• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: THQ Cancels Their 2014 Line-Up & MMO, Looking For Buyers [Up: THQ Responds]

ElRenoRaven

I remember seeing a resume pointing to Wideload making another game, the person who worked on GP did quite a bit of work on the animation IIRC, and is doing so again, so it could be another console game. This was a few months ago so my memory of the finding is a tad fuzzy.

And it was founded by not just any Bungie person, but the co-founder Alex Seropian.

And Avalanche actually greatly expanded due to merging with Fall Line, obviously helped alot resource-wise, the FL team is probably the ones behind the Wii and PC versions of TS3 and Cars 2.

Fixed a couple of things for you. Alex didn't create Halo. Also he didn't found, he co-founded Bungie with Jason Jones.

*high fives*

I too don't want to see the Homefront series die.

Looking at the esitmated release it probably is cancled. But it is developed externally from THQ (bar them publishing it) by Crytec. Maybe they will buy the IP? ha.

press x to hide under pile of dead Homefronts.

ElRenoRaven

I thought he was always credited with that title (Halo creator)? Or is that a common misconception?

Common misconception. Halo started as another RTS they were working on. Eventually it evolved to be a third person shooter called Halo and then went on to be the Halo we know. Nobody there has ever said specifically who "Created" Halo if you will. The way it's talked about, it was a very collaborative effort.

Hey You

We don't need less Third Party publishers, we need more in the industry.

Hmm, this actually puts me off from buying SR3 now because I want to see how/if this affects the DLC plans for that; I don't want to get the Season Pass or whatever and get burned.

Well it sounds like they are staying afloat it till atleast end of next year. I wager most of, if not all of the DLC for Saints Row the Third will be released by then.

The next Mission pack is coming out next week I believe. Totally worth picking up but I would probably wait on the season pass as well.

TxdoHawk

If this is actually true, Saints Row 4 better not disappear into the void. 3 was probably my favorite game of 2011, and easily top 3 if not.

trinest

Companies usually don't comment on rumors no matter if they're true or not.

True, but if its spreading like wildfire and is one as serious as this (which if fake is pretty damanging to the company) wouldn't that at least mention it?

Companies usually don't comment on rumors no matter if they're true or not.

When the head of the International Game Developers Association says your company is effectively dead, that warrants more of a response than "we do not comment on rumor and speculation".

Corto

True, but if its spreading like wildfire and is one as serious as this (which if fake is pretty damanging to the company) wouldn't that at least mention it?

Exactly. At this point a non-comment is just as much confirmation as we can expect. I would think that denying this rumor and then find that it was indeed true might fall in some kind of fiduciary duty breach on THQ part over their stockholders or partners.

duckroll

I don't know about that... I'm guessing Patrice made a lot of money with the move, and his studio will probably be one of the first to be picked up.

He didn't make the move because he wanted money. He made the move because he thought that THQ would be a stable long term employer who would also give him creative freedom to work on new things. Now... that might no longer be the case.

Tiktaalik

I can definitely imagine ATVI being interested in the Saints Row franchise. They have shown recent interest in getting into the open world genre (True Crime:HK) and Saints Row has the bonus of being an established title.

How similar is this situation to Eidos shopping themselves around in the mid 00s? I recall that Eidos was in a similar situation of having a lot of great IPs and studios but not having the funds to continue on. The SE buyout was a life saver and now Eidos is putting out really great product. I'm not sure if this could be replicated though. I don't think there are any other Japanese publishers that would buy THQ whole and operate it as their western division.

duckroll

I can definitely imagine ATVI being interested in the Saints Row franchise. They have shown recent interest in getting into the open world genre (True Crime:HK) and Saints Row has the bonus of being an established title.

How similar is this situation to Eidos shopping themselves around in the mid 00s? I recall that Eidos was in a similar situation of having a lot of great IPs and studios but not having the funds to continue on. The SE buyout was a life saver and now Eidos is putting out really great product. I'm not sure if this could be replicated though. I don't think there are any other Japanese publishers that would buy THQ whole and operate it as their western division.

Konami might want to consider. They are in a dire need for viable IPs, both their Japanese and American publishing records have been total shit in the last fewyears, and they basically have a terrible road ahead in terms of having anything that people really want.

Tiktaalik

Konami might want to consider. They are in a dire need for viable IPs, both their Japanese and American publishing records have been total shit in the last fewyears, and they basically have a terrible road ahead in terms of having anything that people really want.

Oh yeah Konami would be good. They didn't occur to me at all when I was listing off Japanese publishers in my head (bandai/capcom/koei..). I probably forgot about them because they've been so quiet recently :\

trinest

Oh yeah Konami would be good. They didn't occur to me at all when I was listing off Japanese publishers in my head (bandai/capcom/koei..). I probably forgot about them because they've been so quiet recently :\

Quite? They bought Hudson last year or the year before.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

I think that's why Konami is having issues. They're hesitant about buying new teams. Warner's making the biggest power plays, so Volition will go to either Warner or EA, I'm sure. I doubt it'll be Activision because Activision is in the business of what's big, and that's why True Crime got cancelled. Activision would rather spend that money on more COD games.

And to people saying we'll get good WWE games now, nah son. WWE is closer to Yukes than they are to THQ. They'll just find a new publisher.

Aw I actually like THQ. Darksiders II, Devil's Third, Insane were all games I was looking forward to. And I'll probably pick up Saint's Row The Third eventually too.

I hope they don't go under.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I've said it time and again, THQ's ultimate downfall will be their marketing department. They have some solid studios that make great games, but THQ never had a clue how to effectively market them to drive sales.

Just realised I don't own one single THQ game. Everything they put out looked second rate or the poor man's version of a better game.

LOCK

This is horrible news. I don't really want anybody to buy them but rather pull through.

I would like to see Nintendo buy these guys but they are so different.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Just realised I don't own one single THQ game. Everything they put out looked second rate or the poor man's version of a better game.

You should buy WWE All Stars. Best party fighter out there. Yeah, I went there.

And I enjoyed Darksiders more than Skyward Sword and Space Marine more than Gears, but I've definitely seen the vibe that THQ always looked like a 'me too' company from the outside

Patrice is fucked. He had everything any Ubi Montreal yet he had to move. Oh well...

He got in to a very public argument with Yves Guillemot about Assassin's Creed 2012. He didn't really have "everything," he clearly was not happy with the way his career was going there.

He bet on THQ and lost. Sucks, but they looked a lot healthier then than now.

I would like to see Nintendo buy these guys but they are so different.

This just doesn't make sense to me. In dreams I can see them grabbing some or all of Vigil to assist on Zelda or something, but I doubt even that could happen due to how conservative Nintendo tends to be. The entirety of THC though? Most of their catalog suits Nintendo about as well as oil suits water.

If Nintendo is considering anyone for a purchase it'd probably be Next Level Games or Monster or the like, longtime partners with a proven record of collaboration.

How well did DE Revolution did? Eidos' main IP is still Tomb Raider, it's a cashcow for sure but it's still not a AAA quality franchise. It's a little early to paint the Eidos acquisition as some sort of super shrewd move. MS buying Bungie and T2 buying R* North were super shrewd moves.

duckroll

If THQ is shutting down all 2014 projects, it means that probably everything at THQ's new Montreal studio will be shutting down. If that's the case, I don't see how they can afford to keep paying everyone while waiting for a buyer. So... maybe they'll just shut the entire studio down and everyone will end up finding jobs around the area, like in Ubisoft and Eidos. Lol?

XPE

I don’t see Nintendo buying any of these guys, but IF they were to buy any one it would be Volition, they would be good at making some half decent TPS one of the few areas Nintendo are lacking in, they don’t need Vigil as they all ready have the Zelda team.

Top Bottom