• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Prince Of Persia trilogy remake

What was your favourite from the PoP trilogy?

• Total voters

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
but she will only do it a few times before you die for real
Really? I did not notice it. But PoP 2008 was pretty simple anyway, the crazy constructions from Warrior Within were gone and it was very tame in its design.

My favourite is Forgotten Sands (Wii), which is among the best uses of the Wiimote overall and an amazing action-adventure. The first 30 minutes or so are a bit like Uncharted (so shit) but after that it gets amazing.

I'd love for PoP to come back, but as new games, not yet another remake/remaster/port/whatever.

Blond

Banned
Two Thrones, brought out the gameplay of the second and got rid of the EDDDGGGEEEEE while adding some great stealth mechanics (which in hindsight, was ALL about backdoor piloting assassin's Creed mechanics)

Eimran

Warrior Within was withouth doubt my favorite. Awesome storyline, the darker atmosphere, a more ruthless prince, the screen going grey white the godsmack music starts as the Dahaka chases you.

Awesome memories.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Dangit, not the open-world one with Nathan Drake? :messenger_face_steam:

I liked Sands of Time and Two Thrones. Didn't get around to playing Warrior Within.

munancho

Banned
The first game was such an exercise in charm and fun. Absolutely stunning as everything was perfect from the characters, soundtrack, gameplay, presentation - the lot.

Only for the "You bitch!" Prince of Emo to step into the sequel and mess it up. Didn't play the third one properly but man that first title was something else.

hyperbertha

The first game was such an exercise in charm and fun. Absolutely stunning as everything was perfect from the characters, soundtrack, gameplay, presentation - the lot.

Only for the "You bitch!" Prince of Emo to step into the sequel and mess it up. Didn't play the third one properly but man that first title was something else.
Warrior within destroyed sands of time. Emo? wtf are you talking about? Couldn't handle his manliness?

munancho

Banned
Warrior within destroyed sands of time. Emo? wtf are you talking about? Couldn't handle his manliness?

Quite a simple statement really. A personal statement, ie of my experience and interpretation. Not a dictum or decree for all to follow.

Hopefully you can interpret this message easier than the previous one that appeared to have caused your manly panties to ascend and bunch themselves in a rather unbecoming way which is what I assume fueled your little outburst. There there. Everything will be OK.

Diddy X

Warrior Within was great, I remember getting the water sword at the end and getting the alternative ending, then a cinematic showed a burning city and I would try to figure out how to get there.

-Troid-

Banned
I actually kind of like 2008 the best. It's just a cool game to chill out and jump around in and looks fantastic. Objectively Sands is the best though. Playing Sands and Warrior Within when I was younger was one of the first instances of having to "get gud" because having to use the sand dagger to weaken/finish enemies was hard for my younger mind to wrap itself around for some reason. Also Warrior is just a tough game in general.

I never Finished Two Thrones. I don't think the stealth and chariot races really worked as well as the other aspects of the game. Though ironically the stealth in it is a bit ahead of it's time as it's pretty similar to the Arkham games.

Forgotten Sands I played way after release, and I haven't finished it either. I got the Wii version which I heard was actually the best in terms of gameplay, and it seems like a good game from what I played, but it also seems like they were trying too hard to backpedal after the 2008 game and the game feels too derivative.

Idk If I'd get a remake/remaster. If given the choice I kind of prefer playing 3D platforming games on the ye 'ole Gamecube controller, and since I have all the GC versions hacked on to my WiiU, I can do that already.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
Well, no, it wasn't. If it wasn't the worst it was easily in the bottom 3 of the franchise.
But to each one his own.
Well yes, it's all subjective....but it got some very good reviews, so it's not like it was panned in reviews....I think lots of people liked it...There will always be people who hate it, sometimes that band may be more vocal, hence why some posters thought everybody hated it....

T
Well we already have the HD collection so hopefully a straight up remake.

The reboot was fun, even The Forgotten Sands was enjoyable.

This

And the funniest thing is, the wii Forgotten sands version ended up being a totally different version from the ps360 one, and the most beautiful version available, many didn't even know that
A little, hidden, beautiful gem

I fondly remember there were no infos, previews or reviews at all for the wii game, and I blindly bought it thinking it was a downgraded version of the ps360 one
Imagine my surprise when I discovered a Sands of time 2.0, I was Just " wow"

Original sands of time was the best ever tho, even if I admit I liked the prince's warrior transformation in the other two games

Last edited:

munancho

Banned
Wow, the Forgotten Sands title looks and sounds like a true sequel to SOT from the aesthetic, soundtrack, voices and gameplay style.

Thanks for pointing that out as I'd never checked it before. The main issue I had with WW was how jarring the whole transition was as it went straight into OW THE EDGE territory for seeming no reason other than mainstream appeal and with it kerbed all that made POP pop in the first place plus the gameplay was quite different. This Wii one seems a lot more authentic.

Wow, the Forgotten Sands title looks and sounds like a true sequel to SOT from the aesthetic, soundtrack, voices and gameplay style.

Thanks for pointing that out as I'd never checked it before. The main issue I had with WW was how jarring the whole transition was as it went straight into OW THE EDGE territory for seeming no reason other than mainstream appeal and with it kerbed all that made POP pop in the first place plus the gameplay was quite different. This Wii one seems a lot more authentic.

This is the wii version, and this is what I was talking about, is completely different from the HD one
I can guarantee it 100% feels, sounds and plays like a true SoT sequel, its magic is all there, much more than WW And rival swords

Get it If you can, is amazing

Banned
I actually liked the 2008 reboot.

*Runs*

th

Ikutachi

Sure, but if Ubisoft can't give us a true new PoP or Splinter Cell game, then I take full on remakes of the old classics anyday. I am hungry ma dude. xD
Have the means to play the originals? Are there ports of them? It's not like they aged terribly.

Javthusiast

Banned
Have the means to play the originals? Are there ports of them? It's not like they aged terribly.

PoP HD trilogy on ps3 has sound problems. Splinter Cell games not on ps4 as well as pop trilogy. Remakes on ps4/5 would be great, but I would also take ports to the ps4 at this point.

Last edited:

munancho

Banned
Stuff like this is one area where PCs are superior to consoles as they don't have excellent titles stranded on outdated platforms as "backwards compatibility" is the name of the game. Even if we do get the promised BC they're trumpeting about now you can bet your ass we won't see things like Outrun 2/C2C making an appearance due to licensing issues which is crap because if we own the disc then whats the beef? Just give us a BC wrapper which does its thing whilst loading from disc instead of forcing us to go digital and the distriubution issue that comes with it.

Stuff like that is the prime reason consoles that get modded/CFW appeal so much to me as I don't believe in current gen piracy but at least let me play the old games I own on new hardware if it can. The PS3 when modded could quite adequately handle a lot of PS2, PS1 and even PSP games and the Wii U bought GC via (slightly crappy) HDMI which was great.

Funnily enough with the way PS3, Wii U and potentially Xbox emulation is coming along in a year or so you'll be able to play upressed versions of everything all on one device.

Rheon

An actual HD FFVIIR style remake of Sands of Time would be amazing.

The other two don't interest me as much, but they would be nice too.

cormack12

Gold Member
Ubisoft has updated the official Prince of Persia Domain again it now redirects to the 2008 Prince of Persia Page instead of Ubisoft’s Homepage.

Screenshot-2020-04-23-at-7.37.38-PM.png

Screenshot-2020-04-23-at-7.37.26-PM.png

Yet another screenshot of a new Prince of Persia game has been leaked on Reddit this looks way better than the previous screenshots.

ir53d20sn8s41.jpg

Prince of Persia Sands of Time Remake was previously rumoured to be in development, but now an image has been leaked online, It will most likely get revealed at the Ubisoft Digital Event.

Shortly afterwards the Reddit Account was deleted along with the post so, this seems suspicious.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Maybe I should try it again?
If you're willing to do that, go for the GOG versions without DRM cuz it's the best way to play this game right now.

They really tried to make something different and unique with this game at that time and way before moden games with two main characters like Enslaved for example. The game is not perfect of course but I wish they would've give this new vision a second chance with modern tech and other GFX (lighting, shadows etc. etc. etc.) and gameplay improvements. Also, the art style and overall visual design of this game still holds up perfectly.

Last edited:

bronk

Banned
If you're willing to do that, go for the GOG versions without DRM cuz it's the best way to play this game right now.

They really tried to make something different and unique with this game at that time and way before moden games with two main characters like Enslaved for example. The game is not perfect of course but I wish they would've give this new vision a second chance with modern tech and other GFX (lighting, shadows etc. etc. etc.) and gameplay improvements. Also, the art style and overall visual design of this game still holds up perfectly.
I loved Enslaved. I still have my 360 hooked up and it's $5 on Ebay.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Sands of Time is a more fleshed out game
Warrior Within and Two Thrones got too much action packed. I understand the change with the second game, but to continue the change that nobody really liked wasn't that good

FranXico

Warrior Within and Two Thrones got too much action packed. I understand the change with the second game, but to continue the change that nobody really liked wasn't that good
They did manage to tone down the edginess of Warrior Within in Two Thrones (it focused a lot more on platforming than WW).

-Arcadia-

Banned
From what I understand, just stop at the first game.

I never played them due to the exceedingly poor reception, but Warrior Within was basically The Last Jedi before The Last Jedi was, in terms of ruining a promising new thing that everyone loved, and was excited for. Continuing with the new trilogy analogy, the third game tries it’s best to piece together wildly dissonant tones and make it all work, but...

Unless I’m really missing something with these two, I’d be happy to go on pretending like they don’t exist.

bronk

Banned

I never played them due to the exceedingly poor reception, but Warrior Within was basically The Last Jedi before The Last Jedi was, in terms of ruining a promising new thing that everyone loved, and was excited for. Continuing with the new trilogy analogy, the third game tries it’s best to piece together wildly dissonant tones and make it all work, but...

Unless I’m really missing something with these two, I’d be happy to go on pretending like they don’t exist.
I had fun with next two games I think but for some reason I dont remember them too well. My memories blend together with them. So at least to me they are somewhat forgettable? Idk

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Sands of Time is a more fleshed out game
Actually, it was not. In Warrior Within Ubi made a lot of things better and especially combat, which in original game was very repetitive and boring, but in Warrior Within you can do much more with it while also using environment to you advantage in various ways. I love the first game very much cuz of its amazing atmosphere, art, level design and how smooth it felt to play, explore, solve puzzles etc. Warrior Within is more brutal and action oriented and to me it feels like a natural evolution rather than downgrade in comparison to the first game. The third game also tried to do different things but ultimately it wasn't as good as Warrior Within and didn't felt like evolution and huge step forward for the series.

the change that nobody really liked
Speak for yourself please.

You absolutely must not stop. Warrior Within is a must, Two Thrones less so but it's aslo a good game, just not as good as previous two, at the very least give it a try.

Last edited:

T-Cake

In Warrior Within Ubi made a lot of things better and especially combat, which in original game was very repetitive and boring, but in Warrior Within you can do much more with it while also using environment to you advantage in various ways.

And that's exactly what I hate about it. Two screens worth of combo lists, it was trying to be like God of War on PS2.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
And that's exactly what I hate about it. Two screens worth of combo lists, it was trying to be like God of War on PS2.
I'd say Two Thrones more so was trying to be God of War in a lot of ways. not Warrior Within. Warrior Within is nothing like God of War at all and I've played games from both of these series from start to finish, so I'm not saying this by just looking at videos on Youtube. They did what idealy they should've done with combat system in Warrior Within, cuz original one and as I've said, was repetitive and boring, moreover, new combat system fits the game, it's mood, tone, atmosphere and everything that's going on very nicely and they did a good job to make Warrior Within drastically different and more brutal.

Last edited:

SALMORE

I hope they revamped the combat system in the sand of time because it was the only thing that kept from being a 10/10 game for me

Last edited:
Top Bottom