• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PlayStation 4 gets graphically definitive version of Watch_Dogs

Status
Not open for further replies.
iCmoC0Bm.jpg

That brought back some memories! Wow!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
but lets say the game at 60fps on 1080p with all settings turned up is pretty much the apex of a game on a tv.

mid range pcs can hit that.

high end pcs can kill that.

the consoles still only come half way to that.
I don't think you'll get this game at 1080@60 with everything maxed on mid range PC. PS4 is basically mid range PC equivalent, if not mid-high, depends on if you count stuff like Titan as high or more than high.

thefit

By plugging a Dualshock 3 into my PC's USB port?

You act like it's so difficult. I also have an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows, if that suits my fancy. But I usually go with the Dualshock. Mouse/Keyboard for FPS and Strategy games, ya know.

PCs have always had gamepads, going back to the famous Gravis Gamepad of my youth.

iCmoC0Bm.jpg

Holy shit I had that it was good for what it was which was playing DOS games otherwise it was murder on the hands. Did any of you ever try using the stick that screwed into the middle? Total POS.

Heysoos

I don't think you'll get this game at 1080@60 with everything maxed on mid range PC. PS4 is basically mid range PC equivalent, if not mid-high, depends on if you count stuff like Titan as high or more than high.

He's not saying maxed. My 7950 can easily hit 1080p60fps on BF3 with a lot of settings either on high or max. I expect the same with BF4. I consider myself midrange.

TheD

The Detective
WASD isn't too difficult getting used to. Also if you change the control settings on your pc, it can be very, very intuitive.

Leaning with Q and E, reloading with R, jumping with Space, crouching with c or shift, using things with f, granades with G, etc. You don't have to move your hand away from WASD to do any of them. Also for games that have a lot of powers (mass effect for an example), you can just assign them to a number keys and they are a lot faster to activate that way.

But I gotta agree for games like Watch Dogs where driving will be important, WASD won't be as good as a analogue controller.

Driving in non sim games oddly works quite well with a keyboard, I was a fair amount faster in NFS HP with it over my 360 pad (to my great surprise).

DigitalDevilSummoner

zero cognitive reasoning abilities
but it's the variation in PC's that muddy the statement.

Exactly, PC overenthusiasts can get a bit elusive when it comes to building theoretical rigs and staying within budget but when those steammachines come and we have something concrete to compare consoles against, it will be evident that the reasonable mid range killer gaming pc is just a mythical creature.

Is the pc version locked at 30 fps?

does that depend on the PC. cause I think it does.

Eusis

Driving in non sim games oddly works quite well with a keyboard, I was a fair amount faster in NFS HP with it over my 360 pad (to my great surprise).
There's a lot of genres that can work surprisingly well as I recall like fighters, and even Demon's Souls/Dark Souls would fare better than a lot of other games and if nothing else mouse support WOULD be quite useful for using bows, though this would be a potential problem on PC...
Exactly, PC overenthusiasts can get a bit elusive when it comes to building theoretical rigs and staying within budget but when those steammachines come and we have something concrete to compare consoles against, it will be evident that the reasonable mid range killer gaming pc is just a mythical creature.
I wouldn't go that far, but you won't be making a PC that's the same cost as a console that's superior, and you'll have to accept that half the reason the cost can be justified is the versatility of PCs, I don't doubt most of us use our PCs far more than consoles even if we end up actually playing GAMES more often on consoles. It also helps that the growth in PC advancement kind of stagnated: my i5 2500k is pointless to replace, whereas 10 years ago a CPU over 2 years old would be starting to hold games back at least a little, at worst I just need to overclock the 2500k. But honestly I think the "it doesn't cost THAT much" argument should be more to defend that PCs aren't necessarily THAT insane of an investment for really good gaming quality, and not so much as a reason to disregard consoles which are still the best option if you just want to play mainstream games at a low hardware cost.

Miguel81

Did you notice the large dead zone on the 360 sticks(swerving too much). I had to use a DS3 to finish NFSHP.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

does that depend on the PC. cause I think it does.
It's probably not gonna take a monster rig to beat 1080p/30fps.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
He's not saying maxed. My 7950 can easily hit 1080p60fps on BF3 with a lot of settings either on high or max. I expect the same with BF4. I consider myself midrange.
He said "with all settings turned up" right in what I quoted. 79xx is AMD's equivalent of GTX680 series, right? What the hell, that's not midrange even if you consider Titan to be high range, and not something like ultra-high as its price dictates.

I also think this game as well as BF4 will be more demanding than BF3, being newer and better looking.

sangreal

PS4 should be better than XB1 but worse than PC. That said, Examiner is a hosting service for freelance blogs so this article holds no more weight than a random neogaf post

It's not irrational, it's just the truth.

Need I remind you that certain versions of multiplat games turn out to be more superior than the version that's on the "weakest console" & happened to be the lead platform? Like Tomb Raider. It was the lead platform on 360, yet it turned out to be superior on PS3.

It's been proven time & time again each console generation.

Just because a console is "weaker" doesn't guarantee that developers will make the "weaker" console the lead platform for their games.

That really doesn't relate to my original point.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Concrete stuff guys.
Now we're just dissembling with semantics. If you want the "definitive" Watch_Dogs experience then you first have to definite it, and then you have to be willing to buy the hardware that gives it to you. It's probably not gonna be on the PS4 unless you think the definitive experience is making some compromises on IQ to bask in the glory of the PS4 as you run the game.

But this whole side conversation could have been avoided by making the title "Playstation 4 gets graphically definitive console version of Watch_Dogs" I'm almost 100% sure it will be.

Krakn3Dfx

Going to wait til it's out for reviews, if the PS4 version really is 1080p with a good frame rate,I may pick it up over the pc just for Remote Play.

It's definitely nice if this is true though.

Heysoos

He said "with all settings turned up" right in what I quoted. 79xx is AMD's equivalent of GTX680 series, right? What the hell, that's not midrange even if you consider Titan to be high range, and not something like ultra-high as its price dictates.

I also think this game as well as BF4 will be more demanding than BF3, being newer and better looking.

Fair enough, I misunderstood his post.

And what? A 7950 was a $280 dollar card. The 7950 is closer equivalent of a 660. Maybe you meant 7970. I still fully expect to be able to hit 1080p60fps with a bunch of setting either at max or at high.

DoomGyver

On one hand I love this time of the generation, on the other I despise it. But damn if it isn't entertaining.
I cannot wait to read the DF comparison between sessions of my "superior" PS4 version.

Jabba

Banned
Uhh no. A 660ti is enough to run WD at a better quality than the ps4 plus if I'm not mistaken WD will get exclusive visual features from nvidia. You think 4k is needed to top consoles when 1080p isn't guaranteed at the moment? Not to shit on the consoles like you're shitting on PC users, but the PC version is gonna see higher assets on top of better performance.

Also 4 Titans probably won't make it LOOK better than 2 Titans. The game assets have a finite quality that devs choose to put on the disc/digital. 4 Titans may give more FPS than 2. At that point, would you really see the difference between say, a solid locked 80 fps as compared to 120 fps? I wouldn't think so. I could be wrong.

casmith07

Holy shit I had that it was good for what it was which was playing DOS games otherwise it was murder on the hands. Did any of you ever try using the stick that screwed into the middle? Total POS.

I had a Gravis GamePad Pro with shoulder buttons and a stick. The stick was hot garbage, lol.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Fair enough, I misunderstood his post.

And what? A 7950 was a $280 dollar card. The 7950 is closer equivalent of a 660. Maybe you meant 7970. I still fully expect to be able to hit 1080p60fps with a bunch of setting either at max or at high.
I guess I meant 7970. Still, 79xx is AMD's high end series, it's just more competitively priced than nvidia. GTX660(non-Ti) is 1.8TF card according to Wikipedia, so that's basically an equivalent of PS4. 7950 is supposed to be better than that.

Metfanant

If the only difference is 720p vs 1080p it's not going to make a difference to most ppl.
There was a noticeable resolution difference between a lot of 360/PS3 games this gen...and the gap was MUCH smaller than 1080p vs 720p...if the performance gap really is that big across the board then it's bad...

Cels

more powerful console has visually superior version of a multiplatform game? why does this thread have over 500 replies again?

It is not "elitism" to point out that the statement ignores that their is a PC version which is likely capable of looking better and thus is inaccurate!
But that is always (99%) the case. It would be like me going out of my way to say that water is wet in every thread. The implication is obvious; this is a console thread. The hyper expensive enthusiast gaming rig is going to outperform consoles. Why belabor the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom