• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor resurfaces: PSN name change option appears to be coming soon

FranXico

I still don't get how they didn't just go ahead and introduce a Steam-like "Display Name" feature that overrides your PSN handle in every game that supports it. So literally every game since they introduced that new SDK account property to grab the users account name in 2015/2016 (?)... ? The SDK notes hinted that you should now use that property instead of the old one for displaying a players name. That could've easily been hooked up to a display name feature and all your headaches are gone.

I guess it's harder to monetize that though so full name changes it is now, probably?
The "display name" call probably is related to the "show real name" feature. But you have a point regarding monetization.

TimFL

The "display name" call probably is related to the "show real name" feature. But you have a point regarding monetization.
Nope, it has nothing to do with the real name feature seeing as games have been showing real names way way way before then. It's a new hook to grab an account name, the old one is deprecated.

FranXico

Nope, it has nothing to do with the real name feature seeing as games have been showing real names way way way before then. It's a new hook to grab an account name, the old one is deprecated.
The show Real Name on PSN accounts was introduced with the PS4. Only now I realised you were referring to a period after the PS4 launch

Out of curiosity, does sony charge you to change your psn name? I want my original xbox live gamertag which is available but i refuse to pay 10 dollars for it.

FranXico

Out of curiosity, does sony charge you to change your psn name? I want my original xbox live gamertag which is available but i refuse to pay 10 dollars for it.
If the feature comes to PSN, I would expect Sony to also charge for that.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Its worth considering that PS4 isn't the only system connected to PSN, legacy hardware like PS3 and Vita also need to be factored in so its never been quite as cut and dried simple as people have been making out.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Its worth considering that PS4 isn't the only system connected to PSN, legacy hardware like PS3 and Vita also need to be factored in so its never been quite as cut and dried simple as people have been making out.

Agreed, even if the Vita was more parallel with PS4, there were a lot of features introduced that made it over and expanded on... the PS3, yes, would also explain why they are doing lots of server shutdowns on certain titles in bunches now as well. Preparing for the migration going into the PS5 I bet.

Last edited:

Michele

you.
If this is true, this is big news and good news for peoples with embarassing names.

I used to call myself Antonio, but now that's not even my real identity and it embarasses me a LOT.

Top Bottom