• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: MS approach Valve for buyout $16b offer

pasterpl

Don’t think it is true…..but Sort of make sense when you consider the rumours that the next Xbox might sideload steam, might end up not being side loaded but part of the platform. The whole hybrid Xbox/pc device starting to make sense.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

It would be even more interesting if MS acquired Valve prior to release... no shooting the messenger now
To Boldly Go Star Trek GIF by Omaze

See Season 1 Episode 5 GIF by Bluff City Law

Iced Arcade

Even if true (it isn’t) it would never get past regulatory bodies after MS were caught being lying bastards over ABK.
I'm not sure how this works because Valve is solely owned by gabe and not a publicly traded company. (I'm no expert on this but I believe it's different)

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I'm not sure how this works because Valve is privately owned and not a publicly traded company. (I'm no expect on this but I believe its different)

Antitrust laws would still apply. Strong argument that MS purchasing Valve would lead to monopolistic practises - and the further loss of jobs and product.

MS should never have been allowed to buy ABK, but behind the scenes bribes are a thing.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

I really hope this doesnt happen ( regardless if the rumor is true or not ).

MS owning Valve means they control the whole PC marketplace which they already control over Windows but now with games. this is a monopoly that should be rejected.

Last edited:

YuLY

I honestly think the industry will implode if this happens. Regulators must stop MS if this shit is true. Too much.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Steam is too important to put a price on. It's something that will contnue to be used by humanity and it will continue to expand in both usage and capabilities. Steam cannot afford to be purchased and ultimately, ruined. With all due respect, Gabe and Co. probably doesn't need the money. Speaking of which, it would be great if he and other industry veterans got together to create a network (ISP) strictly for gaming. Instead of people relying on Big rip-off Cable.

Braag

Can't see Gabe bending the knee. After all Valve has the privilege of being a very successful private company and has stayed that way, because they don't want to deal with everything that comes with going public.

Oppoi

Valve has kept making big changes to the industry that benefits the creators and consumers with little to no fanfare. Microsoft aquiring them would enforce the opposite of that.

Naz93

Neo Member
I'm not sure how this works because Valve is solely owned by gabe and not a publicly traded company. (I'm no expert on this but I believe it's different)
Gabe owns a quarter of Valve

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Valve abandoned making video games in 2010 with portal 2 so if someone presented 18 billion to me the answer is yes and just another move in Microsoft’s strange video game saga.

Captain Ginyu GIF by ositolikeme

MikeM

Could totally see MS buy Valve then shut it down immediately. Why fight the competition when you can buy them, destroy it, then force everyone to use your own shit store? 🙃

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$16 billion sounds low, no?

Then again who knows what Steam's financials are. But they dominate PC sales and I think Valve has a low employee overhead count. Although who knows what all that server costs are. Must be huge.

David B

An Idiot
Microsoft already made an offer to Valve CEO and he said no it will never ever happen! So yeah. It's not gonna happen. Microsoft just has to take defeat right now and remove itself from console gaming business.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Don't know what's funnier, if some rando with a Squirtle pfp making up fake news, or some of you taking those seriously.

What's next, a thread to discuss some post made on 4chan?
We seriously need a rule for this on here. Only allow X/Twitter new threads from people with an actual track record. I mean what prevents someone from creating a X/Twitter account and write some bullshit and post it here as new thread?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
You cannot be serious with this.

This has to be an act. It has to.

I’ve finally found it.

The dumbest comment I’ve ever read.

Obvious I was talking about PC game sales/launchers, but go ahead and assume I meant all PC software, that makes perfect sense in a thread about Valve, games and PC launchers. What's the ratio? Something like 85% steam, 5% Epic and 5% MS, 5% other?

Oh and I've been on these forums long enough to know this doesn't even crack top 100, even if your take on what I said was accurate.

Last edited:
Top Bottom