• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vire

i love it. but its not perfect. i dont like the direction halo has taken since reach, but its still great. and, 4 plays better then reach in a lot of ways even if it fucked up more stuff.

so, yes i do. i hope 5 returns to halo's roots so to speak, but as long as it has the core of halo i think i'll always love it even if its not exactly what i want and even if i vehemently disagree with some design choices.

Man that is just a lot to swallow just to play something that vaguely resembles Halo multiplayer.

I mean I'm one of the biggest Halo fans out there, honestly.

But I am most certainly not willing to compromise on:

A. An inferior system that costs more money

B. Third party games looking significantly worse.

and most importantly...

C. Halo 4 multiplayer was a shift towards Call of Duty style gameplay, I really fucking hated the direction they took the series and it just didn't feel like Halo. Between the speed of the game, load outs, and leveling up to unlock weapons/armor abilities - I was actually pretty disgusted.

So with Bungie moving on, I think it's time for me too. Naughty Dog being exclusive to the other platform certainly made the choice easier for me as well.

I plan on getting an Xbox One, but much later down the road once the price has dropped to something the hardware is actually worth.

Just because a video is 1080p doesn't mean the game is 1080p native.

The ONLY footage of the PS4 version is from the IGN video posted today.

The XB1 version however has been made playable to the public at Gamescom and the EB Expo.
Their are literally hundreds of impressions,videos,etc... of the XB1 version all over the internet of the game from those two events.

They were calling it the XB1 version, but has the game ever been seen running on an actual XB1? I'm not aware if it has.

I specifically remember it being reported a couple months ago at the Ghosts multiplayer event that the game was shown "on PC's emulating the XB1 hardware".

dreamfall

Sorry I don't want to spoil myself on the great story so Im not watching

i4x5akVQtMiBQ.gif

Baha, so goooood! dat sarcasm is appreciated!

Ok.

Well, fuck being coy, obviously this is the rumor I heard. It's really thin, guys. Really thin. I want two sources on anything I post here or talk about on my podcast but this I really, really wanted two sources on. And there's a few wrinkles to it as well which are interesting (if they are true). I just cannot say whether it's true or not and this is obviously a huge fucking deal. Sales are at stake. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if MS put a goddamn hit out on me.

Anyway, this is the rumor. And it's thin. It's fucking thin. To be completely honest I don't believe it. I mean... it's just weird. Anyway - supposedly Activision is doing a controlled environment review process that only huge ass games can get away with. What I heard was you got to chose a version.... either xbox one or PS4 and you didn't get to see the other one. You then go in and play it at their setup for a certain number of hours and that's it. Someone who saw the Xbox one version claims it's 720p.

Did this person count pixels? Is this known info they are telling people? Is it upscaled? I don't know the answers to any of these questions. It doesn't even make sense to me... CoD is a pretty shitty looking game, why in the hell could it not run at 1080p? I feel like if they took the time they could get the 360 version at 1080p if they wanted to... the engine is older than me. But, that's what was said.

It's impossible to get a second source because everyone is, obviously, under NDA. No one wants to get blacklisted by Activision.

And now for my opinion....

Driveclub being delayed I was pretty damn certain on. It wasn't a flimsy rumor like this. But the one thing that I'm noticing here is that the non-responses are the same. I was nervous about the driveclub thing because I was out here by myself with some random ass site I never heard of (kudos to them for being right though) and if the info ended up being wrong I was going to look like a huge asshole. Each non-answer given made me feel better about being right.

If the game is running at 1080p there's no reason to give non-answers. That's not info you want to hide. So looking at it from this angle - the rumor exists and non answers are given - I feel like that gives credence to the rumor.

But... but... but...! I've been right about a lot of shit. I should have never teased this because this rumor is fucking flimsy. More flimsy than PS4 in October which the entire internet believed. I'm not saying it's true. I expect 900p to be honest. That's a guess. I don't know. I do know there is a lot of chatter about the xbox struggling to hit 1080p.

Also, why the fuck not, Titanfall has been rumored to be targeting 720p on the xbox one as well. I'm sure that probably came up in this thread already by someone... but, yeah, that rumor seems more solid than this CoD one.
thank you or the info drop.

I doubt you can answer this, but does this person have any track record at all at identifying resolutions? Lots of people play games and claim the resolution and framerate is something they are not. Generally I don't trust people unless they've got a bit of a track record at these things.

But those non denials... they are so compelling. At this point even coming out and saying 'It's 900p. I don't know if the PS4 version is more.' would be better than what Panello came out with.

Ok.

Well, fuck being coy, obviously this is the rumor I heard. It's really thin, guys. Really thin. I want two sources on anything I post here or talk about on my podcast but this I really, really wanted two sources on. And there's a few wrinkles to it as well which are interesting (if they are true). I just cannot say whether it's true or not and this is obviously a huge fucking deal. Sales are at stake. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if MS put a goddamn hit out on me.

Anyway, this is the rumor. And it's thin. It's fucking thin. To be completely honest I don't believe it. I mean... it's just weird. Anyway - supposedly Activision is doing a controlled environment review process that only huge ass games can get away with. What I heard was you got to chose a version.... either xbox one or PS4 and you didn't get to see the other one. You then go in and play it at their setup for a certain number of hours and that's it. Someone who saw the Xbox one version claims it's 720p.

Did this person count pixels? Is this known info they are telling people? Is it upscaled? I don't know the answers to any of these questions. It doesn't even make sense to me... CoD is a pretty shitty looking game, why in the hell could it not run at 1080p? I feel like if they took the time they could get the 360 version at 1080p if they wanted to... the engine is older than me. But, that's what was said.

It's impossible to get a second source because everyone is, obviously, under NDA. No one wants to get blacklisted by Activision.

Driveclub being delayed I was pretty damn certain on. It wasn't a flimsy rumor like this. But the one thing that I'm noticing here is that the non-responses are the same. I was nervous about the driveclub thing because I was out here by myself with some random ass site I never heard of (kudos to them for being right though) and if the info ended up being wrong I was going to look like a huge asshole. Each non-answer given made me feel better about being right.

If the game is running at 1080p there's no reason to give non-answers. That's not info you want to hide. So looking at it from this angle - the rumor exists and non answers are given - I feel like that gives credence to the rumor.

But... but... but...! I've been right about a lot of shit. I should have never teased this because this rumor is fucking flimsy. More flimsy than PS4 in October which the entire internet believed. I'm not saying it's true. I expect 900p to be honest. That's a guess. I don't know. I do know there is a lot of chatter about the xbox struggling to hit 1080p.

Also, why the fuck not, Titanfall has been rumored to be targeting 720p on the xbox one as well. I'm sure that probably came up in this thread already by someone... but, yeah, that rumor seems more solid than this CoD one.

So there is a big difference if they have to control which version you can only see...

and aiming 720p on titanfall... hoo boy.

The Hermit

Ok.

That controlled environment review thing... damn.

The worst part is that COD looks bad on the PS4.

IN&OUT

Banned
Ok.

I think you slipped another MEGATON trying to clear this :)

kuYuri

Ok.

So are you saying that you still don't know shit, but you ran with it anyway?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The PS4 version is 1080p, it's featured on IGN, can we stop this?

Depends...

It's always funny watching how some people react to IGN around here based on the information that they give.

Note: I actually believe that the PS4 is running at a higher resolution than the Xbox.

netBuff

The XB1 version however has been made playable to the public at Gamescom and the EB Expo.
Their are literally hundreds of impressions,videos,etc... of the XB1 version all over the internet of the game from those two events.

You are grasping at straws: All we have seen so far is PC footage played with Xbone controller (= these conferences), and PS4 footage. IGN and Eurogamer are both claiming a 1080p resolution for that version, and there's also that Forbes article mentioning a noticeable difference between Xbone and PS4 version.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
thank you or the info drop.

I doubt you can answer this, but does this person have any track record at all at identifying resolutions? Lots of people play games and claim the resolution and framerate is something they are not. Generally I don't trust people unless they've got a bit of a track record at these things.

But those non denials... they are so compelling. At this point even coming out and saying 'It's 900p. I don't know if the PS4 version is more.' would be better than what Panello came out with.

Exactly. It's also important to realize the game is finished. It's gone gold. That means there can't be anyting along the lines of "they are shooting for 1080p on the x1". The resolution is finalize and we still get non answers. Not good.

And that makes me, in your eyes, silly, uninformed, and a worshipper of Microsoft? Come on now. Hear me now, believe me later, the PS4 is a very attractive piece of hardware. I do not dispute that at all. I very may well get one somewhere down the road. I once owned a PS2 and played Killzone on it and loved it. I've been watching the franchise ever since and I saw the new K:SF campaign trailer today and got serious goosebumps from it. I'd love to play K:SF but that means that I would have to get a PS4 which at the moment, in the here and now, I have no desire to do that. I can't make myself want something that I don't want right now, you know what I mean?

Sounds like your loyalty lies more with the brand than with the games. I used to be like that, and I am a Sony head but with the PS3 I waited until it was cheaper and worth paying for. But if X1' exclusives are making you want one badly then kudos to you.

unortunately ill be buying both since I have no self control and X1 has dead rising and ruse :-/

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Titanfall rumored at 720p is more of a story. It's being worked on by the main team at Respawn, I'm sure they have tons of resources from EA, and it's running on the fucking Source engine.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah, besides the jokes and funny gifs, this is the real meat of the implications. Buttocks was warning all of us of how fucked up things were at MS, and apparently there wasn't enough time to iron things out properly.

The XBOX1 can have amazing graphics, like Killer Instinc (the only launch game that I care of both consoles) yet if this is true, then multiplatform games will suffer much more than we think.

I can't wait for Assassins Creed 4 and Watch Dogs threads...

It's going to be wild, to say the least. I knew there were problems and I knew XBO versions would look worse in some ways, I just never expected a massive resolution gap like this. That's a huge difference, much bigger than some of the differences between most multiplatform games on 360 and PS3.

Here's hoping it's false *fingers crossed*

I love that your actually implying that one should work oneself up into a frenzy once it has been confirmed.(if????)

I just mean if he is already working himself into a frenzy, he might as well wait until we get actual confirmation.

1. Maybe not, but it's absolutely something that can affect sales when it comes to "the most powerful" and schoolyard discussions/arguments.

2. Side by side, I think you'll absolutely be able to tell the difference. At home? I honestly don't know. Is the whole TV size a true thing where unless it's over something like 50 inches you'll be able to tell the difference between 720 and 1080? I'm skeptical.

3. I don't think it says anything about the XBox hardware other than these are the first gen games and if the rumor is true, that development was able to get more out of the PS4 than they were the XBox One quicker. If previous COD's are any indication, then I think the next round will have those particular games on par with each other. I think when gen 2 games come out, we'll see what these consoles are really able to do. Personally, I think the PS4 is the more powerful machine and we will see more instances of multiplatform games showing the discrepancy in terms of frame rate or resolution.

1. Oh sure, but I just mean I can't see this game being the catalyst. I can't see the long term effect on sales being anything but the tiniest blip. Consumers are going to make their minds up about the platform for reasons far more critical than this.

2. I dunno. Every time I try to show one of my non-gamer friends the difference between SD and HD channels some of them STILL don't notice lol

3. Yeah I think obviously the gap in XBO and Ps4 power will show throughout the generation, but I don't think we'll keep seeing things like this happen for games that look like CoD: Ghosts. I think this is about the added complexity in the hardware and how it means a game trying to make a harsh deadline had more trouble on XBO than PS4. Which everyone should know would be the case by now anyway.

I am inclined to follow your theory that most people won't notice. I am quite resolution and IQ blind myself. I will happily watch non-HD channels when HD is available to me (UK here so broadcast difference isn't that great between HD and SD)

However we are at a point where high attention gamers, people who read reviews, investigate stuff and will know about a huge resolution downgrade will hold sway. They are going to be getting the best console for them and recommending to friends and family which one is better, Xbox or Playstation. Only a small percentage of gamers are going to be buying a console at or near launch, there opinion will hold a lot of sway and they can't all be fanboys.

Remembering COD is a mass market (casual) game it might be the only one many players are interested in and if word gets out it is better on PS4 then I think we could see XBone stall at launch (in comparison to PS4). If Madden and FIFA suffer form 720p it could be a catastrophe for MS.

Of course in any other industry we could expect the press to give an accurate summary of the situation but since Games Journalism is pretty much an oxymoronic term, who knows what mainstream perception will be, assuming 720p is true.

That's very true. The following things have to happen: One, this news has to be confirmed. Without it being confirmed, it'll just die until launch day, until which time it'll be too late to change potential sales for the most part. Game Journalists have to do their job and follow up on this story, if there is indeed a story.

Even though CoD is as mainstream as a series can be, I still believe that most consumers won't make their purchasing decisions based on a cross gen game they could just as easily get on 360 or PS3. Maybe I'm wrong, though... I sometimes have trouble seeing into the mind of the casuals :p

Holy shit. This thread is going places lol.

Thanks for following up, Mortimer.

Also, very interesting to see who all is okay with this development. I know some of the 720p is fine posts were a joke, but I see several posts about how 720p will allow them to do better lighting and shit... No. The Xbox One is weaker. If you were buying it for multiplats, don't. Get a PS4. If you want exclusive games for the system (like I do), then feel free to keep your preorder. But don't sport intellectually dishonest arguments to try and soften the blow. This, if true, is a disaster.

Also, 720p vs 1080p is a huge difference in motion, IMO. Screenshots simply don't do it justice. I can't imagine a scenario where this potential news would be met with a "meh," as CoD remains one of the largest franchises in gaming. Even if you personally don't care about the game, I feel that you have to be engaging in some serious mental gymnastics to fail to see that this is a big deal.

And that makes me, in your eyes, silly, uninformed, and a worshipper of Microsoft? Come on now. Hear me now, believe me later, the PS4 is a very attractive piece of hardware. I do not dispute that at all. I very may well get one somewhere down the road. I once owned a PS2 and played Killzone on it and loved it. I've been watching the franchise ever since and I saw the new K:SF campaign trailer today and got serious goosebumps from it. I'd love to play K:SF but that means that I would have to get a PS4 which at the moment, in the here and now, I have no desire to do that. I can't make myself want something that I don't want right now, you know what I mean?

Flash, I'm not going to defend those who blasted you, but you shouldn't had written a huegwalloftext to comment on this. You're just inviting attention at that point.

Should had just been "sucks that XB1 is weaker, but unfortunately MS makes all my favorite first-party games, so I'll deal with an inferior multiplatform console."

Or just don't say anything. XB1 gamers already know beforehand that they're going to get a weaker console, and ones like yourself have no problems with that because you want Halo, Forza and Gears, specifically.

Skeff

No, CoD still hasn't been played on XB1, it has always been the PC build.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
All you cod trolls. Why don't you admit that infinity ward is the pink Floyd or perhaps the nickleback (all time greatest band) of our time

ascii42

Ok.

900p would be believable as well. If your source wasn't pixel counting, they may have just noticed it didn't look 1080p and guessed 720p. Titanfall targeting 720p is surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom