• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Running Wilde |OT| of Hurwitz, Cross, and Arnett do good for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

vk4VB.png

(Tuesdays, 9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT)

From the Emmy Award-winning creator and the star of the critically acclaimed FOX series “Arrested Development” comes RUNNING WILDE, a romantic comedy starring Will Arnett as STEVEN WILDE, a filthy-rich, immature playboy trying desperately to win (or buy) the heart of his childhood sweetheart, EMMY KADUBIC (Keri Russell), the über-liberal humanitarian who got away – all told through the perspective of a 12-year-old girl.

Steve Wilde has never performed a selfless act. But why should he? He’s rich! The son of an oil tycoon, Steve hasn’t had to work a day in his life and has always gotten everything he’s wanted – with one exception: the love of Emmy.

The daughter of a former Wilde housekeeper, Emmy is an earnest do-gooder who has spent her adult life trying to save the world. And though Emmy is content living with an indigenous tribe in the Amazon rainforest, her 12-year-old daughter, PUDDLE (Stefania Owen), just wants to be a normal kid experiencing her adolescence in a normal place. And she would speak up except for the fact that she hasn’t spoken in a few months.

When Wilde Oil’s expansion in the rainforest threatens her adopted tribe, Emmy decides to attend Steve’s self-thrown “Humanitarian of the Year” award ceremony in hopes of convincing him to help her cause…and also maybe because she still has a thing for Steve. But same-old Steve is unwilling to help because fighting Wilde Oil (a/k/a Dad) means putting his meal ticket in jeopardy.

Rather than run the risk of letting Emmy slip away again, Steve pulls out all the stops to win her heart. To do so, he enlists the only other people in his life who can help: Oxford-accented neighbor and “frenemy” FA’AD SHAOULIAN (Peter Serafinowicz); MIGO SALAZAR (Mel Rodriguez), Steve’s employee/sidekick/errand-boy; and (reluctantly) the scheming MR. LUNT (Robert Michael Morris), Steve’s “manny”-turned-secretary as well as the biggest protector of Steve…and his own job.

Despite having everything he ever wanted, Steve knows he can’t buy love and happiness, which falls in sharp contrast to Emmy, who has nothing but love and happiness. So with Emmy committed to doing good for nothing, and Steve being a good for nothing, will this hopelessly mismatched pair ever be able to reconcile their differences?

RUNNING WILDE is produced by Tantamount Studios, Five Hole Pictures and Principato-Young Management in association with Lionsgate Television. The series is written and created by Mitch Hurwitz, Jim Vallely and Will Arnett. Hurwitz, Vallely, Arnett, Eric Tannenbaum, Kim Tannenbaum, Peter Principato and Paul Young serve as executive producers. Anthony Russo and Joe Russo directed and served as executive producers on the pilot episode.
Two of the main brains behind Arrested Development, Arnett in the lead, Cross as a recurring guest star (I think?), and Keri Russell and Peter Serafinowicz.
Episode 1.01 "Pilot" said:
EGO MEETS ECO ON THE SERIES PREMIERE OF “RUNNING WILDE”
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, ON FOX

David Cross (“Arrested Development”) Guest-Stars

Steve Wilde is a filthy-rich, immature playboy trying desperately to win (or buy) the heart of his childhood sweetheart, Emmy Kadubic, the über-liberal humanitarian who got away. Given the chance to reconnect with Emmy, Steve pulls out all the stops to win her heart in the “Pilot” series premiere episode of RUNNING WILDE airing Tuesday, Sept. 21 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (WLD-101) (TV-PG L)

Guest Cast: David Cross as Andy Weeks
Episode 1.02 "Into the Wilde" said:
STEVE PLANS A FAMILY VACATION ON AN ALL-NEW “RUNNING WILDE” TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 28, ON FOX

David Cross Guest-Stars

Steve’s plan to take Emmy and Puddle on a family vacation is interrupted by the arrival of Emmy’s fiancé, Andy (guest star Cross), at the Wilde estate, who has his own plans for Steve in the all-new “Into The Wilde” episode of RUNNING WILDE airing Tuesday, Sept. 28 (9:30-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (WLD-103) (TV-PG D, L)

Cast: Will Arnett as Steven Wilde; Keri Russell as Emmy Kadubic; Stefania Owen as Puddle Kadubic; Peter Serafinowicz as Fa’ad Shaoulian; Robert Michael Morris as Mr. Lunt; Mel Rodriguez as Migo Salazar

Guest Cast: David Cross as Andy Weeks; Debargo Sanyal as Saheem

593eg.png

Loved the pilot.

Phoenix's Rage

Neo Member
Not too many laugh out loud moments but pretty good setup episode. Can we please not let this suffer the same fate as AD or the more recent Better off Ted? :(

Tucah

you speak so well
I totally forgot about this, good thing I had it set up in the DVR already :lol

Will watch later tonight.

big ander

It's possible I only loved it because I went in with low expectations. But I really felt it had some good humor. Steve is basically Gob, but throwing him into these situations with actual normal people seems funny so far. Puddle did a good job. His two "servants" were funny. And Serafinowicz was great, along with Cross.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Awesome Awesome AWESOME.

Taste the happy, GAF!

This show feels like arrested development.

I know I'm probably getting my hopes up, but all the little attention to details was present.. everything from the band playing the price is right theme, to a few houseguests wearing price is right nametags... it was a return to form :)

I also enjoyed the "he began to wonder if he had made a huge mistake" -- nice little AD nod there..

David Cross' line at the opening "Not enough postage? what Did I even send? *Boom*" was amazing.

<3 Mitch Hurwitz & co.

hopefully this gets a good following.. it's definitely another smart comedy :D

But, judging by there only being less than 10 posts about the premiere.. I think we're gonna have another sleeper hit here at GAF.

big ander

DrEvil said:
Awesome Awesome AWESOME.

Taste the happy, GAF!

This show feels like arrested development.

I know I'm probably getting my hopes up, but all the little attention to details was present.. everything from the band playing the price is right theme, to a few houseguests wearing price is right nametags... it was a return to form :)

I also enjoyed the "he began to wonder if he had made a huge mistake" -- nice little AD nod there..

David Cross' line at the opening "Not enough postage? what Did I even send? *Boom*" was amazing.

<3 Mitch Hurwitz & co.

hopefully this gets a good following.. it's definitely another smart comedy :D
This is the stuff I loved but was not coherent enough to type. I mean, so much of this felt great. The David Cross at the opening killed me :lol :lol

Nelo Ice

Banned
Nazgul_Hunter said:
Was anyone else hoping Will was gonna say Ive made a huge mistake when the little girl said it? COME ON!!!

right when that happened i was hoping he would say it seemed like the perfect moment to throw in the AD reference :lol

Mifune

Mehmber
I really liked this. It wasn't incredibly funny, but I did chuckle a few times. And Arnett and Russell are both great.

I don't understand why critics hate it so much. It's getting worse reviews than The Event. *shudders*

affableamerican said:
This. Switching off the piano -- GOLD.

Ya that part was hilarious. That and the Price is Right theme in the background was just full of win. My wife didn't even notice and was wondering why I was laughing so much. So subtle but so good. It may not be AD yet, but I've got a feeling it's going to be amazing when they get warmed up.

ivysaur12

Banned
Fairly typical pilot fare. Show the tone of the show, set the stage for weekly output. A little too light on the comedy aspects - it was less of the timing and jokes than stuff like Price is Right people and the piano being turned off that made me laugh. And sometimes the narration was a bit too much.

It also didn't help that all of the good jokes were wasted in the promotion.

big ander

ivysaur12 said:
Fairly typical pilot fare. Show the tone of the show, set the stage for weekly output. A little too light on the comedy aspects - it was less of the timing and jokes than stuff like Price is Right people and the piano being turned off that made me laugh. And sometimes the narration was a bit too much.

It also didn't help that all of the good jokes were wasted in the promotion.
But this is bound to happen in the pilot, and we know from other shows/movies that between Arnett, Cross, and Serafinowicz that there's enough comedic talent to improve joke delivery later. I can only see this show getting better.

ivysaur12

Banned
big ander said:
But this is bound to happen in the pilot, and we know from other shows/movies that between Arnett, Cross, and Serafinowicz that there's enough comedic talent to improve joke delivery later. I can only see this show getting better.

I know, that's why I said it was standard pilot stuff. Hopefully it gets itself moving for the second episode before the audience starts to leave (unless the comedy night get destroyed... which is quite possible).

Irish

The pilot was alright, but it didn't hit me in the same way Raising Hope did just minutes before it.

His servants were hilarious though.

"You said I could keep the change. Do you want it back? I mean, it was six diet colas and you only gave me a $100..."

& then later:

"Two diet Cokes- you're total will be..."

"That's alright, we've got it."

big ander

ivysaur12 said:
I know, that's why I said it was standard pilot stuff. Hopefully it gets itself moving for the second episode before the audience starts to leave (unless the comedy night get destroyed... which is quite possible).
Apparently reviews for the second ep aren't good...but they weren't good for the pilot either, so I'll keep my current high expectations.

squicken

Raising Hope was much better. This was a near disaster. About the only funny thing was the interplay with the neighbor.

This was shit with flashes of AD's glory.

Doctor Magazine and the player piano were great bits but only on the level of AD throwaways.

It wasn't really that funny at the beginning, but I felt it really picked up in the latter half of the episode.

I thought the subtle gags were great, but probably some of the dialogue still needs work. Then again, it was just the pilot, so I'll definitely give it a few episodes.

Btw, did Tobias really die from his errant delivery? Keri doesn't mention her boyfriend at all anymore when she moves in with GOB. Did they break up or is he dead?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Very contrived. But, now that we got past the setup, I like the cast/direction/potential.

I like how Raising Hope did their set up way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom