• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Running Shareware/Homebrew on the 360: Just pulled it off!

Rhindle

Well sort of ...

I was messing around with the Media Extender interface on the X360, and noticed that the "More Programs" linked to a couple of apps installed on my PC as part of the Media Center Package, including MS Instant Messenger and some other stuff. All of these run when you access them from the 360 Media Extender client. The 360 essentially seems to act as a dumb terminal, interfacing with the application running on the PC.

Here's where things really get interesting: It's apparently very easy to integrate Windows applications into the MCE "More Programs" tab. All you have to do is build a link in a format specified by Microsoft and do some minor optimization, and the app will run in MCE. Here is how MS describes the process of building games for MCE: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxpmce/html/devgameswinmc.asp

So I downloaded a couple of apps and installed them on MCE, switched over to the 360, and lo and behold, most of them run perfectly. I was able to run apps with modified browsers to pull down news stories, stock quotes, sports scores etc., as well as several Internet Radio clients.

I also tried installing a couple of shareware games, including a Tetris clone and some card games. Interestingly, they all launch on the 360, but crash soon afterwards. My guess is that you could get them to run with some optimization. There even is a MAME emu for MCE out there, though I haven't tried to install it.

My guess is that it will be difficult to get anything other than simple casual games to run in real time using the interface, due to lag in response times. But I would think getting something like a full web browser up and running should be achievable.

jedimike

So the main "legit" reason for modding an Xbox (XBMC), is essentially doable on 360 through MCE? I upgraded my PC to MCE just for these reasons. :D

Pallaris

Interesting...

Btw is that LCD tele one of those new Bravias? Interested in purchasing one myself. How do you find playing on that. Is ghosting an issue? Would be interested to see some games running on there.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Very interesting, but you need Windows XP Media Center Edition or just the downloadable extension for Windows XP ?

Rhindle

jedimike said:
So the main "legit" reason for modding an Xbox (XBMC), is essentially doable on 360 through MCE? I upgraded my PC to MCE just for these reasons. :D
I think you could already do most of the XBMC functions though MC, but this opens up new possibilities!

Pallaris said:
Interesting...

Btw is that LCD tele one of those new Bravias? Interested in purchasing one myself. How do you find playing on that. Is ghosting an issue? Would be interested to see some games running on there.
Yes, it's a Bravia. It's an excellent match for the 360. Ghosting is not an issue ... the panel has an 8ms response time.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
jedimike said:
Well, you still won't be able to play divx/xvid (or dare I say qt) files on Xbox 360 with this. I still hope someone will create a realtime transcoder like videolan/vlc.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
psst. I was told that using ffdshow will allow you to view DivX/mpg over MCE. (apparently) But when installing make sure that you DONT overwrite your Windows Media Video/Audio codecs

Jerkface

Banned
Blimblim said:
Well, you still won't be able to play divx/xvid (or dare I say qt) files on Xbox 360 with this. I still hope someone will create a realtime transcoder like videolan/vlc.

I would imagine someone will figure out how to use this to run XViD/DiVX etc. pretty soon. Pretty cool.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Panajev2001a said:
Very interesting, but you need Windows XP Media Center Edition or just the downloadable extension for Windows XP ?

Edit: ""More Programs" linked to a couple of apps installed on my PC as part of the Media Center Package"

Sorry... :(

I thought that since you were able to stream music from Windows XP.

Developing Games for Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition

Microsoft Corporation

April 2004

Applies to:
Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center Edition

Rhindle

Pana, you need XP Media Center Edition. You can stream music and photos without it using Windows Media Connect, for everything else you need MCE.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Rhindle said:
Pana, you need XP Media Center Edition. You can stream music and photos without it using Windows Media Connect, for everything else you need MCE.

Yeah, but every time I think about... ahem... a copy of Windows Media Center (...they... sometimes sell it without making you buy a new PC... ahem...), I see the $140 price-tage on most places and slowly go back to thinking over it.

The day people manage to run considerably more applications through MCE... it might be the day I do purchase MCE :).

I am tempted to buy it now though... sigh...

Sean

Banned
Can you put the pics up again? Sound neat, but the pics have that imageshack bandwith used logo thing.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
You guys might want to be more attentive going about this because I can imagine that MS would frown upon this sort of thing and would try to fix any exploits via live patches. I'm sure the mod/homebrew community is in full swing though and it will be interesting to see if MS took the proper precautions to prevent such exploits or even slow it down.

Having said that I salivate at the thought of having a modded 360.

joaomgcd

Rhindle, I've hosted the pics myself. If you want you can use these links... These don't run out of bandwidth. :)

p10101994nk.jpg

p10102057cz.jpg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
wow.. the first thing released for the X360 that actually has me interested. nice.

if I actually had more HD content on my hard drive I would be tempted (and MCE which I will probably never install). but right now all the hd shows I download are only like 720 or 640 which run fine on XBMC. as soon as more downloadable HD content becomes available I see myself upgrading to X360 for it.

Juice

Great loophole find, Rhindle.

I can't see how this could really be used maliciously (darn), but still should come up with some unique 360-specific applications down the line.

BTW, hello Slashdot.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
dont think so, i think it works by running an ap on the PC and putting the resulting screen on the 360.

Rhindle

Ghost said:
dont think so, i think it works by running an ap on the PC and putting the resulting screen on the 360.
That's correct. The Xbox just acts as a proxy for the PC running the application. So it is useful for running simple PC-based apps in your living room through your X360, but is not a piracy threat or anything like that.

Smokey

Awesome man. How do you actually change the web url? Do you do it through the 360 or what how does it work.

DopeyFish

how do you even navigate sites on 360? You have no mouse control \=

*Edit: unless of course MCX supports mice then score!

Rhindle

DopeyFish said:
how do you even navigate sites on 360? You have no mouse control \=

*Edit: unless of course MCX supports mice then score!
Yeah, it won't do anything at the moment other than scroll through the web page.

But I'm sure someone with a few programming skillz should be able to create a custom interface that works better with the remote.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Rather then creating a new topic, I figured i'd bump this one.

My father got a Media Center PC for christmas, is it possible to stream DIVX/XVID content over to the 360?
I have it currently linked to the media center PC correctly.

sangreal

Suikoguy said:

My father got a Media Center PC for christmas, is it possible to stream DIVX/XVID content over to the 360?

no

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
sangreal said:

Oh well, figured i'd ask. I saw dopeyfish above mention something about FFDShow, so I figured i'd ask since its been about a month.

jedimike

Suikoguy said:

Yes you can.

http://forums.xbox.com/1235568/ShowPost.aspx

In the link above there is no re-encoding but it is a bit of a p.i.t.a.

You can also just reencode if you want by downloading this converter...

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/Xbox360/

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
OK, I'm usually on top of GAF lingo, but aside from the occasionally delicious Middle-Eastern flatbread pocket, wtf does PITA mean?

Rhindle

jedimike said:
Yes you can.

http://forums.xbox.com/1235568/ShowPost.aspx

In the link above there is no re-encoding but it is a bit of a p.i.t.a.

You can also just reencode if you want by downloading this converter...

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/Xbox360/
As far as I can tell, the poster on the Xbox forum thread is suggesting using Windows Media Encoder to transcode files into ASX format. I've tried that -- it works, but it is pretty slow.

Videora works faster, but threads are trancoded to MPEG2 format, so the file size increases considerably. Also, with HD files for some reason the 360 does not display the correct aspect ratio.

Bottom line is that you can sort of get there with a lot of busywork, but we really need native DIVX/XVID support on the Xbox.

DopeyFish

has nobody tried using FFDSHOW yet? :/

make sure it doesn't overwrite the WMV codecs but apparently IT SHOULD PLAY DivX/Xvid

(i've only said it 5000 times now, but apparently it does work)

Top Bottom