• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Gaikai will come to the PS3 with a FW update

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
It felt like I was playing a PS4 demo during the end battle of God of War Ascension. Will feel pretty damn weird if I play actual PS4 demos on my PS3. Wonder if they'll just absorb the streaming costs as advertising/marketing since I'm not sure charging for that would really work.

It felt like I was playing a PS4 demo during the end battle of God of War Ascension. Will feel pretty damn weird if I play actual PS4 demos on my PS3. Wonder if they'll just absorb the streaming costs as advertising/marketing since I'm not sure charging for that would really work.

PS4 demos exclusively to PS+ users? That's a way to absorb the cost while increasing value to PS+.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
What's PlayGo?

It seems to be their marketing term for the progressive download tech - i.e. start playing shortly after a game starts downloading.

Is this cloud service also being mentioned for Vita, or is Vita's role in this just as a remote player tethered to PS3/4? Has Sony offered up any details?

I have no interest in purchasing a static console (young kids, no time to slack off on a couch), but would flip if I could stream content directly to my Vita.

The service that will offer PS1, PS2, PS3 and PS Mobile content is envisioned for 'all devices', per Sony's own words. So that'll include Vita obviously - but also tablets, phones, browsers, PS4 etc.

goomba

Banned
We shall see. The cost of the theoretical high end PC that emulates the PS3 perfectly is certainly more costly, so I don't see a preferable option for Sony.

It wouldnt have to emulate it. The server could be cell based with huge amounts of bandwidth, RAM and harddrives serving out "virtual consoles" to clients.

krizzx

Funny, Nintendo did the same thing with the Wii U. They brought all of the content with a firmware update and people bashed them for not having it on the console at launch. People also made fun of the "Wii" mode backwards compatibility but then said BC didn't matter when it was announced Sony wouldn't provide it.

It shall be interesting to watch and see who 180's and calls this great as well.

Sean

Banned
I think PS4 demos on PS3 through Gaikai, and even PSV, tablets, PCs through a browser, would be a very very smart thing for Sony to do.

I think it'd be very cool but I'm not sure the average user will view it the same way.

They might be wondering why they'd need to buy a $500 PS4 if their PS3 can just stream all those games.

StuBurns

Banned
It wouldnt have to emulate it. The server could be cell based with huge amounts of bandwidth, RAM and harddrives serving out "virtual consoles" to clients.
I'm sure they could have produced an engineering alternative to their PS3 based server farms too, clearly they didn't.
Not going to happen.
Gameplay will be too laggy due to high latency and will give the players wrong impression about PS4.

Plus, it will be too expensive on Sony's part.
Well the first thing, laggy, is not a good point, because Sony are claiming they're about to roll out this service anyway. If you can't get the PS4 response crisp, you can't get the PS3 response crisp, so why bother anyway? Of course it wouldn't be as good as local rendering, but that's indicative of the cloud based solution

The second thing is kind of a good reason, but also kind of not. The idea it's not as responsive, and has micro blocking etc, would stand up if Sony didn't release trailers that paled in comparison to the games running locally. They're clearly willing to give people pathetic versions of what the games actually are already.

The cost thing is possible, I have no idea how much it would cost.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Not going to happen.
Gameplay will be too laggy due to high latency and will give the players wrong impression about PS4.

Plus, it will be too expensive on Sony's part.

It would also make people who don't understand the concept of a streaming service think that if the PS3 can play PS4 games, why would they need a PS4. It's a very, very bad idea.

StuBurns

Banned
It would also make people who don't understand the concept of a streaming service think that if the PS3 can play PS4 games, why would they need a PS4. It's a very, very bad idea.
This is such a bad argument. Sony just bought Gaikai, the whole concept of the service is letting people play games running on better hardware than they own. Why buy a service if you believe the audience are too stupid to comprehend the concept?

Perkel

Banned
Now imagine you will be able to play PS4 games on your PS3...

Lag, 720p etc whatever. Simple possibility like that is amazing imo .

I think it'd be very cool but I'm not sure the average user will view it the same way.

They might be wondering why they'd need to buy a $500 PS4 if their PS3 can just stream all those games.

Because they would be streaming demos, not games. If they want to experience the game, they would have to buy the console.

Try out Killzone SF, Infamous, Drive Club, etc on your PS3, PC, tablet, whatever, love it, buy the PS4 to play the full game.

Funny, Nintendo did the same thing with the Wii U. They brought all of the content with a firmware update and people bashed them for not having it on the console at launch. People also made fun of the "Wii" mode backwards compatibility but then said BC didn't matter when it was announced Sony wouldn't provide it.

It shall be interesting to watch and see who 180's and calls this great as well.

wrong thread for your console war bullshit.

If they really do this i will wait for the PS4 Mini Broadband Pack which includes a PSN Membership, a Dualshock Controller for your PC and a Gaikai Login. That´s all i need for my PS4 experience. lol.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is such a bad argument. Sony just bought Gaikai, the whole concept of the service is letting people play games running on better hardware than they own. Why buy a service if you believe the audience are too stupid to comprehend the concept?

They bought it to let people stream PS3 games on PS4 in order to compensate for a lack of hardware BC in PS4. A lot of people are really dumb and won't understand/notice the differences in streaming versus playing a game natively. If they do it they would need a gigantic disclaimer explaining it.

I played one chapter of alan wake with gaikai.
It was amazing.

Everyone talking about lag has no clue what they're saying. It was so breathtaking the way it worked.

I have faith. This is a whole division inside of sony dedicated to accomplish this one thing. They'll do it.

StuBurns

Banned
They bought it to let people stream PS3 games on PS4 in order to compensate for a lack of hardware BC in PS4. A lot of people are really dumb and won't understand/notice the differences in streaming versus playing a game natively. If they do it they would need a gigantic disclaimer explaining it.
No, they didn't. PlayStation Gaikai is going to be on a lot more than PS4. Backwards compatibility is the least interesting thing about that acquisition.

And yes, they would need to make it implicitly clear the PS3 hasn't become a PS4, I don't think that would be difficult though.

spwolf

I'm sure they could have produced an engineering alternative to their PS3 based server farms too, clearly they didn't.

you are smart guy... you do realize games running over Gaikai to PS3 will be PS4 games, right? On PS3 you will have Gaikai client that will stream game video and communicate with servers... but servers wont be PS3... PS4, so essentially virtualized PS4 instances running on PC's.

No, they didn't. PlayStation Gaikai is going to be on a lot more than PS4. Backwards compatibility is the least interesting thing about that acquisition.

Yep

GamesBeat: Will we see streaming company Gaikai’s cloud services on the PlayStation 3 as well? It should technically be able to run on any device.
Shuhei Yoshida: That’s the vision. That’s what [Gaikai CEO] David Perry said. In the future the ultimate goal is everything everywhere. … So when we say everywhere, like every device, including the smartphones, TVs … refrigerators [Laughs] … that’s our goal. But we have to phase services step-by-step

StuBurns

Banned
you are smart guy... you do realize games running over Gaikai to PS3 will be PS4 games, right? On PS3 you will have Gaikai client that will stream game video and communicate with servers... but servers wont be PS3... PS4, so essentially virtualized PS4 instances running on PC's.
Maybe I'm not smart, I literally don't know what this post means.

The future will be revealed... the PS4 console was entirely a hoax! Gaikai is the PS4, playable on all PCs and PS3!

Joking of course.

Vashetti

Banned
Are people seriously saying that the PS4 is now irrelevant because Gaikai is (potentially) coming to the PS3?

You think that Sony is going to let you stream PS4 games to your PS3?

2n85z09.gif

They want you to buy their new console.

spwolf

Maybe I'm not smart, I literally don't know what this post means.

maybe :)

why do you think they will have PS3 server farms?

I bet Gaikai will be PS4 games running on PC Cloud in virtualized instances. So you will be streaming PS4 games to your PS3.

There is no need to be PS3 server anywhere in sight.

spwolf

Are people seriously saying that the PS4 is now irrelevant because Gaikai is (potentially) coming to the PS3?

You think that Sony is going to let you stream PS4 games to your PS3?

2n85z09.gif

They want you to buy their new console.

I dont see why would Gaikai on TV make PS4 irrelevant but OK... in any case, yes, if world was very simple and Sony had 2 options - to let you play Gaikai games on PS3 or PS4, they would rather you play on PS3 which is pure profit for them.

But Gaikai on PS3 will be just one of the options... hard core gamers will still buy games. But now you will have an option to play great games on many devices, just like you can watch Netflix anywhere and still buy Blu-Ray.

StuBurns

Banned
maybe :)

why do you think they will have PS3 server farms?

I bet Gaikai will be PS4 games running on PC Cloud in virtualized instances. So you will be streaming PS4 games to your PS3.

There is no need to be PS3 server anywhere in sight.
It's not that I do think there will be PS3 server farms, I just thought it was funny someone thought it was a laughable concept, despite the fact Sony already do it for dedicated servers.

I have no idea what Sony will do with Gaikai from any sort of technical aspect. I have ideas on where Sony might want the service to go, but in terms of the back end, I'm truly clueless. My original point was simply that if someone understands why they need a PS3 to remote play on Vita, they're smart enough to understand that the 'console' for Gaikai is still a physical box, in a physical room.

Vashetti

Banned
Tremendous strategy by releasing GT6 and other hot properties for the PS3.

Why not support the PS3? It's going to make them money for years to come.

This isn't going to be a PS2 situation where it transitions pretty much to the new console.

The PS3 has its own network infrastructure with a store that sells games, movies, etc.

It's going to get cheaper and cheaper to produce, which will eventually translate to cheaper prices for the consumers. There'll likely be an even smaller PS3, a PS3 mini.

The PS3 will continue to excel for years to come as an affordable Blu-Ray player, a budget games console, something you can buy and children have in their bedrooms for themselves.

This Victim mentality is getting ridiculous.

Gaikai didn't even exist at the PS3 launch, never mind be owned by sony.

androvsky

It's not that I do think there will be PS3 server farms, I just thought it was funny someone thought it was a laughable concept, despite the fact Sony already do it for dedicated servers.

I have no idea what Sony will do with Gaikai from any sort of technical aspect. I have ideas on where Sony might want the service to go, but in terms of the back end, I'm truly clueless. My original point was simply that if someone understands why they need a PS3 to remote play on Vita, they're smart enough to understand that the 'console' for Gaikai is still a physical box, in a physical room.

And if there's anything the average person understands about technology, it's that streaming video can have quality issues. If Sony can explain that the game is being streamed, that should be enough.

I'd love to speculate about the backend for this. Gaikai's servers from before the buyout aren't going to have the unified CPU/GPU memory, iirc they have Nvidia GPUs, and might not even have 8 hardware cores that the PS4 does (though they'll be much faster CPUs per core). And I doubt Sony's so far along in PS4 production that they can fill several data centers with them, so if Sony does stream an E3 demo it'll have to be a special build for Gaikai's old servers. That shouldn't be too hard for the devs involved, but it'll be all we get for many months.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
And if there's anything the average person understands about technology, it's that streaming video can have quality issues. If Sony can explain that the game is being streamed, that should be enough.

I'd love to speculate about the backend for this. Gaikai's servers from before the buyout aren't going to have the unified CPU/GPU memory, iirc they have Nvidia GPUs, and might not even have 8 hardware cores that the PS4 does (though they'll be much faster CPUs per core). And I doubt Sony's so far along in PS4 production that they can fill several data centers with them, so if Sony does stream an E3 demo it'll have to be a special build for Gaikai's old servers. That shouldn't be too hard for the devs involved, but it'll be all we get for many months.

That's an interesting and valid point. The existing PC infrastructure wouldn't be well set up for PS4 streaming.

Let's remember that they cautioned that unspecified cloud features wouldn't be available day one.

Streaming PS4 demos may be among them. It might take a short while to get server inventory up to a point where they can offer streaming demos to PS4 users. They presumably have to prioritise retail supply of consoles.

neptunes

Sony will offer PS4 demos on the PS3. Watch.
There will be more effective ways for Sony to demo their PS4 games and I don't think offering demos to PS3 users will be one of them.

Retail Kiosks and street teams will allow Sony control how users experience their new system. (Showcasing the HW, their TV's etc..,) as opposed to just offering Some game demos and let people make their own interpretations. Not to mention there are a fair number of casual PS3 gamers who are content playing games on their TVs that aren't even calibrated correctly.

This is assuming none of the PS4 games take advantage of any the hardware specific features like the new Dualshock or their new camera. If they do, it'll be hard to translate those experiences across a demo on another platform.

Crunch2600

Neo Member
Does this not sort of make it cheaper being on PS4? Like, it's saying you might not need to get a PS4 to get a lot of the experience.

NO THEY DID NOT!

People really need to stop saying this. Playing a PS3 games on a PS4 is juts one small pat of the reason they bought their streaming service. Its to allow people to access their software despite they device their playing on. Sony realize that "Playstation" is going to have to mean something outside of a box you buy from them and place under your TV. Sony plans for game streaming goes far beyond backwards compatibility.

dezzy8

Why are people talking as if sony is going to allow is to stream ps4 games on the ps3? That shit is not happeneing.

Why are people talking as if sony is going to allow is to stream ps4 games on the ps3? That shit is not happeneing.

Why not? Why should Sony care what box you play a game on, as long as you buy their software? They make shit money on hardware anyway.

kurahador

Not sure about this, I'm still not clear how streaming game works.

What's the minimum speed required for this kind of service?

Sean

Banned
Because they would be streaming demos, not games. If they want to experience the game, they would have to buy the console.

Try out Killzone SF, Infamous, Drive Club, etc on your PS3, PC, tablet, whatever, love it, buy the PS4 to play the full game.

Yes but if it can stream a demo, there's no technical reason it can't stream a full game too. I'm not sure how Sony can communicate this to customers without opening up a giant can of worms.

"Your PS3 just streamed this PS4 demo showing that it's completely unnecessary to purchase new hardware for a next-gen experience. But please spend a couple hundred dollars on a PS4 anyway!"

Top Bottom