• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: New Wii U controller (analog sticks)?

Orayn

REV UP THOSE FACEBOOK COMMENTS, 'CAUSE I SURE AM READY FOR SOME PEANUT GALLERY ASSESSMENTS!

23KPl.png

rpmurphy

No octogonal gate
One button left unlabeled
Picture taken at an angle like a hipster
Controller slightly off the desk
Some fat cord obscuring the left side of the controller
Messy desk
2/10 WOULD NOT HOLD

Ok in all seriousness, I really hope at least the left stick will have an octogonal gate.

No octogonal gate
One button left unlabeled
Picture taken at an angle like a hipster
Controller slightly off the desk
Some fat cord obscuring the left side of the controller
Messy desk
2/10 WOULD NOT HOLD

Ok in all seriousness, I really hope at least the left stick will have an octogonal gate.

It's so weird that the board seems pretty evenly split on this.
Half wants the gates, the other half likes the smoothness.

So, is it possible that one of those white buttons is to switch between using the TV, and using the pad's screen for personal play?

rpmurphy

I think a compromise can be made. Just have some weak notches at the eight locations so that I can tell if I am pushing the sticks in those precise directions. The 3DS slider has annoyed me a lot for Mario Kart 7.

Face buttons below the analogue are gonna be a pain to use. What the hell are they thinking?
This is probably the only major complaint left and I might be able to get over that. It may reach perfection if they switched the places of the face buttons and analog on the right side. The octagonal gate on the classic pro is also nice, but I don't have enough experience with it to say that I'll miss it.

This is still a big improvement over the last year's controller, though.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I can only imagine my thumb muscles getting in the way of a 2nd analogue stick directly below the buttons. I'm glad they kept it up top.

AniHawk

What's your second biggest

Quick if you say it now maybe they'll change it before E3
really, the way the ridges work around the top of the sticks are way better suited to sticks than slider pads. and they had them on the slider pads.

trying to remember a short hands-on demo from a year ago, i also kind felt like my thumbs were going down, into the device instead of resting on top, like i'm used to. i think i could have gotten used to sliders (especially if they were more like the 3ds ones), but it would have been weird for a while at first.

the controller itself is pretty light, and i don't imagine it would be too tough to play games on it, but i'm hoping for a variety of options, so if i can play with nunchuk + wii remote, or cc pro.

Not enough speculation on that square beneath the d-pad. My conservative guess says it's the NFC contact point but it's certainly odd.

It's the "Orange Port" of the Wii U. I'd say you've guesses it. They probably don't want users scratcjing up the screen with NFC toys.

I don't like the 3DS' analogue stick, so this is great news for me. I'm assuming it'll just be like the Gamecube / Nunchuck stick, now? I've never really had a problem with them, so it'd be fine by me.

KevinCow

Banned

I want someone to figure out a gate that lets me feel when I'm in one of the main 8 directions, but also lets me rotate more smoothly without CLICKITY CLACKITY CLICKITY CLACKITY.

Better, but that right analog really needs to be at the bottom. If you are holding something that big, you don't want to be holding it by just the top. However, then you loose easy access t the right triggers.

There is no real way to make that thing ergonomic.

AzaK

Is it me or is the right stick closer to the side than the left? Seems way too close for my liking. I have pretty big hands.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The most important part about this controller revelation is the green accents. That points heavily toward Jumpman23 being an insider, and thus his post about GTA V coming to Wii U in October 2012 all the more interesting.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37979873&postcount=13388
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37730502&highlight=#post37730502

He's posted about GTA in the past, too.. Is he feigning uncertainty and posing his hints as a question? He lives in Southern California... where are the Rockstars various studios located?

What green accents?

Top Bottom