• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii 2 at E3; 6" Touch Controller [Up: Cafe Header On Nintendo Site, More]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they finally develop a profile based online system rather than tying purchases to a specific console. They have to do that this time, right? Right?

StuBurns

Banned
-Pyromaniac- said:
Word...I think that's their plan. As long as it's in the same vicinity as PS4/nextbox I'm thinking they are banking on easily downscaled versions of games.
Yeah, I think that'd be very cool.

_dementia said:
1080p, 60fps is all I want
A PC is all you need

schuelma said:
I think the long lead time in announcing the console (as opposed to the Wii or even the 3DS) is an attempt to get Western studios on board.

They won't ever attract western third-parties to make exclusives for this system and multiplatform games will be pointless at this point. The only option is directly funding western studios and I don't see them doing it, I think this is a bad move and situation.

Anth0ny

If they fuckin release Skyward Sword on Wii 2 SO HELP ME GOD

If anything, release it for Wii this year, and make it 1080p compatible with Wii 2 or some shit. DON'T DELAY IT YOU FUCKS, my heart already took a beating during the whole Twilight Princess fiasco.

thefro

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
I seriously wonder how Nintendo will focus on the western gamer with a total of one major development studio in America and Europe. It's not third-parties will ever develop exclusives for this system either.

Money%20Hat%20-%20B.jpg

Seriously, the new model as we see in Japan is they outsource stuff to a billion different B-grade studios.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
They won't ever attract western third-parties to make exclusives for this system and multiplatform games will be pointless at this point. The only option is directly funding western studios and I don't see them doing it, I think this is a bad move and situation.

Why not?

Curufinwe

yoopoo said:
Finally...you know what this means. In late 2012 360 and PS3 will be known as 'current gen' consoles...unlike now as they are still called 'next gen'.

Most people don't do that anymore.

Need to see the spec it's so easy to be more powerful than ps3 right now.
Don't have much hope if people are not saying flat out it's more powerful buy 2 or 3 times.
For all we know more power could 1gb of ram and little better gpu.

Anth0ny said:
If they fuckin release Skyward Sword on Wii 2 SO HELP ME GOD

If anything, release it for Wii this year, and make it 1080p compatible with Wii 2 or some shit. DON'T DELAY IT YOU FUCKS, my heart already took a beating during the whole Twilight Princess fiasco.

Doubt it. The Wii was so underpowered comparatively that they needed a system seller (or so they thought) to hold off 360 and PS3. A converted Wii game ain't gonna fly for this one.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
If Nintendo's next console isn't considerably more powerful than the 360/PS3, what's the point?

If it's only marginally more powerful, by the time the next Sony and Microsoft consoles are released Nintendo will be in the same exact position.

I wonder what people will say when they say they don't want to play games on this system

Now it's "it looks like shit on my TV". I am guessing "it's not native 1080p, am I seriously expected to play this" in two years.

StuBurns

Banned
MrOogieBoogie said:
If Nintendo's next console isn't considerably more powerful than the 360/PS3, what's the point?

If it's only marginally more powerful, by the time the next Sony and Microsoft consoles are released Nintendo will be in the same exact position.
First by a country mile?

XAL

gundamkyoukai said:
If this system has the same power as Xbox360\PS3 and coming out in 2012 Nintendo is going to run into the same trouble again .
By the time PS4 and Xbox720 come out it's going to be very under power , do people really understand how old the tech in PS3\Xbox360 is right now.
Nintendo needs to go above them it don't have to be huge but it should be better than PS4\Xbox360 in every way.

The last time Nintendo was ahead in terms of tech for home consoles was the N64.
The Gamecube and especially the Wii have been very profitable for them.
They don't need to be on the same level technologically as Microsoft and Sony because the real power behind their money making are their classic IPs, lower manufacturing costs than their competitors' products, and their strong hold on portable gaming.

Looking at this one way, this could be a calculated move to basically take advantage of the fact that Sony and MS expressed they want to stay on this cycle for another 3 years or so. Nintendo is already making tons of money with the Wii, but now that those sales have evened out they release a newer more competitive product - which I'm sure a ton of people will buy as long as there's a Mario title at launch.

Maybe the Wii was a way to earn massive amounts of money to build a competitive console for the remaining years of this gen, benefiting from the decreased manufacturing costs that their competitors only recently benefited from (last couple of years).

Maybe they know that we don't need to see Mario's pours sweat as he smashes blocks with his head and ass. Except for say Metroid, F-Zero, LoZ and the like, a huge technological leap wouldn't do a lot from a style perspective for a fair amount of their titles. Maybe staying just a little behind technologically is smarter for Nintendo, whereas Microsoft and Sony can't do the same things because their IPs are more hardware intensive....

If so, that's petty smart. But I still want a ridiculously good looking Legend of Zelda game (ala Uncharted fidelity) and a Mario64esque game that I can play online with friends (think SM64, but with ridiculous graphics and cooperative lulz).

Majanew

Banned
Can't wait to hear about the specs.

I expect Microsoft and maybe Sony to show their next system E3 2012 for release late 2013.

WillyFive

Arnie said:
Not owned a Nintendo console since the N64, but this could get me to purchase if it's more powerful than current gen consoles and has a stable online network. This being Nintendo though that's probably not going to happen.

One generation.

That's it.

One generation of them not competing with their competitors in graphics.

That means now that's how Nintendo has always and always will roll?

Anyway, I for one am not excited for any new console just yet.

schuelma said:

They don't seem into funding western studios at all, but maybe that will change. Third-parties won't ever make games for 3DS so I don't see why they'd make games other than ports for a new console with likely huge dev costs without tons of $$$ from Nintendo.

Woffls

Anth0ny said:
If Nintendo 6 (Yes, I'm calling it that) just upscales to 720p/1080p, can we actually expect Wind Waker to look like this? I'm not sure what other post-processing Dolphin applies to emulation to get those results.

CHOO CHOO BITCHES!

If this is true, I hope Nintendo doesn't go pants-on-head-retarded with online like Sony and Microsoft did this generation. Its one of the reasons why I can't stand the PS3 and 360, and why the Wii is my favorite console this generation.

First off, fuck achievements and trophies. There is nothing more distracting and immersion killing in a game than having the sound on the game get drowned out by a stupid fanfare as a huge brick of colors and text I don't give a shit about pops up on the screen for a few seconds. There isn't a single game where achievement do aside from take away from the enjoyment of a game.

Second, downloadable content is a scam and blatant rip off on all but a few rare exceptions.

Third, I don't give a shit about competitive online. The only PS3 game with online functions I've played, where the single player campaign didn't feel like it was bent over a table and raped so the team could focus on the competitive multiplayer was Demon's Souls.

The only good aspect that online has provided consoles with that hasn't resulted in any particularly bad side effects is the online stores allowing for indie developed games to gain a foothold. I don't know why introducing consoles to online has resulted in them digesting it so horribly. I'm not huge on PC gaming, but PC gaming works with online so much better than consoles. Modding communities, MMORPGs, the same indie gaming market. Hell Oblivion is a testament to how much a modding community can add to a game. I'd go as far as to say online has ruined this last console generation.

If Nintendo is going balls deep into Online like Sony and Microsoft, I think I might be done with contemporary console gaming : /

Well since we're all just throwing shit against a wall and see what sticks, might join it as well.

My hopes:

Powerfull hardware with a shit ton on ram
backwards compatibility with a decent upscaler
Skyward Swords as Launch game. (why not kick of next gen with an amazing game?)

My expectations:

A decent system that will be stronger than current consoles but not by much making it obsolete in terms of power and multiplat games by the time MS and Sony upgrade.

Sony going on record that Next GEn doesn't start unless they say so..^^ lol

MisterHero

ShockingAlberto said:
I wonder what people will say when they say they don't want to play games on this system

Now it's "it looks like shit on my TV". I am guessing "it's not native 1080p, am I seriously expected to play this" in two years.
"Dead Rising 2 Off the Record for Wii 2's hundreds of zombies on-screen pales in comparison to Dead Rising 3's entire countries of zombies on-screen"

WillyFive

Woffls said:
If Nintendo 6 (Yes, I'm calling it that) just upscales to 720p/1080p, can we actually expect Wind Waker to look like this? I'm not sure what other post-processing Dolphin applies to emulation to get those results.

CHOO CHOO BITCHES!

Not it won't. Upscaling just stretches a 480p image to fit a 1080p screen.

What you are seeing there is Wind Waker running in actual HD. That's something completely different, and the system would have to run the game on an emulator to do this.

Sophia

ShockingAlberto said:

I expect "The online's better on my 360/720" or "There's not enough games."

DaBuddaDa

As Dolphin has been showing us, take current Nintendo games, up-res them to 1080p, and they look amazing. Nothing else really has to be done, Nintendo's got it easy.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
So the hypothetical bar is set at 6-8 year old hardware today? (360)

Gravijah

Mortrialus said:
First off, fuck achievements and trophies. There is nothing more distracting and immersion killing in a game than having the sound on the game get drowned out by a stupid fanfare as a huge brick of colors and text I don't give a shit about pops up on the screen for a few seconds. There isn't a single game where achievement do aside from take away from the enjoyment of a game.

Can't you turn achievement notifications off?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ShockingAlberto said:

standards & expectations change.

This fits in with my expectations. I had been figuring on them going for a late 2012 launch, so an unveiling at this year's E3 (but with most of the conference still focused on Wii/3DS) makes sense. If they're showing the system off to 3rd parties 18 months+ before launch, that probably means they're being pretty aggressive in trying to secure some major titles in the launch window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom