• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Xbox One version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is 720p, PS4 version is 1080p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad am not the only one who feels that way.

From the look of it, MS seems like a company that have just start it up. New baby, Not That big company we all knew and thought they will never make such stupid decision as this.

This is 2013, In about 3 years the cell phones/Tablet will have better spec then these consoles. WTF were they thinking. How can this console last for 10 years?
Yea im still holding on hope its not true, but right now I just feel like letting it go and getting a ps4 on the 15th lol. All the white lies and stuff, I dont play that shit.

Jomjom

Banned
I don't know how they still have any momentum. 100 bucks more expensive than the competition, significantly less powerful, can't get marquee titles to full hd, kinect only working in a handful of countries, and essentially confirmation that the OS and hardware were thrown together in a panicked response to sony's unveil earlier this year. Who the fuck is still buying this thing?

Even people here on GAF who are extremely knowledgeable don't care, do you really think the general public will care much less know about any of this?

thekingff

Banned
Maybe... 3rd party relations? Knowing how their developer tools are fairing for console release?

What exactly would that entail though? A conversation and maybe some training? Why would a company like Activision feel the need to provide a build of their game to MS, Sony, or Nintendo? I just think that it is ridiculous to think that these companies have a tremendous amount of input on a game they are not funding.

Swedish website Loading.se are reporting on this.

Nya rykten om Call of Duty - 1080p på PS4 men 720p på Xbox One
Det har dykt upp nya rykten om Call of Duty: Ghosts till PS4 och Xbox One.
Vi vet redan att spelet går i 60 bilder per sekund på båda formaten.
Nu kommer uppgifter från källor som säger att spelet visas i 720p på Xbox One. Vi vet att spelet visas i 1080p på PS4.
De här uppgifterna har inte bekräftats men kommer från källor som tidigare har haft rätt information.
Enligt samma källor kommer Titanfall också vara 720p på Xbox One.
Call of Duty: Ghosts kommer att släppas den 5 november till PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U och Windows. Spelet är också bekräftat till PS4 och Xbox One och släpps till de konsolerna i samband med att de lanseras.

No new info just what we are saying on Gaf and a link to this thread.

Bishop89

I don't know how they still have any momentum. 100 bucks more expensive than the competition, significantly less powerful, can't get marquee titles to full hd, kinect only working in a handful of countries, and essentially confirmation that the OS and hardware were thrown together in a panicked response to sony's unveil earlier this year. Who the fuck is still buying this thing?

wait wait... whats this?

is that true? lmao.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Even people here on GAF who are extremely knowledgeable don't care, do you really think the general public will care much less know about any of this?
I don't think any of this matters for launch or for Ghosts, rather, it serves as an indicator of potential issues down the road. That's really the big concern here.

At this stage, so close to launch, you can GUARANTEE builds are being sent to MS weekly, if not daily.

im sure it needs to pass certification but I doubt anyone is counting pixels and framerate. probably don't care either because they locked up some DLC that can be advertised as a reason to own that version instead of the others.

Ok you guys know I'm an Xbox fan. I've defended them countless times.

If this is true, this is the straw that broke the camels back.

If the Xbox One isn't powerful enough to run Call of Duty Ghosts at 1080p, when in comparison to other games (BF4) it looks like shit...I'm out.

PS4 for me.

Perkel

Banned
It's funny, but Albert said the exact same thing. I wonder why it is such a far fetched idea that MS or Sony doesn't know every detail of the games being developed for their systems. MS isn't developing COD or even publishing it.. what obligation does Activation have to them to keep them updated?

Yeah, like product planning manager don't know how his product and competition product performs. Sorry i don't believe it. I worked in sales for few years and i had to know virually anything about competition products when i had to sell mine.

But who knows MS going into spec wars may be truth that people there don't know how to either sell console or simply they don't know what they have.

MS from start should play Nintendo if they didn't have better spec or simply say like that MS dude earlier that games matter not graphics.

Yes.

This is only going to get worse... 1080p PS4 now means 900p later... Now your hiting sub HD levels in Xbox One. People will notice.

Later on they use all the bells and whistles possible and the PS4 version is 720p.... etc...

Gator86

wait wait... whats this?

is that true? lmao.

Can't recall the exact post but I'm pretty sure it was famous mortimer that posted a short write up about it earlier. MS was planning a late fall/early spring 2014 launch then scrambled to catch up with Sony.

PKrockin

Everything that happened to MS this year is on them. That 2 weeks between their X1 reveal and E3 was filled with some of the most cringe-worthy PR quotes, mixed messaging and horrible brand representatives we have seen in the gaming industry in a while.

Why do people get pissed when gaf sides with the company that is doing the right things?

I agree with you.

If the Xbox One isn't powerful enough to run Call of Duty Ghosts at 1080p, when in comparison to other games (BF4) it looks like shit...I'm out.

PS4 for me.
Thats how many of us now 3? lol..indeed the straw breaking that back. Why would I pay for another 360?

PS4 for me.
42306_zps28d4fa91.gif

Anyway, I doubt if this ends up being the case it relates so much to the power of the system (although that presumably contributes) as it does to the architecture of the system. All because they needed a safe route to 8GB or RAM.

Yoday

I want to know who the first major site is to report this is. Fear of an Activision or Microsoft blacklist is pretty goddamn huge.
I'll be surprised if any of them do. Most of the big sites have been making it a point to stay as neutral as possible, and almost never bring up the power gap. Digital Foundry/Eurogamer are pretty much the only ones that comment on it at all.

On the podcast side not a single soul talks about it from any of the big sites. They continue to tell people that the hardware is identical, and pretend that the difference just doesn't exist. All of the big sites reported on the Edge article when it went up a few months ago, but they all buried it as quickly as they could and not a single one of them reported on it during their podcasts. The complete lack of reporting leading up to this console launch from all of the big name sites has been absolutely disgusting and really shows just how much the big publishers and console makers control them. I know most of the people that write for these sites are completely incompetent, but this stuff is hard to miss, as most of them mention reading GAF.

The only time I hear about this stuff at all is when Jeff vaguely comments on it during the Bombcast. But even then he only mentions things like the resolution gap as a what if scenario. It's pretty clear that these guys know what is going on, but aren't allowed to say anything.

I fully expect the visual difference to be completely brushed under the rug by most of the big sites, even after launch. The only people that will know there is a difference are those that read informed forums, visit Digital Foundry, or have both systems and can compare, and MS is counting on that.

Barzul

PS4 for me.

I've already made the decision to just upgrade my GPU, will flip my Day One and pick up another one come Halo 5. This news is disappointing, but I'm not going to be a guinea pig for what looks like a very unprepared launch from MS. Titanfall might get me though as I prefer shooters on the console, but we'll see.

NotUS

It doesn't matter if this is true or not.

There is a real perception that Xbone is a weak console and that 720p or 900p is expected on the Xbone, and 1080p on the PS4.

There is no expectation any game will be 720p on the PS4.

If 720 for COD is true and the comparisons show significant visual differences, this will be severely damaging for Microsoft as every game retailer, every game magazine, every friend of a friend will recommend the PS4.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

PS4 for me.

mattrickps4on42yut.gif

We'll just have to wait and see but that seems rather optimistic. It should hopefully operate more smoothly than Black Ops 2 but will it better smoother than 360? That I don't expect.

Optimistic, but it's been done before where a WiiU version outpaces the PS360 version of a game, NFS:MWU. It all comes down to how well or much effort Treyarch puts into it. If they just take the 360 version and slap it on the WiiU, then yes, I wouldn't be shocked if it doesn't run as well. But tif they take advantage of the hardware, no reason it can't perform better or on par.

Mohonky

So:

Ghosts at 720p = IW problems
Ryse at 900p = Crytek problems
Titanfall 720p = Respawn problems

... how long will that game go on for?

To be fair, all of this generation it was 'lazy developers' or otherwise 'developer problems' when a PS3 version was inferior to the Xbox360 version when the culprit really was that Sony went out of their way to make some crazy unorthodox architecture that wasnt aligned with anything else.

This time round though it does seem MS screwed the pooch so far as hardware.

Though i thought we always knew Titanfall was 720p, I figured that was non-news at this point?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

PS4 for me.

Yep. I feel the same way. I really do want to support MS but if their machine is that gimped that it can't do even basic games at 1080p then I'm out too. Fuck MS and the stupid team who decided to go for a super gimped GPU.

Look, I get some people claim such amazing eyesight as to be able to instantly distinguish native vs. upscaled when you're in a room watching and enjoying a game demo, despite the fact that it requires normal people access to a direct feed screenshot with very particular sections zoomed up 8x to pixel count, while also making sure you're accounting for other intentional environmental effects that may blur or otherwise impact the image.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=680289&highlight=pixel+counting

But hey, if you're saying you can tell the difference with enough accuracy to make a public disclosure about it, just by watching someone play the game, then I say wow.

I've seen a bunch of other 3rd party games running at various times, and I can't tell you the *native* resolutions of those either.

So me, I'm not making that claim. I'm sorry if you think that's a job requirement.

Native RES > Upscaled RES...

The fact that your games now are underdelivering has gotten to the point where MS employees shouldn't be seen in broad daylight.

Brofield

I'll be surprised if any of them do. Most of the big sites have been making it a point to stay as neutral as possible, and almost never bring up the power gap. Digital Foundry/Eurogamer are pretty much the only ones that comment on it at all.

Knew I wasn't crazy thinking that there is a noticeable power gap between PS4 and Xbone. Is there any collection of the articles from DF and Eurogamer that talk about the differences in specs? Or is it just a simple google search away?

Yep. I feel the same way. I really do want to support MS but if their machine is that gimped that it can't do even basic games at 1080p then I'm out too. Fuck MS and the stupid team who decided to go for a super gimped GPU.
Whats even more funny is I dont care if the PS4 version turns out to be 720p too. I dont give a damn. We already have proof of Killzone doing 1080p 60fps in multiplayer. Yet even titanfall doing the struggle... please.

iMax

I'm heavily invested in Microsoft IP, like Halo, Alan Wake, Gears, etc... so nothing will stop me buying an Xbox One, that's for sure.

However, after this likely revelation (and countless others), the PS4 is looking to be the multiplat lead console in my house.

Drencrom

Man these threads crack me up. Well done on the Nickelback gif.

I'm not going to convince anyone differently, but it's funny how people interpret the tweet as confirmation.

[...]

Wow, that's a horrible attempt at damage control. He pretty much confirmed the rumor with this PR answer.

On the podcast side not a single soul talks about it from any of the big sites. They continue to tell people that the hardware is identical, and pretend that the difference just doesn't exist. All of the big sites reported on the Edge article when it went up a few months ago, but they all buried it as quickly as they could and not a single one of them reported on it during their podcasts. The complete lack of reporting leading up to this console launch from all of the big name sites has been absolutely disgusting and really shows just how much the big publishers and console makers control them. I know most of the people that write for these sites are completely incompetent, but this stuff is hard to miss, as most of them mention reading GAF.

The only time I hear about this stuff at all is when Jeff vaguely comments on it during the Bombcast. But even then he only mentions things like the resolution gap as a what if scenario. It's pretty clear that these guys know what is going on, but aren't allowed to say anything.

I fully expect the visual difference to be completely brushed under the rug by most of the big sites, even after launch. The only people that will know there is a difference are those that read informed forums, visit Digital Foundry, or have both systems and can compare, and MS is counting on that.

this is why journalism needs to distance itself from publisher side of the industry and come back to the consumer side. they shouldn't fear repercussions from the stories they report on.

PS4 for me.

Interesting, not the first person to say this today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom