• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Running Wilde |OT| of Hurwitz, Cross, and Arnett do good for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ander

dyls said:
I thought it was a pretty poor episode. There were a few funny parts, mostly with Fa'ad and Migo as always, but the back and forth between Emma and Steve absolutely blows. If you took a drink every time she said the word superficial, you'd have been hammered by the end of the show. Just the same exact argument from week to week, and for at least 10 minutes of this episode. We. Get. It.
This. I'm learning to ignore it, but I shouldn't have to do that. And I won't have to do it for much longer.
That's the main problem with the show: it failed miserably to establish an interesting interaction/conflict between the main cast.

big ander

czartim said:
It's obvious that that was an earlier episode. Cast chemistry wasn't quite there.
Wiki says the 6th and 7th were swapped. So while this was aired 7th, it was the 6th produced. Not that much of a time difference.

CzarTim

big ander said:
Wiki says the 6th and 7th were swapped. So while this was aired 7th, it was the 6th produced. Not that much of a time difference.
I will just assume wiki is wrong so I can be right.

Every single episode has been aired out of order. a Fox cancellation tradition.

I liked the episode. Not as funny as the faire one, but amusing. The 3rd rock from the sun jokes were great.

big ander

jamesinclair said:
Every single episode has been aired out of order. a Fox cancellation tradition.

I liked the episode. Not as funny as the faire one, but amusing. The 3rd rock from the sun jokes were great.
Personally I don't count it as "every episode airing out of order" when the production team purposefully moves an early episode forward and knocks the rest one back. The RW team wanted 102 to air later, so 103, 104, and 105 were each knocked back. That was there idea, not Fox's. And swapping 106 and 107 doesn't really mean anything. They weren't exactly continuous episodes. Rest of the season looks to air in exactly production order.
It's really not Fox's fault.

AnkitT

Really liked the jokes on this one, some of them had the same subtlety as AD jokes, but not quite there yet.

After Sit down, shut up and now Running wilde, I hope Mitch thinks about his next show and network long and hard before jumping right in and getting canceled straight away.

big ander

Anybody watch tonight?
Was okay. It's crazy that this show goes really up and down even in one episode. At the party with Fahad was hilarious. Then the very end and Puddle at the fair were both nearly cringe-worthy.

big ander said:
Anybody watch tonight?
Was okay. It's crazy that this show goes really up and down even in one episode. At the party with Fahad was hilarious. Then the very end and Puddle at the fair were both nearly cringe-worthy.

Fa'ad makes everything funny.

He needs his own spin-off show. One that actually works.

CzarTim

big ander said:
Anybody watch tonight?
Agreed. First half was awesome, but then it tapered off.

Lijik

Nappuccino said:
Fa'ad makes everything funny.

He needs his own spin-off show. One that actually works.
I'd kill for that show. Its kind of weird, I like this show but I find it just okay and yet Fa'ad is my favorite character in television this season.

Just about to watch last nights ep

big ander

Fa'ad spinoff would be amazing. The eyepatch and "bahahaha bahahaha" were so funny.

And Serafinowicz does have a funny twitter.

Darth Pinche said:
This show is great but I think it would have a bigger audience with a better title.
It should have been called "Good for Nothing"

Yeah the title isn't catchy.

I've loved every episode.

big ander

Well, apparently there's a new episode tonight at 7/6c.
Running Wilde
"One Forward Step"

ALL-NEW / AIRS ON SPECIAL DAY & TIME
STEVE’S STEPMOM VISITS ON AN ALL-NEW “RUNNING WILDE” SUNDAY, DECEMBER 12, ON FOX - AIRING ON A SPECIAL DAY AND TIME

David Cross and Drea DeMatteo (“The Sopranos”) Guest-Star
Steve’s randy stepmom (guest star DeMatteo) arrives at Wilde Mansion to curb Steve’s excessive spending – on the day Steve plans to announce he is bankrolling Emmy’s new non-profit.
Cast: Will Arnett as Steven Wilde; Keri Russell as Emmy Kadubic; Stefania Owen as Puddle Kadubic; Peter Serafinowicz as Fa’ad Shaoulian; Mel Rodriguez as Migo Salazar; Robert Michael Morris as Mr. Lunt
Guest Cast: David Cross as Andy Weeks; Drea De Matteo as Didi; Priya Ayyar as Administrator; Robert Jimenez as Official; Amir Darvish as Sheik

blahness

big ander said:
Am confuse.

My feed just started a mid-episode run of the medieval episode.
So it now has the Sunday 7pm death slot. That us the time slot Futurama had for the end of it's run :(. Absolutely the worst slot of all time.

Looks like Fox doesnt know if they want to burn off the show or not.

The original announcement said:

Episode 7 – Tuesday, November 30 at 9:30/8:30c
Episode 8 – Tuesday, December 7 at 9:30/8:30c
Episode 9 – Sunday, December 12 at 7:00/6:00c
Episode 10 – Sunday, December 19 at 7:00/6:00c
Episode 11 – Sunday, December 26 at 9:30/8:30c

Episodes 12 & 13 – Tuesday, December 28 at 9:00/8:00c

But at the last second they put in a rerun instead of an original.

big ander

jamesinclair said:
Looks like Fox doesnt know if they want to burn off the show or not.

The original announcement said:

Episode 7 – Tuesday, November 30 at 9:30/8:30c
Episode 8 – Tuesday, December 7 at 9:30/8:30c
Episode 9 – Sunday, December 12 at 7:00/6:00c
Episode 10 – Sunday, December 19 at 7:00/6:00c
Episode 11 – Sunday, December 26 at 9:30/8:30c

Episodes 12 & 13 – Tuesday, December 28 at 9:00/8:00c

But at the last second they put in a rerun instead of an original.
Strange. I guess it all gets pushed a week forward?

big ander

Peter Serafinowicz: Inside Running Wilde's Too-Short Run
Really great interview here. Really long too. Tried to pick out some of the best of it.
You know, I guess it just brought it home to me, watching it on actual TV, that the show is there to sell advertising space. It's not there to be exhibited as this work of comedic art made available for the viewers of America. It's there to fill up the spaces between ads. And if you're not getting the numbers and the viewers that these advertisers paid for — that's it. You're fucked. There's no point in you being there. That's how the business works, and it's a different model to the cable TV system.
But they'd seem to arbitrarily not let us cast certain people. There were guest spots and we'd want to hire somebody really funny for them. And they'd hem and haw for days and weeks until the next day or the next couple of days we had to hire somebody. And then they'd say no. And then we'd have to get somebody that we didn't particularly have in mind, that we didn't particularly want.
Mitch and I were talking about this thing where he wasn't an Arab at all, and he was just a total impostor, to be revealed at some point. So that was something that I was looking forward to — finding out who he really was. And I got the chance to play different characters throughout the show, through Fa'ad's different impersonations of people, and I miss doing that as well. We had some fun ideas lined up for that.

But there is still a glimmer of hope, perhaps, for Running Wilde. Because as far as we know, the remaining episodes and the episodes that have already been shown are going to be shown on FX in March or April of this year. So the whole run's going to be seen on FX. And who knows, if it gets enough of a following people might sort of pick it up again. It's not impossible.
Q: Yeah, I read an interview with Mitch where he said that he eventually wanted to get the entire cast of Arrested Development to appear in Running Wilde in various ways.

A: Yeah, and another thing as well that Mitch told me is that he's writing me into the Arrested Development movie, which I'm super excited about.
Q: So he's actually writing the script now?

A: Oh, yeah yeah yeah. It's all properly happening. I don't know anything about it other than that he's writing it and it's happening and I'm going to be in it, apparently.
Will and I have got an idea for a show that's pretty funny. It's quite a simple show — it would be a cable show. So we're talking to people about that. And I'm writing another show at the moment with a couple of other people, one of whom is my brother James who produced my sketch show. We're writing this thing, it's called Dick because I realized in my career I've played a lot of dicks.

-I agree with Peter that the ratings system is pretty sloppy. Doesn't mean RW shouldn't have been canceled, but he is correct.
-More info on the EXTENSIVE interference from the network on this. Just a ton of their meddling. I would have liked to see if this became at least good if Fox didn't interfere.
-That Fa'ad plot sounds hilarious. Imagine Serafinowicz playing a new role every other week.
-So it might air on FX? I haven't been able to find any info on when the remaining four episodes will air anywhere else, but it seems like PS is just speaking hypothetically. I assume we'll see soon.
-PETER'S IN THE AD MOVIE AND IT'S BEING WRITTEN AGAIN ZOMG. But I'm not really that excited, because I won't believe that movie is coming out until I see a trailer.
-I hope Arnett and Serafinowicz work together soon.

Oni Jazar

I can't believe the Arrested Development movie is still planned. I loved the show so much but I think the past should stay in the past.

Oni Jazar said:
I can't believe the Arrested Development movie is still planned. I loved the show so much but I think the past should stay in the past.

Agreed. All they can do is fuck up the show's legacy.

big ander

dead souls said:
Agreed. All they can do is fuck up the show's legacy.
Unless they make it better? I mean sure, the show ended well, but how is it a foregone conclusion that the movie will ruin the show? Clearly they were planning on a movie even back when season 3 ended.

TripOpt55

I still have a few of these on my DVR I haven't checked out. I need to just give them a watch one day. I'll see if I can record the FX ones too.

big ander

It got pushed again. The show got such bad ratings in it's burn off spot that it got pushed to another worse burn off spot :lol I think it was friday at 10ET.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom