• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Last of Us 2 in production, launching in 2015

Whether the rumor is true or not, I enjoyed LoU, but why do I get the feeling a sequel can be a bad idea?

1) Can it top or even be on par with the story to the first one? Since story was a major part of why the game was good and memorable.

2) Will it be more of the same gameplay/stealth action just with new baddies to kill? Will that be enough?

This isn't Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2. LoU 2 could be more Uncharted 2 to Uncharted 3, if you know what I mean!

Of course more of the same isn't a bad thing but the stealth gameplay could get tiresome after so many hours. AND there would be a crapstorm among fans if they shifted to a Dead Space 2/3 direction with more action and shooting than survival/horror.

Maybe I'm splurting nonsense. In other words, a sequel is going to be really difficult and a huge task like topping RE4 or Ocarina.

I, too, have made up insiders that confirm this website's made up insiders are full of shit.

In any case, predicting that Naughty Dog is working on a sequel to The Last of Us is like predicting there will be a new fucking Call of Duty this year.

Poor reference, ND nor Sony for that matter never annualize their games for release. And you're talking about Naughty Dog here, they always look forward to making new experiences!

I feel that there is much to still be explored in this world...but at the same time I really liked how they ended the game.

While I would be okay with a sequel, it would need to be done right and I feel like this would be very difficult to do.

You know--we can say "too early" all we damn well please...but we all know we're going to buy it and it's going to be a massive success. Sony has positioned its consoles as the alternative to the dudebro shooter nature that MS has been promoting for years (although the PS3/PS4 have those games). It's a blockbuster IP--nothing more needs to be said really.

kenjisalk

People defending the pure idea of a sequel to this game are the kind of people who would demand another 'No Country For Old Men' because the end of the film is left uncertain.

They're part of the creative problem plaguing this industry, where no AAA game is allowed to get out the door without planning a franchise by leaving unresolved plot threads and expecting an "expanded universe".

Films will always have a leg up on games narratively speaking if we continue to enable this trend in the AAA space. We need to communicate to publishers that it's good (nay healthy) to have titles that stand on their own, that franchise building isn't the answer for everything, and to let a game occasionally breathe rather than going 'Full Ubi' all the time.

antitrop

Poor reference, ND nor Sony for that matter never annualize their games for release. And you're talking about Naughty Dog here, they always look forward to making new experiences!

You're reading too much into it. I was merely saying there's a 100% chance that we will see a sequel to TLoU.

Yagharek

If true I should really borrow the game from someone and finally play it

Do it. I begrudgingly got the game after giving in to the hype. Admittedly I was turned off by uncharted 3 mediocrity and the obnoxious elements of the fanbase.

But the game is very good. I wouldn't say it is a quantum leap or anything that profound, but it has production values through the roof and a fantastically oppressive atmosphere.

Gorillaz

People defending the pure idea of a sequel to this game are the kind of people who would demand another 'No Country For Old Men' because the end of the film is left uncertain.

They're part of the creative problem plaguing this industry, where no AAA game is allowed to get out the door without planning a franchise by leaving unresolved plot threads and expecting an "expanded universe".

Films will always have a leg up on games narratively speaking if we continue to enable this trend in the AAA space. We need to communicate to publishers that it's good (nay healthy) to have titles that stand on their own, that franchise building isn't the answer for everything, and to let a game occasionally breathe rather than going 'Full Ubi' all the time.

Is this post serious

Every ND title so far has been two years apart. So yeah, 2015 seems a better fit for UC4 instead.

If ND brings out UC4 late 2015 that would have been 4 years since 3 they are two teams now .
That would be the longest they ever took to make a game as for the TLOU2 i hope it's not a prequel don't really like them .

-MD-

Let it cook, don't turn this series into Uncharted please.

I also wouldn't mind if Ellie was the main playable character in the sequel.

kenjisalk

Not really surprising, but I don't see how they can continue Joel's story.

It'll be some dumb prequel fanfiction about how Joel and Tess met, in the early days of the chaos.

The ending will be the first scene after the time skip in the first game.

Nothing will be gained from it, I'll die a little bit inside.

Dice//

Banned
It'll be some dumb prequel fanfiction about how Joel and Tess met, in the early days of the chaos.

The ending will be the first scene after the time skip in the first game.

Nothing will be gained from it, I'll die a little bit inside.

Nooo. A prequel would be awful for the series.

Definitely would rather see older Elie or a new part of the map being unconvered. And Joel making a cameo to look something like this:

boondock-saints-il-duce-whysoblu.jpg

Yagharek

I'm only up to Fall on my first playthrough, but I can make reasonable guesses as to where the story goes.

They could always make stories in the same world, different people, different struggles, different countries, different context.

Surfaced

Neo Member
I really hope this is false. We do not need a sequel and I certainly do not want one.

A team as talented as Neil Druckmann's should be working on new IP, getting fresh ideas and scenarios out there. Leave sequel business to the other ND team.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

I actually kind of agree with this. The Last of Us doesn't need to go any further. It's an excellent standalone.

Estellise

I'm honestly not against a sequel because I enjoyed this game so much. I just can't see Naughty Dog screwing it up either because they probably wouldn't make a damn sequel if they knew they couldn't come up with just as a brilliant story as the first one. (pretty sure that was mentioned in a interview)

That being said, who knows if it'd even be the same characters. I can see why people wouldn't want a story with Ellie/Joel again but that doesn't mean a story set in the same place with new characters would be a bad idea.

I trust Neil Druckmann.

Whenever the second game comes out, whatever it's called, whoever it follows, whenever it's set. I trust Neil Druckmann.

I'm not going to speculate what they could do for a sequel and what wouldn't work, because honestly, I'm sure Druckmann has thought of it all already and weighed all the options and has a better sense of where the story should go than us, even if he's still not sure.

Let's face it, he's a better writer and director than any of us.

(Okay, I don't want to be so absolute. Most any of us.)

Jigorath

Banned
As long as it has nothing to do with Joel and Ellie then I'm fine with it. I'd love to go on another story-driven adventure in this universe.

Totally down for TLOU2.

I'd like something around the time of the outbreak. When shit was popping off, there was so much energy to everything.
I'd be interested in coming across groups of survivors, having to negotiate with them, etc.

Put a lot of work into a dialogue system and enemy AI. Make it more actiony.

Make it the Aliens whereas the first one was Alien.

Edit: And by TLOU2, I mean not focused on anyone we've met thus far. Totally new groups.

Gorillaz

Totally down for TLOU2.

I'd like something around the time of the outbreak. When shit was popping off, there was so much energy to everything.
I'd be interested in coming across groups of survivors, having to negotiate with them, etc.

Put a lot of work into a dialogue system and enemy AI. Make it more actiony.

Make it the Aliens whereas the first one was Alien.

That's what I was thinking eariler too.

Start off on your own
group up with survivors down the road
Have a standoff against another group
Your group survives/wins standoff
Group breaks down in morals
Your group turns into future fireflies

Add in more about downfall of morals, Martial Law problems, and rioting. BAM you got a prequel

Your group turns into future fireflies
That's the thing, I don't even think it has to be that referential to the first one.

We don't really know what happened on the West coast or the South, do we?

No need to hamstring it into the events of TLOU. It can stand on it's own.

Gorillaz

That's the thing, I don't even think it has to be that referential to the first one.

We don't really know what happened on the West coast or the South, do we?

No need to hamstring it into the events of TLOU. It can stand on it's own.

Yea I threw that part in if they wanted to do that. It doesn't need it tho I agree.

I can see them do something down south or out west. It would allow them to play around even more with varying environmental levels

Top Bottom