• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia banned from all sports

God Enel

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) has imposed a four-year ban on Russia from all global sport, including the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics, the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics and the 2022 Qatar World Cup. Individual Russian athletes untainted by the scandal will still be able to compete in competitions independently under a neutral flag.

WADA's executive committee took the decision after concluding Moscow had tampered with laboratory data. The agency found Russia planted fake evidence and deleted files linked to positive doping tests that could have helped identify drug cheats. Russia has 21 days to appeal the decision through the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

Wada's executive committee made the unanimous decision in a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland. Wada president Sir Craig Reedie said the decision showed its "determination to act resolutely in the face of the Russian doping crisis". He added: "For too long, Russian doping has detracted from clean sport. The blatant breach by the Russian authorities of Rusada's reinstatement conditions demanded a robust response. That is exactly what has been delivered. Russia was afforded every opportunity to get its house in order and re-join the global anti-doping community for the good of its athletes and of the integrity of sport, but it chose instead to continue in its stance of deception and denial."

But Wada vice-president Linda Helleland said the ban was "not enough". "I wanted sanctions that can not be watered down," she said. "We owe it to the clean athletes to implement the sanctions as strongly as possible."

It comes after Russia's Anti Doping Agency (Rusada) was declared non-compliant for manipulating laboratory data handed over to investigators in January 2019. It had to hand over data to Wada as a condition of its controversial reinstatement in 2018 after a three-year suspension for its vast state-sponsored doping scandal.

Bye bye 👋🏼

that’s a long ass ban for Russia.

ban me from this forum if old

plz dont ;-;

Mista

Banned
Again?! Don't they ever learn? It started with picking them off individually in plenty of different sports

Now they said fuck it, ban the whole country

ruvikx

Banned
Now ban everyone else, otherwise it's total hypocrisy. USA, Britain, France, Spain, China, Jamaica etc. etc. all with a very long list of doping offenses over the decades (including in the number one elephant in the room, i.e. football). This decision is clearly motivated by geopolitical factors, not doping.

Mista

Banned
We should just openly allow dopings . I have hard time believing that any sport winners in todays world are doping free. Especially those who are breaking world records.
Nah this is nonsense. Based on your stamina, talent and hard work you get what you deserve. But if someone is doping just to get an advantage over the opponent? That’s straight up bollocks and unfair. You wanna convince me that Usain Bolt doped his whole career? Federer? Nadal? Kobe? Jordan? Etc...... Come on now

Last edited:

Ironbunny

Nah this is nonsense. Based on your stamina, talent and hard work you get what you deserve. But if someone is doping just to get an advantage over the opponent? That’s straight up bollocks and unfair. You wanna convince me that Usain Bolt doped his whole career? Federer? Nadal? Kobe? Jordan? Etc...... Come on now

True. What I mean by "I have hard time believing" is that there this always this nagging doubt in my mind due the prevalence of doping use in sports. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and hard work with genetics make all the difference when it comes to winning. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Bolt has used doping at some point even with hes genetics. The lack of rigorous doping testing in Jamaica has been under scrutiny for a while now.

Shantae

Banned
They still haven't learned since this fiasco?
dxOlPa.gif

Mista

Banned
True. What I mean by "I have hard time believing" is that there this always this nagging doubt in my mind due the prevalence of doping use in sports. Of course there are exceptions to the rule and hard work with genetics make all the difference when it comes to winning. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Bolt has used doping at some point even with hes genetics. The lack of rigorous doping testing in Jamaica has been under scrutiny for a while now.
Is there a global federation for all of that too?

Ornlu

Banned

Unproven but highly likely. The whole Jamaican program should be under suspicion, IMO. Jamaica suddenly became a multiple record holder Olympic medal powerhouse post 2000ish with a tiny population in a non-wealthy, non-immigrant nation. West African genetics are a big boon to athletics, but I'd point to buying some world class pharmacists as a more likely reason than genetic lottery odds.

Hard work and effort take you far, but that many medals coming from a population size under 3 million is pretty unlikely. The opposition from countries with 300+ million people are working just as hard and coming up short.

Ironbunny

I guess there are guidelines set by ratified agencies like world anti-doping agency which goverment's have agreed to follow and undergo. That said it seems different sport can choose whether to do the testing inhouse or with WADA. Like NFL. Also depending on the country it is highly likely that doping is done with the blessing of the whole countries sport organization and chief medical staff. This is nothing new.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
From day 1 I've been okay with banning cheaters, too many hard workers out there for cheaters to succeed.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I'll take the unpopular opinion here - doping is no different than cosmetic surgery for actors. It will only make a talented athlete better. They won't make a poor athlete competitive.

Let them dope. I just want to be entertained.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The United States and many other nations are consistently above Russia on lists of doping cases by year (except maybe 2015). Where are their total bans?

For instance:

This is completely politically motivated and there are no prizes for guessing who is ultimately behind it.

Is there an “independant organisation” left that hasn’t been encompassed in it’s tentacles?

Just gross.

Phase

The United States and many other nations are consistently above Russia on lists of doping cases by year (except maybe 2015). Where are their total bans?

For instance:

This is completely politically motivated and there are no prizes for guessing who is ultimately behind it.

Is there an “independant organisation” left that hasn’t been encompassed in it’s tentacles?

Just gross.
I'm not condoning cheating of any kind. I think it ruins sport. But the problem with Russia is that it is state sponsored. You don't see this type of shit with most other countries. People just dope with their own teams of trainers or by themselves.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

For instance:

Just gross.
I think you are missing the reason for the ban. It's not excessive doping cases, it is the manipulation, destruction of lab data and the presence of the state as an actor. Hence why the country is banned but individual atheletes can participate, whereas for other countries the atheletes are banned individually.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I'm not condoning cheating of any kind. I think it ruins sport. But the problem with Russia is that it is state sponsored. You don't see this type of shit with most other countries. People just dope with their own teams of trainers or by themselves.
I think you are missing the reason for the ban. It's not excessive doping cases, it is the manipulation, destruction of lab data and the presence of the state as an actor. Hence why the country is banned but individual atheletes can participate, whereas for other countries the atheletes are banned individually.
I won’t discount your points because they are valid on the surface, but this goes way deeper.

The world superpowers are currently waging a propaganda war against eachother and there is little more valuable in that realm than domination of international sports and success at the Olympics. It is why Russia hosted the Winter Olympics and football World Cup and why Hitler hosted a Summer Olympics.

As Russia is building itself back up into a superpower, the U.S.A. does not want a successful Russian Olympic team topping them on the medal list. As petty as it sounds, it is valuable propaganda. It’s political in my opinion.

There is a trove of evidence that heavily suggests that “independent world organisations” like the U.N. for example, flout their own rules and processes in order to achieve results desired by the United States of America and I have no reason to believe this is any different.

Ornlu

Banned
As Russia is building itself back up into a superpower

I agree with you that world powers play petty politics on the world stage, but this particular line was too funny. Russia is going deep into the shitter, and fast.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wasn't Russia currently banned? So another 4 years? LOL

It's amazing when countries with sketchy economies and social issues funnels so much effort into global athletics.

You'd think the government would spend it's energy on every day people and business.

But I guess it's easier to make the general public feel good about a couple gold medals than ensuring the public has good jobs and safety. lol

Mistake

The lab in charge of the doping tests was non-compliant and manipulative, to the point of it becoming a state sponsored scandal. They were given a chance and didn’t change. While other countries had their fair share of dopers, I’m not aware of any going this far

Top Bottom