• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Prey 2 cancelled, official statement due next week [Up: ZeniMax: No comment.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

Perhaps older Valve, but these days they're pretty heavily into games as a service, which is kind of hard to do with a singleplayer only FPS.

This made me feel bad because I know it's true but I still don't want to believe it.

Because it inevitably means Half Life 3 is going to have some stupid co op shit added to it. I love Valve but they have so much money why can't they just put out a singleplayer game every once in a while. Not EVERYTHING has to be always-online service driven shit.

Lingitiz

This made me feel bad because I know it's true but I still don't want to believe it.

Because it inevitably means Half Life 3 is going to have some stupid co op shit added to it. I love Valve but they have so much money why can't they just put out a singleplayer game every once in a while. Not EVERYTHING has to be always-online service driven shit.

So much anger. Portal 2 turned out great and hasn't really followed the whole games as a service mentality completely.

sflufan

Banned

Uhhhh, did you happen to miss Portal 2?

Angry Fork

So much anger. Portal 2 turned out fine. Heard it was GOTY at some forum.

Uhhhh, did you happen to miss Portal 2?

Gabe said Portal 2 will be the last kind of game they do like that so I'm referring to future projects.

I personally was a bit disappointed with Portal 2 though, it was good but not GOTY or anything for me. I've explained why before but won't do it here since this isn't the topic for it.

sflufan

Banned
Gabe said Portal 2 will be the last kind of game they do like that so I'm referring to future projects.

Just as an FYI, that quote was widely misinterpreted.

What Newell meant was that their games would have both single player and multiplayer components.

If true, then NOOOOO!!!

Seriously, I was really looking forward to it. A non-linear, open-world shooter where you're a Bounty Hunter in a universe that looks similar to Blade Runner is like, one of the coolest things ever.

Angry Fork

Just as an FYI, that quote was widely misinterpreted.

What Newell meant was that their games would have both single player and multiplayer components.

Yea but he seemed vague. He also mentioned something about being online and allowing your friends to join you on the spot etc. implying some kind of interwoven single player/co-op experience, something I'm deathly afraid of and don't want at all.

I just want HL3 to be like HL2 in terms of clicking on new game and you can play the entire game by yourself without any intrusions in the top right telling you your friend just passed a certain level in the game or something or invites you to join his HL "campaign" bs.

I'm still miffed about HL "needing" multiplayer though if that's the case. Just make Counter Strike 2 and package it with HL3. No need to Resident Evil 5 the Half Life franchise. edit - I'll stop talking about this now since it's really off topic lol. I wish Valve would pick up Prey 2 (if it's cancelled) but I know it wont happen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh what? I though the footage we got looked quite good, and I was very sceptical at first. A run-and-gun Mirror's Edge style open world shooter in a sci fi universe would have been dope. Damn.

Paging Square Enix.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Deus Ex:Human Revolution for starters
Not really. They're both cyberpunk, and...that's about it?
Let me see.

prey-2-20110818105328712_640w.jpg

rage-20110802045921482_640w.jpg
mass-effect-3-20111027000149343_640w.jpg

etc.
You're right, the art direction is similar, though Prey 2 had a cooler Blade Runner/Coruscant thing going on. The gameplay is not. And besides, it's not as though the market is flooded with games that look like that right now.

Ridley327

id tech 4 too? I thought they just didn't want to license the newer one id Tech 5.

It's any idTech that hasn't been released to the public. The sad irony of this news possibly being true was that Carmack was waiting to release idTech 4 until after Prey 2 shipped.

Ugh, I just really hope this isn't true. This game really stood out to me as something special, both via visuals and gameplay. I rarely see something and right away think "I'll pay $60 for that." but this was one of those rare games. Please let it live.

Jeff-DSA

Man, that really suck if true. I really thought that the demo at E3 last year was something of a highlight at the show.

After the disappointing single player campaign from Syndicate I was really looking forward to what Prey 2 would bring to the table,guess that just flew straight out of the fucking window.:(

Nizz

I saw somebody mention that Dishonored should have been cancelled. I didn't remember the title off the top of my head so I went to youtube. Then I remembered it was that game that has that strong Half Life 2 vibe.

I say hell no to that being cancelled! That game looks to be doing something special. And dammit I'm still pissed that Prey 2 is most likely cancelled. I don't even want to watch the E3 gameplay vid. What for? :/

DGRE

Banned
Was just thinking about this game earlier today and just ran across this thread. As someone said earlier, if true, I'd be more than happy to kickstart this game. I know this would be serious dollars, but maybe a publisher would just need to see some initial goodwill toward the game in order to pick it back up.

Bummer.

SparkTR

Was just thinking about this game earlier today and just ran across this thread. As someone said earlier, if true, I'd be more than happy to kickstart this game. I know this would be serious dollars, but maybe a publisher would just need to see some initial goodwill toward the game in order to pick it back up.

Bummer.

That would be a nice experiment, we can see if the crowdsourcing model can support bigger budget games.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Terrible news if true, it's easily among most anticipated games of the year for me.

WTF this shit looked really promising at E3. Sounded like it actually had an interesting world in the works...

FUCK. THIS. GEN.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anyone else think Zenimax is pulling a Disney

The way they did Mars Need Mom, then John Carter (w/o Mars in the title) to wain away from the "Mars" thing, just to distance themselves

Now the higher ups @ Zenimax are watching the EA/Bioware Mass Effect 3 fiasco and going "Hey doesn't our game have Guns, Aliens and is in Space.... ZOMG! CANCEL, ABORT, I said ABORT!!!"

1 thing though RAGE frame rate 90% of the time was fucking crisp on my PS3, it was 60FPS or 30+ right, or were my eyes deceiving me
A few screen tears here and there, but if they had this shit right Prey 2 would've been drop dead gorgeous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom