• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Running Wilde |OT| of Hurwitz, Cross, and Arnett do good for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
big ander said:
I couldn't disagree more.

Really?

Ivysaur12 and I don't always agree on TV shows (to put it mildly) but we're in complete agreement on this point. The narration is the most easily fixable problem this show has.

But really, with the ratings falling to a 1.9 demo in the finals I can't imagine it will be sticking around long-term, so discussing any tweaks kind of seems pointless.

Mifune

Mehmber
I actually thought this second episode was far worse than the pilot. I found a handful of funny moments there and absolutely nothing here. One more episode like this and I'm out.

Lijik

ivysaur12 said:
Puddle as the narrator needs to go. Easily the worst part of the show and it drags the humor down so much.

Theres a few moments where it works, but overall I agree.

Mairu

fallengorn said:
I caught Mitch Hurwitz speak at the NYTVF and he said that he's keeping himself in check/listening to executives for Running Wilde, where as Arrested Development he just went all out. At least he mentioned he's still working on the AD movie. :\
:(

I'm enjoying the show a little bit but I agree that I don't think Arnett & Russell have very good chemistry.

Puddle is definitely no Ron Howard

CzarTim

I think the problem with Puddle's narration is they've mostly been using it as plain exposition instead of adding to jokes, which was the best part of AD at times.

The running joke from this episode was one of the best laughs I got from the show so far.

ivysaur12

Banned
czartim said:
I think the problem with Puddle's narration is they've mostly been using it as plain exposition instead of adding to jokes, which was the best part of AD at times.

The running joke from this episode was one of the best laughs I got from the show so far.

That's the problem. It's like Puddle is the network notes manifested into dialog. "What, you don't get the jokes? HERE LET ME TELL YOU WHY THEY'RE IRONIC AND WITTY HAR HAR!"

dead souls said:
Really?

Ivysaur12 and I don't always agree on TV shows (to put it mildly) but we're in complete agreement on this point. The narration is the most easily fixable problem this show has.

But really, with the ratings falling to a 1.9 demo in the finals I can't imagine it will be sticking around long-term, so discussing any tweaks kind of seems pointless.

Eh, I'd give it another week or two before we can make a judgment on that, especially given Fox's turbulent fall thus far. If it can stay at about a 1.8-2.0, it might have a shot (though considering the quality of this week's episode, it'll probably drop while Raising Hope will remain fine.)

I actually think a Glee/Raising Hope/Mixed Signals night would work really well.

DrEvil said:
The whole mixing up the Bs and Vs by the neighbour was amazing, and I assume will be one of the recurring jokes that goes unmentioned in future episodes.

"Bacataion".
Rewatching the first episode, it already has :lol

big ander

ivysaur12 said:
That's the problem. It's like Puddle is the network notes manifested into dialog. "What, you don't get the jokes? HERE LET ME TELL YOU WHY THEY'RE IRONIC AND WITTY HAR HAR!"

Eh, I'd give it another week or two before we can make a judgment on that, especially given Fox's turbulent fall thus far. If it can stay at about a 1.8-2.0, it might have a shot (though considering the quality of this week's episode, it'll probably drop while Raising Hope will remain fine.)

I actually think a Glee/Raising Hope/Mixed Signals night would work really well.
The thing is, how do you know Mixed Signals will be better? Honestly, with Arnett and Cross and Hurwitz this has more potential when you look at everything pre-pilot. It could be even better, but that would still be taking a chance.

TheOddOne

ivysaur12 said:
Really? Never got that impression.

The second episode was decent and I was laughing like crazy at "Bacation". :lol

But I also agree, something seems off still. Puddles script is good, but I just don't think she delivers it well. I also don't like her as the narrator.

I'm still on board, but I wish it had a stronger start. Better Off Ted was just like this. The first 5-6 episodes were pretty weak, then it finally hit its stride. But by then most people had already written it off.

BigAT

I just watched the first two episodes on a recommendation from a friend and I definitely liked them. Definitely a lot of very subtle humor that was reminiscent of AD. Did anyone else notice that one of the production studios involved in the show is Tantamount Studios? It's the name of the fake studio Maebe worked at in Arrested Development.

My biggest worry is that I'm not really sure where the narrative goes from here and if it can work successfully in the long term. I don't really get where David Cross' character fits in.

New episode tonight at 9:30.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Wow that was some blatant product placement. And then to have the same product in an actual commercial right after the scene with the product placement.

big ander

I thought the office scene as a whole was funny, and KFC was a part of that, but putting a commercial afterwards to highlight the blatant product placement was ridiculous :lol

big ander

Strange episode.
A lot of the jokes were really good. Everything in the office was very funny. "Cake is for babies." "Of course babies like cake. Cake is awesome." ... "The cake is probably gone already."
I thought the story was very nice this time. Emmy and Steve had chemistry, and Steve and Puddle still have chemistry. Also, the butler guy was very funny with his gambling.
And then other random stuff was bad.. I started to notice that Puddle's narration is half actually funny and half useless. Like the tag scene. She didn't need to say Andy cried. We got it. He was in pain. And the product placement, and the attempts to shoehorn AD references in.
Overall, it was fine. But I really want this show to get better. If it only stays this good, I won't stay past 1 season. And neither will it.

big ander

squicken said:
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/10/the_vulture_transcript_mitch_h.html

Read that and lament what this show could have been. I'm pretty much off this show after reading it.
Well, it’s a different kind of hard work because I have more masters to please. On Arrested, what I was trying to work hard on was to get my vision completely out there. What I’m working hard on now is trying to accommodate other people’s visions.
Ugh. This is awful.
At least it's just a means to the end of making the AD movie.

bridegur

Despite the weirdness of the product placement, this was the best episode yet. It gives me a lot of hope for the show.

Rad-

I may be in the minority here but I didn't find AD that funny in the first few episodes. I think this series still has hope as it has been improving on every episode. Hopefully it keeps on doing that.

big ander

DrEvil said:
according to AICN, running wilde was not given a back-nine order... looks like our little show is done :(
Now this could be completely wrong because I feel like I never know all of the "rules of tv" but does it not getting a back 9 necessitate that it's canceled? Couldn't it come back anyway if they don't have a strong pilot season or if it starts to gain in the ratings?

DrEvil said:
according to AICN, running wilde was not given a back-nine order... looks like our little show is done :(
And according to that interview with Mitch, if it doesn't get the back nine we'll have to wait even longer for the Arrested Development movie. Though I do really like that title, "Arrested Development: The Huge Disappointment" :lol :lol

I hate reading about the suits mucking about with the creative process. The hobo party sounds like such a good joke, and it doesn't seem that complicated AT ALL, yet they axed it to make it more simple. Fuck. I do really enjoy that they're letting him slip little easter eggs into the show to build up to bigger jokes, though, like the tiny horses.

"Of course babies like cake. It's awesome." :lol

big ander

WordAssassin said:
And according to that interview with Mitch, if it doesn't get the back nine we'll have to wait even longer for the Arrested Development movie. Though I do really like that title, "Arrested Development: The Huge Disappointment" :lol :lol

I hate reading about the suits mucking about with the creative process. The hobo party sounds like such a good joke, and it doesn't seem that complicated AT ALL, yet they axed it to make it more simple. Fuck. I do really enjoy that they're letting him slip little easter eggs into the show to build up to bigger jokes, though, like the tiny horses.

"Of course babies like cake. It's awesome." :lol
I hope he gets another couple gigs, then starts on the movie maybe summer 2012? I dunno.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DrEvil said:

You're misreading that.

They said that Raising Hope was given a back 9 today, by contrast, there's no news on Running Wilde. You should read it as "hasn't yet been given a back 9". Now, mind you, I don't think it is going to get a back 9, but I'm just saying that article doesn't provide any new info. AICN is not a good place for TV or ratings news :/

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Stumpokapow said:
You're misreading that.

They said that Raising Hope was given a back 9 today, by contrast, there's no news on Running Wilde. You should read it as "hasn't yet been given a back 9". Now, mind you, I don't think it is going to get a back 9, but I'm just saying that article doesn't provide any new info. AICN is not a good place for TV or ratings news :/

granted, and in the past the whole 'back-9' order has come very late in the process too.. we might not find out for a few weeks still at least..

I hope it sticks around; it's getting more and more clever as it goes on.. hopefully it's not too little too late.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The third episode was great. Anyone who likes AD should've enjoyed that.

The way they set up the joke about Andy being a spy for the oil company was very AD like and seeing GOB back in an office environment was hilarious.

and the KFC stuff reminded me of the "It's a wonderful restaurant!" Burger King joke from AD.

Poigea

I think this show really has some promise. I enjoy it and it definitely has a feeling of AD humor at times. I really hope it gets picked up, because I like the show, and it will help with the AD movie.

Bread

Banned
The 3rd episode was so awesome, Fa'ad is my favorite character so far. I hope this doesn't get canceled :(

Watched the first episode on Hulu.

Puddle isn't so great but it seems like everything else is in the right place for some greatness.

Shanadeus

Banned
This is basically GOB the show - and I like it!
Loved the whole office deal as well, with Wilde learning how to be friendly with his office buddies :lol

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Will Arnett is looking a little desperate on Twitter today — kind of depressing:

To my UK friends, I dunno when #RunningWilde will be on there.If we don't get good ratings this week, it won't be shown anywhere.

Kinda bleak,need viewers,that's why I did all the lame self-promoting tweets.Tues ep I'm half nude and wash Richter's car.Tues,9:30 on FOX

In LA for 3 more hours..on my way to writers room with Hurwitz, Vallely et al... Anything I need to pass along?

Taking suggestions for the show via Twitter. Yikes.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
In LA for 3 more hours..on my way to writers room with Hurwitz, Vallely et al... Anything I need to pass along?
yeah, do a show for premium cable. fuck network television.

TripOpt55

Just watched last week's ep. I liked the third ep a bit more than the second probably. A lot of the stuff in the office was pretty good. Still not great, but I enjoyed it.

Lazslo

Just found this show on Hulu- Amazing. In a perfect world NBC would replace Outsourced with this and Parks and Rec would be run after this. How does a show like outsourced get picked up and Running Wilde is about to get cancelled? This show has so much potential, I really hope it stays on the air.

CzarTim

Lazslo said:
Just found this show on Hulu- Amazing. In a perfect world NBC would replace Outsourced with this and Parks and Rec would be run after this. How does a show like outsourced get picked up and Running Wilde is about to get cancelled? This show has so much potential, I really hope it stays on the air.
Well they're on different channels for one. But yeah, I hear ya.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
vatstep said:
Will Arnett is looking a little desperate on Twitter today — kind of depressing:

To my UK friends, I dunno when #RunningWilde will be on there.If we don't get good ratings this week, it won't be shown anywhere.

I'm not expecting it to be shown at all in this country.

The BBC bought the rights to Arrested Development 4 years after it went off air and then put it on at 1am on a weekday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom