• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOUR] XBOX slim device dropping in 2015 - only plays windows Store games.

mocoworm

OBVIOUS ERROR IN TITLE: should say 2016

Longtime Microsoft blogger Brad Sams at Petri IT Knowledgebase claims that Xbox could receive an update next year in the form of an ‘Xbox slim’ style device that would make the gaming console more appealing to casual users and cordcutters.

“I have heard from internal sources that the company is considering plans for a lightweight Xbox One that may only be for Windows store games and would compete with the Apple TV, but it’s not clear if these plans have been scrapped.”

https://www.petri.com/microsofts-2016-more-hardware-software-and-cloud

Man

*clicks Windows Store icon on bottom left*
*clicks Games category*

This isn't going anywhere.

GHG

Gold Member
This device should increase the number of Xbox Live users by at least a little bit.

For that, it will be more than worth it.

notaskwid

As I said in the other thread, "nobody" wants this windows store only box. We all seen the success of the PSTV and "playstation" is a much stronger brand overall than "Xbox".

Alx

Windows Store Games? Does that include Xbox One Games or what?

"Windows Store" can mean anything, in the near future it should encompass all windows 10 devices (PC, Xbox, phones, even Hololens), but it doesn't mean any device can run everything from it.

Synth

As I said in the other thread, "nobody" wants this windows store only box. We all seen the success of the PSTV and "playstation" is a much stronger brand overall than "Xbox".

I was about to respond with something along the lines of "well yea, but that's because the PSTV was limited to the dead as fuck Vita's library"... but then I stopped and realised how stupid a counterpoint that would be here.

tmarg

Calling a new product an "Xbox" when it won't play Xbox games would be an even dumber and more confusing branding flub than the Wii U.

aravuus

Why would they even call it an Xbox, then

And yeah, slim Xbone please, wanna get that console possibly some day soon

Synth

Calling a new product an "Xbox" when it won't play Xbox games would be an even dumber and more confusing branding flub than the Wii U.

Well technically...

apps.61153.9007199266242715.02266e52-962c-427a-968c-3f1e3c314849.8e58f43c-98a0-4983-b1fd-af603794c788
apps.45793.13510798885735219.82b71701-018a-4934-bee9-69cd7d8e22f9.4eebdbff-d138-416a-9c81-f641aeca460f
apps.46971.13510798883651177.6d9a83ae-8a21-47d9-b8ba-970a92b76d26.05013df0-ead9-4b62-beed-590a743030d8
apps.21129.9007199266252681.ad96031d-8e15-4833-90df-1b79a28b1059.67363e4b-2996-4193-b5fd-0a7d8b08d42d

:p

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Wouldn't be interested if it can only play Windows Store games.

I want a slim xbox just like every other slim console. The same thing but just lighter/smaller and more efficient.

You know what would make me buy this? Making it an Alienware Alpha style mini PC, with Xbox branding.

Just the windows store as is would be shite, but the XO's innards, minus the BR drive, with full windows 10, for £300 or less? Yeah, I'd buy that.

Especially if they start making more Xbox exclusives available on PC, and make the windows store into a true Steam competitor like I think they might be planning to.

You know what would make me buy this? Making it an Alienware Alpha style mini PC, with Xbox branding.

Just the windows store as is would be shite, but the XO's innards, minus the BR drive, with full windows 10, for £300 or less? Yeah, I'd buy that.

Especially if they start making more Xbox exclusives available on PC, and make the windows store into a true Steam competitor like I think they might be planning to.

Um, you can build your own machine for £300 and put Windows on it yourself?

Rosur

So sounds like an Xbox TV thing to compete with android/ apple TV stuff (like Shield TV and Fire TV etc).

Probably have remote play functionality like the PC app as well.

93xfan

Banned
No one needs to compete with the new Apple TV in terms of games. Most people will just stick with the $69 original model, rather than pay $150 for the latest and greatest, as well as an extra $50 for a controller. Plus, the new Apple TV remote isn't even as capable for games as the 2006 Wiimote. Not to mention they don't have Nintendo putting their top tier games on it.

If it eventually takes off for games... cool. But I'd be very shocked if it did.

Anyway, I think this not having Xbox One support would be a terrible idea, if true.

The funnier thing is, Microsoft thinks there is space for its device on the already over saturated media box space aka chromecast/apple tv/amazon fire. The confusing Xbox branding is just the cherry on the cake.

Why would they waste money with this when it could be spent in so many better ways.

Um, you can build your own machine for £300 and put Windows on it yourself?

I can, but fuck me if that's not a hassle, involve a hell of a lot of worry, be gimped by the high price of Windows, and at the end of the day leave me without the 2-3 year store warranty I like to have incase anything goes wrong with it.

A proper MS produced 'Xbox One' gaming PC would be convenient, risk free, and good value for money. It'd be a bit shite, sure, and I'm certain if I spent months looking for bargains, buying second hand components, and getting a dodgy copy of windows off Reddit, I could make something slightly better for the same price, but the I'd rather just have something almost as good that would only require the effort of nipping to John Lewis one day.

It's part of the reason I've spent 6 months looking at entry level PC components lists, and every time coming back to the Alienware Alpha, which if it'd just go on sale in the UK for once, like it keeps doing in the US, would be perfect for my needs.

True Fire

The funnier thing is, Microsoft thinks there is space for its device on the already over saturated media box space aka chromecast/apple tv/amazon fire. The confusing Xbox branding is just the cherry on the cake.

Why would they waste money with this when it could be spent in so many better ways.

Microsoft has been pretty out of touch recently. Not the programmers; the managers and the corporate suits. The fact that Google and Amazon are becoming more relevant than they are scares them. They're even afraid of Netflix for some reason. It's why the Xbox One was originally plugged as being everything in one box.

blakep267

Not a bad idea at all. The pstv in theory was good just poor execution.

If this can play all the media apps the xb1 can, play windows store games and also remote play stream your xbox one games like you can do on a windows tablet phone etc, i dont see why it wouldnt be good

It also isnt really a competitor to the xb1 but more of a companion machine. Price it at $150, and Id buy one for a second room in my house

Plus by playing windows store games, it would get some First party support by MS since stuff like Killer knstinct, gears ultimate, gigantic, favle legends, recore, sea of thieves are all lainching on windows 10 as well as xb1

Ushay

Windows Store only? This is confusing as fuck..

I can dig a Xbox One Slim with digital only in mind, as I'm also pretty much all digital this gen, but they'd need to do something about the prices, as I've only gone for sales so far. New game prices are a joke in UK..

I feel like this thing would damage the Xbox brand more than anything else.

Care to elaborate? Why would it when there is a SKU with blu-ray in mind? If anything a digital SKU would help lower digital prices and perhaps introduce an online marketplace too.

Would have made sense 4 years ago when the $100 steaming box was the norn.

These days it seems the Apple TV / Roku box market is being eating up by Chromecast and Amzaon Fire stick amd Roku streaming stick.

Top Bottom