• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Uncharted 4: eye of atlantis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caayn

Uncharted 4? Old news. This is the real megaton.

O4p64W8.jpg
Oh lord.

Now announing the season pass for Uncharted 4, containing the DLC packs Nacho Cheese, Toasted Corn and the fan favorite Cool Ranch. Pre-order now!

Let's look at it this way: if Sony had kept hold of the rights to Crash, somehow, you just know there'd be Crash games still being made up to this very day. Probably at least one of those would have been a Naughty Dog game. Jak got ditched because it was a shitty franchise (and even then it got a fourth game this gen). Uncharted will return. And with a 2-team Naughty Dog, I bet it'll return under their roof.

Lol at huge corporations making decisions based on "tradition". What the hell is wrong with you people?

Jak got ditched because it was a shitty franchise"]Jak got ditched because it was a shitty franchise

They said they wanted to ditch the cartoony games and do something more realistic because the hardware allowed them to render realistic humans and environments convincingly. It was also a way to challenge themselves and avoid being pidgeonholed into the cartoony platformer genre which was obviously the right thing to do in hindsight.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Undisputable facts right there.

That's a rather simplistic view, though. Crash largely defined the PlayStation but it wasn't a Sony-owned IP and Jak & Daxter couldn't quite fill those boots vis-a-vis the PS2. Looking to ND's past and saying with absolute confidence that Uncharted will adhere to history is simply being wilfully ignorant of just how important the franchise has been to the PS3's momentum.

Lyonaz

Come on guys, Uncharted 4 will be starring a little girl, Elena and Nate's daughter. Uncle Sully will be back, hell it's all the supporting characters on a vacation in the Bermudda Triangle. Less shooting and more exploring with bow and arrow.

I stand by my statement. Firstly because ND always moves on to new things with a new generation. Secondly because I don't think a new Uncharted would be that attention grabbing. I think either a new IP from ND or a TLOU sequel would be bigger for Sony than doing another by the numbers sequel.

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong and I'm certainly not saying this is fact, but I honestly don't expect another UC on PS4. ND tend to know when enough is enough for their franchises.

Your statement is wrong. Bookmark this.

There will be a TLoU 2. They have two teams. ND did go from Crash to Jack between gens because they didn't own the rights to Crash. They were still a small team then. As they grew making Jak 2 and Jak 3 they decided they wanted to move into something with a more serious but still fun story. So they made Uncharted. Uncharted is Hennig's creation, and she is still a creative force there. She isn't giving it up and neither is ND. There were reasons why they changed IPs between gens before this... there isn't a reason to now. Especially considering that they already did make a new IP as well. That's the entire point of the two team setup.

I guess we should be thankful that they are using a two team setup to make different games instead of yearly uncharted's. Because you know if Ubisoft was the publisher that's what we would get...

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Lol at huge corporations making decisions based on "tradition". What the hell is wrong with you people?

It's not about tradition. It's about a company generally knowing when enough is enough and knowing something new is far more attention grabbing than another by the numbers sequel to a franchise that doesn't really have anywhere to go.

That's a rather simplistic view, though. Crash largely defined the PlayStation but it wasn't a Sony-owned IP and Jak & Daxter couldn't quite fill those boots vis-a-vis the PS2. Looking to ND's past and saying with absolute confidence that Uncharted will adhere to history is simply being wilfully ignorant of just how important the franchise is to the PlayStation's momentum.

I was being sarcastic, like I just said that obviously doesn't mean shit.

It's not about tradition. It's about a company generally knowing when enough is enough and knowing something new is far more attention grabbing than another by the numbers sequel to a franchise that doesn't really have anywhere to go.

Says who?

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
The best thing would be to put one team (Druckmann and Straley) on new IPs and the other should cycle between Uncharted and TLoU, or keep making Uncharted games.

Game Informer were hinting at another Uncharted from Naughty Dog.

No, they weren't. In the comment section the author said he was hinting at what he wanted.

The best thing would be to put one team (Druckmann and Straley) on new IPs and the other should cycle between Uncharted and TLoU, or keep making Uncharted games.

Why wouldn't Amy Hennig get to make her own new IP? She's still the biggest name at ND.

Jarmel

Banned
If there is a 4th, I really do want it to be Atlantis though.

The water levels and set pieces would be fucking amazing.

The problem is that you think they're going to make a by the numbers sequel. What indication is there that they'll do that? At the very least they're going to have three years to work on Uncharted 4 if that's what they're working on. That's longer than they had with Uncharted 2 or 3. And with them using their existing engine that'll make the console transition smoother for them which should make it easier to implement big changes to the franchise even early on in the generation.

Verendus

Banned
I expect both Uncharted and a new IP from ND in the next generation:

If Uncharted showed something, it's that they're very talented and can create a successful franchise. If TLOU showed anything, it's that if they have the passion for something, they can produce something incredible and be extremely successful with even a new IP.

When they're producing hit after hit, if they have a passion project, they'll be allowed it. They have earned that trust by making their name synonymous with quality amongst gaming fans. I fully expect a return to previous hits, some surprises, and also a venture into new directions.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Also the Plato quote is paraphrased and seems to be more based upon the line from Disney's Atlantis film, rather than his actual dialogue lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
looks more like a vita game.

Well, that's one to kill your series in one blow get people to buy a dead system: Make the next numbered title a portable title.

BadWolf

Always liked Atlantis related stuff so would be cool with this.

Also the Plato quote is paraphrased and seems to be more based upon the line from Disney's Atlantis film, rather than his actual dialogue lol

First thing that came to my mind as well haha.

RoKKeR

Your statement is wrong. Bookmark this.

There will be a TLoU 2. They have two teams. ND did go from Crash to Jack between gens because they didn't own the rights to Crash. They were still a small team then. As they grew making Jak 2 and Jak 3 they decided they wanted to move into something with a more serious but still fun story. So they made Uncharted. Uncharted is Hennig's creation, and she is still a creative force there. She isn't giving it up and neither is ND. There were reasons why they changed IPs between gens before this... there isn't a reason to now. Especially considering that they already did make a new IP as well. That's the entire point of the two team setup.

I guess we should be thankful that they are using a two team setup to make different games instead of yearly uncharted's. Because you know if Ubisoft was the publisher that's what we would get...
No surprises here. I'm nervous about TLoU 2 because the first game as a single statement was perfect.

But knowing ND I'm sure they will do something we don't see coming and it will be equally great.

Opiate

Ugh, not Atlantis. The last thing I want is another round of "Atlantis: is it real?" media as part of the marketing promotion of a major product launch like this one.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
ND stop making Uncharted?

Christ we need the laughing smiley back.

No surprises here. I'm nervous about TLoU 2 because the first game as a single statement was perfect.

But knowing ND I'm sure they will do something we don't see coming and it will be equally great.

Neil has said that once they're all back from vacation they'll start trying to come up with ideas for the sequel and if they can't at the time then they'll move on to something else. So they aren't going to force it.

I don't get everyone saying that they want to see a new IP when we literally got a new IP out of them one month ago.

That's your new IP! It already exists!

Always from different angles. Truly the most clandestine of secret footage snappers is the one that leaves their seat and takes a picture of a projector screen from various points of the room.

It's like MGS2. Need one picture from the front! Need one picture from the side!! Need one picture from the other side!!!

casmith07

If there is a 4th, I really do want it to be Atlantis though.

The water levels and set pieces would be fucking amazing.

What's a good way to show off the power of your new console?

Have your flagship developer create a game with insane water physics and visuals.

They absolutely should make a new IP.

It could be bigger and better than a Uncharted 4 could ever be, seriously.

I don't think you can get anything more out of the Uncharted franchise at this point. Uncharted 2 was the zenith in terms of critical acclaim and U3 represents the maximum sales level for the game.

sappyday

I hope they don't make a new one. Not that I hate the series, shit I was apparently one of the few that enjoyed U3, but after U3 the formula will never be seen the same way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom