• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour -Techland employees : Dying Light 2 is "a total mess"

For shame if its true. Loved dying light 1 .

Main article :

Wow...that's really disheartening. Dying Light was awesome, and seemed to run pretty damn well on my PC and PS4.

Non-stop changing game mechanics? They seemed to have a solid mechanics foundation to build from.

Hope this isn't totally accurate.

Last edited:

Shrap

It wouldn't surprise me. The indefinite delay and the recent DLC for the first game (now 5 years old) are strong indicators that things aren't going smoothly.

Hopefully they can pull it together. Dying Light was great and I had fun with the Dead Island games.

The game looked good at the annoucement but also kinda aimless, which is what I was scared of. Lots of generic open world word salad "Your actions change the world around you" etc. Nobody who played the first one gives a fuck about this. How has the melee been made better? Parkour? Did anybody play the first one for the story? Most people just wanted to drop kick zombies off of rooftops.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Oh no. I was worried already with the fact that we last heard about this thing quite a long time ago, and the enormous promises they were making about it back then.

OrionNebula

Major leaks to be spoiled soon?

Joking aside, this sucks for pretty much all parties involved (gamers included), if true

MiguelItUp

This isn't too surprising after the indefinite delay. Extremely unfortunate though. It's crazy to me to see stuff like this happen at a dev/pub that has a portfolio and decent/above decent reputation. These kind of things generally occur at much smaller studios that are still learning and dealing with growing pains, I mean, at least most of the time.

This isn't too surprising after the indefinite delay. Extremely unfortunate though. It's crazy to me to see stuff like this happen at a dev/pub that has a portfolio and decent/above decent reputation. These kind of things generally occur at much smaller studios that are still learning and dealing with growing pains, I mean, at least most of the time.

Good point. All I can hope for is that they manage to get it polished up just enough to deliver at least a decent sequel.

I really hope this whole project doesn't crash and burn

Dying Light was good but I think it was pretty overrated. The core gameplay was fairly enjoyable but all the quests were basically the same and the combat got old quickly. Leads probably wanted to do everything and had no real direction for the sequel.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Criggy Avellone has that much power? I thought he was just the narrative designer? Might cop the first one after that fake PS+ leak since it seems fun. Hope it all works out, no one should be made to suffer making a game.

iorek21

I hope they pull themselves together and come up with a solution for their problems

Dying Light 2 shows a lot of promise, and it would be pretty sad if they failed

Project lead is trying to create a dynamic world and a dynamic narrative to that changing world. It probably means once they implement the dynamic world event they have to go back and redo narrative scripts to account for the new change with different or the same characters now acting under a different situation. .

They were inspired by that one 2d indie game with the dynamic world that reacts to everything.. can't remember the name of it... Dwarf Fortress or something?

It always sounded way too ambitious when they described it two years ago. Also, the gameplay they showed looked fake to me. It appears that may be the case, unfortunately.

Arun1910

Agile project management with scope definition problem at its finest :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Which should stop after a certain point when it is a project like this.

I really hope this isn't true. This team is so passionate about their IP.

Project lead is trying to create a dynamic world and a dynamic narrative to that changing world. It probably means once they implement the dynamic world event they have to go back and redo narrative scripts to account for the new change with different or the same characters now acting under a different situation. .

They were inspired by that one 2d indie game with the dynamic world that reacts to everything.. can't remember the name of it... Dwarf Fortress or something?

It always sounded way too ambitious when they described it two years ago. Also, the gameplay they showed looked fake to me. It appears that may be the case, unfortunately.

So basically branching paths for the storyline? I mean, that seems like something you decide upon on initial development and not when the game is far along in development.

Kronos9x

The parkour system was a bad decision imo. It completely changed the focus of the gameplay. You can't make any innovation without first making sure it works with the parkour. The whole story is tied with the parkour. It puts a limitation into the gameplay.

People who love this parkour system are part of the problem. At some point, DL stopped being a zombie survival game and turned into some cheap, generic mirror's edge/ arcadey brawler.

I guess since they want to try something new and ambitious with DL2 they realized that making the same game with the same hardware is pointless, but a next gen Dying Light 2 might be a better option.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
giphy.gif

Reactions: Gp1

Fbh

Not too surprising, it was clear something was off when it went from "spring 2020" to being delayed indefinitely.

Still, this sucks. The first one was great if a bit rough around the edges. Hopefully it's one of those rare cases that manages to come out of dev hell and still do fine.

Sota4077

Shakka43

Didn't this shit happen with

You shouldn't be. Probably won't even see a release like Dead Rising 2.
Dead Island 2 you mean? I was pretty hyped for that one too but then they showed the sandbox gameplay and honestly a no release seemed like the better option lol.

So basically branching paths for the storyline? I mean, that seems like something you decide upon on initial development and not when the game is far along in development.
The problem is truly branching storylines are easier said than done. Most games have a 'If player does A: then A scenario, Else: B scenario' setup that they intentionally design to lead to the same destination or event with slightly different outcomes or people. And that's usually in a linear game.

Try to imagine Skyrim having a branching storyline depending on whether you killed a particular character and that changing an entire city and then that city changing changes the characters in it... Which domino effects throughout the entire game. I'm not saying DL2 was going for this extent but its not far off from what they described.

The problem is truly branching storylines are easier said than done. Most games have a 'If player does A: then A scenario, Else: B scenario' setup that they intentionally design to lead to the same destination or event with slightly different outcomes or people. And that's usually in a linear game.

Try to imagine Skyrim having a branching storyline depending on whether you killed a particular character and that changing an entire city and then that city changing changes the characters in it... Which domino effects throughout the entire game. I'm not saying DL2 was going for this extent but its not far off from what they described.
So they wanted it on that level of dynamic? Sweet mother, that's a tall order to create, let alone when midway through development. Why the FUCK would they make that change unless the game was lacking (which it looked like).

Gamernyc78

Banned
For shame if its true. Loved dying light 1 .

Main article :

This happens alot in the workplace. The new thing in workplaces this gen and in mine too is getting everyone to give an opinion but guess what? Everyone thinks different, has different view/paradigms and tht actually convolutes and slows down projects. You pay ppl to be experts, let them be fucking experts and stop trying to please and include everyone.

Jayjayhd34

Not believing... Attacking studios seems like the next craze within social media. The looks incredible and very ambiguous so im not surprised its had a few delays.

Damn. Really dissapointing to hear.

I just restarted the Following-dlc co-op with my friend. It's one of the greatest co-op games on PS4 and we just talked how much we wait the sequel.

Top Bottom