• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

Coolwhip

Banned
It is my personal barrier yes...nor am I alone though...look at the history of console pricing...

360 $299
Wii $249
Xbox $299
PS2 $299
GCN $199
Dreamcast $199
N64 $199
PS1 $299
SNES $199
Megadrive $189
NES $199

The anomalies in history are PS3 at $599, Saturn $399, Neo Geo $649 and 3DO at $699...and they all bombed at launch.

There is a reason that you don't go over $299...it's historical a precedent has been set...to break down the $299 will take something special and Sony tried by converging different technology but it only worked for the PS2. The perceived value of a console has not shifted from generation to generation...and we'll continue to want our console's at $299 even if it's the basic and gimped version.

How do you explain the jump from 199 to 299 then? As time goes on prices go up, everyone understands that with inflation. So 6 years after the previous batch Nintendo thought it was ok to go up 50 bucks. I think it will be fine.

Yagharek

It is my personal barrier yes...nor am I alone though...look at the history of console pricing...

360 $299
Wii $249
Xbox $299
PS2 $299
GCN $199
Dreamcast $199
N64 $199
PS1 $299
SNES $199
Megadrive $189
NES $199

The anomalies in history are PS3 at $599, Saturn $399, Neo Geo $649 and 3DO at $699...and they all bombed at launch.

There is a reason that you don't go over $299...it's historical a precedent has been set...to break down the $299 will take something special and Sony tried by converging different technology but it only worked for the PS2. The perceived value of a console has not shifted from generation to generation...and we'll continue to want our console's at $299 even if it's the basic and gimped version.

360 was $399. Unless you only acknowledge the existence of the core pack.

Wuu specs so far:

CPU: 3-core CPU, with each core being an upgraded Broadway CPU
GPU: AMD Radeon e6760 equivalent or better graphic processing unit
Memory: 32MB eDRAM (accessible by both GPU/CPU?), and 2GB of DDR3 general ram (of which 1GB is currently accessible to developers)
Misc: ARM-chip for OS(?), DSP for sound.

All in all, it looks like a 2-4x upgrade over the current generation.

F#A#Oo

Banned
How do you explain the jump from 199 to 299 then? As time goes on prices go up, everyone understands that with inflation. So 6 years after the previous batch Nintendo thought it was ok to go up 50 bucks. I think it will be fine.

Did you not read my post? $299 is the limit...Nintendo going from $199 to $249 didn't impact on anything. I would have paid $299 for both a GCN and N64 had they priced them as such.

360 was $399. Unless you only acknowledge the existence of the core pack.

You have to acknowledge the core pack. It exists to appease those who won't buy above $299...that's my point...if MS could have done one SKU at $399 they would have...but they didn't because they know they're cutting off a massive amount of consumers.

beril

TBO anything else would be suprising. Main problem of pc gpgpu is that you have alloc and copy between the main memory and the vram a lot. Sharing the edram would only be logical imho.

eh, how are they supposed to share edram? it can't really be embedded in both GPU and CPU at the same time can it? The CPU may be able to access it in some manner but I'd assume that would be far slower than accessing the main memory. It's very likely however that the main memory is shared, and that the GPU can write to main memory when doing gpgpu stuff, (or when you run out of edram if you have lots of rendertargets).

LastNac

Did you not read my post? $299 is the limit...Nintendo going from $199 to $249 didn't impact on anything. I would have paid $299 for both a GCN and N64 had they priced them as such.

You have to acknowledge the core pack. It exists to appease those who won't buy above $299...that's my point...if MS could have done one SKU at $399 they would have...but they didn't because they know they're cutting off a massive amount of consumers.

Yet you list the higher of the two PS3 skus? Double standards.

Hakai

Wii
Xbox
PS2
GCN
Dreamcast
N64
PS1
SNES
Megadrive
NES

The anomalies in history are PS3 at Saturn Neo Geo and 3DO at and they all bombed at launch.

There is a reason that you don't go over it's historical a precedent has been set...to break down the will take something special and Sony tried by converging different technology but it only worked for the PS2. The perceived value of a console has not shifted from generation to generation...and we'll continue to want our console's at even if it's the basic and gimped version.

Dude your post fails. Really it lacks the adjustment to inflation. But you don't need to do the math here you go:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/177337/Sizing_up_Wii_Us_price_tag_against_history.php

F#A#Oo

Banned
Yet you list the higher of the two PS3 skus? Double standards.

Sony didn't make it freely available to buy...and then announced they were going to discontinue it because of "lack of demand".

Dude your post fails. Really it lacks the adjustment to inflation. But you don't need to do the math here you go:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/177337/Sizing_up_Wii_Us_price_tag_against_history.php

no one calculates their electronics purchases with inflation...lol

Hakai

Sony didn't make it freely available to buy...and then announced they were going to discontinue it because of "lack of demand".

It's not because you do not calculate with inflation that your logic makes sense.

The value remains the same, even if its priced " higher" it is the equivalent of what you have paying so far, so you have no point. People earn more so things cost more.

The 20gig ps3 was so limited in availability it might as well not have existed

Literally no one bought the core 360 pack for pretty much the first two years it was on shelves. It wasn't until the arcade console with the 4GB built in, and later the 360 slim, that it actually picked up momentum.

F#A#Oo

Banned
It's not because you do not calculate with inflation that your logic makes sense.

The value remains the same, even if its priced " higher" it is the equivalent of what you have paying so far, so you have no point. People earn more so things cost more.

It doesn't matter...purchases are psychological more than anything.

You think Apple care about peoples incomes and inflation? They get people lining up for iPhones because they get the psychological aspect of selling. What's in peoples pockets and bank accounts matters little if you can get in someones head enough to matter.

There has not been a console yet in history that has been released which breaks the price barrier and sells well and when that happens you make sure to bump this thread and gloat but till then you haven't raise a valid point and your skirting the issue.

360 $299
Wii $249
Xbox $299
PS2 $299
GCN $199
Dreamcast $199
N64 $199
PS1 $299
SNES $199
Megadrive $189
NES $199

I want my systems affordable, but inflation is a real thing.

$299 today isn't the same as $299 fifteen years ago, so you will either pay a little more or get a little less. That's the way it is.

optimiss

360 $299
Wii $249
Xbox $299
PS2 $299
GCN $199
Dreamcast $199
N64 $199
PS1 $299
SNES $199
Megadrive $189
NES $199

You have to account for inflation. The $199 NES is the equivalent of $426.07 today!!

So you are saying the Wii U basic is worth $299 but the same system with more memory and a $60 dollar game is not worth $50 more? Nonsensical! I hope you don't plan on buying Nintendoland then....

Thaedolus

Of course people don't sit down and compare a chart like that to determine what a console is worth, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think inflation plays a huge role. When I was 11 and the N64 came out, $200 was a massive amount of money to me and my family. It took months of saving my birthday money and allowance to get it at launch. Now I'm a grown ass man with a mortgage and a job and $350 doesn't seem too bad for a black Wii U. Inflation and perception are totally a part of what goes into a purchase. There is no magic price barrier because the worth of a dollar is always going to be relative.

SmokyDave

I don't think $299 is some 'set in stone' limit, I just think that above that you have to bring something pretty special to the table.

I could seriously do without your nonstop BS cynical wah wah wah.

Ah, dude. I feel genuinely bad now. I don't want to upset you. As an olive branch, I promise not to make a single negative comment about the Wii-U for a whole week. Just for you.

Hakai

I want my systems affordable, but inflation is a real thing.

today isn't the same as fifteen years ago, so you will either pay a little more or get a little less. That's the way it is.

You have to account for inflation. The NES is the equivalent of today!!

So you are saying the Wii U basic is worth but the same system with more memory and a dollar game is not worth more? Nonsensical! I hope you don't plan on buying Nintendoland then....

Of course people don't sit down and compare a chart like that to determine what a console is worth, but you're fooling yourself if you don't think inflation plays a huge role. When I was 11 and the N64 came out, was a massive amount of money to me and my family. It took months of saving my birthday money and allowance to get it at launch. Now I'm a grown ass man with a mortgage and a job and doesn't seem too bad for a black Wii U. Inflation and perception are totally a part of what goes into a purchase. There is no magic price barrier because the worth of a dollar is always going to be relative.

Glad that I'm not the only one reasonable around here!

I don't think $299 is some 'set in stone' limit, I just think that above that you have to bring something pretty special to the table.

Ah, dude. I feel genuinely bad now. I don't want to upset you. As an olive branch, I promise not to make a single negative comment about the Wii-U for a whole week. Just for you.

Let's see how special MS and Sony consoles will be, because they will clearly be more expensive than that....

jaypah

Why? Why would you commit to that? 7 days is a long time smoke.

Anyway, I remember Saturn stealth launching and was super hyped! Played a demo unit at Software Ect. and was ready to start getting ideas of how I was going to get the cash. I asked the dude the price, listened to his spiel, put down the controller and silently walked to my bus stop. What the FUCK were SEGA thinking?

I want a WiiU at launch but they sold out of preorders the day before I had the money to put down. I don't feel like doing this same song and dance of getting up early and hitting all the retail spots. I did it with the 360 (luckily I got word of the Dec. 18th relaunch at bestbuy and lined up) and the Wii. I'm 32 now......i don't think I have it in me!!

SmokyDave

Yo Dave

You on board? I know you love new toys!
I do love new toys but sadly I do not feel I will be on board for this one. I am yet to see any compelling reason for me personally to 'jump in'. Who knows what time will bring though.

Let's see how special MS and Sony consoles will be, because they will clearly be more expensive than that....
I'm OK with that, I think. Sony make fucking sweet hardware and MS got the games on lock. Obviously it remains to be seen but I'm quietly confident they'll bring the goods.

Why? Why would you commit to that? 7 days is a long time smoke.

I've given CaptainN a hard time and I feel bad. It's the least I can do. Ain't gonna be easy though :(

Anyway, I remember Saturn stealth launching and was super hyped! Played a demo unit at Software Ect. and was ready to start getting ideas of how I was going to get the cash. I asked the dude the price, listened to his spiel, put down the controller and silently walked to my bus stop. What the FUCK were SEGA thinking?

I want a WiiU at launch but they sold out of preorders the day before I had the money to put down. I don't feel like doing this same song and dance of getting up early and hitting all the retail spots. I did it with the 360 (luckily I got word of the Dec. 18th relaunch at bestbuy and lined up) and the Wii. I'm 32 now......i don't think I have it in me!!
I bought the Saturn at launch and it totally blew me away. Sega Rally at home was just an incredible experience. The following months as it died on it's arse were horrible. Here in the UK it just got battered senseless by the PS1, it was a merciless slaughtering.

F#A#Oo

Banned
You know what I will bump this thread when Orbis/Durango pricing is announced and I can guarantee people will bitch and moan if MS and Sony announce a $400-$499 console.

I can see it now;

GAF "But but but...you subsidized consoles before why not now MS/Sony?"

MS/Sony; "We giving you them 1080p graphics and 60fps and moar powah with a billion blops and flops for Avatar-esque graphics"

GAF; "But but but $499 US DOLLARZ!!!"

Hoo-doo

Banned
You know what I will bump this thread when Orbis/Durango pricing is announced and I can guarantee people will bitch and moan if MS and Sony announce a $400-$499 console.

I can see it now;

MS/Sony; "We giving you them 1080p graphics and 60fps and moar powah with a billion blops and flops for Avatar-esque graphics"

I'd drop 400/499 dollars on a console in a heartbeat if it's actually brimming with great hardware and games. It will sit pretty right next to the Wii-U.

You should try and be less bothered about other people's preferences

test_account

XP-39C²

I can see it now;

It is more a question about value rather than a pricetag. At least i strongly assume so. Goes for all systems.

i-Lo

I can see it now;

Buy whatever you want and stop projecting your preferences onto others. This sort of post only serves to derail the thread.

Nibel

I do love new toys but sadly I do not feel I will be on board for this one. I am yet to see any compelling reason for me personally to 'jump in'. Who knows what time will bring though.

Seems reasonable, I like that attitude! So this basically means that you'll get one when they release a GT-like F-Zero, riiight? ;)

pramath

Banned
Another article about the DX11 Unity comments

http://gamingbolt.com/wiiu-is-capabl...3-and-xbox-360

Wii U’s graphics are quite proficient according to Unity Technology’s CEO David Helgason. He mentions that the tech in Wii U can scale nicely and the rumours about it being underpowered.

In a pre-briefing interview with Gaming Blend, Helgason mentioned that the Wii U will be able to take advantage of all the latest Unity Engine’s features.

“Yeah. We’ll do a — we’ll make it potentially possible to do,” he said.

“What’s interesting is that our philosophy is always this: We have a match work flow and I’m sure we can make a decent game and prototype, and they’re fun. And then we have a shared system that basically allows you to access the full capabilities of the hardware you run. That’s going to be good whether you’re running [software] on an iPhone, the Wii U, a gaming PC or whatever.”

The Wii U won’t run Direct X11 because the API is owned by Microsoft and there’s no way Nintendo will license that. However, the Wii U is capable of Direct X11 equivalent graphics using different APIs like Unity 4.

F#A#Oo

Banned
For it to matter, you'll need to drop the 'GAF' and call out actual posters.

Naaa have you seen console price announcements on here...people always bitch and moan...

Wii - 2 GCN'S duct-taped together, no HD graphics and you want me to exercise whilst gaming and you want $250!!!
PS3 - $599...R.I.P Kutaragi-san! Ridge Raaaacccer...Giant Enemy Crab!
Xbox 360 - What! No HD DVD drive, Tard pack and pay for online!?!
DS - N64 graphics and gimmicky gameplay for little kids and it looks like a Tiger handheld all for $150!?!

Hey bgassasin, appreciate if you could answer this one question.

In regards to the CPU, have your sources commented on its capabilities?

Previous insiders have commented that the Wii U's CPU is weak in comparison to the HD Twins, and there's also a few developers who have publically have made comments suggesting this is indeed the case. We recently had the Ninja Gaiden devs saying the Wii U version has less on screen enemies then the PS3/60 due to its processor.

What is the likely cause of these sorts of comments:

Developers running unoptimised code on the Wii U

Devleopers failing to take advantage of GPGPU and other hardware that could perform these tasks or lighten CPU load

The Wii U's processor is indeed inferior in most regards to the Xenon and Cell processors.

Middleware and development tools not yet optimised enough for developers to take advantage of the CPU's power

Only direct info I received related to the CPU was that the bus between the CPU and GPU was "something MS wish they had".

Optimization is a part of it. Devs wouldn't be "failing" at that because shifting code to the GPU is not a trivial task from what I understand. The CPU isn't inferior so much as it obviously being different compared to Xenon and Cell and that difference is the most likely culprit.

Knowing that it is at least a modified r700 can we expect at least an r800 tesselator performance wise?

It will need a newer gen tessellator unit as the R800 TU was not good either. It would need to have one from as early as the Cayman line to do well. You'd think/hope it has one even newer than that due to the customizations.

Thraktor

I think it's neither a CPU cache nor a framebuffer. I have a theory, but it's probably all kinds of wrong (and stupid), as that stuff isn't really my area of expertise. We have quite a few people on GAF who know a whole lot more about this than I do, and they'll probably laugh at me, but here it goes: I think the eDRAM is meant to be a fast, low latency scratchpad for both the CPU and the GPU, (mostly) meant to make GPGPU operations more efficient. A buffer for high speed data exchange between CPU and GPU to prevent stalls, basically.

I think you're partially right, in that it's intended both as a framebuffer and as low-latency GPGPU memory.

In fact, that brings me to another thought I'd had. I've been of the opinion for a while that this chip being manufactured in Fab 8 is the Wii U GPU, something which would imply that the eDRAM is on-die with the GPU, rather than on a separate die. If IBM is involved in manufacturing the GPU, there might be other implications, though. A few pages back, Matt talked about the Wii U's GPU having a "significant" increase in registers over the R700 series. More register memory would be a benefit to GPGPU functionality, but usually comes at the expense of added transistors, which means higher power usage, more heat and a larger, more expensive die.

But what if Nintendo has replaced the register memory (which I assume is usually SRAM) with eDRAM? IBM's eDRAM takes up roughly one third the transistors of SRAM, and has similar power and heat benefits. With it, they could double the available register memory, from 128 registers per thread to 256, while decreasing the transistor count over the reference R700. Alongside the extremely low memory latency that would come with an on-die 32MB pool of eDRAM, and the 32nm manufacturing process, this would make for a GPU which is very GPGPU code friendly, while still consuming very little power, both things which Nintendo seems to be focussing on. It would also be an answer to the question posed a few pages back of "Why would Nintendo spend years modifying a R700 rather than just using something like an E6760?"

Another article about the DX11 Unity comments

http://gamingbolt.com/wiiu-is-capabl...3-and-xbox-360

Wii U’s graphics are quite proficient according to Unity Technology’s CEO David Helgason. He mentions that the tech in Wii U can scale nicely and the rumours about it being underpowered.

In a pre-briefing interview with Gaming Blend, Helgason mentioned that the Wii U will be able to take advantage of all the latest Unity Engine’s features.

“Yeah. We’ll do a — we’ll make it potentially possible to do,” he said.

“What’s interesting is that our philosophy is always this: We have a match work flow and I’m sure we can make a decent game and prototype, and they’re fun. And then we have a shared system that basically allows you to access the full capabilities of the hardware you run. That’s going to be good whether you’re running [software] on an iPhone, the Wii U, a gaming PC or whatever.”

The Wii U won’t run Direct X11 because the API is owned by Microsoft and there’s no way Nintendo will license that. However, the Wii U is capable of Direct X11 equivalent graphics using different APIs like Unity 4.
Make sure your links work:

http://gamingbolt.com/wiiu-is-capab...is-obviously-better-than-the-ps3-and-xbox-360

Code:
http://gamingbolt.com/wiiu-is-capable-of-dx-11-graphics-is-obviously-better-than-the-ps3-and-xbox-360

Thraktor

1080p60 F-Zero (even a remake of GX) and I'm there. That, or a new Rakuga Kids. They're my weak-points.

They don't even need to remake GX, a straight port at 1080p would still look amazing (have a look at some of the screens of it in the Dolphin thread).

eh, how are they supposed to share edram? it can't really be embedded in both GPU and CPU at the same time can it? The CPU may be able to access it in some manner but I'd assume that would be far slower than accessing the main memory. It's very likely however that the main memory is shared, and that the GPU can write to main memory when doing gpgpu stuff, (or when you run out of edram if you have lots of rendertargets).

In theory (although of course this goes against what I posted above) the CPU, GPU and eDRAM could each be separate dies on a MCM (multi-chip module) with a high bandwidth, low latency bus going between them. Such a set-up isn't without it's complexities, but it is possible.

Earendil

I think it's neither a CPU cache nor a framebuffer. I have a theory, but it's probably all kinds of wrong (and stupid), as that stuff isn't really my area of expertise. We have quite a few people on GAF who know a whole lot more about this than I do, and they'll probably laugh at me, but here it goes: I think the eDRAM is meant to be a fast, low latency scratchpad for both the CPU and the GPU, (mostly) meant to make GPGPU operations more efficient. A buffer for high speed data exchange between CPU and GPU to prevent stalls, basically.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

I kid, I kid. Just wanted to laugh at you since you know at least 10x what I do about this stuff.

BTW, can someone please refresh my memory on how RAM bandwidths are calculated? If I remember right, it's the interface width X the speed, and then since DDR is dual channel, that number is multiplied by 2. Right? Or are you guys going to laugh at me like I just laughed at wsippel (except for reals this time)?

wsippel

Banned
I think you're partially right, in that it's intended both as a framebuffer and as low-latency GPGPU memory.
I didn't mean to imply that the eDRAM wouldn't be used to store the framebuffer and some render targets, but I don't think it's a dedicated framebuffer.

AzaK

No, but as you said

It doesn't matter...purchases are psychological more than anything.

It's psychological and back in the 80's and 90's those prices felt like maybe a $3-400 console does now due to our higher incomes etc.

I can see it now;

I don't thin it'll happen. Read the Orbis/Durango threads and people there are wanting it to be high cause that means great higher end tech. Personally I'd have paid more for a Wii U if it was gruntier.

Only direct info I received related to the CPU was that the bus between the CPU and GPU was "something MS wish they had".

Optimization is a part of it. Devs wouldn't be "failing" at that because shifting code to the GPU is not a trivial task from what I understand. The CPU isn't inferior so much as it obviously being different compared to Xenon and Cell and that difference is the most likely culprit.

It will need a newer gen tessellator unit as the R800 TU was not good either. It would need to have one from as early as the Cayman line to do well. You'd think/hope it has one even newer than that due to the customizations.

Was that "Wish they had in the 360 days"? Or do you mean now because they've gotta be building a machine far superior to Wii U this time around right?

Naaa have you seen console price announcements on here...people always bitch and moan...
*some* people sure... but what Dave is getting at is that GAF isn't a gestalt entity, and that for there to actually be hypocrisy you have to find individual posters being hypocrites.

you can't call out GAF for hypocrisy. GAF is what? thousands of individuals all with different tastes. name names or don't bother.

Seriously, do people just pull these numbers from thin air or something...

Nope, it's simple math...although I'd personally say 3-4 times:

2GB of RAM compared to 512MB.
3MB of CPU cache compared to 1MB.
32MB of eDRAM on the GPU compared to 10MB.
A GPU that's at least 2 generations ahead of the Xenos.
A GPU that's likely to have a superior tesselation unit and General Processing capabilities.
A CPU with Out of Order Execution instead of In Order Execution.
A CPU that isn't going to be bogged down with processing audio, IO and the OS.

The above is why it's not cheap. We're certainly not talking about another Wii situation here.

cjzTZ.jpg

I loved the Jaguar, the skinnable keypad was ahead of its time.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Still not entirely sold on the CPU being totally up to snuff, and IMO it's where I look for a bottleneck to come 1st. Though I fully admit I could be wrong.

The GPU is light years beyond the 360 and PS3 though. Anything respectable from the 4XXX series onward IMO is a metric ton better than either of the current HD console setups.

I'll be interested to see how the RAM pans out, and if over the life cycle of the system if Nintendo gives devs access to the other 1 gig RAM pool down the road.

I'm also interested in how loud or quiet the system will be when doing some serious tasks and accessing the big disc.

Top Bottom