• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian-American lobbyist says he was in Trump son’s meeting

This is amazing to witness. You guys realize we are most likely staring at the evidence of when and how the Trump campaign began their partnership with the Russian government to interfere with the U.S. election in connection with the stolen/hacked material Russia used to Donald Trump's benefit?

And these guys just can't stop lying and leaving out details about what really transpired. Imagine if that 6th person, the "translator", turns out to be Ambassador Kislyak?

I think it was established that all Trump's ties were made in China

And these guys just can't stop lying and leaving out details about what really transpired. Imagine if that 6th person, the "translator", turns out to be Ambassador Kislyak?
I'm guessing chances are low of anyone there being an 'official' Russian official, but for all I know it could be Putin In a wig and fake beard.

facelike

This is amazing to witness. You guys realize we are most likely staring at the evidence of when and how the Trump campaign began their partnership with the Russian government to interfere with the U.S. election in connection with the stolen/hacked material Russia used to Donald Trump's benefit?

With the lack of shock within Donald Jr's response within the email and how willing he was to meet with them, this may not have been the beginning of it but rather than middle of the partnership.

With the lack of shock within Donald Jr's response within the email and how willing he was to meet with them, this may not have been the beginning of it but rather than middle of the partnership.

Indeed, very true. And if these morons were dumb enough to be sending these e-mails back and forth like this, perhaps chances are good that they can somehow be recovered in some form.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm guessing chances are low of anyone there being an 'official' Russian official, but for all I know it could be Putin In a wig and fake beard.

CNN Anchor Wolf Blitzer was there.

giphy.gif

TS-08

Yes, his response (or lack thereof) to the news of Russia's involvement in trying to help Trump win always struck me as perhaps the most revealing thing from this whole story. He doesn't express any shock, confusion, or curiosity. If you were told something like that from someone you trusted, it seems really strange that you wouldn't follow up on that, unless, of course, you were already aware of the effort.

Indeed, very true. And if these morons were dumb enough to be sending these e-mails back and forth like this, perhaps chances are good that they can somehow be recovered in some form.

I'm pretty sure the Russians could have set this whole thing up more robustly through clandestine means (as Kushner himself realized in December when he asked Kiskyak for a secure channel) but they went along with amateur hour deliberately.

Even if the conspiracy fell through, all the principals were now compromised and ripe for FSB/GRU blackmail.

Like Steele, the CIA and its allies likely have sources on the Putin side to help Mueller along.

Arttemis

I'm going to possibly be all over the place here, but I understand it in my own head, so please bear with me.

Does this mean that two people involved in the Russian money laundering case were also involved in this meeting?

If so, is that case the same one that was headed by Bharara(sp?), who was fired shortly after this meeting, and same case that was then afterwards settled due to lack of evidence?

So, we give you dirt and help you win. You fire Bharara, so we can settle this lawsuit and also lift sanctions so we can continue our real estate dealings.

Gotcha.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

This is probably not the beginning. There is some indication that Trump was being groomed before he even entered the election.
Also, the Agalarovs were probably used for this because they had a public connection to Trump, but they are also in deep with the Russian establishment.

Steel

Banned

Considering how casual the email exchange was, I doubt this was the beginning.

androvsky

I'm going to possibly be all over the place here, but I understand it in my own head, so please bear with me.

Does this mean that two people involved in the Russian money laundering case were also involved in this meeting?

If so, is that case the same one that was headed by Bharara(sp?), who was fired shortly after this meeting, and same case that was then afterwards settled due to lack of evidence?
Preet Bharara wasn't fired until nearly a year after the meeting since Trump had to become President first. That doesn't make any of this look any better though.

Not long going by how fucking insane Hannity is getting.

The GOP stance, obviously, is that working with Russia is far better than working with Democrats. The only question is, when will they say so out loud?

Or, as Stephen Colbert said the other night: "Have we come to a [point in our] nation where colluding with a hostile foreign power to manipulate our election is a left/right thing?".

And the answer to that, clearly, is yes. Yes, we have. The GOP was already at the point where cheating was acceptable - purging voters, denying voters, marginalizing voters through redistricting, etc. Now they're at the point where cheating via external collaboration is maybe a bit distasteful, but okay. Just don't talk about it.

All of this attention to it might only result in them being willing to talk about it. By which I mean, say "it's fine, so shut up". Hannity and others will be there within weeks, maybe days. The GOP as a whole will get there, too, if they keep control of Congress in the next two elections (presumably with further help from Russia).

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
The Cyprus connection is really interesting. I can't recall the exact outline but Maddow had this connection penciled in months ago.

cameron

AP story was updated with some more detail.
In his first public interview about the meeting, Akhmetshin said he accompanied Veselnitskaya to Trump Tower where they met an interpreter who participated in the meeting. He said he had learned about the meeting only that day when Veselnitskaya asked him to attend. He said he showed up in jeans and a T-shirt.

During the meeting, Akhmetshin said Veselnitskaya brought with her a plastic folder with printed-out documents that detailed what she believed was the flow of illicit funds to the Democratic National Committee. Veselnitskaya presented the contents of the documents to the Trump associates and suggested that making the information public could help the Trump campaign, he said.

”This could be a good issue to expose how the DNC is accepting bad money," Akhmetshin recalled her saying.

Trump Jr. asked the attorney if she had all the evidence to back up her claims, including whether she could demonstrate the flow of the money. But Veselnitskaya said the Trump campaign would need to research it more. After that, Trump Jr. lost interest, according to Akhmetshin.

”They couldn't wait for the meeting to end," he said.

Akhmetshin said he does not know if Veselnitskaya's documents were provided by the Russian government. He said he thinks she left the materials with the Trump associates. It was unclear if she handed the documents to anyone in the room or simply left them behind, he said.

Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law and current White House senior adviser, and then-campaign chairman Paul Manafort also attended the meeting. Akhmetshin said he recognized Kushner and Trump Jr. He also said he recognized Manafort because they worked in ”adjacent political circles" but never together.

He said there were others in the room but he didn't know them. Publicist Rob Goldstone, who brokered the meeting via email with Trump Jr., has told the AP that he also participated in the meeting.

Asked about Akhmetshin's participation in the meeting, Manafort spokesman Jason Maloni declined comment. A spokesman for Kushner did not respond to inquiries, nor did Trump Jr.'s attorney.

The confirmation of Akhmetshin's participation in the meeting drew swift reaction from the top Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee, who said it ”adds another deeply disturbing fact about this secret meeting." Rep. Adam Schiff of California said Trump Jr.'s omission of Akhmetshin's role in his public account of the meeting and the president's son's shifting explanations ”paint a portrait of consistent dissembling and deceit."

Akhmetshin said the meeting was ”not substantive" and he ”actually expected more serious" discussion.

”I never thought this would be such a big deal to be honest," he told AP.

The Russian government has denied any involvement or knowledge of the June 2016 meeting. Asked Friday about Akhmetshin, Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, told reporters: ”We don't know anything about this person."
https://apnews.com/dceed1008d8f45af...n-lobbyist-says-he-was-in-Trump-son's-meeting

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
So Russian operatives walked in and told the Trump campaign where to look for dirt (possibly just to guide them to a more discreet avenue of passing along information). Trump Jr may or may not have been too dumb to get the hint.

Cuburt

He said there were others in the room but he didn’t know them. Publicist Rob Goldstone, who brokered the meeting via email with Trump Jr., has told the AP that he also participated in the meeting.

Didn't Goldstone claim he didn't attend the meeting and that he only traveled there to facilitate the lawyer meeting with Trump Jr.?

Also, more people attending this meeting that still haven't been revealed? That Trump Jr. transparency.

What does he have to gain by admitting to being there?

I'm guessing they want to pivot the story to the Russians offering dirt on Clinton/DNC. This is laying the groundwork for that, note how the guy goes into huge detail about the file they were trying to deliver to team Trump.

It's more misinformation, trying to shape the truth with smaller lies rather going all-in with denials.

Fisty

And people keep complaining that the investigation is taking too long

No shit! Look at all these goddamn layers of schemes and lies... this is some twisted shit

Top Bottom