• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Ryu Ga Gotoku sequel for PS3?

Altermo

Sorry if old. :)

The latest issue of Famitsu seems to report in their rumor section that Sega is working on a sequel of Ryu Ga Gotoku for PlayStation 3.

Source: www.gamefront.de

Original text:

Ryuu ga Gotoku (Yakuza)-Nachfolger für PS3?

29.03.06 - Die Famitsu schreibt in ihrer Gerüchterubrik, dass Sega angeblich ein einem Nachfolger des Action/Adventures Ryuu ga Gotoku (USA: 'Yakuza') für PlayStation3 arbeitet.
Sega hat die Meldung nicht bestätigt und offiziell noch keinen Nachfolger angekündigt.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
SolidSnakex said:
Damn, only took 1 post.

Quick huh? I would love to see this game have like 1000 innocent NPCs walking down a city street at one time. Would look sweet.

Amir0x

Banned
ThunderKing said:
why this game should be mulit-platform, the first didn't sell that well in jpan. thy might as well go multi with this.

Are you kidding me? Are you not even trying to hide your endless attempts at evading your ban?

ThunderKing? I mean come on, your original nickname was THUNDEREMPEROR.

Christ. Perm.

saelz8

ThunderKing said:
why this game should be mulit-platform, the first didn't sell that well in jpan. thy might as well go multi with this.

So, how did this game sell outside of Japan? Just curious.

DCharlie

Banned
Damn, only took 1 post.

Sega should spread the love especially if the game would be the same on both machines and help them make more mone... hold on, this is a Sega game right? forget it, it's probably going to the Wonderswan.

All that said , Ryu 2 on PS3 and i'll be the first in line to have sex with the SCEE building at T246.

Amir0x

Banned
but seriously how are they even in the planning stages for a new Ryu Ga Gotoku? The first cost 20 million or something, they couldn't have made their money back without the rest of the world getting in on the action.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
great news, I hope Nagoshi is involved with this. can't wait to play the first one.

Amir0x said:
but seriously how are they even in the planning stages for a new Ryu Ga Gotoku? The first cost 20 million or something, they couldn't have made their money back without the rest of the world getting in on the action.

I guess that's the benefit of being with Sammy now, they're loaded. :p

mckmas8808

Amir0x said:

Maybe some of that 20 million was dedicated for future titles on the PS3? [/hoping]

Error2k4 said:
not that great, less than 200k copies or something iirc.

great news, I hope Nagoshi is involved with this. can't wait to play the first one.
OUTSIDE of Japan, dear.

Japan - 320000
NA - 0
Europe, etc. - 0

DCharlie

Banned

reuse of code, reuse of art assets um... maybe, the fact that it's now an established Classic (f you all, it's a SEGA CLASSIC, doubters will be burnt) gives it more clout...

320,000 at $60 - and it still isn't dropping much in price (Because it's shit hot!) - nearly 20 mill in revenue - although obviously the profit aint going to be near that (especially when you throw in advertising) , however, with the western release and the popularity of thug games (this being thug Nihon style) then they could well make a profit on this project overal

and i hope they do, because it's a glorious game and a sequel would be pretty close to the top of my next gen wish list.

duckroll

Ryu ga Gotoku had a relatively low key marketing campaign in Japan and from mostly word of mouth alone, the game sold a whooping 330k in Japan. For a game that is not tied to any franchise at all released in a crowded December PS2 timeframe against titles like Kingdom Hearts 2 and Tales of the Abyss that's a real good showing.

In contrast, the huge SCEI marketing machine behind Rogue Galaxy released in the same period resulted in total sales of about 260k by the last count before it vanished off the top30 charts. In light of that it would come as no surprise at all that Sega is willing to continue to bet on this critically acclaimed game. :D

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
DCharlie said:
reuse of code, reuse of art assets

Yeah, it just has to be set in Kamuro-cho again,and they've already built it - so now they just need to up the texture resolution, throw in even more glitterball lighting effects, implement a realtime day/night cycle and weather, make more of the shops and clubs accessible and OH MY GODkadasjkdlj*thump*

I don't think Famitsu has a rumor section. Unless they're talking about the magazine's April Fools feature where it lists 20 scoops, only one of which is revealed to be true. I don't see anything about Ryu Ga Gotoku PS3 in there, but some favorite entries include:

"Tekken VS Katamari Damacy" (the Katamari Damacy king appearing in Tekken PSP)

Nippon Ichi will release a Disgaea 2 shooting game

Tenchu DS will let you move by riding a shuriken (this was actually planned!)

Microsoft will release a super large version of the Xbox 360 controller (1.5x the standard size) due to demand from people in America and Europe.

duckroll

AndriaSang said:
I don't think Famitsu has a rumor section. Unless they're talking about the magazine's April Fools feature where it lists 20 scoops, only one of which is revealed to be true. I don't see anything about Ryu Ga Gotoku PS3 in there, but some favorite entries include:

Microsoft will release a super large version of the Xbox 360 controller (1.5x the standard size) due to demand from people in America and Europe.

No, Famitsu has a rumor section. Every week there's a short "Black Hankichief" article where they talk off-the-record about rumors, much like EGM's feature.

300k for a new franchise would defiintely warrant a sequel. This is no surprise, other than it being for PS3 :eek:

dang, that's going to be awesome.

You're right! It's in there -- a tiny rumor section box.

The box also mentions that Microsoft's upcoming press conference will give information on a new game featuring robots and a new dice/card game.

Mrbob

AndriaSang said:

Hahaha, aww cmon now, what kind of backhanded comment is this? :lol We love the sexy revised X360 pad. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Quellex said:
So, how did this game sell outside of Japan? Just curious.

As far as I know, it hasn't happened in any other territory yet. It's coming to the states as Yakuza soon, though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
AndriaSang said:
:lol

genjiZERO

Mrbob said:
Hahaha, aww cmon now, what kind of backhanded comment is this? :lol We love the sexy revised X360 pad. :D

it's hilarious. MS should release the Duke 360 just as a joke and see if it sells.

GeoramA

Good news. They must be one of the 14,000 who got their dev kits, otherwise we would be seeing the sequel for PS2.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Is this really that surprising? Given the strong sales of the original, I had no doubt there would be a sequel.

*returns to eagerly awaiting Ryu's U.S. release*

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
human5892 said:
Is this really that surprising? Given the strong sales of the original, I had no doubt there would be a sequel.

*returns to eagerly awaiting Ryu's U.S. release*

It had strong sales? I thought it sold like butt.

Bebpo

Banned
OMG this would be the most awaited sequel ever on next-gen if true. No loading, MORE PEOPLE, hopefully another awesome story by the same writer, YES YES YES. I would start counting down the days on my calender if true!

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
FtsH said:
don't work on this, work on Shenmue 3!

dear god......
:lol :lol :lol

Ah, Ryu makes Shenmue look like an exercise in testicle scratching.
And I like Shenmue.

master15

432-Shenmue%203.jpg

One day :(

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
Totally expected. Why not keep the ball rolling on their most promising new franchise? With how well they crammed in what they did on the first one, I'm pretty stoked to see what they can do with new hardware.

I didn't make the connection until someone mentioned Sammy but....a game that glorifies the yakuza in which you earn money by playing pachinko? How can Sammy NOT green-light a sequel :lol

(.....given the common perception that all pachinko firms are in league with organized crime)

Tachikoma

Banned
Kiryu is a badass.. but come on. His story should have ended. I'm really hoping he wont be the main character in this sequel.

mckmas8808

Hey guys is the storyline really THAT good? If so how would you compare it to the GTA games, God of War game, or say Metal Gear Solid 3's story line?

Bebpo

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
Hey guys is the storyline really THAT good? If so how would you compare it to the GTA games, God of War game, or say Metal Gear Solid 3's story line?

Errr...much much better than those. I mean with the exception of MGS3, the other two are kinda throwaway popcorn stories to surround gameplay. The story in this is one of the best in any game to date.

Tachikoma said:
Kiryu is a badass.. but come on. His story should have ended. I'm really hoping he wont be the main character in this sequel.

I'd hope it would be like FF and be a completely different story but set in the same type of realistic Japan and use an upgraded version of the action engine.

Top Bottom