• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us 2 in production, launching in 2015

gemoran4

As a gamer i am happy just keeping TLOU as a standalone title. As a business no way in hell is that happening given the popularity of the first installment. The question isn't if (unless naughty dog themselves are really against making one) but when.

Wotanik

Banned
I'm ok with TLOU being a standalone title. Not sure what they'd do for TLOU 2

Many times have Naughty Gods said that Joel & Ellie's story is unique, but there are other people and other stories to be told. So, it will have sequels and prequels until it's milked dry. And I'm all ok about that. Maybe they revisit Ellie in the future, who knows.

Vesper73

Really, just give us a polished/enhanced version of The Last of Us for the ps4 and that's all we need. You'll be swimming in it McDuck style....... Course you will either way.......

nib95

Banned
This is Naughty Dog, if they do a sequel, expect it to blow us all away. There's still a lot they can do with the story that hasn't been done before in gaming.

2015? With Uncharted 4 in production and next-gen needing another bumb in development time? Unlikely.

But I'll say this: The Last of Us is already a too powerful IP to let it stand as a stand-alone title. Which other game with a metacritic over 92, several GOTY-awards, and more than 3 million copies sold has stayed stand-alone?

Naughty Dog have competent coders. TWD games are unacceptably buggy.

Unless you are referring to narrative, in which case TWD is flawed source material.

How so? Given its very loose affiliation with the comics, there's hardly a limit of what they could do with characters so long as they keep it away from the group in the comics.

On topic: I wouldn't mind another game, but it's going to be very difficult to pull off if they have it as a direct sequel with Ellie.

kenjisalk

The problem with TWD is that the ending to season 1 was a powerful resolution to the story, and so far season 2 has not justified its existence one iota. Every character is eyerollingly bad in the writing department, and the whole thing limps along simply by victimizing a character you care about from a previous (and better) game.

Winternet

Banned
If this is true then i'm sure we'll get a 1080p 60fps port for TLoU this year/early next year.
So yeah, I want TLoU 2, I want it bad.

TLoU was so good that i'd rather them try to make a sequel and fail than not try at all. I want more. If it sucks or disappoints it won't change the first game.

Griss

I think The Last of Us was fine as a stand alone game. I hope the rumor is fake.

First reply nailed it. It'll only diminish how different and new The Last of Us felt. They achieved what they needed to achieve, and it didn't feel like a franchise. I've seen enough of that world already.

No thank you to Some More of Us.

TLoU was so good that i'd rather them try to make a sequel and fail than not try at all. I want more. If it sucks or disappoints it won't change the first game.

Yep and besides, U4 and TLoU2 are sure fire hits. You need a good mix of those to fund your more risky ventures and new IPs.

It is win win.

MarionCB

I'd love a sequel, and I have enough faith in ND to assume it'll be fantastic in its own right. Anyway, it's easy to ignore the very existence of a sequel if it isn't any good; it doesn't need to affect the first game. I mean, they made two more Star Wars films after the first one and if they weren't any good I could have just ignored them.

nib95

Banned
First reply nailed it. It'll only diminish how different and new The Last of Us felt. They achieved what they needed to achieve, and it didn't feel like a franchise. I've seen enough of that world already.

I think you need to have a little more faith in Naughty Dog. They've earned it.

I don't understand how you can say this about a game you know nothing about, besides the first one was amazing in quality.

What if TLoU2 is basically State of Decay only larger in scope and with amazing polish and production values? There are any number of directions they could take it and they could all be brilliant games (not to mention a straight sequel).

Sure if they reveal it all and it is exactly the same thing I could understand people not wanting more. But I have a lot of faith that they would have thought of this exact issue, especially after Uncharted 3.

GopherD

The Best of Us

The world becomes aware of Ellie's immunity. She and Joel are are on the run from Infected, bandit groups who want revenge and everyone else who see them as a prize many will pay for. Betrayal, revenge and the ethical dilemma, "just what would you sacrifice to save the world?"

For example.

nib95

Banned
The Best of Us

The world becomes aware of Ellie's immunity. She and Joel are are on the run from Infected, bandit groups who want revenge and everyone else who see them as a prize many will pay for. Betrayal, revenge and the ethical dilemma, "just what would you sacrifice to save the world?"

For example.

Yes. Please.

Naughty Dog should make a comedy-themed game. That's a very underrepresented genre in video games. And I feel like they could do an amazing job with comedy. It would also help balance the mood at that studio cause making games like the The Last of Us has to be emotionally draining. Also, The Last of Us feels like it's complete. That gameplay wouldn't translate to a character other than Joel or Ellie. The way the combat works is very much an extension of both Joel and Ellie. If they make a sequel and just slightly change the gameplay but it feels too familiar, then it would trivialize the first game. Neither Joel nor Ellie were trained professionally, so it's not like their combat style is going to be the same as everyone else. With Uncharted it's not really a problem since you play as Drake in all of the games.

Basically, I'm saying Naughty Dog should make a new IP. Maybe even make some smaller games on the side. That would be cool. Even Ubisoft is experimenting with indie-sized games with Child of Light. Sony should try it too.

rdrr gnr

The Best of Us

For example.
Please no. Returning to those two undermines everything about the original's ending.

maneil99

Naughty dog doesn't have TWO teams people. There is a 0% chance of this happening. Most of ND works on one game, once they do their job they work on the next, there is a skeleton crew brainstorming and laying the foundations for the next game. Also a 2 year dev cycle for a ND game even if they had 2 teams? Yeah right.

nib95

Banned
Naughty dog doesn't have TWO teams people. There is a 0% chance of this happening. Most of ND works on one game, once they do their job they work on the next, there is a skeleton crew brainstorming and laying the foundations for the next game. Also a 2 year dev cycle for a ND game even if they had 2 teams? Yeah right.

Yes they do have two teams. And they work on different games simultaneously.

One is working on Uncharted 4, the other something else.

maneil99

Because it had a well executed story?

The game barely ran at an acceptable image quality and framerate on the ps3 and there was almost no enemy variance whatsoever. I struggle to realize why people think that mechanically the series has come even close to hitting its peak.

So any game that doesn't reach perfection visually needs a sequel? Really flawed logic, you want another game because the graphics weren't good enough. Enemy variety? Heavy armored enemies, spitters and smokers have no place in TLOU.

Naughty Dog should make a comedy-themed game. That's a very underrepresented genre in video games. And I feel like they could do an amazing job with comedy. It would also help balance the mood at that studio cause making games like the The Last of Us has to be emotionally draining. Also, The Last of Us feels like it's complete. That gameplay wouldn't translate to a character other than Joel or Ellie. The way the combat works is very much an extension of both Joel and Ellie. If they make a sequel and just slightly change the gameplay but it feels too familiar, then it would trivialize the first game. Neither Joel nor Ellie were trained professionally, so it's not like their combat style is going to be the same as everyone else. With Uncharted it's not really a problem since you play as Drake in all of the games.

Basically, I'm saying Naughty Dog should make a new IP. Maybe even make some smaller games on the side. That would be cool. Even Ubisoft is experimenting with indie-sized games with Child of Light. Sony should try it too.

Journey? Tearaway? Dead Nation? Pretty sure Sony has other Indie-esque titles out there, and it sounds like they are already exploring that area for the PS4.

Also, I don't see how it would trivialize the first game if a sequel played like...a sequel, assuming with your reasoning it is different characters. Don't see how a sequel, especially regarding gameplay, keeps someone from enjoying a game they claim stands alone already.

You'd also be surprised at how similar people fight when they need to. Sure, there are quirks here and there, but people tend to go for the same places in similar ways.

maneil99

Yes they do have two teams. And they work on different games simultaneously.

One is working on Uncharted 4, the other something else.

The IGN interview and Victors basement prove otherwise, they have pretty much 1.5 teams, alot of the staff works on the soon to be released games then moves over to the other game when they finish there part of the game. Right now whatever game Neil and his team are working on only has part of ND starting to get the game going. Amy has the rest of ND working fulllout on Uncharted 4. As that game gets closer to launch and things are finished many will move over to TLOU2 or whatever the next game is. Check out the credits for TLOU and Uncharted 3, many are carried over

Rand6

Naughty dog doesn't have TWO teams people. There is a 0% chance of this happening. Most of ND works on one game, once they do their job they work on the next, there is a skeleton crew brainstorming and laying the foundations for the next game.

Wait...what? Do you have a link for this?
I always thought they have 2 team.

nib95

Banned
The IGN interview and Victors basement prove otherwise, they have pretty much 1.5 teams, alot of the staff works on the soon to be released games then moves over to the other game when they finish there part of the game. Right now whatever game Neil and his team are working on only has part of ND starting to get the game going. Amy has the rest of ND working fulllout on Uncharted 4. As that game gets closer to launch and things are finished many will move over to TLOU2 or whatever the next game is. Check out the credits for TLOU and Uncharted 3, many are carried over

Link? I know the second team sometimes help out the first and vice versa, but I'm pretty sure I've heard in different interviews in the past, that they refer to having two separate teams.

http://www.reviewsontherun.com/all/type-of/news/episode-50/ im 99% its in part 1 where they mention it, scott brings up how he didnt like uncharted 3 and they reveal to scotts suprise alot of the uncharted 3 team moved over to help TLOU after it finished

This is from June 2013 dude. Pretty sure they have a good degree more man power these days.

The Best of Us

For example.

So basically you are confirming that rumor its true.

Cause your level of insider is above and beyond of CBOAT, I pressume...

DAYUMMM!!

The Best Of Us, late 2015!!!!

yurinka

I want it. I know ND has two tracks running, but I doubt they would release 2 games (not 2 fully separated teams) the same year. I see 2015 as the year of Uncharted 4.

If they really going to make it sequel I want a totally new bunch of characters.

While I wouldn't mind returning to Ellie, this probably would be the best route. Also would like different/more locations. Expand on the forest aspect especially, and maybe escape the US in focus and see how things are handled elsewhere with hints at moments from the first game.

Randam

While I wouldn't mind returning to Ellie, this probably would be the best route. Also would like different/more locations. Expand on the forest aspect especially, and maybe escape the US in focus and see how things are handled elsewhere with hints at moments from the first game.
If they bring back ellie I really don't know if I would buy it.

Give her and the rest a break. They've been through more than enough.

If they bring back ellie I really don't know if u would buy it.

Give her and the rest a break. They've been through more than enough.

Depends. I want to see a couple of years go by at least to allow for some change for her, Joel, and allow for the consequence of their (Joel's) actions to naturally present themselves if they went that route.

Otherwise, it probably won't have a chance of holding up as a direct follow-up.

http://www.reviewsontherun.com/all/type-of/news/episode-50/ im 99% its in part 1 where they mention it, scott brings up how he didnt like uncharted 3 and they reveal to scotts suprise alot of the uncharted 3 team moved over to help TLOU after it finished

ND definitely have two teams, that much has been pretty much confirmed for over a year now.

Also, how could the U3 team have moved over to help the TLOU team if there wasn't already a second team working on TLOU?

foxbeldin

Not happening, Uncharted 4 is the ND 2015 title.
It's not a matter of team, it's a matter of promotion and communication. They won't launch two games without at least a year in between. (Except HD ports)

Jawmuncher

All I want is more of the human interaction over the fungus.
Honestly found the fungi parts to be the weakest part of the game.

id buy anything they make to do with it but id preffer that they do a direct continuation from the last of us if they do anotherone. As in continue right from the ending, none of this 2 years later stuff, and no prequel.

Top Bottom