• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Red Dead Redemption 2 to be revealed as an Epic Games Store Exclusive

KonradLaw

The moment where mask breaks... Aren't Steam features supposed to be prime reason why no one wants to use EGS ? Rockstar Launcher has even less features than EGS, it only provides DRM and nothing else.
Eh...I don't think you realize how Rockstar Launcher works.
It's the same as with Ubisoft games. No matter if you buy then on Epic or Steam you will still have to effectively use two launchers. When you launch the game on Steam/Epic it will launch Uplay client and only then will allow you to play. With Steam you can at least make some arguments for added functionality of the client that makes this double launching make sense as opposed to buying directly through Uplay. Epic doesn't have, You would have to be an idiot to buy Ubisoft game through EGS instead of through Uplay.

Same thing as Rockstar Launcher. If RDR2 releases on it and on Epic then getting in on Rockstar will mean using just it. Getting it on Epic will mean having to use both Epic and Rockstar at the same time, as Epic lacks any added functionality to make it worthwhile.

KonradLaw

So people are ok with Half-Life being Exclusive to Valve, but if other games are exclusive to the Epic store, Epic sucks?
I haven't seen anyone complain about Fortnite being EGS exclusive.
People don't mind HL or Fortnite exclusivity because those games were created by the same companies that own those services. They serve the same role as exclusives on consoles. So people treat them as added benefit, as without exclusivity they might not be made at all (HL would, but something like DOta 2 or TF2 likelly wouldn't).
When Epic buys exclusives it's different, because it buys shortly before the release. So you're not getting games you otherwise wouldn't. Instead Epic spending is taking the option to play on Steam away from you. So there's no benefit of exclusivity for you as a gamer, only downside.

Hopefully as times goes by Epic will just fund games from the ground up, but for now it's not surprising to see why some people are angry.
It's not like it's a new concept. Nobody sane complains about Halo or Gears of War not being on PS4, but a lot of people complained when Microsoft moneyhatted Square-Enix to keep Rise of Tomb Raider from appearing on PS4 for a long while.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Rockstar is a sub of Take Two, I'd be surprised if PC RDR2 wasn't exclusive to EGS/Rockstar Social Club for a year

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone complain about Fortnite being EGS exclusive.
People don't mind HL or Fortnite exclusivity because those games were created by the same companies that own those services. They serve the same role as exclusives on consoles. So people treat them as added benefit, as without exclusivity they might not be made at all (HL would, but something like DOta 2 or TF2 likelly wouldn't).
When Epic buys exclusives it's different, because it buys shortly before the release. So you're not getting games you otherwise wouldn't. Instead Epic spending is taking the option to play on Steam away from you. So there's no benefit of exclusivity for you as a gamer, only downside.

Hopefully as times goes by Epic will just fund games from the ground up, but for now it's not surprising to see why some people are angry.
It's not like it's a new concept. Nobody sane complains about Halo or Gears of War not being on PS4, but a lot of people complained when Microsoft moneyhatted Square-Enix to keep Rise of Tomb Raider from appearing on PS4 for a long while.
I see your point but I guess I’m beyond playing favs at this point. I’m all about who can get me the best price but I’m not going to play favorites with who takes my money better.

Better stop buying games that use the Unreal Engine then :rolleyes:

I'm just referring to their storefront. I thought that much was obvious, lol.

NewGiantGreendarnerdragonfly-max-1mb.gif

KonradLaw

Rockstar is a sub of Take Two, I'd be surprised if PC RDR2 wasn't exclusive to EGS/Rockstar Social Club for a year
Well..BL3 was big enough for them to be willing to only do 6 months exclusivity, so I could see them doing the same for RDR2

KonradLaw

Better stop buying games that use the Unreal Engine then :rolleyes:
I wonder if Epic won't get in trouble for that if Epic Games Store grows. I mean, the waving off UE fee on EGS. Seems like EU anti-trust waiting to happen if EGS ever gets big enough to attract such attation.

zcaa0g

Banned
I see your point but I guess I’m beyond playing favs at this point. I’m all about who can get me the best price but I’m not going to play favorites with who takes my money better.

Epic isn't going to get you the best price (except for their free game bribes), nor the best store front.

Epic isn't going to get you the best price (except for their free game bribes), nor the best store front.
It doesn’t have to be if it has the games I like. But we’ve not really seen too many sales yet. I bet they will have good deals in the fall and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the deals are better than steam now that the publishers and devs get a bigger cut.

sol_bad

Secondly we don't know if Rockstar even gets anything for picking only Epic store rather than steam.
They are big enough to completely not care about steam market because it is people who come to see them not the other way round.

Please, Rockstar loves money. If all they were doing was selling their game to customers, they'd release their game on Steam, Epic and R+Social Club, get the maximum possible revenue from all places. Just like they sell their games at all retail stores.
It's obvious that there is monetary gain by going Epic exlusive, it's the only reason they'd do it.

Or else, please explain how not selling on the platform with the highest amount of users makes sense?

Anyway, I personally don't care if RDR2 is Epic exclusive, if it never releases on Steam I never buy it. They don't need my monies anyway.

Vawn

Banned
Epic lets developers keep more of the profits. Why would anyone blame them for doing so?

If you want the games on Steam, appeal to VALVE to do something. Quit calling the developers greedy, while ignoring the fact Valve is still demanding absurd revenue splits while completely ignoring what the competition is offering.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Nah, Rockstar is the last dev out there desperated for "seccuring sales", heck, they can have their own launcher for GTAO and RDR2 and still succeed

Dacon

Banned
Other than having *your gaming collection* in a unified location, why not? Both Steam and Epic are in it for the money. Would love to see the out rage.

I don't understand this mindset of being entertained by people's unhappiness.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Epic has a considerably smaller user base.

What's better?
Considerably larger user base + slightly less profit.
Considerably smaller user base + slightly larger profit.

...it’s a free store front, not a locked in hardware system. Content like RDR2 will get people to download it. Just like Diablo gets people to download battle.net

sol_bad

...it’s a free store front, not a locked in hardware system. Content like RDR2 will get people to download it. Just like Diablo gets people to download battle.net

People are happy to buy the publishers games on their own store front.
No one has an issue with buying EA games on Origin.
No one has an issue buying Ubisoft games on Uplay.
No one has an issue buying Rockstar games om R*Social.
No one has an issue buying Activision/Blizzard games on Battlenet.
No one has an issue playing Fortnite on EGS.

But you didn't answer my question. What incentive does a publisher/developer have to release a game on a store with a much smaller user base?

Dontero

Banned
Epic has a considerably smaller user base.

What's better?
Considerably larger user base + slightly less profit.
Considerably smaller user base + slightly larger profit.

You assume people give a shit about steam when they buy rockstar games.
Rockstar is to big for steam market to matter much.

Meaning that if people want to buy their game they will buy it regardless if there will be steam version or not.
I already said too that there are already publishers that completely ignore Steam like EA who are perfectly fine with their own store.

Rockstar store is kind of different because it is not really a store and more of a key receiver for physical coppies.

But you didn't answer my question. What incentive does a publisher/developer have to release a game on a store with a much smaller user base?

Maybe their rock-star store is pretty bad financially to run and they want to ignore most of the cost of running it with their new game thus they go to actual store and yet it has nice cut.

THE MAIN reason origin, uplay and other exist was because Steam took too big of a cut. Rockstar store poped up mainly for key receiveing when people buy their games physically.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Quit calling the developers greedy, while ignoring the fact Valve is still demanding absurd revenue splits while completely ignoring what the competition is offering.

At this juncture the revenue split on Steam for AAA titles is better than that of retail. RDR2 would only have to clear 1 million units (easily done) and they're paying a 5th versus a 3rd.

Katsura

Rockstar is shit nowadays anyway and RRD2 is just as dull as all the other open world, check list games except with clunky controls. They haven't released a great game since San Andreas. If they want to grab some of that Epic money, i don't care. I'm sure it's a scoop for Epic but perhaps they should spend some of that cash on improving their ecosystem instead of focusing solely on developers

Dontero

Banned
At this juncture the revenue split on Steam for AAA titles is better than that of retail. RDR2 would only have to clear 1 million units (easily done) and they're paying a 5th versus a 3rd.

Retail for PC games in most of western world doesn't exist. You argument would be valid 10 years ago or in country like Germany or Poland.

MMaRsu

Banned
Other than having *your gaming collection* in a unified location, why not? Both Steam and Epic are in it for the money. Would love to see the out rage.

Because the EGS is a piece of crap that doesnt offer preloading or cloudsaves? or friends..reviews..forums.. anything really

sol_bad

Maybe their rock-star store is pretty bad financially to run and they want to ignore most of the cost of running it with their new game thus they go to actual store and yet it has nice cut.

THE MAIN reason origin, uplay and other exist was because Steam took too big of a cut. Rockstar store poped up mainly for key receiveing when people buy their games physically.

It would make sense to sell it on R*Social, or on a 2K centric store where they get 100% of the profit, It still makes no sense to sell it on Epic store and not on Steam "just because".
Rockstar are big but user reviews of RDR2 aren't 100% glowing.

Just using simple maths makes no sense.

Steam has 90 million active numbers.

Epic has 85 million registered users but 40% of them don't use Steam at all.

Now this is just hypothesizing but I think it is fairly safe to assume that 40% only play Fortnite or they only have an account for the free games. I'm sorry, but if you don't have or use Steam there is a very high chance you don't play or buy games on PC because that has literally been the default place to get and play PC games from over the last 10 years or so. The other 60% of the users or more likely to have bought games on Steam. This knocks their potential sales base down to about 51 million users.

Let's say that all 90 million Steam users and all 51 million Epic users purchased RDR2.
Steam - $60usd x 90,000,000 = $5,400,000,000usd - 20% = $4,320,000,000usd
Epic - $60usd x 51,000,000 = $3,060,000,000usd - 12% = $2,692,800,000usd

It's all hypothetical because we have no idea what sort of numbers really sell. But looking at the above, unless Epic were willing to shell out some serious compensation, I wouldn't be going exclusive.

Dontero

Banned
It would make sense to sell it on R*Social, or on a 2K centric store where they get 100% of the profit, It still makes no sense to sell it on Epic store and not on Steam "just because".
Rockstar are big but user reviews of RDR2 aren't 100% glowing.

Just using simple maths makes no sense.

Steam has 90 million active numbers.

Epic has 85 million registered users but 40% of them don't use Steam at all.

Now this is just hypothesizing but I think it is fairly safe to assume that 40% only play Fortnite or they only have an account for the free games. I'm sorry, but if you don't have or use Steam there is a very high chance you don't play or buy games on PC because that has literally been the default place to get and play PC games from over the last 10 years or so. The other 60% of the users or more likely to have bought games on Steam. This knocks their potential sales base down to about 51 million users.

Let's say that all 90 million Steam users and all 51 million Epic users purchased RDR2.
Steam - $60usd x 90,000,000 = $5,400,000,000usd - 20% = $4,320,000,000usd
Epic - $60usd x 51,000,000 = $3,060,000,000usd - 12% = $2,692,800,000usd

It's all hypothetical because we have no idea what sort of numbers really sell. But looking at the above, unless Epic were willing to shell out some serious compensation, I wouldn't be going exclusive.

You made one big wrong assumption. That people buy games because they happen to be user of some shop. Not because they want to buy certain game.

Get this: Most of people don't give a flying fuck where they buy their games. They want to buy them and they will buy them whatever they are mostly steam users, epic users or whatever.

Which is why this rage is all about. Because all of people who snide on Epic know full well in their guts that their scheme is working.

And from what i have been reading RDR sold about 20mln copies and it didn't take them long to reach it. That is not maybe GTA5 100mln but it is enough to be the biggest hit of the year in any year they would release their game.

So yes people will buy it regardless if it is on steam or not.

The store userbase is much more important to small indie developers though. But it is not like Epic didn't show that actually they can also sale a lot of games going by Satisfactory numbers.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
You made one big wrong assumption. That people buy games because they happen to be user of some shop. Not because they want to buy certain game.

Get this: Most of people don't give a flying fuck where they buy their games. They want to buy them and they will buy them whatever they are mostly steam users, epic users or whatever.

Which is why this rage is all about. Because all of people who snide on Epic know full well in their guts that their scheme is working.

And from what i have been reading RDR sold about 20mln copies and it didn't take them long to reach it. That is not maybe GTA5 100mln but it is enough to be the biggest hit of the year in any year they would release their game.

So yes people will buy it regardless if it is on steam or not.

The store userbase is much more important to small indie developers though. But it is not like Epic didn't show that actually they can also sale a lot of games going by Satisfactory numbers.

Actually no its not, Epic userbase doesnt even bother downloading the free games, less than 5% of its userbase downloads the free games.

And you think people are buying games in droves on the egs?

Hilarious.

And I wouldt trust any numbers from egs

Dontero

Banned
And you think people are buying games in droves on the egs?
Hilarious.
And I wouldt trust any numbers from egs

Satisfactory apparently sold about 500k copies. Worlds of dev not Epic.
That is new indie game coming from new studio with some level or people attention (mostly from Factorio community).
So yes they sell.

Which brings me to my point from post before.
People buy game not platforms.
If i want to play Borderlands 3 i will buy it from Epic store if Epic store is the only place i can get it.
Same as any other gamer out there who want to play their games.

Dontero

Banned
Why people compare Epic exclusivity to console exclusivity ?

Epic store is just one of many stores on PC, just because some games are only on Epic store doesn't mean you can't play them on PC.

Literally the difference is launching from different shortcut.

Pagusas

Elden Member
You mean this Half-Life?

51B0q1a6sGL._SY445_.jpg

🤔

What point are you trying to make? We are talking PC exclusives to storefronts, RDR2 is also on consoles, that doesn’t change the term being used here, as it will be exclusive to the Epic storefront on pc.

MMaRsu

Banned
Satisfactory apparently sold about 500k copies. Worlds of dev not Epic.
That is new indie game coming from new studio with some level or people attention (mostly from Factorio community).
So yes they sell.

Which brings me to my point from post before.
People buy game not platforms.
If i want to play Borderlands 3 i will buy it from Epic store if Epic store is the only place i can get it.
Same as any other gamer out there who want to play their games.
Why people compare Epic exclusivity to console exclusivity ?

Epic store is just one of many stores on PC, just because some games are only on Epic store doesn't mean you can't play them on PC.

Literally the difference is launching from different shortcut.

Why are you being so daft? Why are you coming with this bullshit " ITS JUST ANOTHER SHORTCUT BRO". Can you stop this? If that is your conclusion why people dont want EGS then you are a clueless moron. But you keep stanning and keep shilling the same bullshit arguments that hold no water.

Are you even a pc gamer?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Posting rumors as facts now rofl

Huh? Read what I wrote, that line was directly connected to “terms being used” thus the coma and not a period. In the context of this conversation that is the term being used, which makes the image that poster posted make no sense.

MMaRsu

Banned
Lol are you the one who asked for my library screenshot before ? Are you kid or something ?

No, but are you? You seem mentally challenged to come up with the same bullshit over and over

I think the other user was right to ask for a pic of ypur library. I doubt you even play anything on pc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom