• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
When are the RWBY breaks for this season? This week's episode is another Tales of Remnant but is there another afterwards?

Yeah- The schedule should be:

9/18 - World of Remnant #2
9/25 - Episode 8
10/2 - Episode 9
10/9 - Episode 10
10/16 - World of Remnant #3
10/23 - Episode 11
10/30 - Episode 12 (Finale)

with a fourth World of Remnant being saved for teh Blu-Ray

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Yeah- The schedule should be:
9/18 - World of Remnant #2
9/25 - Episode 8
10/2 - Episode 9
10/9 - Episode 10
10/16 - World of Remnant #3
10/23 - Episode 11
10/30 - Episode 12 (Finale)
with a fourth World of Remnant being saved for teh Blu-Ray
Thank you.
Do we know what they are doing this week? Are they gonna give us a Podcast and Q&A or are they just gonna drop Tales of Remnant #2?

coolasj19

Also, if the upcoming Tales of Remnant and placing of them is anything like the first half of the season then... The next arc will be 3 episodes as their "...first mission is after the dance..." I believe. And, the thing it covers will somehow relate to the arc, Dust infused clothing and Black Cinder.

Thank you.
Do we know what they are doing this week? Are they gonna give us a Podcast and Q&A or are they just gonna drop Tales of Remnant #2?

I don't see any announcements of a podcast or calls for questions, so I'm assuming its just the WoR video.

As for possible topics, I'd say: Aura, Semblances, Grimm, the Four Kingdoms of Remnant, Faunus, Huntsmen and Huntresses, and the past wars they keep alluding to are possibilities. Its also possible that there are things that haven't come up yet that will be important down the line.

coolasj19

I don't see any announcements of a podcast or calls for questions, so I'm assuming its just the WoR video.
As for possible topics, I'd say: Aura, Semblances, Grimm, the Four Kingdoms of Remnant, Faunus, Huntsmen and Huntresses, and the past wars they keep alluding to are possibilities. Its also possible that there are things that haven't come up yet that will be important down the line.
I'm gonna hedge my bets on Grim origins and their relationship to Dust. Wild speculation is that Cinder is going to use tons of Dust to bait Grim into attacking Vale. Or something. I don't freaking know.

Are the Grimm really dangerous? We haven't seen them do much. Or anything, for that matter. They just seem like regular animals

A lot of the shots from the trailer changed between the trailer itself and the episodes- mainly because the trailer changed most of the new costume shots back to the originals and took the food out of shots of the food fight.

As it stands, though, there is only one shot from the trailer that hasn't appeared in the Volume yet. This one:

lastshot_zpsee809c95.jpg

I'm guessing this is either from Team RWBY's mission or from the fallout of whatever Cinder is up to.

coolasj19

Are the Grimm really dangerous? We haven't seen them do much. Or anything, for that matter. They just seem like regular animals
Season 1 Episode 8 was pretty cool. But do they pose an active threat to humanity? I never noticed. But maybe that's because the Hunters and Huntresses are doing such good jobs right now?
A lot of the shots from the trailer changed between the trailer itself and the episodes- mainly because the trailer changed most of the new costume shots back to the originals and took the food out of shots of the food fight.
As it stands, though, there is only one shot from the trailer that hasn't appeared in the Volume yet. This one:
lastshot_zpsee809c95.jpg

I'm guessing this is either from Team RWBY's mission or from the fallout of whatever Cinder is up to.
I would just like to say, I came up with my prediction without knowing that shot was in the trailer.

The impression I gathered was that the Grimm nearly stamped out humanity before mankind learned to harness Dust. Now they're a threat to small groups of people, but the Huntsmen and Huntresses keep them from being an apocalyptic issue.

The impression I gathered was that the Grimm nearly stamped out humanity before mankind learned to harness Dust. Now they're a threat to small groups of people, but the Huntsmen and Huntresses keep them from being an apocalyptic issue.

Yeah, the Hunters are there to keep them from becoming a threat again.

Today's Tales of Remnant should be interesting.

coolasj19

Yeah, the Hunters are there to keep them from becoming a threat again.
Today's Tales of Remnant should be interesting.
Or not. The only interesting things I got from this was things I extrapolated. But, it did give us location of the kingdoms and I can work with that with some questions. What's all that land in the northeast? Grim territory? Who Ruby and Yang have protecting their little house when Summer died?

I say Team RWBY's first mission is checking out a settlement that hasn't reported in a while. Everything will be "fine", they'll get underwhelmed and bored, get nosy and find something they weren't supposed to that sets off the finale.

Veelk

Banned
Umz....those can't be the only strong points, can there? Like, those cities are the capitols, right?

Because there is just no way that those 4 tiny pinpricks can control the whole continent like that.

They should have better illustrated the country borders better. Also, so those 2 other continents or whatever are on their own or what?

They should have better illustrated the country borders better. Also, so those 2 other continents or whatever are on their own or what?

The lower continent is Menagerie. There was a war fought between the Faunus and people trying to exile them there. Not sure what the upper one is.

So, from what I'm putting together, Remnant is basically a post Zombie apocalypse scenario, where the zombies (in this case the Grimm) still pose a threat, but civilization has recovered enough to have systems in place to make the threat a non-issue for most of society.

Between taking control over the Dust supply and arming the White Fang, Cinder seems to be stoking the flames of war to try and break down the Kingdoms. The big question is why? Is she simply a death worshiping psychopath, or is she trying to make civilization maleable enough for her to shape it as she sees fit? Maybe she's a survivor of one of the vanished nomadic groups or colonies trying to take revenge on behalf of her lost people.

coolasj19

Umz....those can't be the only strong points, can there? Like, those cities are the capitols, right?
Because there is just no way that those 4 tiny pinpricks can control the whole continent like that.
Well, if you take this map
Rwby_map9000.jpg

and extrapolate some borders (assuming every place is roughly the size of Vale) you get some sizable but still small borders.
The lower continent is Menagerie. There was a war fought between the Faunus and people trying to exile them there. Not sure what the upper one is.
So, from what I'm putting together, Remnant is basically a post Zombie apocalypse scenario, where the zombies (in this case the Grimm) still pose a threat, but civilization has recovered enough to have systems in place to make the threat a non-issue for most of society.
Between taking control over the Dust supply and arming the White Fang, Cinder seems to be stoking the flames of war to try and break down the Kingdoms. The big question is why? Is she simply a death worshiping psychopath, or is she trying to make civilization maleable enough for her to shape it as she sees fit? Maybe she's a survivor of one of the vanished nomadic groups or colonies trying to take revenge on behalf of her lost people.
Which makes your understanding all the more valuable.
Seeing all the continents makes Cinder's plan seem a bit... small. Whatever it is.
Is it just me or does that eastern continent look like a woman's face?
That north western area looks kind of like a dragon.:p
I think the continents look like someone squirted ketchup in a napkin, crumpled it up, then laid it back out.

Haven't really followed this since the original trailers. Loved Monty Oums work since Halo and Dead Fantasy.

Are the fight scenes good? My mate who is into anime says its nowhere near as action packed as his previous work would suggest. This true?

Haven't really followed this since the original trailers. Loved Monty Oums work since Halo and Dead Fantasy.

Are the fight scenes good? My mate who is into anime says its nowhere near as action packed as his previous work would suggest. This true?

Volume 1 was 16 episodes, with probably four fight scenes of note.

Volume 2 has aired seven episodes so far, with as many action sequences as all of season 1.

The fights themselves are of similar quality, but are a smaller piece of the pie since they need to devote time to character development and plot progression rather than just building action sequences.

coolasj19

I need to revise my predictions for the next few episodes.
Their first mission is Monday after the dance, but Ironwood is gonna tie up Ruby with the breakin investigation. Maybe the last 2 episodes are the Tournament x Grim invading Vale? I mean, it has to happen this season right? It's not the fucking Reverie, can't tease that shit for a straight 2 seasons... can you? Please don't Monty and Co.

I need to revise my predictions for the next few episodes.
Their first mission is Monday after the dance, but Ironwood is gonna tie up Ruby with the breakin investigation. Maybe the last 2 episodes are the Tournament x Grim invading Vale? I mean, it has to happen this season right? It's not the fucking Reverie, can't tease that shit for a straight 2 seasons... can you? Please don't Monty and Co.

Maybe they will start but it will be interrupted leaving on a dramatic cliff hanger for season 3!

This week's AfterbuzzTV will be Shannon McCormick (Professor Ozpin, RvB's Agent Washington) and Kathleen Zuelch (Glynda Goodwitch, RvB's Agent Texas)

ByP_j5ACEAAxVeG.jpg:large

coolasj19

This week's AfterbuzzTV will be Shannon McCormick (Professor Ozpin, RvB's Agent Washington) and Kathleen Zuelch (Glynda Goodwitch, RvB's Agent
They got both of the RT Superstars!! McCormick and Kathleen and the best VA they have I say.

I got my RWBY Blu-Ray finally. Lets just say the packaging is... underwhelming. The box art design itself is pretty meh and there's not even any inserts. To be fair, I'm comparing it to standard anime releases, so that was impossible to match up to from the get go.

The quality of the video itself is amazing though. Flawless.

naeS

They got both of the RT Superstars!! McCormick and Kathleen and the best VA they have I say.

I got my RWBY Blu-Ray finally. Lets just say the packaging is... underwhelming. The box art design itself is pretty meh and there's not even any inserts. To be fair, I'm comparing it to standard anime releases, so that was impossible to match up to from the get go.

The quality of the video itself is amazing though. Flawless.

I bought the Bluray without having seen any of the show prior. The lack of content in the packaging didn't bother me at first. But once I watched it and enjoyed it so much I said the same thing.

Veelk

Banned
Holy tonal whiplash batman.

You have this serious, brooding, doom impending conversation...you don't just bring that kind of slapstick like that out of nowhere!

Other than that, decent ep I guess, though I wonder where Ruby is going with the mountain base thing.

coolasj19

You have this serious, brooding, doom impending conversation...you don't just bring that kind of slapstick like that out of nowhere!
Other than that, decent ep I guess, though I wonder where Ruby is going with the mountain base thing.
I enjoyed Ruby doing everything in her power to not make eye contact while walking into the room. She's gotten better and diffusing situations though =D
You mean you don't like physical humour?!
It was a tad out of place
but maybe they're still playing up the "They're still children" angle. But the humour scene itself was fine and holy batman are they playing up the Blake is cat thing in the best ways possible. I know exactly where Ruby is going with the "Mountain Base Thing" but what I'm confused about is how the hell do they know about it? Ohhhhhhh. Did Torchwick say that during the White Fang speech? Gotta watch it again.

Best thing about this episode was even though there was no filler fight like "Pyrrha vs CRDL", there was a super serious discussion just like I said they needed to do. They didn't tie up the Team RWBY mission and they did speak in tongue. Not the best but by far the most interesting part was good info on what the war 80 years ago was. So now we know why as many characters as possible are named after colors. And he says "trend" not "tradition", so it's okay.

Throughout the episode I was going "Why is everyone being so cryptic when everyone is on the same page?" but after watching again, no one is being cryptic. It's very obvious they're on the same page and Ozpin is just being obtuse like he always is.

To Look Forward To : Monty and Co were teasing that specific professors weapon in this RWBY Commentary track and I really need to know what it is now. They were super excited about animating his fight scenes. We get to see Joel Heyman voice act for the next 2 episodes !!

Edit: When you engage the enemy who do you send in first? The flag bearer of the scout? Uhhh is Team RWBY or Oobleck or both the scout?

They mentioned it in one of the previous episodes. I can't remember which one specifically though.

I
When you engage the enemy who do you send in first? The flag bearer of the scout? Uhhh is Team RWBY or Oobleck or both the scout?

I think the flag bearer is supposed to the army (pretty sure flag bearers ride with the army) while the scouts are supposed to be
RWBY and Oobleck
who will ultimately be doing some sneaking around in that south east Vale area that was mentioned.

This episode was good. That ending though. Watch
Oobleck
turn into a killing machine once they encounter some Grimm.

Calcium

Banned
Well, that dog came out of nowhere. Was that supposed to be funny? I rarely get this shows humor.

Looking forward to seeing Joel Heyman show everyone in RWBY how it is done. Joel makes everything better.

Wanderer5

Lol at Blake during the dog scene; she showing her feline side.XD Also be interesting to see that professor in action heh. That was pretty good, especially with Ozpin.

this show takes itself too seriously now

i miss the old days, when the episodes were directionless

What good would directionless be for this show now? It makes a mess, like how the first volume was, and continuing it on is just going to make it worse. This volume has become so much better and enjoyable with better story structure. I think it great that they are getting more serious, while also keeping light hearted-ness around course.

Monday there's going to be a 1-hour livestream leading up to the season finale of Red vs Blue. I'm hoping we get one for RWBY as well.

and for those who didn't watch all the way through the credits:

BybJlRsIMAAl69M.jpg

Monday there's going to be a 1-hour livestream leading up to the season finale of Red vs Blue. I'm hoping we get one for RWBY as well.

and for those who didn't watch all the way through the credits:

BybJlRsIMAAl69M.jpg

Is this a new show?

As funny as that scene was in context, it reminded me of the first season. Do the police of Vale use dogs to break protests?

That sounds like it would be effective. I really wasn't expecting them to introduce a pet dog though.

I'm digging this show, but I'd like to see more team JNPR in action.

Same here. The last we saw of team JNPR was Pyrrha's fight in episode 5 and then the dance in episode 7. We should be seeing them in action soon though, since everyone's going on assignments I imagine they'll cut scenes between the two groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom