• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor of Capcom delay Resident Evil 4

Chittagong

Gold Member
Makes sense.

While RE4 can be among the big games in Nov/Dec, it can be THE big game in February.

Christmas market this year will be a suicide for almost any title, the biggest marketing bang given to a very few huge games - including Halflife 2 from Valve, Doom 3 from ID, Halo 2 from Microsoft, Metroid Prime 2 and Nintendo DS from Nintendo, GT4 from Sony, GTA SA from Rockstar, Pathway to Glory from Nokia, and usual bunch from EA.

I honestly don't believe Capcom has the pockets to shout over such noise - and they NEED Resident Evil 4 to do huge.

That said, RE4 looked and played brilliant in E3 and I hope it was out sooner.

jarrod

Banned
I doubt it, unless Capcom's pushing up either Killer 7 or Viewtiful Joe 2 in it's place. Otherwise they'll have all 3 on GameCube in the first quater of 2005 and nothing in the 4th quarter of 2004. :/

Slo

November is already packed with titles. I'm glad to see the herd thinning a bit, I'll buy RE4 whenever it comes out.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Well delaying it could lead to better sales with the big release blitz in Nov from all 3 platforms. Delaying it until say January could give it a month of big sales. However, if Capcom and Nintendo are betting big bucks on RE4, then they are going to go up against a huge crowd coming Nov.

Tenguman

Culex said:
Resident Evil 4 would sell FAR better pre-Christmas.
Not if it's going up against Metroid Prime 2. Remember, A lot of GC owners will buy a Nintendo game over almost any 3rd party games.

jarrod

Banned
Culex said:
Yep, even with heavy competition. RE4's among the best looking games on any platform, and with the proper advertising blitz could be huge. Even with no advertising push though, just based on media hype and franchise recognition it'd still sell better before Christmas... any possible delay is most assuredly not for strategic reasons.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Kuroyume said:
RE4 is THE big game in November.

HIGHLY doubt that...

As an opinion, that may hold true, but from a market standpoing...no chance.

Halo 2, MGS3, and Prime 2 will all be available in November...and all of them would outsell RE4. Not to say RE4 wouldn't do very well for itself, it just couldn't compete with those titles...

Culex

Banned
Tenguman said:
Not if it's going up against Metroid Prime 2. Remember, A lot of GC owners will buy a Nintendo game over almost any 3rd party games.

People do buy more than one game at a time, you know.

There's no question that it would sell better during Christmas time. Shit games sell better released during December, regardless of competition. RE 4 NEEDS to be released Nov/Dec.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Culex said:

There's no question that it would sell better during Christmas time. Shit games sell better released during December, regardless of competition. RE 4 NEEDS to be released Nov/Dec.

It COULD go the other way, you know...

Last Christmas saw a large number of good to great games nearly fail outright...

That is quite unlikely, of course, as it IS Resident Evil.

Alcibiades

Resident Evil 0 got shoved aside because of the big holiday in 2002, so the same can happen to Resident Evil 4...

It was up against Metroid Prime, Vice City, Splinter Cell, etc...

that said, Capcom didn't really spend much on the marketing of RE:0, hopefully it'll be different with RE4...

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
If it means it'll be a better game and sell better when released, then it's a wise decision to delay it. What's a few months?

NWO

Culex said:

Exactly.

If any game should get bumped out of November its Starfox. Sorry but it just doesn't belong there and will be eaten alive if that's when its released. Put Prime at the beginning of November and Resident Evil 4 at the end or vice versa. I don't get why GOOD GAMES ON OTHER SYSTEMS WOULD HURT Resident Evil 4 sales. That doesn't even make sense. They are just competing with Cube games and they really don't have much to compete with outside of Prime.

I thought it was always rumored to be slipping to 2005. Wouldn't suprise me. A hell of a lot of games I've been looking forward to are now 2005 releases (Jade Empire, Conker, Star Wars KOTOR 2, etc.).

jarrod

Banned
RE0 isn't a good comparison for anything, it was a late term N64 holdover still rooted in 32bit design, developed by a different studio, released 6 months after the previous RE and got little push from Capcom or Nintendo. RE4 is almost the opposite of that, it's the first game in the series that really attempts to evolve, it's being done by Mikami himself, it has stunning visuals, the media adores it and it looks like Capcom and Nintendo are planning a significant advertising blitz. I think it's a real contender for being one of the top 10 best selling games this year (despite the 'handicap' of being a GameCube game), which is a huge trun around for the franchise.

cvxfreak

I don't think Capcom can afford to delay RE4, especially in Japan where their holiday output for the last two years have partially relied on a BioHazard title (Zero and Outbreak). I think the results would be disastrous for Capcom.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
If true, it's most likely for developmental reasons, rather than marketing. RE4 is one of the heavy-hitters and would have no problem standing out in the glut of other holiday titles.

I do agree that some titles are going to have to give, though, or suffer the consequences. Starfox, as someone mentioned, would be a good start.

Alcibiades

"it looks like Capcom and Nintendo are planning a significant advertising blitz"

it doesn't look that way to me at all, considering the amount of support REmake and RE:0 got from Capcom, they'll put maybe double their efforts on this, which wouldn't be that much...

as for Nintendo's comments about "supporting" this title, they spout that off all time, and they've said that before about important titles...

Unless they specifically say something like "We plan to directly help market RE4 with financial resources" and not just a vague response to some interview question, I'm going to seriously doubt Nintendo is going to put all that much of their own efforts (which could include stuff like press release mentions and a Nintendo Power cover or something, but not much more than that)...

plus, if Star Fox is also going to be releases on the same day, they'll probably want to focus on that...

human5892

Queen of Denmark
efralope said:
"it looks like Capcom and Nintendo are planning a significant advertising blitz"

it doesn't look that way to me at all, considering the amount of support REmake and RE:0 got from Capcom, they'll put maybe double their efforts on this, which wouldn't be that much...
RE0 got jack, but I remember a fairly heavy television ad campaign for REmake. At its peak, on certain channels I would see the commercial several times a day.

Tenguman

Kabuki Waq said:
RE4 is definatelty Bigger than metroid prime.
I'd agree that RE4 is more important to the Gamecube than Metroid Prime, but you're kidding yourself if you think RE4 will overshadow Metroid Prime 2 when it comes to Nintendo fans and their money. Couple that with Starfox in November, then RE4 is screwed. Most Gamecube owners are Nintendo fans first, anything else is a distant second.

Culex said:
Yes, but when you combine Halo 2, MGS3, Metroid Prime 2, RE4......RE4 is going to get spanked. It would sell much better if it had its own month.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
GC needs big system sellers this fall ,except MP2 they dont really have much(Paper Mario 2 is an excelent title but i doubt its ability to move systems) to make people go "whoa".

Geist,Metroid Prime 2,Paper Mario 2,Star Fox,Donkey Konga,WWE Day of Reckoning,Baten Kaitos.
Thats it,i dont post list but without RE4 there are just 7 exclusives worth mentioning,which is weak to say at least.

Combined with a lack of Third party support.....

Tenguman

Fleming said:
Geist,Metroid Prime 2,Paper Mario 2,Star Fox,Donkey Konga,WWE Day of Reckoning,Baten Kaitos.
Thats it,i dont post list but without RE4 there are just 7 exclusives worth mentioning,which is weak to say at least.
Eh, you're missing a good few. But I'd say the amount of GC exclusives is pretty damn good considering almost all are coming out this year.

Chopin Trusty Balls

Tenguman said:
Eh, you're missing a good few. But I'd say the amount of GC exclusives is pretty damn good considering almost all are coming out this year.

Well,i was using EB.com,but as i said these seem to be only ones worth mentioning.You can include Pikmin 2 and Adventure Island in august too.

jarrod

Banned
Fleming said:
Well,i was using EB.com,but as i said these seem to be only ones worth mentioning.You can include Pikmin 2 and Adventure Island in august too.
Wait, who's publishing Adventure Island here? Are the other Hudson Selections coming also?

Che

Banned
Fleming said:
GC needs big system sellers this fall ,except MP2 they dont really have much(Paper Mario 2 is an excelent title but i doubt its ability to move systems) to make people go "whoa".

Combined with a lack of Third party support.....

You mean that the other two consoles have sooo many system sellers this fall that GC lacks? Mind mentioning them to me?

Chopin Trusty Balls

Che said:
You mean that the other two consoles have sooo many system sellers this fall that GC lacks? Mind mentioning them to me?

Are you joking?

I dont want to post lists,but just to name a few:GTA:SA,MGS3,GT4,Killzone,Halo 2,Fable,Doom 3,DOA:U.

jarrod

Banned
DOAU and Fable hardly qualify really. Doom 3 is a bigger game than people let on around here though, I think it'll surprise people sales wise.

edit-And Gamecube's doing pretty well in terms of multiplatform stuff really. Rogue Agent, EA Sports, MegaMan XCM, THUG2, LOTR Third Age, Virtua Quest, SRS, NFSU2, Digimon, Def Jam 2, Call of Duty, Second Sight, TMNT2, POP2, Spyro 5, Urban Simz, StarCraft Ghost, etc...it doesn't have everything but there's hardly a glaring lack of stuff either.

Chopin Trusty Balls

jarrod said:
DOAU and Fable hardly qualify really. Doom 3 is a bigger game than people let on around here though, I think it'll surprise people sales wise.

Huh? I could understand why DOAU,but Fable!?!?!

Seriously i have a complete E3 report here,with all titles shown and there were around 50(Xbox or PC/XB exclusives),90 PS2 exclusives and 20 GC exclusives.

I will post a thread about it later.

Alcibiades

Fleming said:
Are you joking?

I dont want to post lists,but just to name a few:GTA:SA,MGS3,GT4,Halo 2.

FIXED.

I'm being serious BTW, and even then calling GT4 and MGS3 system sellers seems a bit much... Not that they won't be Top 5 sellers, they might, but I don't know if they'll move a lot of systems like GTA or Halo...

Che

Banned
Fleming said:
Are you joking?

I dont want to post lists,but just to name a few:GTA:SA,MGS3,GT4,Killzone,Halo 2,Fable,Doom 3,DOA:U.

Well you're right for PS2. Xbox only has Halo2 and if it's not delayed again, Fable.

Che

Banned
efralope said:
FIXED.

I'm being serious BTW, and even then calling GT4 and MGS3 system sellers seems a bit much... Not that they won't be Top 5 sellers, they might, but I don't know if they'll move a lot of systems like GTA or Halo...

Hey where's the good old thumbs up?

jarrod

Banned
Fleming said:
Huh? I could understand why DOAU,but Fable!?!?!
Eh, Fable is in no way a sure thing, much less a system seller. If it breaks 500k I think that would be a surprise... though who knows. With Jade Empire and KOTOR2 delayed the KOTOR audience might be hungry for something...

I wouldn't call Fable any more of a system seller than Paper Mario 2 however...

Chopin Trusty Balls

jarrod said:
Eh, Fable is in no way a sure thing, much less a system seller. If it breaks 500k I think that would be a surprise... though who knows. With Jade Empire and KOTOR2 delayed the KOTOR audience might be hungry for something...

I wouldn't call Fable any more of a system seller than Paper Mario 2 however...

We shall see

NWO

Tenguman said:
Yes, but when you combine Halo 2, MGS3, Metroid Prime 2, RE4......RE4 is going to get spanked. It would sell much better if it had its own month.

Why would you combine it with other games on a different system?

November has always supported huge sellers on all 3 systems at the same time. They don't eat away at each other unless they are on the same system. And I doubt that Starfox is going to do anything to sales of RE4.

I don't get the logic from you people in saying that you should push Resident Evil back when its a bigger franchise than Starfox. Nobody was talking about Starfox after E3 compared to Prime and RE4.

Plus RE4 is more important to the Cube as its the only game that will bring in non-Nintendo people to buy the console. Without it no mainstream people are going to care.

RE4 + Prime looks a lot better to people who want to buy a new console this Christmas rather than Prime + Paper Mario or Prime + Starfox.

cvxfreak

I highly doubt we're in an age where single sell systems as much as they used to do here, but sorta still do in Japan. RE4 and Prime 2 Echoes, while they're more mature than the average game, will in the end both sell very well. I don't see how Metroid Prime 2 will spark interest in the system if the first one hardly did, and I don't expect Metroid Prime 2 to sell 1 Million off the bat (it might not even sell a million before the Revolution comes out). RE4 and Prime 2 Echoes will hopefully attract an overall greater amount of buyers than if they were each alone.

Top Bottom