• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] No Man's Sky Development / Technical Issues (Podquisition)

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Um, according to Sean Murray, the delay is simply to add-in more features and polish the game:

"Every hour of every day between now and then allows us to add more features, polish and diversity to our universe. Some of those features are things we haven’t shown anyone yet, but are our most requested." LINK

This needs to be addressed as soon as possible. If the reason for the delay is in fact the rumor - then Hello Games needs to communicate this to it's many patiently waiting fans.

If it's all bollocks, then they should let us know that too.

My God, if they add in biomes, this will be perfect. I hope that's one of the most requested features. Specially since I remember Sean acknowledging it at one point.

It's been obvious from day one that this game is going to be a disappointment.

You mean when they debuted at VGX all those years ago you were absolutely sure this was going to be a mess? A game you have yet to play? You sound awfully sure. No way to say for sure when it's almost 10 months away.

This all sounds like rumors, to be honest.

I think that the flood wiped out any chance of a 2015 release for "No Man's Sky" and yet the team was still pushing for that release window anyway.

Now, with Sony's backing, Hello Games has the opportunity to add-in all those features for release day that would have been DLC/update content much later on. That and polish the shit out of the game code, so that it runs like hot butter on PS4 and PC.

I'm all for the delay.

1). It's only 7 months.

2). Miyamoto said it best:

C8h1eGr.png

Wait, what?!?

How could an 8-core, 64-bit CPU on a system with 8 gigabytes of GDDR5 RAM have trouble running most anything nowadays?

I hope you're being sarcastic, but in case not:

The number of cores a CPU possesses (and how many threads can be processed simultaneously at any given point) is a measurement of the degree of parallelization that can be achieved. An "x"-bit CPU, where x is a number such as 64, is a measurement of memory bandwidth available to the CPU. GDDR5 RAM is a type of memory with a high bandwidth available, which is beneficial for the PS4 since it serves the purpose of system RAM, as opposed to being merely available for the GPU, as it is on PCs.

So in the event you're not being sarcastic, none of these is a direct measurement of performance, especially relative to another CPU or system configuration. If that were the case, performance improvements would have stopped years ago (and would only occur every several years). Also, none of what you mentioned in your post gets at what drives or hinders graphical performance in modern games (shader peformance, geometry fill rate, etc.)

Since we've hopefully established that the PS4 isn't a godlike or master system (No platform (including PC) is!) and that there are conceivable ways for a game to reach its graphical limits and "max out" a system, No Man's Sky's simulation is a workload that is typically CPU-constrained. CPU constraints are reached more quickly in games that run advanced simulations (perhaps a simulation of environmental or planetary systems) and have more simulation-driven objects on screen (crowds in AC: Unity, for example).

In conclusion, No Man's Sky is one of the most sophisticated games attempted to date and constrained by, at least originally being developed by a small indie developer with a limited budget. We don't know how much manpower or money Sony's contributed, so all we can say is it's a very ambitious title from a small developer.

Now, with Sony's backing, Hello Games has the opportunity to add-in all those features for release day that would have been DLC/update content much later on. That and polish the shit out of the game code, so that it runs like hot butter on PS4 and PC.

I'm all for the delay.

1). It's only 7 months.

2). Miyamoto said it best:

C8h1eGr.png

I hate that image because it oversimplifies the reality of budgets and game development. It also ignores whether the game is actually good. Of course a delayed game can be good when you start over until it's eventually fun.

To my knowledge, the extent of Sony backing NMS has never been made public. Beyond speculating on message boards, there's no definitive answer.

Did people forget the team got hit by a flood earlier this year already? Of course it would be delayed, their office got wrecked. This surely slowed down the development process.

Nzyme32

Did people forget the team got hit by a flood earlier this year already? Of course it would be delayed, their office got wrecked. This surely slowed down the development process.

That happened at the beginning of 2014. They had slated a release for 2015 after that happened, but obviously such a broad ranging release date was't exactly set in stone anyway

I can't believe people are actually commenting on a post that articulates an unsubstantiated and suppossed rumor made on a podcast by 3 gaming "journalists". Laura Buzz isn't really well known for her gaming news. I would put little to no faith on this rumor.

Let's just move on folks!

Danlord

I can't believe people are actually commenting on a post that articulates an unsubstantiated and suppossed rumor made on a podcast by 3 gaming "journalists". Laura Buzz isn't really well known for her gaming news. I would put little to no faith on this rumor.

Unfortunately, a few places have reported on it. All citing this thread with the Soundcloud link, I messaged Sean but he's not very active on Twitter but I suspect if there's mainstream sites publishing the same silly rumour he might be more inclined to comment.

[GearNuke] - No Man’s Sky development may be in trouble, PS4 version facing considerable issues
[GamingBolt] - No Man’s Sky On PS4 And PC Rumored To Be Having Pretty Severe Technical Issues
[PlayStation Lifestyle] - Rumor: No Man’s Sky Might Be Undergoing Technical Complications
[GamePur] - No Man's Sky Being Continuously Delayed Due To Technical Issues, E3 2015 Demo Was Showcased On PC

*sigh*

Unfortunately, a few places have reported on it. All citing this thread with the Soundcloud link, I messaged Sean but he's not very active on Twitter but I suspect if there's mainstream sites publishing the same silly rumour he might be more inclined to comment.

[GearNuke] - No Man’s Sky development may be in trouble, PS4 version facing considerable issues
[GamingBolt] - No Man’s Sky On PS4 And PC Rumored To Be Having Pretty Severe Technical Issues
[PlayStation Lifestyle] - Rumor: No Man’s Sky Might Be Undergoing Technical Complications
[GamePur] - No Man's Sky Being Continuously Delayed Due To Technical Issues, E3 2015 Demo Was Showcased On PC

*sigh*

There was a recent post here on GAF mentioning how gaming news now is just a repost of GAF threads/Reddit threads. The same applies here unfortunately and doesn't necessarily lead to credibility to this rumor IMHO.

These all sound believable, I would honestly be neither surprised nor particularly concerned if they were true. If they have to settle for a major downgrade on PS4, that would be ugly PR, but this has always been coming to PC also, right?

As for the other outlets running with this rumor, I need to start a rumor that I'm publishing a game my cats have been working on for 10 years and it's the best game ever

Because it's on neogaf everyone but Schrier will pick it up and run with it

Of course then Bish will ask me for proof and I'll be stuck talking about video games on Outpost Gallifrey for 6 months

I don't believe this. They've had a playable universe since before they showed it in 2013. They had shown the game to journalists beforehand, and due to the nature of procedural generation the universe would have existed then.

I also think because they have a good relationship with Sony, they've had a PS4 kit for a long time too. I'm sure it's not running optimally, but it wasn't delayed specifically for that but for additional content.

The scale of NMS is huge, so I expected problems, huge and small, but I doubt this rumor is correct. Sad to see it spreading like a bushfire.

I hope Sean makes a comment on this.

BigDug13

I could see console issues as the game seems like it's heavily CPU reliant. I just don't see how there could be that many PC issues with such a game.

legacyzero

Banned
Holy shit, this is just a normal thread filled with jump-to-conclusions posts about No Man's Sky. Consistency is key, I guess.

Uhyve

I hope you're being sarcastic, but in case not:

The number of cores a CPU possesses (and how many threads can be processed simultaneously at any given point) is a measurement of the degree of parallelization that can be achieved. An "x"-bit CPU, where x is a number such as 64, is a measurement of memory bandwidth available to the CPU. GDDR5 RAM is a type of memory with a high bandwidth available, which is beneficial for the PS4 since it serves the purpose of system RAM, as opposed to being merely available for the GPU, as it is on PCs.
While I'm pretty sure that the poster was being sarcastic, I expect that due to the way No Man's Sky generates the environments, it will probably benefit greatly from having 8 cores. I think it might have been in the IGN First videos, where they showed the debug output of the generation/LODing system, and I seem to remember it looking like there was some heavy multithreading going on there.

Regardless, this barely sounds like a rumor. More like a logical guess. Games go through a large amount of bug fixing and optimization in their last few months. That's just common sense.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I hate that image because it oversimplifies the reality of budgets and game development. It also ignores whether the game is actually good. Of course a delayed game can be good when you start over until it's eventually fun.

To my knowledge, the extent of Sony backing NMS has never been made public. Beyond speculating on message boards, there's no definitive answer.

It's also not what he said, he said that a delayed game is only delayed until it is out.

Nzyme32

Holy shit, this is just a normal thread filled with jump-to-conclusions posts about No Man's Sky. Consistency is key, I guess.

I thought people would be interested in some possible context towards the far out release date that might relate to this rumour, which I labeled as such. I guess people like their dramatics though

A bit worry, but I wish people would get off about their back and would have just let them announce a release date when they were ready to. They're probably dealing with enough stress right now.

Way to miss the point just so you could be the snarky, edgy guy on the forum. Yes, games get delayed, but you generally don't announce a release while vacationing in development hell.

No they never do that, not like Sony did just 2 years ago with Driveclub,... Not like Atlus delayed Persona after just reconfirming a 2015 release a couple days prior.

Announcing a datemonth doesn't mean anything is set in stone.

While I'm pretty sure that the poster was being sarcastic, I expect that due to the way No Man's Sky generates the environments, it will probably benefit greatly from having 8 cores. I think it might have been in the IGN First videos, where they showed the debug output of the generation/LODing system, and I seem to remember it looking like there was some heavy multithreading going on there.

Regardless, this barely sounds like a rumor. More like a logical guess. Games go through a large amount of bug fixing and optimization in their last few months. That's just common sense.

I hope so, but you never can tell anymore.

I didn't watch the IGN First video, but I'll take your word for it. This is a groundbreaking game, technically speaking.

I'm familiar with the process and regardless of how unsubstantiated the rumor is, we'll see eventually. I wish all the best for Sean and Hello Games.

It's also not what he said, he said that a delayed game is only delayed until it is out.

I never thought about it that way, always took it at face value. Thanks for the alternative perspective.

There are those that are taking seemingly normal developmental issues as something unnecessarily serious.

There are also those who are being a bit too defensive that a highly ambitious game by a small team may in fact me a little too ambitious.

And there are also those who are straight trolling for one purpose or another.

All of you know which group you belong to.

PSOreo

Deep down I knew we would hear something like this sooner or later. Heres hoping the delay will help to polish everything and we will see it as a triumph that just needed time.

She's generally pretty spot on from what I've seen, I'm pretty sure she revealed Rush Of Blood a week or so before its Paris Games Week announcement.

She's generally pretty spot on from what I've seen, I'm pretty sure she revealed Rush Of Blood a week or so before its Paris Games Week announcement.

Dismissing this rumor without even giving it the benefit of a doubt or considering the credibility of the source is... strange to say the least.

DrXym

The best way to ensure successful development is to have realistic goals, supportive managers, a process of some sort and a flexible release date.

The problem with game development is that it rarely has any of these things. I could see how an Indie could get in above its own height and struggle although it isn't clear if that has happened here. But the likes of No Man's Sky would have been better as an early access kind of game where they could get the basics right, raised some cash and then iteratively built out the rest of the game. It would have meant less pressure and it would have been done when it was done.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Maybe you should write some articles on how the differing methods of project management work? I'm sure articles on Agile would be devoured by enthisiasts keen to know more about their hobby.

Boring : write about how agile is supposed to work and make development more efficient and flexible

Interesting : write about how agile really works, with developers underestimating effort required and product managers using it as a smokescreen to avoid committing to longer term deadlines.

It's a bit of a popular methodology at the moment but it is still only a tool. Personally I think a spoonful of waterfall can help to season the mix and provide focus toward the end goal (mini rant over)

*sigh*

At least 2/4 of those sites are absolutely scummy, derivative clickbait cesspools with little understanding or appreciation for the medium (not to mention to English language, if we're going off their editorial record and fundamental writing/grammar on display at gamepur).

They'd most certainly be the type of vultures to pounce on any rumor with a title that's got as much public attention as NMS, even when it sounds like some mischievous blogger pulled it out of their ass to the extent where you'd question the intelligence of those who believe it.

Top Bottom