• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Youtube Getting tough on video game monetization in 2014

BPoole

One one hand I've really enjoyed checking out new games on youtube and twitch. On the other hand the most popular guys are so freaking annoying...

1326910583_larry_david_reaction.gif
I always find it sad that I love gaming so much but if I go to the top gaming videos on YouTube I can't find a single video that interests me because 95% of the most popular channels are douchebags

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Someone can correct me here but as far as i understand it, if you do commentary over games then it becomes fair use policy and is supposed to be ok by the law but doing playthroughs without commentary and only showing the game may have potential problems.

As long as the commentary isn't a direct recounting of the game you should have the rights to that. You wouldn't own the rights to the video though at any time though.

Reviews should and usually do fall under fair use.

They've been trained well
It's fucking ridiculous dude. I can't believe some people out there.

It's really sad to see so many people fly off the handle and want to rake Youtubers over the coals for not having a "real job." Why don't these same people get a "real hobby" instead of playing video games? They are being as reductive as many people are about video games in general. People need to stop being bitter that someone can make a living off of Youtube.

darkpower

Banned
After watching the VGAs, please kill PewDiePie.

I don't want anyone censored. People think he may suck, but he still has every right to make what he wants and have the same rights as everyone else. If you don't like it, you don't have to watch.

(DISCLAIMER: I've never watched the guy, only heard the name being dropped, so yeah)

Spoke to a friend who owns an MCN and he said this really isn't anything new and has been in plan since July.

I asked him was it going to effect gaming channels and he said if they're under an MCN and managed correctly it shouldn't be much a problem.

I wonder how this applies to channels partnered directly with YouTube?

Margalis

Banned
Someone can correct me here but as far as i understand it, if you do commentary over games then it becomes fair use policy and is supposed to be ok by the law but doing playthroughs without commentary and only showing the game may have potential problems.

You're wrong.

Fair use is not exactly defined, but generally to be "fair use" something has to be shown only in part, shown to provide context for an opinion piece, shown for educational or non-monetary purposes, etc. Putting a whole work up start from finish is not fair use.

If you do a game review show and you show clips from a game in your review that is fair use. If you show the entire game no - you can add graphics and voiceover all you want, you are still profiting off of work mostly done by someone else.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Been doing a weekly review-type thing with a friend of mine which is about 10-ish edited minutes of whatever game we're covering that week, and it's almost at the point where it can pay for my sub to gamefly (which is to say, almost nothing)

If they kill the monetization on that we'll probably keep doing it, but certainly not anything further than what we already do.

kodecraft

What in the world type of logic is this? So you support banning things because individual people can make "easy" money? I really hope I'm straw manning you somehow, but I have trouble reading your post any other way.

I knew someone would take the bait.

Rubius

Uh oh, better get a real job.

A job is something somebody is willing to pay you to spend time on. If people are entertained by you commenting on video games and they pay you so that you do it more often, then it's called a job.
My current job is working 3-5 min an hour. The rest of the time I play video games or watch tv shows or go here on Neogaf.
A real job do not mean 9-5 doing meaningless things. Some people are "artists" and work doing other stuff like entertainment or creation. Is a photograph a real job? But he enjoy taking pictures of stuff. You can love what you are working for.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
This is sillier than when companies spend lots of resources to take down 5 second clip references of shows and not offer a way to provide that to customers. It's not stealing content, it's promoting it. Hell, insurance pays shit tons just to brute force get their brand known, and these guys are basically spending money to avoid getting that for free. It's nuts.

Alex

I could probably understand vapid, big budget hallway games wanting to enforce this but I hope it doesn't spill over entirely in the same manner to more meaningful gameplay focused kit, especially a lot of PC-centric or indie games I like. I don't sub to many big channels or watch too much on youtube but its nice to have content I need when I need it.

kodecraft

A job is something somebody is willing to pay you to spend time on. If people are entertained by you commenting on video games and they pay you so that you do it more often, then it's called a job.
My current job is working 3-5 min an hour. The rest of the time I play video games or watch tv shows or go here on Neogaf.
A real job do not mean 9-5 doing meaningless things. Some people are "artists" and work doing other stuff like entertainment or creation. Is a photograph a real job? But he enjoy taking pictures of stuff. You can love what you are working for.

The viewers don't actually pay the up-loaders though, that revenue comes from ad's on their page.

RetroStu

Banned
It's really sad to see so many people fly off the handle and want to rake Youtubers over the coals for not having a "real job." Why don't these same people get a "real hobby" instead of playing video games? They are being as reductive as many people are about video games in general. People need to stop being bitter that someone can make a living off of Youtube.

Yep many people try and fail on Youtube, you really have to be talented at games or have some kind of unique edge like DSP with his rage and failing or Pewdipie with him talking and acting like a 5yo. A lot of these guys put a lot of hours into this and i feel that some people are very envious of the fact that they get paid to play videogames.

Also they are a lifesaver for someone like me who has been laid off 3 times in the past 4 years and have been unable to buy many games.

Doran902

None of the people watching are paying to watch them though (and I doubt many of the subscribers would), they are making ad revenue based on views so the companies like Nintendo don't want people making ad revenue off their games. They want to be making the ad revenue off their games. Its like 1 giant grey area. I don't want anyone to lose their means of supporting themselves but I'm shocked there hasn't been a corporate shutdown or a lawsuit yet that has stopped people from doing it. People saying its free advertising for these games can be right in some cases but I'm sure it comes down to a game by game case and the companies would have better data to support which side they fall on.

RetroStu

Banned
Darksy Phil will need to get a real job?

Nope he's already just got a new contract with Machinima last week and just uploaded his 'game schedule' video where he talks about all the upcoming games he's going to do playthroughs for.
All these changes obviously are not as bad as some people are making out.

kodecraft

Says the person that didn't notice the quotes encasing the word "easy" in his post.

And how do you think people view the ads? Go on, please tell me who has to click on the video to see the ad and thus generate the revenue!

I know how people view the ads. Let's see these same individuals put in the "work" to play through these games if they aren't monetized for them.

Rubius

The viewers don't actually pay the up-loaders though, that revenue comes from ad's on their page.

But they still "pay" the guy. They give him 0.01 cent or something like for seeing the ad. If a million of person watch something, then the guy get paid more. It's a commission system.
You still have to tolerate the ads, which will pay the artist.

kodecraft

But they still "pay" the guy. They give him 0.01 cent or something like for seeing the ad. If a million of person watch something, then the guy get paid more. It's a commission system.

True.

ahuffman

Banned

Or you block the ads and win either way!

Biker19

Banned
Publishers don't understand how much these videos and streams make them. The uploaders/streamers are not charging publishers a dime to play these games. It really is free advertisement for the publisher.

I have two physical games for my PS4 - Ghosts and ACIV. I bought both because of twitch streams and youtube videos. I don't watch television, so whatever the publisher paid to have commercials on television... that had no effect on my purchase. It was the ordinary people playing and enjoying the games that sold me.

This. Publishers have got to be out of their minds. Let's Play's, as well as fighting game tournaments/streams are one of the very main reasons why I watch Youtube. I can understand not wanting people to make money off of their work, but don't punish those like me that likes to watch how games are played, etc.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Assuming that someone doesn't do a very negative LP/review, what incentive would the publisher have to interfere with that? If there's no lost revenue, why should they care?

Screenshot_4.png

Given that internet/GAF/internet seemed to assume that Sessler was crying about not getting a free PS4, it seems more likely to be linked to this doesn't it?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This. Publishers have got to be out of their minds. Let's Play's, as well as fighting game tournaments/streams are one of the very main reasons why I watch Youtube. I can understand not wanting people to make money off of their work, but don't punish those like me that likes to watch how games are played, etc.

The vast majority of those publishers just want to be able to monetize/prevent people from monetizing their work and most of the videos not done for profit will be completely unchanged.

Kucan

The LP'ers who make a fair money either focus heavy on indies who don't care or those who given permission, so this will probably kill off channels such as as this guy who just uploads footage from the game without commentary or next to any editing.

People like Tobuscus and such have other original content to prop up their channels anyway and those as big as the Yogscast might just straight up buy licenses from the companies themselves. (For example, if they can afford managing an office block, a music label, their own DLC in games, their very own game and propping up Playstation Access then I suspect they may have enough to buy themselves out of this system altogether)

Takuan

I can understand not wanting a popular internet figure to shit on their games, but for studios with an established, loyal following like Blizzard this seems incredibly silly. Only a handful of people actually make decent livings off this, the rest of them are doing it for fun. Why ruin that?

Iacobellis

...And this sucks. I was planning to get back into uploading gameplay again after taking a hiatus since 2011. Had an Elgato Game Capture HD down for Christmas and was going to pick up an HDMI Splitter for my PS4.

Fuck.

Whatever is anyones reasons for supporting/being against this are, please think about this for a second. You are talking about people that sometimes(some of them most of the time) have a higher view count than a LOAD of shows on TV. This AINT gonna happen. At best its only gonna affect small shows.

Charade

I actually agree with this. No difference between uploading a whole movie and vidoegame cutscenes

For some games. If a game doesn't have much story and focuses on other elements (like a big multiplayer scene), then it may still have a promotional effect.

Yuterald

Cool, I never knew all 9-5 jobs were meaningless. I better quit my current job and start uploading my Dynamite Headdy runs so YouTube can match my 401K investment. Thanks for the financial tip!

Top Bottom