• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Red Dead Redemption HD on its way to PS4, X1, and PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquidtmd

Banned
A remastered PS4/XB1 GTAV is still going for pretty much full RRP nearly TWO YEARS after release. It's a goddamn beast.

If R* put some effort in I think a remastered RDR could do not far off that. It may be not easy to code the port across but the reward could be nuts.

iboshow

Banned
PC version
giphy.gif

DKHF

Hopefully they just got it wrong and it's actually the new Red Dead being announced or new Red Dead announcement + a brief announcement of a remaster after the new game's trailer (the latter being the best case scenario).

Chris1

I refuse to believe that "messed up code" will stop Rockstar from releasing RDR on next gen consoles and PC. Even if they have to program the game from start in a new engine it still would be a more than worthwhile investment.

Not when that investment can go towards RDR2 (3) and make a shit ton more money.

I would happily buy this as I played the crap out of it on the 360. Switched over to ps3 only to find that it looks like turd ass compared to the 360 version. Also gimme dat gta 4 remaster to.

A remastered PS4/XB1 GTAV is still going for pretty much full RRP nearly TWO YEARS after release. It's a goddamn beast.

If R* put some effort in I think a remastered RDR could do not far off that. It may be not easy to code the port across but the reward could be nuts.

They just need to get it to run a 1080p and a decent stable framerate.

Even emulated on X1 it runs better than the original. So I don't buy the "it's too difficult/costly" narrative.

They could invest in a full-fledged next-gen sequel, though. So that's why it could be fake.

Genio88

I want the sequel, even though the game still hold up pretty well and i'm sure a "HD" version would look great, i want a new story and contents

Simo

Hopefully they just got it wrong and it's actually the new Red Dead being announced or new Red Dead announcement + a brief announcement of a remaster after the new game's trailer (the latter being the best case scenario).

Same here and I believe that's what will happen. They've been working on a new Red Dead in full development for over 3 years now and even opened their 8th Rockstar studios branch to help with the development who were originally another company Rockstar had outsourced too.

Cy-Kill

Neo Member
This is a pretty big deal if true. At least to the PC gaming community. They've been asking for it for years. I'm in.

Hellraider

Not when that investment can go towards RDR2 (3) and make a shit ton more money.

Releasing RD3 this year will make them shit ton of money. Re-releasing Redemption this year and RD3 the next will make them a lot more without having to add the cost of a new game. Yes, it might have to be programmed again but the game still already exists.

It makes absolute no sense to not remaster Redemption long term no matter the difficulty and cost. It would only make sense not to if the cost was literally as much as a new game. Which I think we all agree is not possible.

GHG

Even though I have it on Xbox one BC I'd buy this for the PC.

It could really do with a bit of a clean up IQ wise.

The game would be getting a full Korean localization this time, as the original game was released with english subtitles and a physical copy of the script translated to korean.

Holy shit, what the fuck?

I'd probably get a RDR remaster but not at launch, I already spent an insane amount of time in the original. It'll be interesting to see how I handle it though, I remember coming back to the game once Undead Nightmare came out and finding the controls really clunky.

Chris1

Releasing RD3 this year will make them shit ton of money. Re-releasing Redemption this year and RD3 the next will make them a lot more without having to add the cost of a new game. Yes, it might have to be programmed again but the game still already exists.

It makes absolute no sense to not remaster Redemption long term no matter the difficulty and cost. It would only make sense not to if the cost was literally as much as a new game. Which I think we all agree is not possible.
It's not as simple as that. If they remade RDR from scratch that means they're gonna have to delay RDR2(3) which also delays GTA 6 etc etc which is lost money. Is a RDR remaster going to cover the costs for a year+ delay on RDR 2(3)? considering how much GTA online makes and RDR is bound to have a similar component, I doubt it. Especially when you consider it's unlikely to be $60 and more around $40.

QaaQer

It's not as simple as that. If they remade RDR from scratch that means they're gonna have to delay RDR2(3) which also delays GTA 6 etc etc which is lost money. Is a RDR remaster going to cover the costs for a year+ delay on RDR 2(3)? considering how much GTA online makes and RDR is bound to have a similar component, I doubt it.

A) it wouldn't be from scratch as all the assets are already made
B) if by doing that, it helped develop the underlying tech which then would used for other games, it might be worthwhile

twisted89

Ash used to work at Rockstar

Doubt it's happening. And they just made it BC too, if a remaster was happening they would have held off on that.

That doesn't make any sense, they make MORE money this way. Get people to buy a BC version that literally took no effort or money to release then do a remaster and charge again. This is essentially what they did with GTA V, sell on old gen then hold off, say nothing for a while then release on current gen and PC and rake in the cash.

Chris1

If Skyrim remastered is going to be $60, this would be too.

Skyrims coming with mods it's not quite the same. It's also newer than RDR, but still old so probably wouldn't matter. I don't know about US but it's already been available here for months for £34 when new games are usually £40 ish.

Pachimari

I'm pretty sure this RDR Remaster has been known within insider circles for some time now. Alas this report is not surprising.

Simo

It's not as simple as that. If they remade RDR from scratch that means they're gonna have to delay RDR2(3) which also delays GTA 6 etc etc which is lost money. Is a RDR remaster going to cover the costs for a year+ delay on RDR 2(3)? considering how much GTA online makes and RDR is bound to have a similar component, I doubt it. Especially when you consider it's unlikely to be $60 and more around $40.

Nah a remastered RDR would sell like fire even at $60 and likely help a new Red Dead too since if the new game takes place before or features a region from RDR like the leaked map suggests then a remaster would be essential for PS4 and PC players.

I mean RDR has sold around what, 12 million copies to date where the only other game in the Red Dead series was a linear shooter that wasn't that big a hit but now thanks to RDR the audience for the series has only grown. I mean I'm hoping the news isn't a remaster but new Red Dead, however I can see why a remaster could also happen and....I'd likely grab a copy too. lol

I was going to bug out into the woods and never come back, living the rest of my life as an unpleasant yeti, but now I think I will stay. The only thing I want more than an RDR sequel is an RDR Remaster that's also on PC.

If these rumours turn out to be true... Man I can't wait to double dip on Pc, those graphics at downscaled 1620p@60fps...

*Drools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom