• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: "Untitled Spiderman PS4 Project" incoming

N.Domixis

Banned
So that's the mystery Activision exclusive.

Agent confirmed.

If this is the exclusive Activison game then...

vader.jpg

FelipeMGM

They may share similarities on a bunch of front, but due to Groot's stature it would be hard to implement in a video game and make it fun as he is not exactly the typical game character. Although, Rocket would easily fit in the Ratchet and Clank mold gameplay-wise.

That is true, but Im sure they can come with something up. He doesnt have to be that much bigger than Rocky in the game, they can use something like the Disney Infinity scale

If this is the exclusive Activison game then...

vader.jpg

Its the Activision exclusive, because Sony bought Crash back ;)
Im crying badly if we dont see a Crash comeback this year

I mean serviceable as in it's just pushing the punch button and it works. Nothing spectacular/of note but not bad. Spidey doesn't need a ton of combos; give him a combo string with maybe a couple of finishers, everything else is based on web. Slingshots, grabbing, tying enemies together, blinding, stringing them upside down, sticking them to walls

Yeah I agree he doesn't need Bayonetta levels of combos. By mobility I meant utilizing environments and webbing AMID basic melee strings, but maybe that would need some TPS mechanics in order to aim where you want to go and web up specific enemies. I mean it's Sucker Punch, a good power moveset isn't much a worry.

I just want them to go all out. :p

reKon

Banned
we pretty much have a Spiderman game (someone should post Uncharted 4 gifs - especially the Africa gameplay where he swing ropes out from the moving car)

F4r0_Atak

That is true, but Im sure they can come with something up. He doesnt have to be that much bigger than Rocky in the game, they can use something like the Disney Infinity scale

Its the Activision exclusive, because Sony bought Crash back ;)
Im crying badly if we dont see a Crash comeback this year

It works because of the level design and the overall art direction, but if people really wish for SP to be the one working the new Spider-man, it's gonna be hard. As we already know that SP wants to push the visual fidelity with their next game further than what they did with ISS and First Light.

I just don't have any confidence on the pedigree of Activision developers to do the series justice and bring it back to the quality displayed in Spiderman 2 back then. They haven't recaptured that magic.

If it's a sony exclusive hopefully it means they made a deal with Activision to have one of the sony developers, like suckerpunch, do it and they bought the rights to make the game.

FATALITY

Banned
Yeah I agree he doesn't need Bayonetta levels of combos. By mobility I meant utilizing environments and webbing AMID basic melee strings, but maybe that would need some TPS mechanics in order to aim where you want to go and web up specific enemies. I mean it's Sucker Punch, a good power moveset isn't much a worry.

I just want them to go all out. :p

also sucker punch create a hero from the ground up, which is harder.
spiderman is already an established franchise. so they just have to improve whats already there.

FelipeMGM

They already said they were after release "First Light". It is also said that they are working on a new IP. It's been almost two years, so we might get an announcement this E3 or at worst, a teaser trailer (with a full reveal at PSX).

Do you have a link for this one? I dont think this is right or I have really bad memory, which is prob the case

Pavaloo

Just please. For the love of god give the project proper development time.

They finally got back to phsyics based swinging in ASM2, but you can tell they didn't have time to go beyond that. No momentum stuff, awful combat, and empty ass world design.

The thing is, give Spidey the arkham combat treatment with enough animation flourishes it would be absolutely perfect. They almost had that basic system down in ASM2 as well, but you could tell they had no time to actually polish it.

So close to the full package, the only thing that's ever stopped them was time.

I just don't have any confidence on the pedigree of Activision developers to do the series justice and bring it back to the quality displayed in Spiderman 2 back then. They haven't recaptured that magic.

If it's a sony exclusive hopefully it means they made a deal with Activision to have one of the sony developers, like suckerpunch, do it and they bought the rights to make the game.

Agreed. Their Spider-Man games have been trash to OK. Even Spider-Man 2 wasn't that great as a whole. The swinging mechanics and the open world were the best part of the game. The actual game, not so much.

silva1991

No, Platinum is already busy enough. I'm tired of low budget super hero games.

Yup, not to mention most of their games has similar combat now with the exception odf Scalboud which is expected considering they are working on countless titles.

I consider Platinum one of my 3 favorite devs ever, but I don't want more games made by them for a while.

Man. A Spider-Man game by Sucker Punch would be so perfect. InFamous 2 got real close to the feeling of web-swinging with some of the later traversal abilities (haven't played Second Son so I can't comment on that). Spider-Man deserves an amazing game and I can't think of a better studio to give it to him.

I'll try not to get myself too excited about this prospect, but it feels so right and it's pretty damn plausible.

TimFL

Just please. For the love of god give the project proper development time.

They finally got back to phsyics based swinging in ASM2, but you can tell they didn't have time to go beyond that. No momentum stuff, awful combat, and empty ass world design.

The thing is, give Spidey the arkham combat treatment with enough animation flourishes it would be absolutely perfect. They almost had that basic system down in ASM2 as well, but you could tell they had no time to actually polish it.

So close to the full package, the only thing that's ever stopped them was time.

TASM2 had the same fake swinging just like TASM1. Only thing that changed was the anchor point being "somewhere near" structures (the webs still went through buildings or to the clouds) and no auto-eject.
I want them to go ALL OUT: realistic physical properties for weblines (they can stretch and bend when they come in contact with structures like traffic lights or building corners) and Spider-Man himself.

Oh and having the game also focus on Peter Parker would be really cool (I don't see why they can't allow us to switch to Peter and walk around with limited traversal options, take pictures etc). If it's a movie tie-in we might get that due to the 2017 movie also focusing on the high school drama.

Pavaloo

TASM2 had the same fake swinging just like TASM1. Only thing that changed was the anchor point being "somewhere near" structures (the webs still went through buildings or to the clouds) and no auto-eject.
I want them to go ALL OUT: realistic physical properties for weblines (they can stretch and bend when they come in contact with structures like traffic lights or building corners) and Spider-Man himself.

Right, but even going that far was leaps and bounds of the Spider-Man properties post SM2 (maybe web of shadows). You're right though I want them to go all out (i loved my webs getting caught on street lights or flagpoles in SM2) and the only way they can do so is with more than a year of development time.

F4r0_Atak

Do you have a link for this one? I dont think this is right or I have really bad memory, which is prob the case

I am still looking for it. I think it was hinted in an interview that they were taking a break from InFamous and that their new game was pushing the visual fidelity more than what they did with ISS or First Light. I will edit this post if I find the interview (I think it was with Shuhei Yoshida).

Transformer's: Devastation was a pleasant surprise. I'm afraid though towards the end the synthesis was overrated and it was more about "getting good" with dodges and timing. At least for me. Once I mastered the dodge/freeze/chain combo mechanic it was a wrap.

I am a bit worried with the amount they have on their table that some games like Ninja Turtles may end up being too similar in style. I know they have their signature but something fresh is always good as well.

Devastation wasn't good because it was a Transformers game. It was good because it was another Platinum Games game. I want a real Spiderman game. Not a character action game with spiderman in it.

Devastation wasn't good because it was a Transformers game. It was good because it was another Platinum Games game. I want a real Spiderman game. Not a character action game with spiderman in it.

This. I don't want a reskinned Platinum game for Spider-Man, Transformers, Avatar, or TMNT. I don't understand why people want them to turn huge properties that should have huge adventure games into low-budget character-action games.

Megatron

Maybe Sony got spiderman along with crash in the negotiations with Activision!

Or maybe people go too crazy with rumors.

TimFL

... You're right though I want them to go all out (i loved my webs getting caught on street lights or flagpoles in SM2) and the only way they can do so is with more than a year of development time.

Well you can easily throw together a swinging simulator that has webs with physical properties within a few minutes in Unity or UE4 (I believe there is even a tutorial for Unity by the guy that came up with the SM2 Movie swinging mechanic somewhere). But I get what you mean. It takes time to narrow down and fine tune gameplay mechanics... time Beenox obviously didn't have (that and the huge budget cut from the first TASM installment).

I should probably leave this topic because I am already trying to buy a first class ticket for the hype train that's about to depart with full force. Doesn't help that I'll see the new Cap movie next wednesday (which will, without a doubt, make me want a proper Spidey game even more).

Please be real. Please be good. Please open the flood gates to more Marvel console games.

Marvel has made it clear on multiple occasions (and as recently as last year) that they have AAA game projects in the works. They are just being super selective about it because they don't want to seem like they are just churning out trash for a quick buck.

This. I don't want a reskinned Platinum game for Spider-Man, Transformers, Avatar, or TMNT. I don't understand why people want them to turn huge properties that should have huge adventure games into low-budget character-action games.

It's through a belief that Platinum would actually try to craft an adventure, open world title if given a good sized budget and a sensible development time. You said it yourself those are low budget titles, but an exclusive Sony title with a n ultrapopular multimedia IP paints some hope that such a game can have a much bigger budget. We've seen how varied Platinum can be with a budget worth a damn. Third Person shooter, multiplayer brawler, action RPG both linear and open world that are soon to come out. They just released a collaboration effort with Nintendo on a rail shooter. Even their straight up action games varies vastly in their combat with a good budget between MGR, Bayonetta, and W101.

I'm warming up to idea of SuckerPunch being ideal because I like their previous efforts, but it's not that alien on why people would like Platinum to do it and don't believe it'll be another reskin.

Lol VR

It's a tie-in Spiderman 2017 game guys. Like they've had for every Spider-Man movie so far. As dedicated AAA superhero games died, they've remained. Hopefully they boot Beenox into a vault at the bottom of the ocean and hire a decent dev this time.

Marvel has made it clear on multiple occasions (and as recently as last year) that they have AAA game projects in the works. They are just being super selective about it because they don't want to seem like they are just churning out trash for a quick buck.

I need a Winter Soldier era MCU Cap game where he's running covert missions for SHIELD in that GOAT Stealth Suit. Was listening to the Henry Jackman score earlier and realising how perfect it would be.

Toki767

When was the last Marvel console game?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Praying to cthulhu that Sucker Punch isn't wasting any of their talent on this lame ass Spiderman bullshit.

TimFL

When was the last Marvel console game?

I think that was Iron Man 2.

It's no secret though that they have new AAA games in development. Some Marvel Games head confirmed it and said that we should expect more news in a year. That was roughly a year ago so I guess E3 2016.

Top Bottom