• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: sony in talks to acquire take-two interactive

It doesn't have to be an all cash deal, probably mixed. What are you talking about Microsoft acquired Lumia Windows Phone division for like $9b, wrote the whole acquistion down in about a year or so. (just saying :messenger_grinning:)

This would have to involve stock as well, it doesn't have to be all cash - it can actually involve no cash, depends on the deal.

Only some kind of alliance would be feasible. Microsoft has the cash but that doesnt fit in their strategy (which in real life means not having the cash). Sony cannot eat that fish. Too big for them. Besides, I don't see the purpose of that. Having 2K IPs as exclusives makes as little sense as the supposed EA acquisition by Microsoft for FIFA exclusivity. It's a lose-lose scenario unless there is something going on that we don't know at all.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
If true, this has been triggered likely by MS buying up all those other studios.
MS might have even tried to buy T2 first, the fight for exclusive content just got serious.
Next gen is going to get bloody.

ethomaz

Banned
If Sony does end up buying Take Two, their franchises will not become first party exclusives. This is because Xbox could've done the same thing with Minecraft but they didn't due to a sheer amount of lost revenue if they chose to do so.
Old games already released and DLC for these old games? Yes, just like Minecraft.

New games to be released? It will be all exclusive... Microsoft never tried to create a Minecraft 2 for example.

Last edited:

oldergamer

I call BS on this. This seems like a pump and dump stock scheme to me. Chalk this up there with the BS MS buying EA rumors

SaucyJack

The biggest shareholder in Take-Two is Strauss Zelnick, who was being tapped up as a potential CEO for merged CBS-Viacom. If that were to happen then one could understand why he might want to sell out, bank a few billion dollars and move on to a bigger job.

DanielsM

Banned
Only some kind of alliance would be feasible. Microsoft has the cash but that doesnt fit in their strategy (which in real life means not having the cash). Sony cannot eat that fish. Too big for them. Besides, I don't see the purpose of that. Having 2K IPs as exclusives makes as little sense as the supposed EA acquisition by Microsoft for FIFA exclusivity. It's a lose-lose scenario unless there is something going on that we don't know at all.

Not saying you're wrong, I don't necessarily believe this, but its not impossible either. Sony has cash, just not Apple cash, it would have to be cash and stock deal or pure stock deal, unlikely an all cash deal, they would have to finance it if it was all cash. They could give a 20% premium, the stock has been tanking since the Fall, give a few billion in cash and the rest stock.

It doesn't have to include any cash, it depends. (I'm not saying any of this makes sense) :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
This is the type of move you call an Xbox-killer. For me Xbox is already dead but if you're telling consumers they have to pick between a console that doesn't have Rockstar games and a console that does, I'd bet that's a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Sony doesn't have the money to actually comfortably make this acquisition, let alone the operating costs, and will not make money back anytime soon on such a purchase, and sales will be cut by 2/3rds as well as profits unless Sony buys them only to still release PC and Xbox multiplats. If they are exclusives the purchase is worthless.

Plus, With MS, EA, Activision, Google, Ubisoft, etc, out there them selling to Sony wouldn't make much sense at all. especially since they could sell some of the IPS to other studios for more money and than give the shell to Sony for another large check, which is what a smart company would do if they were selling themselves.

It would make sense if Sony spend a fortune on the GTA IP and still let R* make it but that's still not happening.

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
If MS havent bought them already, i dont see how sony could.

Different corporate priorities... and it's not necessarily a question of whether or not Microsoft could buy them, it's whether or not it wanted to.

Microsoft's MO has been to buy multiple middling but known studios... basically, it's betting on quantity and hoping that at least one of them will produce the next big hit. Sony generally doesn't snap up studios like that and might want to buy one large company instead.

Pallas

About as probable as those rumors saying Microsoft was going to buy EA but even less likely.

Who in this thread is saying that it's wrong for MS and good for Sony? I don't see a single post saying that. Nice try.

I don’t think he specifically meant this thread but you’d have to be blind to say that the acquisitions that Microsoft made wasn’t met with “They will shut them down in 1 year” or “I loathe Microsoft because Ninja Theory/Obsidian will be console exclusive now” among other reactions.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Am I mistaken in thinking we've heard this before about a company buying take two

Last edited:

crowbrow

Banned
This seems like an incredibly bold move by Sony. Hard to believe since Take Two will be quite expensive.

BUT it would make actually a lot of strategic sense for Sony. Some of the most succesful gaming franchises are with Take Two and right now the market is shifting towards cloud services. With big companies like MS and Google competing there Sony needs a bold move to tackle them head on and this might be exactly it.

SaucyJack

Sony doesn't have the money to actually comfortably make this acquisition, let alone the operating costs, and will not make money back anytime soon on such a purchase, and sales will be cut by 2/3rds as well as profits unless Sony buys them only to still release PC and Xbox multiplats. If they are exclusives the purchase is worthless.

Plus, With MS, EA, Activision, Google, Ubisoft, etc, out there them selling to Sony wouldn't make much sense at all. especially since they could sell some of the IPS to other studios for more money and than give the shell to Sony for another large check, which is what a smart company would do if they were selling themselves.

It would make sense if Sony spend a fortune on the GTA IP and still let R* make it but that's still not happening.

You are looking at this through a very narrow lens, and you’re wrong on almost every point.

Dthomp

While this is highly unlikely, gotta say IF a company is going to go hard after somebody, is there a bigger one to get then Take Two? That list of series is game changing, and possibly a big deal for some of those lesser franchises seeing life again on a console that appreciates the single player experience.

Raph64

This thread right now :

giphy.gif

Keep in mind it’s just a rumor at this point, guys. Just saying :coffee:

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
To argue people saying this move is bad, this is nothing but competition AND WE ARE THE WINNERS.

Sony is forcing Microsoft to be less shitty while at the same time Microsoft is forcing Sony to continue to grow and improve as a dominant gaming force.

I really appreciate the amazingly poor decision making Microsoft has done this console generation as Sony continues to be the very easy choice to pick.

Different corporate priorities... and it's not necessarily a question of whether or not Microsoft could buy them, it's whether or not it wanted to.

Microsoft's MO has been to buy multiple middling but known studios... basically, it's betting on quantity and hoping that at least one of them will produce the next big hit. Sony generally doesn't snap up studios like that and might want to buy one large company instead.
That is what MS need for it's middling game subscription service, quantity not necessarily quality.

And I don't believe this rumor.

Last edited:
To argue people saying this move is bad, this is nothing but competition AND WE ARE THE WINNERS.

Sony is forcing Microsoft to be less shitty while at the same time Microsoft is forcing Sony to continue to grow and improve as a dominant gaming force.

I really appreciate the amazingly poor decision making Microsoft has done this console generation as Sony continues to be the very easy choice to pick.

well. if its true i really doubt sony will make their games exclusive

i think some games will be. but most will be under a new label at sony (not playstation) that will be multiplat.

MC Safety

It's an intriguing rumor.

But buying a publisher is a lot more complicated than buying a development house. I never see that being discussed in these threads.

VulcanRaven

I hope not. Why would anybody want this to happen? I have PS4 but I don't think GTA or other games should be exclusive for it.

Raph64

Nah that's ERA right now.

While it sure is nothing compared to what is currently happening over at ERA, that’s still rather impressive for a forum with only more than 200 members online at peak hours.

ResetERA on the other hand, has roughly around 20 000 members online ( I think ).

Last edited:

Hudo

I don't believe this rumor (but you never know), but it doesn't have to be an all cash deal, something like this would probably be a mix of cash and stock.
That could very well be. I am not familiar with Sony's stock situation. Are Sony's stocks valuable enough for a deal like this?

But my guess would be that if Sony were to acquire someone, it would be studios like Ready At Dawn and QuanticDream.

nikolino840

This is the type of move you call an Xbox-killer. For me Xbox is already dead but if you're telling consumers they have to pick between a console that doesn't have Rockstar games and a console that does, I'd bet that's a deal breaker for a lot of people.
So no more PC games ;) like civilazition or others of 2k

Three

I sincerely believe that MS will make the next Minecraft exclusive to the next xbox as they have held back they super graphics upgrade from a while back. Sony buying Take two seems a weird counter but the only other evergreen title out there is GTA. No sure if it aligns with the image they are going for though. I call bullshit.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I can also see Sony acquire Remedy Entertainment, since they have a lot of contacts lately with other Sony Studios and it also looks like the latest video from Control, that the PS4 is the lead platform.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That doesn't seems financially possible - more realistic would be some kind of merge but I don't see much benefit for Take Two in it.

I love my Playstation, but there's ZERO chance Sony can afford Take-Two right?

danielberg

Neophyte
I think that they would be in talks with sony and Microsoft to get the best deal and Microsoft would never ever let sony buy them, they would sooner buy take two themselves no matter what offer sony makes.

How ? Doesn't take2 'owns' R* ? R* makes the biggest, most profitable masterpieces in the industry that nets you billions in profit. How fat is sony's wallet ? Thats a deal worth at least a few hundred billion, right? This is huge. Sony is putting all of it's chips on take 2.

Top Bottom