• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Glass Joe

The positive is that Nintendo is in a position to easily drop the price of this device to drive sales. It's a good position to be in, actually.

They're in a position to react to market demands too with other form factors. A Switch "Home" that just puts the tech in the dock (removes the cost of the expensive screen and battery). A Switch "Go" that is more 2DS style with a low-res screen and cheap plastic.

With Wii U, they were apparently all-in with no back-up plan when people didn't dig the expensive Gamepad.

People of GAF, shall we now stop comparing Switch to ps4 and xbone?

For 299 Nintendo set out to do something very specific. Then went for the hybrid with lots of neat little extras like the joycons. The Switch was put together by very talented people with a clear goal in mind. This isnt a pos like the wiiu.

Nintendo didnt do this because "Nintendo" but because this is their vision. They didnt want a black box for under your tv. Lets move on and be happy we have more choice!

Some of us (like me) want to see AAA multiplats on the Switch because the Switch looks like the perfect device for my gaming habits. So how comparable its hardware power is to PS4/XB1 is something I want to find out.

Even though said multiplats being on the Switch depends far more on the publisher's business interest than it does on hardware power. But it would be nice to get a game like Dark Souls 3 or The Elder Scrolls VI on a portable device I can play in bed.

asagami_

Banned
The positive is that Nintendo is in a position to easily drop the price of this device to drive sales. It's a good position to be in, actually.

And the Switch isn't selling at loss. If the Switch hit the 10,000 (edit: lol) million of units in less of a year I would suspect in 2018 will be a nice price drop.

Doctre81

Laughing-GIF.gif

Umm he's not saying switch is a portable ps4. He's saying that making a portable that size with ps4 power for even $400 is damn near impossible.

Terrell

Interesting, I haven't seen anyone talk about that in this whole thread! Is this something that will/can be supported by devs by default or would it require some extra work to compress this video?

VP9 is a free open video codec standard designed by Google. It would just require that any video content be re-compressed with a VP9 codec, which is as simple as encoding it into the h.264 standard that most games use currently, but would be encoded at up to half the file size of h.264 video.

It's basically effortless additional compression available to developers with no loss to video quality.

TLZ

Banned
In a world where Ps Vita is $200 (no memory and real expensive proprietary memory) and New 3DS XL is $200, Switch at $300 definitely has value. It's the lack of a variety of launch software that drags the value down. But if you can get a Switch bundle with Mario Odyssey for $300 on Black Friday that value is even more increased.

This device has features very very different than a PS4 and Xbox One and I think they more than justify the cost.

also I whole heartedly think that without the recent political changes around the world the price would've been $250 in America and I bet Nintendo intended on that. But with the possibility of changes in free trade it's possible Nintendo had to respond in anticipation.

The n3dsxl's expensive price doesn't justify the switch's. Same goes for the Wii u. Both of them should be lower because they're Nintendo portables like Nintendo always did imo. At that price it is of no justified value to me. The portable aspect of a home console is not something I care about, and I'm a Wii u owner, and I love my Wii u. I don't like it being portable has made it a weaker home console. Or if they still wrapped the same innards in a home console it could've been sold cheaper. Anyway, I just can't wrap my head around any of this with that pricing. And please, there's no point replying to me with "but you can take it out with you, its different than ps4!", I don't care. I'm a customer, and I don't care. It's a functionality that might be good for some, but isn't for me. I just don't want to pay extra for that. That's not what I'm going to use it for. I just want my Mario's and yoshis looking the best they can on a home console. Is all I really want.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And the Switch isn't selling at loss. If the Switch hit the 10,000 million of units in less of a year I would suspect in 2018 will be a nice price drop.

10,000 million units! If they sold that much in less than a year, there will never be a need for a price drop.

(Yes, I know it's a silly typo)

Some of us (like me) want to see AAA multiplats on the Switch because the Switch looks like the perfect device for my gaming habits. So how comparable its hardware power is to PS4/XB1 is something I want to find out.

Even though said multiplats being on the Switch depends far more on the publisher's business interest than it does on hardware power. But it would be nice to get a game like Dark Souls 3 or The Elder Scrolls VI on a portable device I can play in bed.

I understand that and shouldnt that be technically possible? People on mediocre pcs can play aaa games too right? Wether or not the audience the Switch will get is right for those games is another question.

Umm he's not saying switch is a portable ps4. He's saying that making a portable that size with ps4 power for even $400 is damn near impossible.

I mean I guess it *is* possible but you'd have to compromise somewhere. More than likely it will have to be tethered to the wall at all times like Evangelions and it will only have 5 minutes of untethered power.

What Nintendo did with the Switch at its current price point and with current tech is damn near miraculous.

Scrawnton

The n3dsxl's expensive price doesn't justify the switch's. Same goes for the Wii u. Both of them should be lower because they're Nintendo portables like Nintendo always did imo. At that price it is of no justified value to me. The portable aspect of a home console is not something I care about, and I'm a Wii u owner, and I love my Wii u. I don't like it being portable has made it a weaker home console. Or if they still wrapped the same innards in a home console it could've been sold cheaper. Anyway, I just can't wrap my head around any of this with that pricing. And please, there's no point replying to me with "but you can take it out with you, its different than ps4!", I don't care. I'm a customer, and I don't care. It's a functionality that might be good for some, but isn't for me. I just don't want to pay extra for that. That's not what I'm going to use it for. I just want my Mario's and yoshis looking the best they can on a home console. Is all I really want.

Unfortunately for you the Wii U failed and the 3DS succeeded. This is probably the only way you'd get a new Nintendo device on a tv period. I'm sorry you don't see it as perceived value, but as someone who always bought into both Nintendo's consoles and handhelds, this is a heck of a lot more value than buying a Wii U and 3DS separately.

also you can take it with you it's different than a PS4.

routerbad

Banned

Based on the processing power, given that graphics are the easiest thing to scale (you can't scale AI, Physics, or other "game logic" without crippling the experience) it should be perfectly capable of running anything you can run on a PS4 or XB1, obviously with some compromises in presentation.

I understand that and shouldnt that be technically possible? People on mediocre pcs can play aaa games too right? Wether or not the audience the Switch will get is right for those games is another question.

Yeah, theoretically it should be possible for any PS4/XB1 game to be ported to Switch, but that's more likely to happen if the work required for the port is minimal. And the larger the hardware gap, the more work is required.

But if this thing does Wii numbers then all of that will disappear pretty quickly and we'll see a hell of a lot of AAA multiplats.

Based on the processing power, given that graphics are the easiest thing to scale (you can't scale AI, Physics, or other "game logic" without crippling the experience) it should be perfectly capable of running anything you can run on a PS4 or XB1, obviously with some compromises in presentation.

Yeah like I said above it should surely be possible, but I'm just hoping that porting will be as easy as possible in order to lower that initial cost barrier for publishers.

VP9 is a free open video codec standard designed by Google. It would just require that any video content be re-compressed with a VP9 codec, which is as simple as encoding it into the h.264 standard that most games use currently, but would be encoded at up to half the file size of h.264 video.

It's basically effortless additional compression available to developers with no loss to video quality.

That's great news to offset the news about 32GB being the current max for game cards. Well, current as of July 2016. Thanks for the info!

Vena

I mean I guess it *is* possible but you'd have to compromise somewhere. More than likely it will have to be tethered to the wall at all times like Evangelions and it will only have 5 minutes of untethered power.

What Nintendo did with the Switch at its current price point and with current tech is damn near miraculous.

No. It's quite physically impossible. The unit would simply melt and catch fire in that form factor. The chipsets take far too much power to drive and generate too much heat. The Slim still needs multiple 10s of Watts and generates multiple 10s of degrees C that has to have a large chassis and large cooling system to manage.

This isn't even a power issue, you could get around that with a wall brick. This is a hard thermodynamics limit.

routerbad

Banned
Yeah, theoretically it should be possible for any PS4/XB1 game to be ported to Switch, but that's more likely to happen if the work required for the port is minimal. And the larger the hardware gap, the more work is required.

But if this thing does Wii numbers then all of that will disappear pretty quickly and we'll see a hell of a lot of AAA multiplats.

Less about the hardware "gap" and more about the architecture involved, but gap does play into it a bit. Even if the CPU were the A57's listed here in the final retail unit, it should have enough CPU grunt to handle the code for any modern game. The Wii U's problem was that it had an outdated CPU architecture that was hard to program for, and was clocked lower than the 360's tri core PPC. The console simply couldn't handle the CPU intensive elements of most modern game engines.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I'm more than happy with those specs and this makes me thing that some Switch features are gonna be available on the long run or maybe at launch (they just may be focusing more on games and console itself in the short-run)

Geez... Some people here like to compare Switch features with mobile devices or other bigger consoles depending on the convenience.

For instance, they will say "other consoles have 1 TB for games".

Right, but remember that Switch main body is a mobile unit, whether or not it's marketed as a home console first and foremost, so having a HDD inside at the expense of making it bigger just wouldn't work since they would break easily due to how complicated moving parts are inside a HDD (they break very easy, like just moving it while the disks are spinning sometimes), so they have to go for what's better for a mobile unit: Solid State memory, and they are way too expensive just to put 1 TB inside... And they say "but it will be compared to other CONSOLES".

When they say "but my $600-$800 phone have a 1080p screen", they are completely ignoring (maybe on purpose) that the inside architecture works for a completely different purpose than a phone or tablet (even if they'd run BoTW at 1080p being undocked, they'd overheat and ran out of battery in around 10 min or so). And they say "but it will be compared to other high-end phones/tablets"

Come on... Can you have some consistency on your complaints?

Terrell

Is Bluetooth confirmed? Meaning I could buy a pair of Bluetooth headphones for flights and what not?

Bluetooth 4.0 is confirmed, but the software will ultimately determine what can be synced to it, and there's nothing in the information presented that seems to indicate that yet.

AzaK

Seems that their original statement on Parental controls is true, but unfortunate. The settings are system wide, not account wide. This poses problems when both children and adults use the system. You might want to restrict your child to certain play times, but adults you wouldn't. They would have to have access to the app as well to enable use (or get you to do it). Seems like a bit of an oversight.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think the aspect people ignore is that you'd be getting a lot less games if Nintendo had to support a PS4 level home console and Switch level handheld. Even Sony couldn't support both Vita and PS4.

Making a powerful home console also wouldn't necessarily mean they'd get third party support.

Games are pretty scaleable these days if the console and portable had the same architecture just at different power levels. It could just be like a newer PC running a game on high and the handheld or medium or low settings.

Agreed that it still wouldn't get robust 3rd party support though. Only benefits would be Nintendo games and Japanese exclusives looking better in console mode, and the console only/portable only crowd not having to pay for a hybrid with features/modes they won't use.

A few pages back someone posted a translated interview of Koizumi who seemed to indicate bluetooth headphones would be supported.

EDIT: Here-
Goddamn that's huge if true (and if it handles game + chat audio simultaneously)

Who am I kidding, it won't do that. Let it go Gino.

Goddamn that's huge if true (and if it handles game + chat audio simultaneously)

There are Nintendo Switch branded headsets with microphones, so I would imagine voice chat will be supported on a game by game basis. Party chat will be handled by the app (I'm guessing).

Short version:

Most of her HW info was correct. Not surprising as she'd typically vetted from several sources.

Lots of her SW/announcement info was incorrect. Kind of surprising given how good her HW info was, but not really that surprising since it couldn't have been as thoroughly vetted.

I really pray her mario and rabids info is not true. Fuck, i have nightmares thinking of that game.

I really pray her mario and rabids info is not true. Fuck, i have nightmares thinking of that game.

Well, an insider who has been vindicated in this very thread has hinted pretty heavily that Ubisoft has 7-9 games in the works for the Switch, 3 of which I think are accounted for so far (Steep, Rayman, Just Dance). So that leaves 4-6 more slots for Rabbids x Mario to take!

We've seen too much chatter about that game for it to be fake in my opinion, so you should probably expect it.

Seil

The new Mario game has rabbits. I'm leaning toward that being either lost in translation or someone misunderstanding something.

I don't think any amount of miscommunication about Odyssey could lead to "Ubisoft is making a Mario RPG with Rabbids"

routerbad

Banned

Yeah like I said above it should surely be possible, but I'm just hoping that porting will be as easy as possible in order to lower that initial cost barrier for publishers.

That's great news to offset the news about 32GB being the current max for game cards. Well, current as of July 2016. Thanks for the info!

Well, if Nicalis are to be believed it's "the easiest platform" to develop for, so far everything on that front is going in the right direction.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Game audio is my main concern. I game a lot with headphones while my fiance is working at home or sleeping, having a long headphone extension cord across the room to the docked console's 3.5mm jack is far from ideal....

I'll probably never use chat on it as none of my friends are into Nintendo and I don't play many of their online games anyway, nor ever chat with randoms.

The new Mario game has rabbits. I'm leaning toward that being either lost in translation or someone misunderstanding something.

I also thought that might be it when i saw the rabbits in the mario oddissey trailer but i can't think how anybody would confuse them with the ubisoft ones. But maybe it was perhaps a leaked email or so that mentioned the word rabbits and somebody just jumped to conclusions?

vern

Love the interface, a lot better than the one shown publicly.

Why?

Sorry a few hours late to reply, but for my lifestyle it's really tough to buy large things that do nothing but sit there. Also I know that my situation doesn't apply to most but here is why I'm stoked for the Switch and am glad Nintendo follows the beat of their own drum:

I travel a lot so form factor and portability is huge for me. I still want console games. I want to play the new Zelda and other great full sized games when they release, I just haven't been able to for the past few years. I've been contemplating a PS4 purchase and was at the store a few times ready to pull the trigger, I just haven't been able to. I don't even own a tv currently so that also adds to my issues with the big static box style of console that has extremely limited functionality unless tethered to a home entertainment system. I haven't moved my PS3 from my moms house in years, even though I absolutely loved that console and still want to play it, but jamming that big thing in my backpack and carrying it around the world doesn't appeal to me. I try to keep it simple because I travel for months at a time with just a backpack and a camera bag. Wii U was a little better and I did carry it with me a few times, though having the console and the game pad together was still pretty big and annoying, so the console mostly lived in my apartment and didn't get played too often. It was worth it though when I did suck it up and bring it around, for Mario Kart 8 and Bayo, and the other awesome games.

Also, maybe I'm old but graphics to me have been good enough for awhile. Over xmas I saw my friend playing his PS4 and yea Titanfall 2 looked pretty, and he could run on a wall, but it wasn't that much prettier than games I used to play on PS3. When I enter into screenshot threads and see people busting their nut over some realistic tree or a shadow I just feel so out of touch with gaming. Like we are at the point now that we know the game will look good enough pretty much no matter what, so for me the only thing to do is play it myself and decide if it's fun. Games are meant to be fun, imo.

My 3ds I enjoyed the games but basically gave up on the system because it was so uncomfortable to use. By all accounts the Switch is actually comfortable so that's a big improvement.

Don't know if you'll see this answer, but there you have it.

ryechu

There are Nintendo Switch branded headsets with microphones, so I would imagine voice chat will be supported on a game by game basis. Party chat will be handled by the app (I'm guessing).

I'd prefer party chat being handled on the app if its similar to discord or even texting. Onscreen keyboards are god awful. I'm still worried about how how voice chat will work if you are using a headset for game audio and not your phone.

Sorry a few hours late to reply, but for my lifestyle it's really tough to buy large things that do nothing but sit there. Also I know that my situation doesn't apply to most but here is why I'm stoked for the Switch and am glad Nintendo follows the beat of their own drum:

I travel a lot so form factor and portability is huge for me. I still want console games. I want to play the new Zelda and other great full sized games when they release, I just haven't been able to for the past few years. I've been contemplating a PS4 purchase and was at the store a few times ready to pull the trigger, I just haven't been able to. I don't even own a tv currently so that also adds to my issues with the big static box style of console that has extremely limited functionality unless tethered to a home entertainment system. I haven't moved my PS3 from my moms house in years, even though I absolutely loved that console and still want to play it, but jamming that big thing in my backpack and carrying it around the world doesn't appeal to me. I try to keep it simple because I travel for months at a time with just a backpack and a camera bag. Wii U was a little better and I did carry it with me a few times, though having the console and the game pad together was still pretty big and annoying, so the console mostly lived in my apartment and didn't get played too often. It was worth it though when I did suck it up and bring it around, for Mario Kart 8 and Bayo, and the other awesome games.

Also, maybe I'm old but graphics to me have been good enough for awhile. Over xmas I saw my friend playing his PS4 and yea Titanfall 2 looked pretty, and he could run on a wall, but it wasn't that much prettier than games I used to play on PS3. When I enter into screenshot threads and see people busting their nut over some realistic tree or a shadow I just feel so out of touch with gaming. Like we are at the point now that we know the game will look good enough pretty much no matter what, so for me the only thing to do is play it myself and decide if it's fun. Games are meant to be fun, imo.

My 3ds I enjoyed the games but basically gave up on the system because it was so uncomfortable to use. By all accounts the Switch is actually comfortable so that's a big improvement.

Don't know if you'll see this answer, but there you have it.

Oh my god are you me?

Minus the traveling, that's more or less my exact situation with gaming.

Just back after a few hours away... if you are talking about me as the vindicated insider and the 10 or so games I know about, they aren't all Ubisoft! I mentioned the R* one and even some indies before. I know of a smattering of games from different places here and there. Wishing some would get officially announced already though damn.

I didn't want to namedrop you but yeah, I thought I recalled you mentioning you had heard of 7-9 games from a specific publisher but if that was just from various publishers overall that's my bad. And yes, it would be nice if some get announced already.

@skittzo - pretty sure I'm not you! Lol

Haha well you basically described exactly why I loved the Wii U and will love the Switch, and it's basically because I can't be arsed to get a console connected to the TV (or stay in one place for too long), and because the 3DS is way too uncomfortable for me to use for long periods of time. Also I don't give a crap about graphics, just the ease of porting when it comes to third parties, so I'll be playing AAA games on the Switch rather than my PC when I have the opportunity.

vern

Well, an insider who has been vindicated in this very thread has hinted pretty heavily that Ubisoft has 7-9 games in the works for the Switch, 3 of which I think are accounted for so far (Steep, Rayman, Just Dance). So that leaves 4-6 more slots for Rabbids x Mario to take!

We've seen too much chatter about that game for it to be fake in my opinion, so you should probably expect it.

Just back after a few hours away... if you are talking about me as the vindicated insider and the 10 or so games I know about, they aren't all Ubisoft! I mentioned the R* one and even some indies before. I know of a smattering of games from different places here and there. Wishing some would get officially announced already though damn.

I really hope rockstar doesn't give us just Bully like they did with Wii...

OryoN

I guess I wonder what else they could do if $300 was their target. Of course if they removed all that stuff from the Joycon and just made it a simple detachable bluetooth controller, then the system could have possibly been more powerful at the same price or cheaper at the same level of performance. Even being comfortable with the $300 price point, it's the accessories prices that hurt the most...

Still wouldn't solve the heat/battery life issue.

What you are proposing would chew through an IPad sized battery in no time. Make the battery and its compartment much bigger, and potability breaks down rapidly. Any smaller it won't power that thing for any reasonably time.
How are you going to cool that thing? The heat needs somewhere to go! Now you need a much bigger heat pipe than anything Switch can ever have, and powerful and large enough fans to dissipate that heat. This thing would be:

- Way past the Switch's form factor. Forget sleek! Don't even picture anything that looks like Switch.
- Too power-hungry to power those "Switch-plus" quality games for any decent time.
- Loud/whiny, and likely still hot. Is this even worth the trouble to carry around?
- Incurring design price hike even after spending Joy-con $$ on higher specs, with nothing to show for it excep great looking games when docked - where it would remain, because it wouldn't be very fun portable. Congrats you've successfully created a traditional console! ;D

Seriously, I'm sure Nintendo/Nvidia engineers had to think about all of these factors when designing the Switch. It's not just about power here, but more about what is technically feasible across a number of areas(like: cost, size, weight, battery life, heat generated, etc). More than ever before, striking the right balance must have been the #1 priority throughout that 2 year development process. I believe those efforts paid off!

Rather than focus on more power than Switch already has - that would have done nothing but introduce more and more problems for little gains - Nintendo was absolutely right/smart to focus on other features that complements the device and add value. I genuinely believe Switch hardware is almost the very best that Nintendo/Nvidia could've done with the current tech a available today. Anything more either wouldn't be a significant step up from Switch, or run the risk of seriously compromising the entire concept altogether. I don't think we are fairly looking at what this device is bringing to the table at all.

OCD Guy

Rockstar are releasing a game for the Switch?!

I know that Take Two have confirmed a game but I assumed that was 2K and NBA 2K18.

Are you able to confirm whether it's new or a port of an existing game, or is that giving too much away?

Dystify

I also thought that might be it when i saw the rabbits in the mario oddissey trailer but i can't think how anybody would confuse them with the ubisoft ones. But maybe it was perhaps a leaked email or so that mentioned the word rabbits and somebody just jumped to conclusions?

The MarioXRabbits leak very clearly mentioned that it's a tactical RPG similar to X-COM iirc.

Exactly. For me it's Call of Duty. Playing Zombies on the gamepad was some of the best time I had with the Wii U (until I got rid of it). Now being able to play it on the gamepad I mean Switch anywhere is a huge plus. I don't get why Nintendo couldn't improve it's horsepower a little more to make it easier for ports. I really don't want another Nintendo box, whether their game output is improved or not.

I know that Take Two have confirmed a game but I assumed that was 2K and NBA 2K18.

Are you able to confirm whether it's new or a port of an existing game, or is that giving too much away?

I think it's the rumored LA Noire remaster which is also coming to PS4/XB1.

Exactly. For me it's Call of Duty. Playing Zombies on the gamepad was some of the best time I had with the Wii U (until I got rid of it). Now being able to play it on the gamepad I mean Switch anywhere is a huge plus. I don't get why Nintendo couldn't improve it's horsepower a little more to make it easier for ports. I really don't want another Nintendo box, whether their game output is improved or not.

We don't have confirmation yet on the horsepower so it may be better than we think. A lot of things point to it being better than the specs in the OP actually.

vern

It hasn't been announced officially but we had a big thread on the rumor. Don't wanna derail this thread, but it was LA Noire remaster (for all next gen consoles).

Top Bottom