• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS5 Pro Codenamed "Trinity" targeting Late 2024 (some alleged specs leaked)

Would you upgrade from your current PS5?

• For sure

Votes: 377 41.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 131 14.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 127 13.8%
  • Unlikely

Votes: 140 15.2%
  • Not a chance

Votes: 145 15.8%

• Total voters

Bernoulli

M2 slut
RDNA introduced the "workgroup processor" ("WGP"). The WGP replaces the compute unit as the basic unit of shader computation hardware/computing. One WGP encompasses 2 CUs. This allows significantly more compute power and memory bandwidth to be directed at a single workgroup. In RDNA, 1 CU is one half of a WGP.

so the PS5 pro has 60 CU big jump from the PS5 36

Last edited:

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Legendary thread.
We getting 8k 30 fps games!

Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by NBA
With FSR 3.0+, who knows?

Bernardougf

Gold Member
T
Disappointing if true. No need for a Pro this gen. How about a slim instead?

Also wondering if lack of a Pro enhanced CoD will make a difference in sales.
All things point to a slim this year and a pro next year .. there a things for any taste

StereoVsn

There is a segment of gamers who just like talking about upgraded existing specs. And there are websites /youtubers with podcasts who like to capitalize on this need to theorize about upgrading existing tech.

There is no PS5 pro.

Macro and Micro, global, economic factors make a PS5 Pro a non starter. But obviously, people will discuss this fake news as if it's real, because...
Eh, considering performance of truly current gen that have been coming out, I don't see why Sony couldn't release a Pro version in over a year from now.

There would be enough of takers for it, probably same 20% of user base as PS4 Pro.

Plus it will stir up conversations and most devs will have higher performance versions directed at PC users anyways. Not much downside really.

Dr.D00p

has 60 CU big jump from the PS5 36

There would probably be a drop in clock speeds though, so it's likely that won't be a linear uplift in performance.

The higher PS5 clocks are what keeps it basically at parity with the Series X and its more powerful GPU in terms of pixel pushing power.

Lower clocks means cheaper cooling solution as well

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"The world's first nuclear explosion occurred on July 16, 1945, when a plutonium implosion device was tested at a site located 210 miles south of Los Alamos, New Mexico, on the plains of the Alamogordo Bombing Range, known as the Jornada del Muerto. The code name for the test was "Trinity.""

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
Let’s gooooooo

I’m ready. Second half of the generation will be insane! Give me the top PlayStation spec all day.

Haters in the mud, I see you, I know why you don’t want this to happen, but Cerny don’t care about you he cares about US

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
There would probably be a drop in clock speeds though, so it's likely that won't be a linear uplift in performance.

The higher PS5 clocks are what keeps it basically at parity with the Series X and its more powerful GPU in terms of pixel pushing power.

No, i expect an increase
when you see RDNA 3 cards they are even clocked higher at 2,8Ghz and have 84 CU

Last edited:

Sanepar

We don't need native 4K. Waste. Of. Resources. 1440p/1800p reconstruction is plenty fine.

Especially when every PC gamer uses DLSS/FSR/XeSS, so why are we always falling back on the "native train" when it comes to consoles?
We already have that right?

Bernoulli

M2 slut

The Series X GPU is outdated in terms of frequency
Every RDNA 2 and RDNA 3 run at ps5 clock speeds and even higher at 2,8
That could explain the issues the series x is having , big GPU but slow frequency

StereoVsn

I mean you don't know any of this though?

The whole point of the Pro would be to produce stable 60 fps at 4k or 1440p (upscaled to 4K) with some RTX on a side.

If they can't do that, there is no point of Pro in the first place.

XesqueVara

The Series X GPU is outdated in terms of frequency
Every RDNA 2 and RDNA 3 run at ps5 clock speeds and even higher at 2,8
That could explain the issues the series x is having , big GPU but slow frequency
Bro even PS5 is slow for RDNA 2 Standards we are talking about a Architecture with run at 2.5ghz with ease.

Top Bottom