• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

oti

Banned
It's a point that lots of people seem to not understand:

The Switch uses the most advanced mobile chipset NVIDIA makes right now.

But Matt.

Why didn't Nintendo invent new battery tech that would solve the problems of an entire industry?

Huh?
Huh?

Nintendo is DOOMED

Piggus

He wasn't saying that Switch is akin to PS4. He said that an hypotetical PS4 level handheld wouldn't be priced as the regular PS4 price. Which is why he doesn't get the complaints about the Switch price (299$ for a handheld with better specs than Wii U).

I think it's perfectly fair to criticize the price considering the hardware they're actually using though. 32 gbs of internal storage? A GPU from 2015? C'mon.

I'm still buying one. The didn't overprice it enough for me to miss out on Zelda. But if you follow mobile devices at all from a wide range of prices, it's pretty clear Nintendo dropped the ball a bit with their value proposition, and they're going to once again find themselves in a situation where third parties won't/can't port their AAA titles.

that was the point

that a portable PS4 at $299 or even more is unrealistic

I don't know who that poster was talking to tho

He's saying that something as powerful as a ps4 that is also playable in a handheld form world cost hundreds more than this does.

He isn't implying docked switch is ps4 level.

He wasn't saying that Switch is akin to PS4. He said that an hypotetical PS4 level handheld wouldn't be priced as the regular PS4 price. Which is why he doesn't get the complaints about the Switch price (299$ for a handheld with better specs than Wii U).

Yup.

FLAguy954

It's pretty impressive, really.

It's not really that impressive considering the 3DS and Vita came out 6 and 5 years ago respectively, it's par for the course.

The Switch is still underwhelming to me due to the woefully anemic specs. Nintendo opting to make their console a 'hybrid' is not preferable to the sacrifices they made to the specs :/.

Oregano

I think it's perfectly fair to criticize the price considering the hardware they're actually using though. 32 gbs of internal storage? A GPU from 2015? Google can negotiate with Nvidia to use Tegra P1 but a fricken' console manufacturer can't? C'mon.

I'm still buying one. The didn't overprice it enough for me to miss out on Zelda. But if you follow mobile devices at all from a wide range of prices, it's pretty clear Nintendo dropped the ball a bit with their value proposition, and they're going to once again find themselves in a situation where third parties won't/can't port their AAA titles.

In what product? A car?

Rodin

I think it's perfectly fair to criticize the price considering the hardware they're actually using though. 32 gbs of internal storage? A GPU from 2015? Google can negotiate with Nvidia to use Tegra P1 but a fricken' console manufacturer can't? C'mon.

I mean, we have an insider with a flawless track record saying that Nintendo used the best chip Nvidia had available (not that you need him to see what products Nvidia has in store), and several japanese developers were surprised that Nintendo was able to keep the price that low. I'm not exactly a fan of the 299$ here, or even worse, the 329 bullshit we get in Europe thanks to taxes, but there seem to be valid reasons for that pricing.

About the 32GB, realistically they may have had room for 64 by cutting their margins, but it didn't make all that difference tbh, and i'm not sure why would anyone expect 128GB (or higher) of flash memory in a 299$ console. If you saw the form factor, you know you can't put a mechanical hard drive into it.

OCD Guy

It's not really that impressive considering the 3DS and Vita came out 6 and 5 years ago respectively, it's par for the course.

The Switch is still underwhelming to me due to the woefully anemic specs. Nintendo opting to make their console a 'hybrid' is not preferable to the sacrifices they made to the specs :/.

But even as a fully fledged portable device the spec wouldn't improve.

The only compromise it's made is to the home console element, as the portable side of the "hybrid" has dictated the spec due to heat, and battery life considerations.

The thing is, the fact they've labelled it as a home console in any capacity has done more harm than good. They'd have been better off promoting it as a portable that can be used as a home console, then the perceptions (and perhaps expectations) would change slightly.

Forgetting the hybrid, or home console element, and simply judging it as a portable device, is it still underwhelming to you? The only thing that's underwhelming to me is the display resolution but again I'd prefer 720p over anything higher if it meant having to make games like Mario Kart and Splatoon 30fps.

antonz

Tegra Parker based on what Nvidia has stated about Xavier indicates Parker was never going to be an option. Nvidia indicates 2 Parker units consumes 80W of power. So we can deduce a single Parker uses around 40W. That is well beyond mobile capability.

routerbad

Banned
That's true, but it will be a problem for Nintendo if a lot of people feel like me. We will see what the future holds I suppose.

It would be a problem. But most of the complaints I've heard about the switch up to this point aren't things that the majority of potential customers or the target audience (people that bought a 3DS or Wii/WIiU) is going to have a problem with.

I think that audience that bought the DS and the 3DS are going to go ham on this thing, because it's getting all of the 1st party support and all of 3DS's third party support. Based on that I think they can build a compelling install base, which is where some of the Western 3rd party support comes in, because for some reason the only feature western third parties get excited about is additional compute, and Nintendo have always focused on creating unique experiences rather than on raw horsepower.

(it's telling when you look at various console reveals how certain people react to them. For the switch presentation all of the Japanese developers were super stoked about the HD Rumble, going as far as to say that it was their favorite feature. Meanwhile at the PS4 reveal western developers were wetting themselves over Flop counts and extra gigabytes of RAM)

I believe most people are willing to compromise on graphical presentation for portability and overall experience, because most people into gaming aren't only buying a switch, they probably also have a host of other devices to play games on. That's the other side to the common "not in a vacuum" argument, because most of the people that are going to own a PS4 already do, given that they're already over the 50M sold mark. So a lot of the price comparisons fall flat for a number of reasons, but chiefly because the PS4's price is only going to appeal to people who don't own one, and those people may still go with the switch because of the portability and ease of use.

Oregano

Sorry, edited my post. Was under the impression that the Pixel C had P1, but I guess not.

Even Nvidia is still using the X1. The chipset is one place Nintendo definitely didn't skimp on. Actually even 32GB isn't out of line with similar products and it has expandable storage.

Now I'd probably agree if you said Nintendo probably could have left out stuff like HD Rumble and the IR emitter and priced lower. That probably would have made sense.

Matt

Sorry, edited my post. Was under the impression that the Pixel C had P1, but I guess not. Personally I think Nintendo should have waited a few more months rather than use X1 at the tail end of its life cycle.
A few more months for what?

FLAguy954

But even as a fully fledged portable device the spec wouldn't improve.

The only compromise it's made is to the home console element, as the portable side of the "hybrid" has dictated the spec due to heat, and battery life considerations.

The thing is, the fact they've labelled it as a home console in any capacity has done more harm than good. They'd have been better off promoting it as a portable that can be used as a home console, then the perceptions (and perhaps expectations) would change slightly.

Forgetting the hybrid, or home console element, and simply judging it as a portable device, is it still underwhelming to you? The only thing that's underwhelming to me is the display resolution but again I'd prefer 720p over anything higher if it meant having to make games like Mario Kart and Splatoon 30fps.

It's a great hand held disregarding any home console or hybrid talk yes. The battery life is underwhelming but that can be contributed to battery tech stagnating.

I'm just disappointed that Nintendo stopped being competitive spec-wise with other traditional home consoles as them consolidating their hardware is not what I personally wanted from them.

Oregano

It's a great hand held disregarding any home console or hybrid talk yes. The battery life is underwhelming but that can be contributed to battery tech stagnating.

I'm just disappointed that Nintendo stopped being competitive spec-wise with other traditional home consoles as them consolidating their hardware is not what I personally wanted from them.

I think the aspect people ignore is that you'd be getting a lot less games if Nintendo had to support a PS4 level home console and Switch level handheld. Even Sony couldn't support both Vita and PS4.

Making a powerful home console also wouldn't necessarily mean they'd get third party support.

MCN

Banned
I think a lot of people just don't really understand gaming technology as much as they think they do. Other mobile chips might get better performance out of some components (namely the CPU) but they can't get the entire performance envelope the Switch will have for any appreciable amount of time.

And you need that to run games.

Basically, the Switch is a fucking beast of a portable gaming device, the likes of which Nintendo have never made before.

OCD Guy

Yeah I'm with you there.

I'd love a cutting edge "normal" console, with a pro controller and a return for many of the more "hardcore" franchises.

A positive for me though is that they've not really thought of a new way to play, games like Zelda and Mario Kart are pretty much as traditional as you can get when it comes to playing a console game so I'm happy about that.

Don't get me wrong I'd have loved to be able to play a game like Zelda at 4k and 60fps with graphical effects and number of enemies cranked up to the max, but I don't think we'll see that for some time....

Some interesting things I read

• System clock auto updates based on network (so probably auto adjusts for daylight savings)
  • The NX does not support input methods like handheld input and hand-drawn input that were supported on devices such as the Wii U.
  • The web applet is pretty much a browser without certain features (tabs, bookmarks), but supports HTML5, JavaScript ECMA5.1, MP4, m3u8, ts, Webm. It's kind of like a hidden browser that devs can embed in their apps.
  • An account does not need to be selected when the NX system is started, so you can design your application to make the selection at any time. You can ask the player to select an account in the regular way when the application starts, or you can support any of the following mechanisms to suit the game design.
  • If you want, you can choose not to use the NX Friends feature, and instead make and use an application-specific friendship mechanism. Means devs can have their own separate friends list, such as on Uplay
  • Use local communication and schedule friend requests to be sent to the users of nearby NX systems. Imagine going to a convention and being able to blast out friend requests to everyone at once. Like spotpass, but more useful

routerbad

Banned
Sorry, edited my post. Was under the impression that the Pixel C had P1, but I guess not. Personally I think Nintendo should have waited a few more months rather than use X1 at the tail end of its life cycle.

Nvidia have confirmed that they aren't using an X1, but a custom Tegra layout. We also know that the specs in this "leak" are old, that they changed months after these were relevant, that any developer that was able to get the updated dev unit claimed that it was more powerful in some way (they didn't specify because NDA) and that it was a dream to develop on.

The new Tegra was announced in September, with commercial availability for the pascal based, 16nm FINFET SoC placed in Q4 2016. I'm speculating here, but this could be one of the reasons that the Switch was delayed, or, they decided to move to the newly available architecture, which featured slightly improved performance but greatly improved efficiency, because they delayed the switch for other reasons. We can speculate based on various leaks (combining them and making deductions) that the system was supposed to be revealed in September for a holiday launch but was pushed back sometime just before then, pushed back right after the time frame when these documents were created.

Scrawnton

Specs are perfectly fine for me. I'm playing Super Mario Galaxy on Wii right now upscaled from 480p to 4k on my tv. I'm not throwing up at the site of it. The game is still gorgeous. All I need Nintendo to do is consistently deliver great games and I will be happy.

I believe most people are willing to compromise on graphical presentation for portability and overall experience, because most people into gaming aren't only buying a switch, they probably also have a host of other devices to play games on. That's the other side to the common "not in a vacuum"

But the flip side of this argument is that people aren't going to want to pay $300 for a second or third device. As a PS4 Pro and gaming PC owner I certainly I'm less interested in the switch at that price then I would be if it was less even if that meant some fewer features. Add in the fact that it has paid online now as well and it becomes even harder to justify as a secondary device.

A handheld this expensive is a Hard Sell as evidenced by the 3DS. And the performance is very low as a Home console so it is hard to justify on either end at least for me.

So if a Nintendo ID can be used on multiple Switch's, does this mean I'll be able to download and play my games on different Switch's, like if a Switch Lite (or a special edition) comes out and I don't want to sell my old one?

I'd love to not have to use some archaic system transfer thing for the Switch. Son's solution where I just sign into my account and can get access to everything across PSP, Vita, PS3/4 is my favorite and I don't want it to be anymore complicated than that.

Scrawnton

But the flip side of this argument is that people aren't going to want to pay $300 for a second or third device. As a PS4 Pro and gaming PC owner I certainly I'm less interested in the switch at that price then I would be if it was less even if that meant some fewer features. Add in the fact that it has paid online now as well and it becomes even harder to justify as a secondary device.

A handheld is expensive is a Hard Sell as evidenced by the 3DS. And the performance is very low as a Home console so it is hard to justify on either end at least for me.
It is all about the software though. Nintendo DS was a terrible value proposition when it first launched. It took well over a year to make a case for itself and then it took a hardware revision to really take off flying.

This isn't Nintendos first rodeo, the have a system that can have new life breathed into it. Wii U couldn't drop in price because of the gamepad, but Nintendo can drop the dock and with standard economy of scale get this thing to $200 (the price of a 3DS XL that people are buying right now) and give this thing a great second wind, and that's after it's whole first year line up (which is great) is under its belt.

VegaShinra

I still can't believe anyone thought that was fake after the October reveal video. It had literally all of the exact same features on the sides of the device.

Because Laura Kate Dale kept saying it was fake. Didn't we have a developer on GAF say it was real numerous times?

routerbad

Banned

Since you have a PC and a PS4, the reason you would buy a Switch isn't to get the greatest presentation ever, so to my point that you quoted, you're at least willing to consider compromising on graphical presentation for the ability to have a portable HD console. Since you already have the two best ways to get the best presentation out of a video game.

Maybe at some point some particular franchise would make it a must have. However for a lot of people, even people with other consoles, this could very well become the primary console, especially when you consider that the market they're pushing for are adults with busy lives that need something portable but doesn't compromise on game depth to achieve portability.

AmyS

Tegra Parker based on what Nvidia has stated about Xavier indicates Parker was never going to be an option. Nvidia indicates 2 Parker units consumes 80W of power. So we can deduce a single Parker uses around 40W. That is well beyond mobile capability.

Interesting. I wasn't aware (or maybe forgot?) that Tegra Parker is a 40W SoC.

But the flip side of this argument is that people aren't going to want to pay $300 for a second or third device. As a PS4 Pro and gaming PC owner I certainly I'm less interested in the switch at that price then I would be if it was less even if that meant some fewer features

Price drops exist.

It is all about the software though. Nintendo DS was a terrible value proposition when it first launched. It took well over a year to make a case for itself and then it took a hardware revision to really take off flying.

This isn't Nintendos first rodeo, the have a system that can have new life breathed into it. Wii U couldn't drop in price because of the gamepad, but Nintendo can drop the dock and with standard economy of scale get this thing to $200 (the price of a 3DS XL that people are buying right now) and give this thing a great second wind, and that's after it's whole first year line up (which is great) is under its belt.

I absolutely agree that it's a good value at $200 with a solid Library. Unfortunately that is not what they are selling right now.

AmyS

Yep. I miss the days of Reality Co-Processor and Flipper with Nintendo 64 and Gamecube, respectively.

Scrawnton

I absolutely agree that it's a good value at $200 with a solid Library. Unfortunately that is not what they are selling right now.
Console launches are always like this though. Look at what PS4 and Xbox One had to offer at launch price? Up until Destiny I'd argue it wasn't worth it.

There are enough hardcore 3DS and Wii U owners to buy this system to sustain this device year one. It's up to Nintendo to have things in place for the rest of the market thereafter. I really think the reason for partnering with nVidia on this one is because of its ease of refreshing the hardware and because of its good price due to economy of scale.

Switch doesn't have the wow factor of the Wii, but it has what it takes to be extremely successful.

Terrell

VP9 hardware acceleration. I called it. What I didn't expect is h.265, though that appears unsupported, for obvious reasons. (Licensing that from the MPEG Consortium is expensive, yo)

So those concerned with game file sizes, Switch offers better video file compression than PS4 and Xbox One through hardware acceleration of formats designed for 1080p/4K video which can significantly reduce the size of games.

EDIT: Also...

A single Nintendo Account can be linked to multiple NX systems.

Looks like this is a done deal.

routerbad

Banned

That 80w is including two Tegra X2 (Parker) chips plus to additional Pascal GPU'. The Parker has an integrated Pascal GPU in it already. So the PX2 would have 4 GPU's. There's no way just the one pascal GPU in the Parker chip would be capable of 4TFlops on it's own, so two of them wouldn't come to 8.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-tegra-parker-soc-hot-chips/

Console launches are always like this though. Look at what PS4 and Xbox One had to offer at launch price? Up until Destiny I'd argue it wasn't worth it.

There are enough hardcore 3DS and Wii U owners to buy this system to sustain this device year one. It's up to Nintendo to have things in place for the rest of the market thereafter. I really think the reason for partnering with nVidia on this one is because of its ease of refreshing the hardware and because of its good price due to economy of scale.

Switch doesn't have the wow factor of the Wii, but it has what it takes to be extremely successful.

I bought my ps4 when destiny launched so to an extent I agree. But when PS4 launched it was still evident the hardware itself was a good value at $400. I can't say the same for the switch for myself. I know others will value things differently but the things they added which raised the cost just aren't that appealing to me, so I think that's where it's coming from to answer the original question of why people are complaining about the price. No one really expected a mobile PS4 for $300 but they expected what they actually wanted the switch to be for less than $300.

Because Laura Kate Dale kept saying it was fake. Didn't we have a developer on GAF say it was real numerous times?

I'm not sure about that, but anyone with eyes could tell it was real. I believed LKD had lots of legit info- and still do for that matter- but I did not believe her that that photo was fake. I have no idea why she even maintained that. Some people put a lot more faith into leakers than in their own reason, which is how you wind up with people picking up the pitchforks when leaks are proved to be incorrect.

VP9 hardware acceleration. I called it. What I didn't expect is h.265, though that appears unsupported, for obvious reasons. (Licensing that from the MPEG Consortium is expensive, yo)

So those concerned with game file sizes, Switch offers better video file compression than PS4 and Xbox One through hardware acceleration of formats designed for 1080p/4K video which can significantly reduce the size of games.

Interesting, I haven't seen anyone talk about that in this whole thread! Is this something that will/can be supported by devs by default or would it require some extra work to compress this video?

Someone should tell Nintendo that!

(I know the Wii U situation probably won't happen again with the Switch, but MAN that thing is still expensive.)

...But it still got a price drop. And it still didn't sell. So why drop the price further if it won't help?

Scrawnton

I bought my ps4 when destiny launched so to an extent I agree. But when PS4 launched it was still evident the hardware itself was a good value at $400. I can't say the same for the switch for myself. I know others will value things differently but the things they added which raised the cost just aren't that appealing to me, so I think that's where it's coming from to answer the original question of why people are complaining about the price. No one really expected a mobile PS4 for $300 but they expected what they actually wanted the switch to be for less than $300.
In a world where Ps Vita is $200 (no memory and real expensive proprietary memory) and New 3DS XL is $200, Switch at $300 definitely has value. It's the lack of a variety of launch software that drags the value down. But if you can get a Switch bundle with Mario Odyssey for $300 on Black Friday that value is even more increased.

This device has features very very different than a PS4 and Xbox One and I think they more than justify the cost.

also I whole heartedly think that without the recent political changes around the world the price would've been $250 in America and I bet Nintendo intended on that. But with the possibility of changes in free trade it's possible Nintendo had to respond in anticipation.

In a world where Ps Vita is $200 (no memory and real expensive proprietary memory) and New 3DS XL is $200, Switch at $300 definitely has value. It's the lack of a variety of launch software that drags the value down. But if you can get a Switch bundle with Mario Odyssey for $300 on Black Friday that value is even more increased.

This device has features very very different than a PS4 and Xbox One and I think they more than justify the cost.

also I whole heartedly think that without the recent political changes around the world the price would've been $250 in America and I bet Nintendo intended on that. But with the possibility of changes in free trade it's possible Nintendo had to respond in anticipation.

Well the vita basically isn't selling, and the original 3ds was a flop until they cut the price. But I get your point.

Someone should tell Nintendo that!

(I know the Wii U situation probably won't happen again with the Switch, but MAN that thing is still expensive.)

Yeah sort of sucks. I got mine for $250 CAD so basically a steal. But in general yeah the hardware is not going to be $300 forever so I dunno why peoplw always act like the price will never come down.

I am waiting for a price drop myself.

People of GAF, shall we now stop comparing Switch to ps4 and xbone?

For 299 Nintendo set out to do something very specific. Then went for the hybrid with lots of neat little extras like the joycons. The Switch was put together by very talented people with a clear goal in mind. This isnt a pos like the wiiu.

Nintendo didnt do this because "Nintendo" but because this is their vision. They didnt want a black box for under your tv. Lets move on and be happy we have more choice!

dtm808

It really is just the day one buyer's fee. Same thing happened with ps4 (400$) and especially xb1 (500$). Both went down in price and had good bundles soon after, and even if the switch stays at 300$, we will definitely see good bundles that will make it much more worth the price tag.

Top Bottom