• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia Signs Cooperation Agreement With Far Right Anti-Immigrant Party in Austria

Status
Not open for further replies.
So weird how Russia is now the champion of far-right evil rather than far-left evil, like 25+ years ago.

Also shows that the problem the right in the West had with Russia back then was never the "evil" part but rather the "far-left" part. It's all politics, never morals.

Eh you take what you can get.

Saiyu

Yeah, I don't see how it can be a "new cold war" if the next President is cosying up to him and shares their views....

Oriel

Russia realised it doesn't need to be covert about its support of neo-Nazi's in Europe any more, it can openly do so and no one will give a shit. Any pro-Russia imbecile who still claims Russia is a country dedicated to fighting against fascism (like what they claim re: the Donbass) really needs to STFU and get their head examined.

Russia is the greatest threat to peace and stability in the world right now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So they don't even hide it anymore.

How come all the "patriots" find no shame in serving Russia?

Anything to promote white supremacy. It's really that simple. Whites must be on top and Russia is the biggest country with that as their official policy more or less. Race patriots is what they are.

Not sure it counts as another Cold War if everyone is just on Russia's side.

Thats a funny but true statement. I do think that Europe will be the only "buffer" against Russia the next 8 years. Unfortunately we are pretty weak as a force compared to the US.

And the far left.

They are so short sighted that they will follow anybody opposing NATO.

I agree. Used to think it was only a far right thing. It goes beyond political wings or orientation.

I just hope Germany can expel it but do not have much hope for France honestly.

Dryk

There's a lot of people in the world right now that need to take a long hard look at themselves and think about why Putin wants to help them so badly

Opto

Banned
"How can this happen?"

* white people overreact to a MTV video telling white guys they need to chill*

'Europe is falling for this shit'.

Pretty sure so far there's only one major country who has elected a racist, fascistic demagogue who loves Russia and was helped by propaganda, fake news and convenient hacking originating from Russia and it sure as shit isn't a European one.

Wait a few years. Or don't - you guys shouldn't repeat our mistake.

Russia traded communism for fascism, but they're still playing the same old game.

How come all the "patriots" find no shame in serving Russia?

maybe this should be an angle to battle the far right. they are basically putins puppets. clinton kinda did it against trump in the debates (which was when she was the most succesful).

norinrad

so in other words they can't do jack shit so the article is nothing but fear mongering.

Comments and attitudes like these brought us Donald, Brexit and more far right ladies and gentlemen.

We never take anything seriously and usually laugh it off until it's reality and too late to do something about it.

Why bother? The more it comes out that they're doing it, the less anyone seems to want to oppose it. Particularly in America; rather than the obvious connection harming Trump, it's actually raised Putin's public profile in the country.

I mean, people paint him as a KGB psychopathic mastermind, but when your opponents are as dumb as the Western world has gotten, it really just takes a Saturday morning cartoon villain to get the job done.

Comments and attitudes like these brought us Donald, Brexit and more far right ladies and gentlemen.

We never take anything seriously and usually laugh it off until it's reality and too late to do something about it.

Not entirely sure what this has to do with the UK leaving a customs union.

UKIP is also in Putin's pocket. A weaker EU is better for Russian interests. It's not that far a leap of logic.

I can see why Putin would want to see the UK leave the EU but that's not really what I was asking. The person I was quoting seemed to be suggesting that Brexit happened because we "didn't take it seriously", as though it wasn't a result of years of pent up desire for a referendum, a long campaign and a high turnout.

Also, UKIP is in Putin's pocket? They're broke. They relied on a handful of very wealthy donors, of whom Putin was not one, who have mostly now all fled. Do you have any evidence to back up your assertion?

Moosichu

I can see why Putin would want to see the UK leave the EU but that's not really what I was asking. The person I was quoting seemed to be suggesting that Brexit happened because we "didn't take it seriously", as though it wasn't a result of years of pent up desire for a referendum, a long campaign and a high turnout.

Also, UKIP is in Putin's pocket? They're broke. They relied on a handful of very wealthy donors, of whom Putin was not one, who have mostly now all fled. Do you have any evidence to back up your assertion?

They aren't mutually exclusive things. I think how damaging Brexit could be wasn't explained early enough because the thought it could happen was so ridiculous. Cameron played with that comfort, by claiming the EU was the cause of many problems and pretending to be on the fence about whether we should leave. This meant that when it looked like Brexit could happen, and politicians started panicking, it was treated as a fear campaign of doom. Because surely if Brexit was that bad, politicians wouldn't have threatened leaving so lightly?

They aren't mutually exclusive things. I think how damaging Brexit could be wasn't explained early enough because the thought it could happen was so ridiculous. Cameron played with that comfort, by claiming the EU was the cause of many problems and pretending to be on the fence about whether we should leave. This meant that when it looked like Brexit could happen, and politicians started panicking, it was treated as a fear campaign of doom. Because surely if Brexit was that bad, politicians wouldn't have threatened leaving so lightly?

I don't think that's really the case, though. "Project Fear" started from the very beginning because that's how all "status quo" campaigns work. It's really the only way they can work, because you can't paint a bright and happy picture about what's already there. It's inherently a case of "the other thing is worse" which you can't do positively. Besides, public hostility towards immigration goes back way further than the run up to the referendum - I'm sure none of us forget Ed's immigration mug.

I'd certainly agree with you that most people did not expect us to vote to leave, but it doesn't follow on that complacency necessarily therefore caused that to occur. Right now, I can't think of how they could have campaigned differently and got a victory for Remain. I don't think that a more comprehensive explanation of the potential economic outcomes would have helped because I think that for so many, that was a relatively distant concern.

America fucked up, no doubt. But you absolutely cannot deny Europe is falling for this shit, just like America.

Britain has left the European Union, largely because of anti immigration sentiments thst Russia helped foster. Le Pen is likely going to be in the final round of voting. I'd say she has zero chance, but I said the same thing about Trunp, so I just don't know. Wilders is almost certainly going to be leader of the Netherlands, and he's even more of a populist dickbag than Trump is.

So stop trying to shed the blame, Europe is just as much falling to the far right as America is. If it continues at this rate, it won't be pretty. All we can hope is that the damage is minimal and people regain their sanity in a few years.
I'm not trying to shirk responsibility. Mainly because 'Europe' isn't a singular entity like the US.

Also, blaming Brexit on Russia is a gross oversimplification. For a start, UKIP surged in the polls for the last election but gained 1 MP. Now, that shows that whilst the majority of voters wanted to leave the EU they weren't willing to vote for someone like Farage and disagreed with his views that Trump succeeded by parroting. It's easy enough to blame Russia for Brexit in the wake of the American election but this certainly wasn't a sentiment that was bounded about beforehand.

Brits fear of immigration and the EU was a lie that the conservative party capitalised on when they realised that UKIP were gaining popularity, they promised a referendum that they didn't want because they wanted to win. Yes, the Tories and Labour often tried to - half-heartedly - describe the benefits of immigration but they did so on Question Time and other such debates where those watching are already - hopefully - informed enough to not be an idiot about this.

Immigrants and the left were betrayed by both the Tories and Labour in efforts for them to garner votes from the frothy-mouthed, braying UKIP supporters and they didn't do enough to defend the idea of immigration.

When you've had years of every party refusing to say 'guys, its actually beneficial, chill your grill' then its no wonder the electorate will turn around and say 'wait, why are we actually in this?' and when you're a working class person who has been fed lies by our own media, not the Russians, about how immigrants are taking your jobs and using up your NHS then when Londoners turn around and go 'guys, we should stay in the EU, it's how I make all my money!' they're going to tell you where to stick it.

Also, I feel like WIlders is always 'likely to win' and given that nobody would really form a coalition with him, he's sort of fucked. Even if the PVV comes first its likely the other parties would agree to form a coalition with the second party.

Wait a few years. Or don't - you guys shouldn't repeat our mistake.

Russia traded communism for fascism, but they're still playing the same old game.
As said above, UKIP have very little chance of actually winning.

Engell

People who makes deals like this should go to prison for treason.
Russia will support anyone or anything that helps destabilize their competitors. It's not because they believe in the agendas of the politicians in other countries, just the end goal of Russia becoming stronger.

Shocking thing is that absolutely no one is doing anything about it, neither in Europe or the US. People should be smarter than this :(

That was pure comedy back in January. Cameron was all "If I don't get substantial reforms I will campaign for Leave", came back from negotiations with the square root of fuck-all, promptly joined Remain and started giving it "Leave will start WW3". Terrible campaigning!

Khaz

Yeah but they want to do it to "take back control" and not have to be influenced by foreign countries. The reason Russia is helping them should be too obvious for them to ignore.

Means to an end. They believe they are playing Russia and getting their money to achieve their own goals, when in fact it's Russia playing them. But they're too oblivious to understand that.

Or mutual cooperation. Russia wants the end of the EU as much as they do, so they ally to down the beast. They just can't comprehend that Russia's goal will be their fall as well, but if they had any foresight they wouldn't want the end of the EU in the first place.

In the end it doesn't really matter. Russia is winning the game, and fascists can't understand there can be only one winner.

so in other words they can't do jack shit so the article is nothing but fear mongering.

When was the last you heard a state representative meeting and signing agreements with non-state entities ? That fact that the Austrian party isn't in power yet makes this whole thing look even worse.

Clefargle

Huh,

Where is that thread about how the west blows the "big evil Russian threat" out of proportion? Seems like they are openly attempting to destabilize democracy through support of the worst elements in our societies. And then we have people like that OP acting like it's all a big bluff.

I'll never understand the sentiment of wanting to leave the EU. I'd get it for like Germany and countries that can legit stand on their own but Austria w/o the EU for instance is completely worthless of anyone's attention. Within the EU our politicians can play big shots but on our own we literally have a smaller GDP than Bavaria.

I seriously don't get this far right bullshit. Haven't these people learned anything from WW2? This was exactly the kind of shit our veterans fought against.

Hisoka

I seriously don't get this far right bullshit. Haven't these people learned anything from WW2? This was exactly the kind of shit our veterans fought against.

I hope with "these people", you only mean those of the right party. It's not like the whole country supports this decision as of now.
And yeah, about your veterans.. they sure are proud of you. No need to look down on Austria right now, really no need.

norinrad

I hope with "these people", you only mean those of the right party. It's not like the whole country supports this decision as of now.
And yeah, about your veterans.. they sure are proud of you. No need to look down on Austria right now, really no need.

BTW out of curiosity, how are Austrians reacting to this event?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom