indeed.

As for Super Mario Bros. U, it's a series which has never captured my imagination, failing to shine bright enough to emerge out of the shadow of Super Mario World, which, to my mind, is the finest traditional 2D platformer I've ever played. The series is a bad cover version of a classic song, without the soul and spirit of the original.

Owari

Not if they release a stylus.
Mario Maker will be just like other games designed around the two screen play of the Wii U (like Captain Toad and Breath of the Wild) and will be inferior on Switch because of that.

I'm still pissed about the clunky interface in BotW they even stripped in the Wii U version to keep the Seitch version superior. Anyone can tell the Shiekah slate is an in-game Wii U tablet.

zombrex

Best game in the series. They increased the difficulty to a more reasonable level other than ridiculously easy.
The co op mode where one person controls Mario and another draws platform on the wii u tablet is unbelievable fun.
Everyone needs to to give that a try, too bad it will probably be omitted from switch version.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
What good is a stylus when you have to have the screen docked when playing on aTV?

I wonder if Nintendo has any more patents up its sleeve. We saw with Party they found a way for 2 switches to work together and form almost one screen. You never know they could come up with some sort of casting option or some sort of faux screen that interacts with a docked switch.

Or create mode in handheld only and play mode in both?

I'm sure they will at some point and I wouldn't be surprised if it's already done.

But it won't be released until Nintendo feels they've reached max saturation with Odyssey. It's why I think they haven't released Wind Waker HD on switch because Breath is still selling really well.

The Wii U switch ports that have been released don't compete against anything else in N's library.

KellyM

I can see why Nintendo, would port this and other Wii U games. Many people who own the Switch probably never owned a Wii U. Let's be honest the Wii U was an overall failure. The games might have been good but people didn't want the system at the time. This also helps the Switch with its Library, I liked some of the Wii U games but never wanted to buy the system. I want a Switch, and the Wii U games they ported just helps the appeal,

Killer751

Banned
I can see why Nintendo, would port this and other Wii U games. Many people who own the Switch probably never owned a Wii U. Let's be honest the Wii U was an overall failure. The games might have been good but people didn't want the system at the time. This also helps the Switch with its Library, I liked some of the Wii U games but never wanted to buy the system. I want a Switch, and the Wii U games they ported just helps the appeal,

All Nintendo home consoles after the NES have been failures.

Killer751

Banned
The Super Nintendo wasn't. The Wii wasn't.

Lol.

The SNES lost over half of its fans to the Genesis, setting the standard for how Nintendo consoles generally perform. They do half as well as the previous console. We can see that pretty consistently throughout Nintendo's history.

Wii was NOT a success. It sold a lot of units to people who just wanted to play Wii Sports, but no one bought new games for it. If they were interested in new hardware... they bought a machine that could play real games, like the 360 or PS3. The Wii U sales reflect how badly the Wii was received among gamers, people who actually buy video games.

Vawn

Banned
Lol.

The SNES lost over half of its fans to the Genesis, setting the standard for how Nintendo consoles generally perform. They do half as well as the previous console. We can see that pretty consistently throughout Nintendo's history.

Wii was NOT a success. It sold a lot of units to people who just wanted to play Wii Sports, but no one bought new games for it. If they were interested in new hardware... they bought a machine that could play real games, like the 360 or PS3. The Wii U sales reflect how badly the Wii was received among gamers, people who actually buy video games.

Quit stating things as fact, when you really don't know.

Rank - Console name - hardware sales - software sales - attach rate
01 - Nintendo Gamecube - 21.74 - 208.57 - 9.59
02 - Wii - 101.63 - 916.15 - 9.01
03 - Famicom/NES - 61.91 - 500.01 - 8.07
04 - Super Famicom/SNES - 49.10 - 379.06 - 7.72
05 - Wii U - 13.36 - 92.35 - 6.91
06 - Nintendo 64 - 32.93 - 224.97 - 6.83
07 - Nintendo DS - 154.02 - 948.44 - 6.15
08 - Nintendo 3DS - 61.57 - 293.40 - 4.76
09 - Game Boy Advance - 81.51 - 377.42 - 4.63
10 - Game Boy/Game Boy Color - 118.69 - 501.11 - 4.22

Iaterain

Is the Switch ever going to get any new games? Jesus.
It is so true!

All what Nintendo is doing nowadays:
Porting old games like crazy;
Making 1.5 games with 60-70% recycled content;
Producing thousands "amiibo dolls for boys" that locks on disk content;
Selling glorified "Virtual Console emulator" as an expensive "mini consoles" line;
Banning kids and teens from their full priced online games in order to pressure them into paying for their bare-bones online service.
Abusing the copyright law in order to control youtube.

I think Nintendo is the worst and most shameless company in the industry, I wouldn't be surprised if they would open a patreon account to raise a little bit more money. Huge disrespect to this corporation.

JimmyJones

Banned
As a Switch owner who skipped the WiiU, the more ports the better! They need to get Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD on the Switch!

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
We got games like Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2 and recently we got Octopath Traveler. Aren't those considered "new games"!!? We also getting games like the new FE, Daemon X Machina and SMTV for next year.
Is next year 2021?

It is so true!

All what Nintendo is doing nowadays:
Porting old games like crazy;
Making 1.5 games with 60-70% recycled content;
Producing thousands "amiibo dolls for boys" that locks on disk content;
Selling glorified "Virtual Console emulator" as an expensive "mini consoles" line;
Banning kids and teens from their full priced online games in order to pressure them into paying for their bare-bones online service.
Abusing the copyright law in order to control youtube.

I think Nintendo is the worst and most shameless company in the industry, I wouldn't be surprised if they would open a patreon account to raise a little bit more money. Huge disrespect to this corporation.

New games published by Nintendo,

Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1-2 Switch
Mario+Rabbids Kingdom
Super Mario Odyssey
Fire Emblem Warriors
Kirby Star Allies
Snipperclips
Mario Tennis Aces
Octopath Traveler

edit, +
Splatoon 2
ARMS

You're right, not a hell of a lot but this is exacerbated by the fact Nintendo has fallen behind for many years now with limited third party support.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
New games published by Nintendo,

Zelda: Breath of the Wild
1-2 Switch
Mario+Rabbids Kingdom
Super Mario Odyssey
Fire Emblem Warriors
Kirby Star Allies
Snipperclips
Mario Tennis Aces
Octopath Traveler

You're right, not a hell of a lot but this is exacerbated by the fact Nintendo has fallen behind for many years now with limited third party support.
You forgot

Splatoon 2
ARMS

Wii was NOT a success. It sold a lot of units to people who just wanted to play Wii Sports, but no one bought new games for it.
((scratches head)) Yep, not even touching this one. Attach rates have been regurgitated enough times over the years that if this is what you want to believe, by all means go ahead and believe it.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I am very much looking forward to seeing New Super Mario/Luigi on Switch. If and when I finally get a Switch for my family, that will be the first videogame that I pick up (alongside Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart and Zelda, of course). I absolutely loved New Super Mario Bros Wii and that game was wildly popular anywhere I went. The Wii U sequels were successful for the platform but were never seen by many players as that system was never a success.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Also looking forward to the game as Wii U was the one Nintendo console I didn't buy and own. With DKC TF and NSMBUD, all I need is SM3DW which I would think will be a holiday 2019 title to go alongside their Pokémon RPG.

Two quick questions though regarding NSMBUD -

1. Can the PRO controller be used fully?
2. Are there any motion controls in this version?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dr.brain64

No way I'm buying this game for more than $10 but at least we know this port means that mario maker is around the corner

Vawn

Banned
Also looking forward to the game as Wii U was the one Nintendo console I didn't buy and own. With DKC TF and NSMBUD, all I need is SM3DW which I would think will be a holiday 2019 title to go alongside their Pokémon RPG.

Two quick questions though regarding NSMBUD -

1. Can the PRO controller be used fully?
2. Are there any motion controls in this version?

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You could use the Wii U Pro controller (eventually), so I'm sure you can for Switch.

There wasn't motion controls in the original. I assume that also stays the same.

Also. $60?? Goodness, we let Nintendo charge a ton for games. This has been $19.99 for years

Chittagong

Gold Member
I am SOOO happy this is coming to Switch. Absolutely loved NSMBU, but by the time I got to Super Luigi I was burned out by the game and eventually just sent back my Lovefilm rental without even playing it. Now I get to play it fresh.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Awesome! Nintendo needs to accelerate the Wii U ports; I really would love to play Pikmin 3 before they go ahead and make a new one.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am SOOO happy this is coming to Switch. Absolutely loved NSMBU, but by the time I got to Super Luigi I was burned out by the game and eventually just sent back my Lovefilm rental without even playing it. Now I get to play it fresh.

Sure, but things like MiiVerse and especially co-op play (where another player can assist you by adding) will be sorely missed :/.
I really liked Wii U Asynchronous co-op feature...

Last edited:

Allandor

oh no...
i really like 2d mario games, but can't Nintendo make a new game. Something i didn't play on my wii u?
but i must say, it is a miracle how long they need to port old games.

don't get me wrong, ports are nice for those who want to play those good old games, if the price is right, but Nintendo should really do something for those who played all most all their old games.

Last edited:
Yeah it was optional on the WiiU pad, the waggle was mapped to ZR from what I remember.
Am I wrong? Does this have forced motion controls? So far it all looks optional
In the preview build for the game picking up frozen enemies, and other players in co-op, was shaking the controller only. In the Wii U version this was done by shaking (Wii Mote) or ZR (pro controller) and gamepad could do both IIRC, but this also did the spin jump making for 2 functions with 1 button, on Switch ZR is now spin-jump only and shaking is pick up making them no longer shared by 1 button. Of course there could be options in the final version for the regular pro controller controls of Wii U, but we know how Nintendo loves forcing motion controls (despite all the criticism they keep receiving for it) and how they feel about giving players options for how they want to enjoy there games....

Last edited:

PseudoViper

To be completely fair and honest the Wii U has a damn great library, albeit small, but hella great games. I've played every last one and I'm not even mad at Nintendo for porting them to the Switch. Heck, I am super hyped to play Tales of Versperia on the Switch come next year; which is a port of an old 360 game.*

Plus, there's a lot of people that skipped the Wii U , but bought the Switch, so I'm perfectly 'OKAY' with their decision. And it's not like the Switch isn't getting new games either. A few have dropped this year and there's more to come 2019.

Last edited:
Top Bottom