• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retro said:
Totally talking out my ass here, but maybe the "Main Feature" combines the Television Screen, Controller Screen and the Front-facing camera for an Augmented Reality-type experience.

SHAMELESSLY Borrowing Graphics Horse's awesome mockup
http://i.imgur.com/8WrPK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jv2JC.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dVoK7.jpg

Just a thought. Depending on how long Nintendo has been cooking this up, there could be a hundred different ways to use it. But a Screen PLUS Foward-facing camera, I think, is kind of hinting towards you pointing the controller at things.
I think some of you guys are thinking way to straight forward with the camera use, nothing wrong with that by the way. But i do thing that you are paying way too much enphasis on Augmented Reality gaming. I think the camera in the touch pad might be used to track finger positions across the screen surface when fingers are close or touching it.

phisheep said:
Individual screens per controller make that better - or at least spread the potential across more genres and provide the possibility of treating local multiplayers on a par with online players. Trouble with split screen is you can see what the other guy is doing, at least locally. A screen on the controller lets you keep things secret from other players - whether a Scrabble hand, a weapon, a view of a room that only you have seen. All of a sudden local multi D&D is possible. And you guys think it is only useful for single player inventory? Get real.
The thing with that idea is that a 6`` screen per controller doesnt seem too practical regarding cost or durability issues, hell even for supply reasons. Plus the idea to use it to conceal information from other players has been thrown around since the N64 days. Its an sort of old idea.

This thread will see me safely through the night while I furiously beat out the last words of my coursework.

Godspeed Gaf, and all that sail within her.

MisterHero

EmCeeGramr said:
Seriously.

GTAV a Nintendo launch title game.

Really guys.
I wouldn't put it past Reggie to talk with Rockstar about making a GTA for Wii 2 (not launch, but just a multiplatform release).

Obviously they declined when he asked them about Wii, but then they went and made Chinatown Wars for DS.

Let's see if a modestly-powered, next-gen system with a year headstart can get a console commitment from them before Sony and MS can triple the Wii2 in power

Kaizer

Banned
apana said:
Noticing how fast the thread was moving just now, when we actually get a picture it's gonna be like a 100 posts per second.
Oh god, the servers will break.

And this GTAV rumor is even more ridiculousness, E3 is surely to be exciting this year between whatever Nintendo is doing with this, Sony's NGP and what's next for Microsoft.

wsippel

Banned
Pack it up guys, it's all over - FHM hates it (also, SMG didn't actually happen, it was all just our imagination):

Have you heard? Nintendo are going to release a new console next year. Well, that’s what the rumours say, anyway. Apparently the unconfirmed codename is “Project Cafe,” a name which has obviously been chosen to bore anyone who sticks their nose in so they lose interest.

Now, despite the motion controls – which don’t really work unless you jam a motion plus in on the end of your controller, and even then they’re outperformed by the PS3 Move – the Nintendo Wii is a shoddy excuse for a console. It’s like a proof of concept that somehow managed to sell eleventy billion units.

Five years after release, we’re still waiting for a decent title to come out for it. The graphical limitations mean that most of the games look as though they’re made out of old bits of napkin sort of moulded into shape – and that’s when they are games.
http://www.fhm.com/upgrade/entertai...M Monday Newsletter 18-04-11 (1)&utm_content=

Based off of known info I havent pictured it at all like what has been mocked up thus far. Of from what I have seen.

Im going to make a mockup when I get home.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Yeah... I'm happy to say that my free time tomorrow will be spent with Portal 2 instead of this rollercoaster of a thread.

Eteric Rice

You know what would be interesting? If the 6" screen isn't for games, or the controller, but to sit on the coffee table.

You could conference with other groups of people. Imagine a Halo scenario. You have 3 friends to play Halo with you, and a friend of yours has 3 on his own N6. Group vs. Group, each group in a different location.

It would let you see yourself owning people, while also letting them see you get owned. Would let you play with up to like 8 people, each 4 playing against the others.

Could take multi player to a different level, tbh. It's also social.

totowhoa

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
Yeah... I'm happy to say that my free time tomorrow will be spent with Portal 2 instead of this rollercoaster of a thread.

Aw shit I forgot today was the 18th! Thinking it was two more days away. Why do I have to write a paper tomorrow :( :( :( :(

Maybe I'll push through most of it tonight and stay up a little late.

antonz

Utako said:
We need a Wii2 mock-up thread. I want to bathe in the MS Paint speculation!
Hard to even imagine what direction Nintendo will go. Only thing is can probably expect it to be similar in size to the 360 Slim

apana

Eteric Rice said:
You know what would be interesting? If the 6" screen isn't for games, or the controller, but to sit on the coffee table.

You could conference with other groups of people. Imagine a Halo scenario. You have 3 friends to play Halo with you, and a friend of yours has 3 on his own N6. Group vs. Group, each group in a different location.

It would let you see yourself owning people, while also letting them see you get owned. Would let you play with up to like 8 people, each 4 playing against the others.

Could take multi player to a different level, tbh. It's also social.

You could talk with holographic Yoda while playing Mario Kart:

10zwnko.jpg

Woffls

Eteric Rice said:
People would turn it off to preserve bandwidth, though. I think video chat will definitely be there somewhere, but Nintendo will likely just push it as an extra 'Channel' or something rather than encourage developers to implement it in games.

The social implementations will be for things like playing Pokémon Stadium on the big screen, and having your deck and moves viewable on the tablet. I think social implementations will be what Nintendo want people to think about the most, but in game stuff like inventory management will probably get more traction in the press because nobody plays local MP any more. (Exaggeration)

Majine said:
Kinda irrelevant since we don't know the main feature yet, which could change everything.
That's the whole point! So we can go back and laugh/gloat at failed/accurate predictions.

Zeal

Banned
Door2Dawn said:
on par with 360 is some bullshit tho. damn nintnedo

i wouldn't put much faith in this. they still say the ps3 is more powerful than the 360 (and technically, on paper, it is) but the 360 still graphically outperforms the ps3 in practicality. it still takes an exceptional developer to get the ps3 to perform the way it should.

project cafe's architecture also seems much more practical in a real world setting, just like the 360's. i expect the games to look beast and it will probably be much easier to develop for.

Big One

Banned
Zeal said:
i wouldn't put much faith in this. they still say the ps3 is more powerful than the 360 (and technically, on paper, it is) but the 360 still graphically outperforms it in all practicality.
Examples? I've never seen anything in my life to convince me of this. That's just bullshit, the PS3 games tend to look better than the 360 games from what I've seen.

antonz

It bears repeating 01net is now saying Similar architecture to the 360. That really doesnt mean anything for power. Nintendo Could use a Tri Core PPC CPU that is twice as fast as but similar architecture.

Zeal

Banned
Big One said:
Examples? I've never seen anything in my life to convince me of this. That's just bullshit, the PS3 games tend to look better than the 360 games from what I've seen.

besides the fact that almost every single multiplatform game ends up looking better on the 360.

Log4Girlz

antonz said:
It bears repeating 01net is now saying Similar architecture to the 360. That really doesnt mean anything for power. Nintendo Could use a Tri Core PPC CPU that is twice as fast as but similar architecture.

It could mean anything lol. I'm hoping it means programmable shaders, triple core CPU and unified memory...all on steroids.

Medalion

Banned
Of course in a Nintendo thread, there are still xbox fans battling Ps3 fans :lol bu bu bu this Nintendo system is better than your system...not mine

Log4Girlz said:
It could mean anything lol. I'm hoping it means programmable shaders, triple core CPU and unified memory...all on steroids.

Programmable shaders and multicores is pretty much given, even without these rumors.

antonz

Log4Girlz said:
Programmable shaders I think have to happen unless Nintendo somehow abandons ATI and finds some crazy Japanese company again which is not likely.

antonz said:
Latest Actually linkable News:
Rockstar was among the first Devs to get Wii2 Devkits
Rockstar Title is expected to launch in the launch window of the Wii2 on it and the others
GTAV is rumored to be that title.
June 2012 is Console Launch
At E3 expect tech demos, Videos of games etc

Gamekyo says System significantly more powerful than current machines

I spend 3 pages to see this. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom