• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait it out. There's still a few weeks before these consoles come out and we actually see for ourselves what they're good and what they're bad at, when the inevitable leaks come. No point making sudden decisions right now.

Yeah. I probably won't cancel it today. I will a few days before PS4 launch if nothing changes, though.

I think it's very possible. Most developers might just think it's easier to run at 720p on Xbone and use the same assets. With time and effort it should be able to manage 900p to the PS4's 1080p but the easy (read: cheap) option will probably seem very appealing to many developers.

part of the problem I would imagine is that they feel they don't need to make a game 1080p and have the xbox to the up scaling for them. All speculation, but why waste money on developing something 1080p when the box can just upscale?

shandy706

Wow you read my mind.

I love the xbox but I'm not putting up with sub hd for 6 years.

Ugh I'm gonna miss halo and gears :(

Technically, 720p is HD.

If you mean sub-1080p....well..

It's probably best you just build a gaming PC. The PS4 isn't going to push every game at 1080p either.

Out of curiousity, as I haven't been able to keep up with this as much as usual, has there been any word on the PS4 front if games such as COD will use dedicated servers like the XBO versions? I really want to move my copy over to the PS4 version, but that's a big thing for me personally.

Here's the thing about the less powerful consoles usually winning the console wars: they're also usually cheaper because of the less powerful architecture. It is the opposite right now.

Cragvis

2013-10-23_0943.png

index.php

Out of curiousity, as I haven't been able to keep up with this as much as usual, has there been any word on the PS4 front if games such as COD will use dedicated servers like the XBO versions? I really want to move my copy over to the PS4 version, but that's a big thing for me personally.

All versions have dedicated servers. MS doesn't want you knowing that though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
They can still save themselves with pricing, it'll take kinectless bundles for $299 or $350. This probably won't happen, or won't happen for a long time though.

If they were serious about saving Xbone they'd have already announced a Kinect-less bundle. This generation is going to be a bloodbath, and I feel sorry for anyone spending $500 on Xbone at launch because it's going to be a wasteland in a few years time.

Orayn

CoD Ghosts does have dedicated servers on PS4, but MS moneyhatted any mention of this fact.

FeiRR

Banned
The problem with folks around here is that you guys think everyone is like you. If everyone was like you, Wii would not have sold 100 mil+ and dominated the 1st half of last generation.

If everyone was like you, Wii's 480i/p res would have mattered... the PC would be the lead and dominant platform for every single 3rd party game, including EA's sports titles... Call of Duty would not be the #1 seller... Just Dance, Skylanders, Mario Kart, 3DS, etc. would not have dominated the charts.

Some multiplatform games will be 720p/720p on xb1/ps4, some will be 720p/900p, some 720p/1080p, 900p/1080p, and a bunch 1080p/1080p. Will it matter? To the hardcore, sure. To the soccer moms, to the kiddies, to the dude bros... not a chance.

It's not a question of power or specs or fanboy wetdream wars. It's a function of simply how many resources Microsoft is willing to invest to get to 30%, 40%, 50% or whatever market share their ultimate goal is. My bet is they are going to be willing to spend whatever it takes to be the market leader in this segment because the stakes are higher than ever and the value of the piece of pie they are after will potentially return more than ever before (because now we're talking *real* revenue from services on top of games... we're talking a digital pie that includes the itunes, the hulus, the netflix's, the digital games and apps downloads, etc., and more things in the future like ipTV, phone/skype dominance, etc.).

They will money hat as many exclusives as necessary... they will open as many studios as necessary.. .they will bundle and price drop as much as necessary... they will break as many fanboy hearts as necessary to beat Sony and, by relation, you the Sony holdout dreamer. Your salty tears and hate will simply fuel their fire. You will try to vote with your wallets and your voice, but your wallets/voice will get trampled by the XB1 gravy train laden with the soccer mom's and dudebro's hooing and hawing their way to a connected, metro-interfaced future.

You will lose. In fact, you have already lost.

speech-fail.jpg

You didn't even view the full-resolution image. The texture is horrible, but it doesn't mean the rendering resolution is sub-720. There is no correlation to texture resolution and rendering resolution.

Here is the 1080p image:

i know this is multiplayer and everything but the textures ( especially on the left side of teh picture ) look very bad IMO.

BlooCat

Neo Member
Here's the thing about the less powerful consoles usually winning the console wars: they're also usually cheaper because of the less powerful architecture. It is the opposite right now.

There's stuff like splurging on R&D for stuff that everyone hates and marketing to consider as well as trying to be an American technology company in 2013

There_there_robot.gif

I know, esp when 4k becomes cheaper and the standard it's already confirmed that the PS4 will out put to 4k. I think they put to much reliance on the cloud and now were getting shafted for it. The fact that they haven't come up with a press announcement for this lends even more creditability to it being true. Usually Microsoft will out right deny something is false pretty fast.

NO
Maybe in some arcade games with bad graphics like super stardust hd on ps3, but no
A gtx 780 (2x ps4 gpu) barely gets 30-40 fps at 4k in recent games, and that is with way more memory bandwidth than ps4 has.

I'm going to repost this here from the Titanfall rumor thread, because it's dead as hell. I believe the same applies to this thread, and want to have others' takes on this.

Once more, a grain of salt and all that. TechGAF, please correct me if I'm way off base.

that seems the most likely situation. we'll know soon, but it looks like right now, all the games using deferred lighting are sub 1080p.

again, I'd love people to tell me why Killer Instinct is 720p. What I've seen of that is two characters + lots of particle effects. There's nothing that explains why that *should* be 720p either, and that's an exclusive.

IN&OUT

Banned
part of the problem I would imagine is that they feel they don't need to make a game 1080p and have the xbox to the up scaling for them. All speculation, but why waste money on developing something 1080p when the box can just upscale?

PS3/X360 all have upscalers, it's not something new at all. also upscaling does not give the same effect as native at all, not even close.

The problem with folks around here is that you guys think everyone is like you. If everyone was like you, Wii would not have sold 100 mil+ and dominated the 1st half of last generation.

If everyone was like you, Wii's 480i/p res would have mattered... the PC would be the lead and dominant platform for every single 3rd party game, including EA's sports titles... Call of Duty would not be the #1 seller... Just Dance, Skylanders, Mario Kart, 3DS, etc. would not have dominated the charts.

Some multiplatform games will be 720p/720p on xb1/ps4, some will be 720p/900p, some 720p/1080p, 900p/1080p, and a bunch 1080p/1080p. Will it matter? To the hardcore, sure. To the soccer moms, to the kiddies, to the dude bros... not a chance.

It's not a question of power or specs or fanboy wetdream wars. It's a function of simply how many resources Microsoft is willing to invest to get to 30%, 40%, 50% or whatever market share their ultimate goal is. My bet is they are going to be willing to spend whatever it takes to be the market leader in this segment because the stakes are higher than ever and the value of the piece of pie they are after will potentially return more than ever before (because now we're talking *real* revenue from services on top of games... we're talking a digital pie that includes the itunes, the hulus, the netflix's, the digital games and apps downloads, etc., and more things in the future like ipTV, phone/skype dominance, etc.).

They will money hat as many exclusives as necessary... they will open as many studios as necessary.. .they will bundle and price drop as much as necessary... they will break as many fanboy hearts as necessary to beat Sony and, by relation, you the Sony holdout dreamer. Your salty tears and hate will simply fuel their fire. You will try to vote with your wallets and your voice, but your wallets/voice will get trampled by the XB1 gravy train laden with the soccer mom's and dudebro's hooing and hawing their way to a connected, metro-interfaced future.

Microsoft can't afford to lay down the $$ like before. M$ is in serious trouble. People (board and share holders) want m$ to drop xbox division - it aint profitable.

Wolfie5

Nice, a new meme.

that seems the most likely situation. we'll know soon, but it looks like right now, all the games using deferred lighting are sub 1080p.

again, I'd love people to tell me why Killer Instinct is 720p. What I've seen of that is two characters + lots of particle effects. There's nothing that explains why that *should* be 720p either, and that's an exclusive.

1080p must be a microtransaction you have to purchase lol

Oh he's fun. Can we keep him??
:)

ih5YwU35u5LiW.gif

Meia

The only thing that confuses me is the camp that says the game looks awful. Were people really expecting a next gen looking game since it's still tied to this gen, or were people actually expecting them to release MASSIVELY upgraded graphics at a fraction of the user base? I'm just shocked they're even bothering with an Xbox One or PS4 version of the game. :p

Still, not a good sign that they either were unable or unwilling to get this version of the game up to 1080, if this is as true as it looks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom