• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuthenicCookie who broke news of Sony not going to E3 says PS5 is a Monster (Details inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madonis

Even if this were true, I wouldn't be an early adopter.

I don't buy phones every two years either, let alone ones that cost $1000.

Kerotan

I still think they'd sell it for €399 and take a loss. €449 with a game bundled and €500 with an extra controller.

They'll make it back easily with ps plus subs and software sales. Not to mention the digital attach ratio will probably be over 50% meaning more profit from software sold both 1st and 3rd party

If it's truly a monster that does 4k/60fps at that price I can see them selling 25m in 12 months. Ps plus by then should be taking in around 3BN annually so I don't see how selling at a loss would be a deal breaker.

A 2020 release for PS5 seems all but locked at this point. But yikes at $500 though. I hope Sony doesn't pull a PS3 and expect us to work two jobs just to afford it.

Adjusted for inflation, the 599 launch price of the 60gb PS3 is equal to about 750 in today's money. And the 300 launch price of the PS1 in today's money is 500. So 500 for PS5 doesn't seem that high at all.

Tenaciousmo

Adjusted for inflation, the 599 launch price of the 60gb PS3 is equal to about 750 in today's money. And the 300 launch price of the PS1 in today's money is 500. So 500 for PS5 doesn't seem that high at all.
500 USD is 658 Canadian rupees ... 750 roughly after tax (no extra games, controller)... I should start saving now...

Kenpachii

So basically he got nothing.
500 bucks for a console, yea good luck with that.
60fps 4k aint going to happen unless its some 1,5tflop designed game.

People aren't that broke

If they can spend $900 every two years for smartphone then $500 for a console that last for 7-8 year is a piece of cake

Mobile has a lot more uses then playing video games they are not comparable. It's like saying well he paid 50k for a car, so he can 50k also for a bike.

Last edited:

nowhat

Good about 8-Core Ryzen if true.
It's pretty much speculation at this point, but I'd see 8 physical cores as a reasonable choice, if BC to PS4 is to be expected. The "leaked" 6 core/12 thread design could handle it, sure - but it wouldn't be as straightforward and would probably require some intervention from Sony (like One->360 BC). And knowing Sony... it's one of the mysteries in life. They have some frightfully talented programmers in their first-party studios. Like seriously god tier. But when it comes to the corporation as whole, they can't seem to do jack shit. So hopefully the corporation won't have to do anything to achieve BC.

Last edited:

O-N-E

$500 is a mistake.

Coming out early will be an advantage, but I'm not convinced it'll offset the effect of the price. Maybe with a bulletproof and packed first year software lineup.

Airbus Jr

Banned
So basically he got nothing.
500 bucks for a console, yea good luck with that.
60fps 4k aint going to happen unless its some 1,5tflop designed game.

Mobile has a lot more uses then playing video games they are not comparable. It's like saying well he paid 50k for a car, so he can 50k also for a bike.

Not trying to be rude but people who unable/insuficient money/have problems spending $500 to buy videogame console should get priority straight than just playing videogames

i spent more than $500 in a week but that's just me

Last edited:

O-N-E

Not trying to be rude but people who unable/insuficient money/have problems spending $500 to buy videogame console should get priority straight than just playing videogames

i spent more than $500 in a week but that's just me

If people have their priorities straight, they will not buy a 500 dollar console. That's why we're saying it's a bad idea.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
500 dollars?
So I imagine £350-399/€450
I can see that being a possibility.

Whitecrow

Banned
PS4 Pro is already there. This kind of claim is completely dependent on how developers choose to utilize graphic assets. Everyone with a gaming PC knows this.
I translate it to you:
4K, 60fps, without looking like ass.

Pro cant do that.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
A $500 console with a GTX 2080 TI. Yeah, right.

Huh?

I mean, depending on how you like your graphic quality the Xbox One X has already achieved native 4K/60 on a few games off an old ass modified Jaguar. I don't see why the 2 new consoles shouldn't be able to hit it with much more regularity.

Ar¢tos

I'm OK with 500$ if it has decent cooling, no jet engine noise and no touch sensitive buttons. I still don't expect more than 16gb ram for that price since ram prices are insane now.
Maybe 16gb GDDR5X/6 + 4/8gb DDR3 for the secondary processor to deal with downloads and DVR.

Shin

Banned
Ehh hyperbole.. nothing "monster" about anything written except the price.
Seeing how Sony does stuff it's probably fake 4k to keep that 4k/60 but theyll overcharge our asses at $500 for it in near 2021.

Im being realistic with my expectations until I see 12—14Tf, Zen2 8/16 @ 3.2-3.5Ghz and 18—24Gb Samsung Gddr6.
If you have been researching this stuff in the recent years you'll know that it's not unreasonable and that Ms might pull it off.

$500 is totally fine. I even bought the PS3 at $599 and that was at launch and I was a teen using my part time job earnings to buy it. Considering inflation, considering the increasing smartphone prices, we really shouldn't be put off by a $100 increase from the PS4. I'm more concerned about other things, like Sony's policies, games, if there is a noticeable generational difference to justify the price, the price of the VR set, the technology and the support to it, other sellable features of the console, etc. Those things have a more lasting effect for me than an additional $100.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Why are people complaining about $500? Yet they throw $1000 at Apple/Samsung/Whoever for the same phone every year. You can't get a decent gaming rig for $500, and you wanna complain about a console/media device. I'd pay $600.

Last edited:

PocoJoe

Banned

I think it is comparable, as 300-400€ phone does all the same stuff as 1000€ phone, so if consumer can waste 1000€ into a phone when cheaper ones are "equal", then that kind of consumer doesnt care if console is 400 or 500€. More about type of consumer rather than absolute prices imo.

500 dollars?
So I imagine £350-399/€450
I can see that being a possibility.

No, 500$ = 500-550€

At least at Finland, almost all electronic prices are 1$ = 1€(or more than 1€)

Like i bought huawei matebook x pro:
1899€ for i7, no bonuses like gift cards
US: 1499$? + 300$ giftcard? = EU Price is like 40-50% more almost

And consoles have always been 399$ = 399€

HeresJohnny

It’s completely non viable at $500. Once it burns through 1-3 million hardcore fans who will buy at any price, it’ll be completely ignored by the mass market buyers who simply don’t want to pay half a grand to play a video game.

Airbus Jr

Banned
It’s completely non viable at $500. Once it burns through 1-3 million hardcore fans who will buy at any price, it’ll be completely ignored by the mass market buyers who simply don’t want to pay half a grand to play a video game.

$500 for a device that can last you 7-8 years is pretty cheap bro

Any lower than that and you l be getting another underpowered hardware

I get that people are making examples at PS4 doing great at $400 but it doesn't mean PS5 can't succeed at $500

PC gamer spend $2000 for the latest RTX 2060 card and nobody bats an eye

Not sure why $500 is such a huge problem

In 2006 i have a janitor at office that can purchases $600 PS3 on day one

If people make good saving and spend their money wisely $500 shouldn't be a big problem and if you really still do that means you have other bigger concern in your life than playing videogames

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Fine with $500 as long as it plays everything I have on my Pro so I can trade that noisy fucker in. Of course, it's probably going to be £450 here rather than the £400 it should be, because lolbritain.

I really don't think Sony are wanting/expecting to get these things to fly off the shelves immediately. They probably recognise that a lot of consumers aren't going to see the benefit straight away and won't upgrade until they really need to. Plenty of people still don't have/want 4K TVs and won't until they next upgrade. I imagine the game plan is to have plenty of games that will work on 4 but be improved on 5, to begin with. You have to remember that a huge chunk of console sales are made up by the people who just play sports games and COD every year, and those people aren't going to give much of a shit about a new box straight away when the 4 works just fine.

Shin

Banned
$500 is fine as long as they deliver, don't want a half baked effort.
It's everything or nothing...that's just me.

HeresJohnny

$500 for a device that can last you 7-8 years is pretty cheap bro

Any lower than that and you l be getting another underpowered hardware

I get that people are making examples at PS4 doing great at $400 but it doesn't mean PS5 can't succeed at $500
Except that no system has ever attained mass market success at that price point. And even those that have launched high have dropped within a short amount of time (PS3 and Xbone) ad stumbled for years or never really recovered from it. Most buyers aside from the super hardcore that go to video game forums will either wait for a drop or not jump in at all and will simply continue to play their current gen system.

Also keep in mind most of the public never saw the PS4 or Xbone as underpowered. They think they still look pretty damn good.

EDIT: also keep in mind that by some estimates only half the country will have a 4K set by the time this launches. I understand the idea of future proofing but as of right now, the term 4K doesn’t mean fuck all to most of the public, which will replace a TV organically when it fails but not to play a video game on a $500 console. People are way overestimating the lengths people will go to play what is essentially a toy.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Except that no system has ever attained mass market success at that price point. And even those that have launched high have dropped within a short amount of time (PS3 and Xbone) ad stumbled for years or never really recovered from it. Most buyers aside from the super hardcore that go to video game forums will either wait for a drop or not jump in at all and will simply continue to play their current gen system.

Also keep in mind most of the public never saw the PS4 or Xbone as underpowered. They think they still look pretty damn good.

Tbh I think me and most people on this forum don't really care about these so called "mass market group" think with their money

If these..."mass market" don't want ps5 and want to game to mobile gaming etc then let them be

Were here at gaming forum wanted the best option posible for nextgen system with reasonable affordable prices and I think at $500 it's still make common sense around here

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Tbh I think me and most people on this forum don't really care about these so called "mass market appeal" you're talking about

If these..."mass market" don't want ps5 and want to game to mobile gaming etc then let them be

Were here at gaming forum wanted the best option posible for nextgen system with reasonable affordable prices and I think at $500 it's still make common sense around here
Well then you’d be buying a PC.

And you don’t need to care about a system’s reception, that is true. However when it dies due to lack of support I doubt you’ll be happy about it. The truth is that In the grand scheme of things, guys like you and I simply light the fuse, the mass market is the bomb. No mass market and you have a dead platform.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Well then you’d be buying a PC.

And you don’t need to care about a system’s reception, that is true. However when it dies due to lack of support I doubt you’ll be happy about it. The truth is that In the grand scheme of things, guys like you and I simply light the fuse, the mass market is the bomb. No mass market and you have a dead platform.

You keep bringing these mass market issues

Now let me ask you how much the PS4 cost compared to Nintendo Switch?

Ps4 is like $400 right ? Switch is cheaper?

By your mass market theory switch should be selling more right?

Then why everyone keep buying PS4 over switch ? ps4 just won another chart in October

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Why are people complaining about $500? Yet they throw $1000 at Apple/Samsung/Whoever for the same phone every year. You can't get a decent gaming rig for $500, and you wanna complain about a console/media device. I'd pay $600.
Well, just don't have to buy 60 $ games for the phone so....

The first manufacturer who figures out how to combine the console with a game subscription pass like Gamepass in a meaningful way can charge 1.000+ $ for the console.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

You keep bringing these mass market issues

Now let me ask you how much the PS4 cost compared to Nintendo Switch?

Ps4 is like $400 right ? Switch is cheaper?

By your mass market theory switch should be selling more right?

Then why everyone keep buying PS4 over switch ? ps4 just won chart in October
PS4 is $299; the same price as a Switch. And it’ll be $199 on Black Friday.

Contrary to what most on this forum believe, the Pro and X are niche products that will not be responsible for getting systems into homes this holiday season.

Airbus Jr

Banned
PS4 is $299; the same price as a Switch. And it’ll be $199 on Black Friday.

Contrary to what most on this forum believe, the Pro and X are niche products that will not be responsible for getting systems into homes this holiday season.

I'm curious how you gonna fit a system that have similar performance to a Vega 64 or GTX 1080TI into a $399 system

Seriously dude i don't understand why it bothers you so much about what these "mass market people " think and about to do with their own money

We have our own priority here don't have time to be concerned about what others are doing with their lifes

Last edited:

Allandor

Well with other words, nothing was really leaked.

Just some specs of a dev-machine like early dev-environments. Even sony won't really know what the final specs are right now. They have a direction ("Expect something like …") and nothing more.
I would say, the end specs and price will depend on how the memory prices are evolving in the next few months.

If it will be 7nm, I expect a doubled xbox one x (without doubling the memory) and with a ryzen-based CPU. Nothing really groundbreaking.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

I'm curious how you gonna fit a system that have similar performance to a Vega 64 or GTX 1080TI into a $399 system

Seriously dude i don't understand why it bothers you so much about what these "mass market people " think and about to do with their own money

We have our own priority here stop thinking about what those mass market casuals think
Because if I buy a console it’s an investment with the hope that it’s going to be self sustaining long enough to where it cost justifies for me. Again, no mass market, no platform.

As to how to fit high end tech at a reasonable price, well that’s for them to figure out. An old saying in my industry applies: if this shit were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Thiagosc777

This makes no sense whatsoever. It is just fanboys trying to spin this into a positive thing.

For a 2019 release, they would need to announce it earlier in the year, either at some event or E3, for it to come out by the end of the year. So the press and fans can see and test the system. If they had any announcement to make, then they wouldn't skip E3.

The only reason MS announced Xbox Scarlett is because members of the press spreading rumours about them leaving the industry, so they had to confirm they are staying. Sony get special treatment from the media, so they don't have to announce things years in advance.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'm fine with a $500 price tag but yeah at that price it's kind of a gamble with the mass market.

Prices for electronic devices will depreciate over time

By the time it hit $300-$400 probably will be the time these "mass market " will jump in

Last edited:

bitbydeath

This makes no sense whatsoever. It is just fanboys trying to spin this into a positive thing.

For a 2019 release, they would need to announce it earlier in the year, either at some event or E3, for it to come out by the end of the year. So the press and fans can see and test the system. If they had any announcement to make, then they wouldn't skip E3.

The only reason MS announced Xbox Scarlett is because members of the press spreading rumours about them leaving the industry, so they had to confirm they are staying. Sony get special treatment from the media, so they don't have to announce things years in advance.

Think you mis-read. This rumour states 2020 as the year. Not 2019. And it’s coming from the same person who started the rumour of Sony not attending E3.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom