• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: The Witcher Sirius Project is a Japanese-setting Witcher game

Draugoth

Gold Member
Rumor is from 4chan, normally i wouldnt bother, but this on one actually makes some sense.

Jl52EX4.jpg

the_witcher_project_sirius_T3u9IFx.jfif

From post:
  • The Witcher Project Sirius is a japanese take on the Witcher Series, a one time thing much like Bloodborne by FromSoftware.
  • The game is increasing the budget of it's single player and canning the multiplayer, the decision was made due to recent analysis of failures and shutdown of various games as a service around the market.
  • Project Sirius is a 'what if' Witcher based in japan like The Witcher: Ronin series, taking place in Edo Japan with all characters having a japanese background and racial features. It's taking 'some inspiration' from the manga (the kickstarter was also used a test)
  • The game is still in pre production and it was aiming for a scope similar to the Witcher 2, now it's aiming to go open world or semi-open world (depends on time constraints), the game is aiming to be developed in UE5. This could easily change, whomever.
  • The aim of the game is to popularize the Witcher, CPDR brand in the east and attract new fans for the series while giving something new to old-time fans.
  • An anime adaptation much like Edgerunners is being considered.

Last edited:
A Japanese themed Witcher game? fucking dope. CDPR are creative geniuses, really curious to see what they will come up with.

Aenima

Interesting, but why so sirius?

Im too atached to the lore of the current european fantasy mediavel setting to really by excited about another samurai game, but im curious to see it since this seems to be a smaller project from a smaller team.

Last edited:

Killer8

Fictional world setting with its own unique nations and races, but they are going to do a spin-off set in Japan?

Dumb rumor. Or if true, dumb company. Either way: dumb.

StueyDuck

With all the shit they've been through with the IP and the author especially I am doubting this.

Also "one time thing like bloodborne" sounds like fan fiction. And not a real internal document. Why would bloodborne be their first bullet point

Plus obviously.... 4chan

Last edited:
Fictional world setting with its own unique nations and races, but they are going to do a spin-off set in Japan?

Dumb rumor. Or if true, dumb company. Either way: dumb.
Right, if it is specifically in Japan, this rumor is for sure fake. What it should be is a Japan inspired setting. The same way W3 is set in a medieval Poland inspired setting. It can't be called Japan, or have real locations.

Tsaki

"the decision was made due to recent analysis of failures and shutdown of various games as a service around the market."
That quote kills this leak for me. If a project has a vision for its multiplayer, it will not can it just because other MP games bombed for whatever reason. It reads more like a reassurance to bait people in believing it. "Our game is for the hardcore singleplayer RPG player. Look! We even cancelled the MP portion of the game".

Fuz

Banned
The Molasses Flood is a CD PROJEKT game development studio located in the greater Boston area. We were founded by industry veterans in 2014, and since then have created The Flame in the Floodand Drake Hollow.

out-of-gas-deflated.gif

Puscifer

Interesting, but why so sirius?

Im too atached to the lore of the current european fantasy mediavel setting to really by excited about another samurai game, but im curious to see it since this seems to be a smaller project from a smaller team.
Curious, why say "another Samurai game" when truly we've only had Ghost in 10 years and Onimusha 15-20 years before that.

The only thing that deflated me was this news "The game is still in pre production and it was aiming for a scope similar to the Witcher 2, now it's aiming to go open world or semi-open world (depends on time constraints), the game is aiming to be developed in UE5. This could easily change, whomever."

This disappointed me, Witcher 2 and Yakuza are great examples of maxing out smaller scopes as best you can be packing em deep with content, I hope it doesn't go open personally. I would love 2-3 smaller but densely packed areas.

Aenima

Curious, why say "another Samurai game" when truly we've only had Ghost in 10 years and Onimusha 15-20 years before that.
Yakuza Ishin
Ni-Oh
Ni-Oh 2
Sekiro

Upcoming :
Rise of the Ronin

Not to mention all the chinese myth games that use an identical setting, like Wo Long.

Im ok with this, im just not excited to see the witcher lore in another setting than european mediaval fantasy.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
So I'm intrigued but also have a lot of questions. Will the Witchers be the only people with an american accents in the game? Will Geralt be Japanese? Is Geralt even the main character in the game?

Will there be geishas? Will anybody else from previous games make a cameo. Is Siri gonna be in it? They say a "what if" game, which would lead me to believe that Roach will make a return but the horse's name will now be Gokiburi...or maybe just Goki.

Killer8

Yakuza Ishin
Ni-Oh
Ni-Oh 2
Sekiro

Upcoming :
Rise of the Ronin

Not to mention all the chinese myth games that use an identical setting, like Wo Long.

Im ok with this, im just not excited to see the witcher lore in another setting than european mediaval fantasy.

Don't forget that Assassin's Creed has also become creatively bankrupt enough to finally do the Japanese version people have been wanting for years.

I think Ghost of Tsushima's success has been a double-edged sword. It's great that it gave Japanese studios the confidence to use the setting in their games (bringing Ishin to the West finally), but now every other two-bit Western dev that isn't Sucker Punch wants a piece of the pie as well.

Aenima

Don't forget that Assassin's Creed has also become creatively bankrupt enough to finally do the Japanese version people have been wanting for years.

I think Ghost of Tsushima's success has been a double-edged sword. It's great that it gave Japanese studios the confidence to use the setting in their games (bringing Ishin to the West finally), but now every other two-bit Western dev that isn't Sucker Punch wants a piece of the pie as well.
Assassins Creed Codename Jade seems to be an AC for mobile only and its based in china, it came to my mind too i just dont mentioned it for being a mobile game.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
Man, how can they have been so fucking tone deaf for decades?

Killer8

Assassins Creed Codename Jade seems to be an AC for mobile only and its based in china, it came to my mind too i just dont mentioned it for being a mobile game.

Assassin's Creed Red is the Japanese one and will be a mainline title:

Dazraell

This is probably fake. CDPR recently had an earning calls where they mentioned Sirius game was meant to be more co-op focused game and is currently being reworked. Rumors and job offers suggested it might be something closer to Monster Hunter than From Software games

What also throws me off with this post is mentioning that aim to popularise the game in markets where Witcher brand is already popular. Witcher 3 had over one million copies sold in Japan and was claimed to be one of the bestselling western rpgs there

Last edited:
Top Bottom