• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RWBY |OT| Volume 5 starts October 14, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
First off, I tried to start RWBY on my PS4 when it launched... Youtube 144p looked better. A corrupted 8-Track sounded better too. But holy crap this episode was just great !! Lore, drama, backstory, set-up. What the heck happened to the crew that wrote Season 1s School Scenes? Did they get writing lessons from Burnie? =P None of that awkwardness is here now, the deliveries were as good as they were gonna get considering. Only negative was some of the rigging but there was tons of unconventional movement so I can't blame them. I'm gonna watch it a couple of more times, and type some stuff up while watching football.

But why?
So I can empathize. I think all but the worst of RWBY episodes are great. It's why I need conversation. My critical critiquing forgets to work when I watch this show.

I don't know. Felt like nothing happened. The scene between Yang and Blake was alright, but the romance drama with Jaune is just so dull. And then before you know it, the episode is over. 12 minutes is far too short to give Jaune any screen time.

coolasj19

I don't know. Felt like nothing happened. The scene between Yang and Blake was alright, but the romance drama with Jaune is just so dull. And then before you know it, the episode is over. 12 minutes is far too short to give Jaune any screen time.
Let me go skim the episode again. I almost agree about Juane. When his scene was going I literally stopped looking at the scene and watched a commercial that was on TV but the rest of team JNPR pulled that scene through. Especially Queen Nora. But even then, he got no more than 2 or 3 minutes of the 12. If anything, I expected people to get moody over Ruby being, well, all moody this episode for some reason. She reminds me of me in Highschool actually. Getting all blegh when big social events reared their ugly head.

coolasj19

episode 5 book 1 legend of korra shit realness
I know the basics of story arc progressions but this season is doing it straight with little deviation. Shockingly similar to LoK S1 now that you mention it. Or maybe I'm just drawing parallels where there are none.

Hackworth

If anything, I expected people to get moody over Ruby being, well, all moody this episode for some reason. She reminds me of me in Highschool actually. Getting all blegh when big social events reared their ugly head.
It's 'cause Ruby is cute but Jaune isn't. There were parts of the fandom expecting she'd show up in combat boots.

coolasj19

It's 'cause Ruby is cute but Jaune isn't. There were parts of the fandom expecting she'd show up in combat boots.
You and me both know the only reason that didn't happen is
because Yang (or/and Weiss) dressed her. Cause she obviously didn't pick out those heels herself =]. Looks like things aren't gonna start hitting the fan until late next episode. We still have to go through Juana x Pyrrha drama. Though, if it's like this episode, I don't think I'll mind too much.
I get the feeling that when Jaune finally does something badass, it'll be the most amazing thing in the season so far.

naeS

I really liked this episode. It was a good filler, calm before the storm obviously. The scene with Yang and Blake was great, loved Yang's story. Jaune's scene was fine, kind of cliche but whatever. Cinder lying in shadows... Can't wait. And I bet Ruby's boots are close by.

First off, I tried to start RWBY on my PS4 when it launched... Youtube 144p looked better. A corrupted 8-Track sounded better too. But holy crap this episode was just great !! Lore, drama, backstory, set-up. What the heck happened to the crew that wrote Season 1s School Scenes? Did they get writing lessons from Burnie? =P None of that awkwardness is here now, the deliveries were as good as they were gonna get considering. Only negative was some of the rigging but there was tons of unconventional movement so I can't blame them. I'm gonna watch it a couple of more times, and type some stuff up while watching football.

That quality issue might have something to do with when episodes are just going up. You should try later to see if the same issue still persists.

Overall I really liked this episode. They could have
jumped into another battle but I appreciate that they took the time to slow things down a bit and go over a few issues that have been present for a while.

I'll just put my points in bullet point format.

- Biggest thing that happened this episode was the exchange between Yang and Blake. Here we finally get some background information on Ruby and Yang's family, and how Ruby's mother went missing during a mission. We also learn that Yang's mother is gone as well and these losses destroyed their father. Most important lesson Yang wanted to impart here is that Blake shouldn't destroy herself desperately looking for answers because that kind of recklessness might cause her to lose her life like what almost happened with Yang and Ruby. This is the kind of bonding moment that we've been due for for a while now.

- Jaune deciding to speak frankly with Ren (and Nora) was nice since we really haven't had a scene like that with team JNPR so far. Seeing Nora act normally for once was also nice since I was worried whether or not they would have her be hyper 100% of the time. It makes her more relate-able in the sense that she's capable of discussing serious situations instead of just being comedy relief. It seems that Pyrrha's affection for Jaune is obvious to Nora and Ren based on that small scene after Jaune left.

- I'm hoping that Jaune's arc with Weiss ends this season, as I'd like him to move past this and continue the progression he's started since season 1. I'm actually curious if Neptune even accepted Weiss' invitation since we didn't see him at the dance.

- I liked that just as things were ending on a relatively happy note for everyone involved we're reminded that something bad is going to go down next episode with Emerald and Mercury's entrance at the end. This is actually a rather effective choice I think, building things up throughout then including a scene at the end to subtly let the viewer know that it's going to come crashing down in the next episode.

I'll post/edit again if I come up with some more points after re-watching it later tonight.

Wanderer5

Well that was a pretty nice low key episode even through Jaune's arc is still pretty bleh at the moment, but well it was nice they brought in JNPR a bit. The talk between Blake and Yang was sweet and I LOVE the style that the flashback had. Then the dance has come, and Ruby was quite amusing, and looks cute with the bits of red in her hair (edit: oh she had them all this time, I didn't notice that before lol). Also with Yang wearing a white dress, I thought of snow white and red rose in comparsion to Ruby and Yang.XD Well can't wait to see what Cinder is planning.

Archgan

I liked the change of pace in this episode. It did a really good job of portraying the calm before the storm.

I have a sort of out there theory about Yang's mom. I was thinking it could be Cinder. I don't really have an proof except that Yang's eyes turn red when she's emotional. I was just thinking that the way they are setting up her story, it feels like the mom is still alive. If it was her, there could be a future plot point when Yang finds out who her mom is and has to make a decision or Cinder tries to convince her to join her(a la Darth Vader).

Wanderer5

I liked the change of pace in this episode. It did a really good job of portraying the calm before the storm.

I have a sort of out there theory about Yang's mom. I was thinking it could be Cinder. I don't really have an proof except that Yang's eyes turn red when she's emotional. I was just thinking that the way they are setting up her story, it feels like the mom is still alive. If it was her, there could be a future plot point when Yang finds out who her mom is and has to make a decision or Cinder tries to convince her to join her(a la Darth Vader).

Wasn't it said that Cinder is still young, like in the 20's?

DominoKid

is Cinder supposed to be old?

Every episode I wait for Ozpin to smile and then suddenly destroy everything with a single shout and then stand in a crater with an awkward boner.

Every episode I go away disappointed.

Archgan

is Cinder supposed to be old?

Guess that debunks my theory. I thought there was only a 10 percent chance of it being true, anyway. Just wanted to see if anyone knew something that disproved it or backed it up.

Edit: Just looked it up and apparently there hasn't been anything said about it. She does look young but anime characters' ages are hard to tell. I was also thinking that she might be using dust to look young but that is just wild speculation.

Veelk

Banned
I read some posts, expecting the worst, but turns out I'm not sure what you guys are talking about.

Juane's still a dunce, but atleast this was a more genuine sort of thing to do, which I'll gladly take over his asinine antics. It's good they explained why he's got such a raging hard-on for Weiss, but...I still don't get it. Everything he talked about, Pyhhra can do better, other than the singing. Actually, if he just really loved her voice, I'd have thought that'd have been better, but they'd have had to include him listening to her sing at one point for it to be showing, not telling. Whatever, atleast he can finally move on to 2nd Best Girl.

Meanwhile, Yang has always been my favorite character, so seeing her backstory is perfect for me. It's even a good backstory, finally giving her a motive and a goal. I liked the 2D concept art they used. It's wierd, but for whatever reason, I feel they write Yang better than any other character in the series, somehow. I can't quite put my finger on it. Her jokes just somehow land better, her awesome moments are more impressive than others...idk, girl knows how to work me, I guess.

The only other thing has been Ruby, and I don't really get where they're going with her character. Her thing is obviously that she isn't social, but...she kind of is. She had 7 really close friends between RWBY and JNPR, plus the monkey and neptune guys joining in, plus Penny. It's just her idea of having a good time involves fighting instead of dancing, but that makes her a tomboy, not asocial. Ozpin is kind of off here.

Whatever. I want her to meet Cinder and establish an personal stakes with the antagonist already. So far, we only got Blake vs Torchwick in the way of that, and that's seriously weak since she opposes the organization more than anything, and Torchwick doesn't care about the white fang beyond what he can use them for.

It's been hours since the premiere, can I not spoiler my post now? If I have to, just tell me and I will, but it seems it's aired for everyone by now.

Yeah. Monty said she's young enough that she could pass for a senior student. Since the new students (except Ruby, who got bumped up two years) start at 17, Cinder's probably somewhere in her mid twenties.

coolasj19

Actually, if he just really loved her voice, I'd have thought that'd have been better, but they'd have had to include him listening to her sing at one point for it to be showing, not telling. Whatever, atleast he can finally move on to 2nd Best Girl.
Pretty sure the "Have you heard her sing?" is a reference to the White Trailer. Actually, this is useful information since now that we know that Monty at some point decided to make all the trailers canon and not tell anyone. Combine that with the "Boys have only cared about the perks of my last name" - Weiss, and we can place the White Trailer somewhere. Obviously, she used to do concerts just like the one in the trailer. Did Juane go to one of these concerts? Or where they televised? I don't know how how he wouldn't have recognized her immediately if he went to a concert so I'm assuming it was televised or recorded or something. Then again I'm making a few leaps and Juane and Pyrrha are gonna have another one of their trademark rooftop talks next episode if the S2 trailer is anything to go by (it is). Dude needs to figure out his semblance already.

Meanwhile, Yang has always been my favorite character, so seeing her backstory is perfect for me. It's even a good backstory, finally giving her a motive and a goal. I liked the 2D concept art they used. It's wierd, but for whatever reason, I feel they write Yang better than any other character in the series, somehow. I can't quite put my finger on it. Her jokes just somehow land better, her awesome moments are more impressive than others...idk, girl knows how to work me, I guess.
The only other thing has been Ruby, and I don't really get where they're going with her character. Her thing is obviously that she isn't social, but...she kind of is. She had 7 really close friends between RWBY and JNPR, plus the monkey and neptune guys joining in, plus Penny. It's just her idea of having a good time involves fighting instead of dancing, but that makes her a tomboy, not asocial. Ozpin is kind of off here.
Alright, I'm gonna vouch for Ruby here. I wouldn't call her anti-social but she's definitely introverted. I also wouldn't call all of Team JNPR close friends but that's besides the point and you're actually probably right on that. But the key things that makes her that way is that she is not in her element when she doesn't have her friends around. If you go through the series, she's never made friends without an already established friend around her (Except Juane?). During the dance, everyone is doing something or with someone, leaving nobody for her. She knew that going in because it's the nature of a dance that people pair off and then it happens during the dance and she's basically that kid in the corner wishing she was at home. Yang said as much in S1 E2.

Yang - "Something something come out of your shell"
Ruby - "I don't need friends, I have you."
Yang - "lol no bye."

I think the show is just making sure we remember what Ruby's default state is. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna go anywhere unless the team seperates (which would be either dumb or great -_-) but it's still important.
Whatever. I want her to meet Cinder and establish an personal stakes with the antagonist already. So far, we only got Blake vs Torchwick in the way of that, and that's seriously weak since she opposes the organization more than anything, and Torchwick doesn't care about the white fang beyond what he can use them for.
Cinder just needs some social links to the squad. Right now she's just a big bad and not a villain. Hell, the team doesn't even know she exists. I had always thought she'd be revealed to be part of Team Summer Rose along with Winter Scene. But unless she is Yangs mom somehow (lol =P) that isn't going to happen =(.
It's been hours since the premiere, can I not spoiler my post now? If I have to, just tell me and I will, but it seems it's aired for everyone by now.
I say Midnight Thursday. But honestly after 8pm CST works too. I don't come here on Thursday before watching the episode...
Every episode I wait for Ozpin to smile and then suddenly destroy everything with a single shout and then stand in a crater with an awkward boner.
Every episode I go away disappointed.
Do not mind the man behind the curtain!
If it was her, there could be a future plot point when Yang finds out who her mom is and has to make a decision or Cinder tries to convince her to join her(a la Darth Vader).[/SPOILER]
If anyone were to go bad, it'd be Yang. She'd have her reasons.

Veelk

Banned
Pretty sure the "Have you heard her sing?" is a reference to the White Trailer. Actually, this is useful information since now that we know that Monty at some point decided to make all the trailers canon and not tell anyone. Combine that with the "Boys have only cared about the perks of my last name" - Weiss, and we can place the White Trailer somewhere. Obviously, she used to do concerts just like the one in the trailer. Did Juane go to one of these concerts? Or where they televised? I don't know how how he wouldn't have recognized her immediately if he went to a concert so I'm assuming it was televised or recorded or something. Then again I'm making a few leaps and Juane and Pyrrha are gonna have another one of their trademark rooftop talks next episode if the S2 trailer is anything to go by (it is). Dude needs to figure out his semblance already.

We already knew that from Yang having an established relationship with the club owner, and Blake having a background in White Fang, so I already knew Wiess sang. And we still should have seen Juane listening to her. More showing, less telling. But you'd be surprised how many people don't recognize obvious celebs. A friend of mine didn't recognize a singer whose concert she went to.

Alright, I'm gonna vouch for Ruby here. I wouldn't call her anti-social but she's definitely introverted. I also wouldn't call all of Team JNPR close friends but that's besides the point and you're actually probably right on that. But the key things that makes her that way is that she is not in her element when she doesn't have her friends around. If you go through the series, she's never made friends without an already established friend around her (Except Juane?). During the dance, everyone is doing something or with someone, leaving nobody for her. She knew that going in because it's the nature of a dance that people pair off and then it happens during the dance and she's basically that kid in the corner wishing she was at home. Yang said as much in S1 E2.

Yang - "Something something come out of your shell"
Ruby - "I don't need friends, I have you."
Yang - "lol no bye."

I think the show is just making sure we remember what Ruby's default state is. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna go anywhere unless the team seperates (which would be either dumb or great -_-) but it's still important.

Well, she's still not doing that at the dance. And frankly, I don't see why she needs to. If she's happy with her friends, and obviously isn't introverted to the point where she can't interact with others, who cares?

Cinder just needs some social links to the squad. Right now she's just a big bad and not a villain. Hell, the team doesn't even know she exists. I had always thought she'd be revealed to be part of Team Summer Rose along with Winter Scene. But unless she is Yangs mom somehow (lol =P) that isn't going to happen =(.

Well, that's what I'm saying. There hasn't been any interaction between the main protagonist and antagonist in a season and a half. Get on with it, I say.

coolasj19

We already knew that from Yang having an established relationship with the club owner, and Blake having a background in White Fang, so I already knew Wiess sang. And we still should have seen Juane listening to her. More showing, less telling. But you'd be surprised how many people don't recognize obvious celebs. A friend of mine didn't recognize a singer whose concert she went to.
Wording. I had bad wording. I knew this. And I agree, I think they probably shouldn't have mentioned it but I guess they had to tie the trailer in somehow. We'll be done with Juane being an idiot shortly. Yeah, I don't know anything about concerts. Only one I've ever been to was a Muse concert and a The Script concert because my Uncle gave me free tickets because he plays with them.
Well, she's still not doing that at the dance. And frankly, I don't see why she needs to. If she's happy with her friends, and obviously isn't introverted to the point where she can't interact with others, who cares?
Still not doing what? I'm confused.
But otherwise, no one cares. The show is just making sure we remember that Ruby isn't a social butterfly and Ozpin is there to go "Hey, don't grow up too fast." I'm just saying, Ruby would very clearly rather be back in her room and it's not a new development. Also, with the news that Ozpin was part of the same team Summer Rose was, it adds some kind of layer to their conversation. I still haven't watched the episode again (football just ended) so there could just be nothing. Ozpin gonna Ozpin.

It was weird not seeing Weiss there at the dance... Wonder what she's doing.
Well, that's what I'm saying. There hasn't been any interaction between the main protagonist and antagonist in a season and a half. Get on with it, I say.
There's always that moment where Ruby bumped into Cinder and looked at her suspiciously. But I don't have a handle on the RWBY writing team so that could mean anything, all the way down to nothing.

Veelk

Banned
Still not doing what? I'm confused.
But otherwise, no one cares. The show is just making sure we remember that Ruby isn't a social butterfly and Ozpin is there to go "Hey, don't grow up too fast." I'm just saying, Ruby would very clearly rather be back in her room and it's not a new development. Also, with the news that Ozpin was part of the same team Summer Rose was, it adds some kind of layer to their conversation. I still haven't watched the episode again (football just ended) so there could just be nothing. Ozpin gonna Ozpin.

She's still not making new friends without established friends in the environment. She's just waiting for the thing to be over, and Ozpin's telling her this is the greatest time of her life. She's got her team, Juane, Penny, and it's likely to grow naturally. If she's happy with that, I don't see why she needs to make other friends at random social gatherings she doesn't even like going to. Leave the poor girl alone, Oz.

It was weird not seeing Weiss there at the dance... Wonder what she's doing.

Chilling with Neptune, I imagine.

There's always that moment where Ruby bumped into Cinder and looked at her suspiciously. But I don't have a handle on the RWBY writing team so that could mean anything, all the way down to nothing.

It wasn't suspicious as much as it was curious. A random bump in both of them probably forgot about isn't good interaction. They need to actually speak to each other and learn about each other to be more than merely on opposing sides.

coolasj19

I had a big post written up but it got wiped. So instead, a couple of requests.

Can anyone get the tune at the end of the episode recorded? I love it o_O. And secondly, and most importantly, RWBY won the Streamy for both Best Animated Show and Original Score. I'm thinking...

RWBY |OT| Streamy Winner for Best Animated Show And Original Score

On Sunday they stream the award ceremony thing. Funnily enough, Roosterteeth itself didn't win a damn thing.

I had a big post written up but it got wiped. So instead, a couple of requests.

Can anyone get the tune at the end of the episode recorded? I love it o_O. And secondly, and most importantly, RWBY won the Streamy for both Best Animated Show and Original Score. I'm thinking...

RWBY |OT| Streamy Winner for Best Animated Show And Original Score

On Sunday they stream the award ceremony thing. Funnily enough, Roosterteeth itself didn't win a damn thing.

Someone usually ends up uploading the credit songs on youtube or soundcloud but I haven't seen anything yet.

Would that kind of news warrant a new thread maybe? I guess I can ask a mod to try and fit that into the thread title, I'd like to keep "S2 Airing!" or something like that in there so people know new episodes are still coming out though.

coolasj19

Someone usually ends up uploading the credit songs on youtube or soundcloud but I haven't seen anything yet.
Would that kind of news warrant a new thread maybe? I guess I can ask a mod to try and fit that into the thread title, I'd like to keep "S2 Airing!" or something like that in there so people know new episodes are still coming out though.
The Streamy Awards themselves should merit their own thread. If someone doesn't make it I guess I will. It should go live Sunday because that's when the streaming video session is.

RWBY |OT| Streamy Winner for Best Animated Show and Original Score. Now Airing!

That fits !! Neither "Volume 2" or "Season 2" fit. "S2 Airing!" does. I would click on that OT B) Besides, that's what thread titles are for! Celebrating accomplishments and drawing ya in. And mods love changing thread titles. Ask Cornballer, he'll do it ASAP.

The Streamy Awards themselves should merit their own thread. If someone doesn't make it I guess I will. It should go live Sunday because that's when the streaming video session is.

RWBY |OT| Streamy Winner for Best Animated Show and Original Score. Now Airing!

That fits !! Neither "Volume 2" or "Season 2" fit. "S2 Airing!" does. I would click on that OT B) Besides, that's what thread titles are for! Celebrating accomplishments and drawing ya in. And mods love changing thread titles. Ask Cornballer, he'll do it ASAP.

I just sent the PM now so it should be changed sometime today.

I just remembered that after the next episode (7) there will be a 1 week break so we won't get the next one after 7 until the 25th of September. That's why I think the next episode will be a bit longer than usual, I'd say around 16 minutes or so if episode 4's length is anything to go by (since it aired before the first break).

Kieli

These last two episodes were painful to watch as a Pyrrha fan. What the heck does she even see in dumb Jaune, anyway?

Lmao at Nora. She thirstin' for Ren.

The walk animations still making me laugh. So much swag and style. So exaggerated. Lolz.

I'd like it if the next episode featured some dancing duels.

We'd get to see everyone show their skills on a different sort of battlefield.

EDIT: I made a short thread for the Streamy awards. I guess I'll post it within half-hour.

EDIT 2: Link here.

These last two episodes were painful to watch as a Pyrrha fan. What the heck does she even see in dumb Jaune, anyway?

Jaune is telegraphing some serious "Chosen One" developments.

Interestingly enough, team RWBY fits the "Four Temperaments Ensemble" trope, and team JNPR comes very close. If you break them down:

Sanguine (Michelangelo Personality)
Ruby, Nora

Phlegmatic (Donatello Personality)
Weiss, Pyrrha

Melancholic (Leonardo Personality)
Blake, Ren

Choleric (Raphael Personality)
Yang

Luekine (Blandy McBlanderson Personality)
Jaune

which seems to imply that if Jaune goes through some serious character development, he's in a position to become a complete badass.

Lmao at Nora. She thirstin' for Ren.

I have a feeling that by the time season 3 or 4 rolls around, Team JNPR is going to be the reason Beacon stops allowing coed dorm assignments.

Kieli

One thing I'd like to comment on is that the fight scenes look great, but...

They're so flashy that they begin to lose impact (oddly enough). It was especially bad for me in the Pyrrha vs. Bullies fight scene in the second-latest episode. Everyone's fighting like they're 30+ year old prodigies, rather than talented 17/18 year olds starting school (with a long ways to go).

The bullies were doing all sorts of fancy pirouettes and ninja-flips that I have no idea how to gauge everyone's skill level until at the very end where they finally get overwhelmed by Pyrrha. Even after they took some heavy hits, the bullies were still spinning and whirling with no noticeable damage. Is it because of the training module reducing damage?

Also, the dude with the honkin' huge hammer shouldn't be swinging it around Bruce-Lee nun-chucks style and deflecting gun-shots. =.=

DominoKid

The stuff the kids are doing is supposed to be kind of like a baseline proficiency for talented students in the RWBY world. It'll be (I'm assuming) clearer where the main characters stand power wise once they have to fight some of the villains (Cinder, Emerald & Mercury) and the old folks get in on the action.

Veelk

Banned

They're so flashy that they begin to lose impact (oddly enough). It was especially bad for me in the Pyrrha vs. Bullies fight scene in the second-latest episode. Everyone's fighting like they're 30+ year old prodigies, rather than talented 17/18 year olds starting school (with a long ways to go).

The bullies were doing all sorts of fancy pirouettes and ninja-flips that I have no idea how to gauge everyone's skill level until at the very end where they finally get overwhelmed by Pyrrha. Even after they took some heavy hits, the bullies were still spinning and whirling with no noticeable damage. Is it because of the training module reducing damage?

Also, the dude with the honkin' huge hammer shouldn't be swinging it around Bruce-Lee nun-chucks style and deflecting gun-shots. =.=

This is a major problem with the show. Nora can hammer smash Yang out of a building so hard that she takes 5 minutes to fall, all without seriously or even minorly injuring her, while Torchwick smashing Yang through a column is supposed to be some kind of critical injury.

Outside of a few exceptions (Pyhhra being awesome and Jaune being awful), all the characters have a distinct style of fighting, but I would be at an utter loss trying to figure out who would likely win out against who. Like, is Cardin and his team all talk, or can they get away with bullying because they are one of the top fighters in the school? Hell, I don't even know who would win out against who in just team RWBY if they came to blows. The show does a really good job giving each characters a distinct style. Yang is the Big Guy, obviously the physically strongest. Blake is the fastest and best at crowd control. But if we were to have them square off, I have no idea which of them has a better chance of winning. Fighting roles don't mean anything when I don't know how they interact with each other. Does Yang have the advantage because she's stronger, or does blake because she is faster? I don't know, it could go either way. And I feel that way about most characters we've been introduced to so far.

And while this isn't a major issues since Team RWBY is unlikely to get into a fight with each other, this is supremely important in relation to enemies. Like right now, are the mechs that torchwick got a major threat? RWBY handled it pretty well, but does that mean the mech's suck or that RWBY is just that good? Because all Yang did was get a good hit in it once she activated her basic semblance. I luv Yang, but the girl is a freshman in her second semester. I'm hoping atleast a good handful of graduates have that kind of muscle behind them, which is probably going to slaughter the mechs. And the actual veterans even moreso.

coolasj19

The stuff the kids are doing is supposed to be kind of like a baseline proficiency for talented students in the RWBY world. It'll be (I'm assuming) clearer where the main characters stand power wise once they have to fight some of the villains (Cinder, Emerald & Mercury) and the old folks get in on the action.
The only thing we've got along those lines is this...
YdJ8Xg

And I don't see anyone coming close to the feats Glenda pulls off on a regular basis. Mind me, that's a completely different form of their fighting but the students can only fight against the students like they do because they're evenly matched. I'm sure any adult could handle them with ease. Roman has never given off the impression that he's actually trying.

Also, the dude with the honkin' huge hammer shouldn't be swinging it around Bruce-Lee nunchaku style and deflecting gun-shots. =.=
Yeah, Pyrrhas' fight was a bit drawn out and it kind of threw me off too. But I believe Glenda has a tablet with their Aura readings that they are using for protection.They probably throw all of it into that and shrug off any blows if they aren't using their semblances.
It's like a forcefield! - Juane
This is a major problem with the show. Nora can hammer smash Yang out of a building so hard that she takes 5 minutes to fall, all without seriously or even minorly injuring her, while Torchwick smashing Yang through a column is supposed to be some kind of critical injury.
Outside of a few exceptions (Pyhhra being awesome and Jaune being awful), all the characters have a distinct style of fighting, but I would be at an utter loss trying to figure out who would likely win out against who. Like, is Cardin and his team all talk, or can they get away with bullying because they are one of the top fighters in the school? Hell, I don't even know who would win out against who in just team RWBY if they came to blows. The show does a really good job giving each characters a distinct style. Yang is the Big Guy, obviously the physically strongest. Blake is the fastest and best at crowd control. But if we were to have them square off, I have no idea which of them has a better chance of winning. Fighting roles don't mean anything when I don't know how they interact with each other. Does Yang have the advantage because she's stronger, or does blake because she is faster? I don't know, it could go either way. And I feel that way about most characters we've been introduced to so far.
And while this isn't a major issues since Team RWBY is unlikely to get into a fight with each other, this is supremely important in relation to enemies. Like right now, are the mechs that torchwick got a major threat? RWBY handled it pretty well, but does that mean the mech's suck or that RWBY is just that good? Because all Yang did was get a good hit in it once she activated her basic semblance. I luv Yang, but the girl is a freshman in her second semester. I'm hoping atleast a good handful of graduates have that kind of muscle behind them, which is probably going to slaughter the mechs. And the actual veterans even moreso.
Are we playing Superfight? Yang beats Weiss because she can brute her way through those Glyphs. Blake beats Ruby because in close range they should be about the same speed but Blake is a much smarter fighter with a trickier semblance. Also, that was with a Watermelon... Pretty sure that entire fight was comedic effect the fight. I don't hold it in especially high esteem though so I don't think about that one too much. Also, I think the Mechs just suck. Well, that combined with Team RWBY being awesome. (imo) If you want to do a better comparison, I would ponder how much more quickly and efficiently Season 2 Team RWBY would take out the Grim Scorpion and Grim Bird from EP8 of Season 1 compared to back then. I'd think about it but I'm hella tired.

Veelk

Banned
Are we playing Superfight? Yang beats Weiss because she can brute her way through those Glyphs. Blake beats Ruby because in close range they should be about the same speed but Blake is a much smarter fighter with a trickier semblance. Also, that was with a Watermelon... Pretty sure that entire fight was comedic effect the fight. I don't hold it in especially high esteem though so I don't think about that one too much. Also, I think the Mechs just suck. Well, that combined with Team RWBY being awesome. (imo) If you want to do a better comparison, I would ponder how much more quickly and efficiently Season 2 Team RWBY would take out the Grim Scorpion and Grim Bird from EP8 of Season 1 compared to back then. I'd think about it but I'm hella tired.

Right, but you don't know any of this, you're just theorizing, because the show doesn't give us much concrete facts as to how much damage any given character can take, deal out. I don't even know where you got the idea that Glyphs can be fought through, or that Blake is smarter. Nothing indicates any of that.

I'm not sure what you mean by 30+ year old prodigies since prodigies are people who achieve their peak earlier rather than later. That term is used for young people who have achieved significant prowess in a given activity, it doesn't seem appropriate to use that word for older adults where being good at a particular thing is expected and not out of the ordinary. I don't think we've seen any 30+ year olds fight so far aside from Glynda in the first episode who manipulated dust (magic more or less) as opposed to fighting in close quarters like Pyrrha so there's not really anyone to compare her to.

It's also incredibly common for characters in these kinds of stories to be adept at fighting since part of the draw is watching battle competent characters in well choreographed fight scenes. I should also note that Pyrrha is not just starting school, she's a renowned fighter that transferred from Sanctum Academy. And it shows when she fights an entire team on her own and wins easily. I thought it was readily demonstrated that despite having some basic teamwork Cardin's team was individually inferior to Pyrrha who engaged and eliminated them one by one throughout the fight (with Cardin knocking out one of his own teammates). This is then followed up by the fight with Mercury which is obviously much closer in terms of skill levels although that fight isn't finished due to Mercury getting the information he needed.

An easy way to gauge skill level is to see who's attacks hit and who's attacks don't. Funnily enough this is true for real life as well. Watch some high level fighting game matches and you'll see the same thing. By that I mean people doing things that look impressive but still get beaten anyway because they're fighting against an opponent who can block and evade their advances and counterattacks effectively which is exactly what happened in episode 5. As for the damage it was stated in a previous episode that for training purposes you are considered defeated once your aura hits a low enough level.

I don't see how that's a major problem. That can easily be chalked up to the scene being comedic in nature, or through her aura protecting her (or both). Calling that hit from Torchwick a critical injury seems to be an error considering she got up right afterwards and even after the fight ended was fine enough to walk away. I think they established already that hunters are at the top in terms of individual fighting prowess. The paladins were designed to "protect the borders" of the kingdom presumably against Grimm. If anything, Penny would be what Ironwood would use against hunters, an artificial human who can use the same aura that hunters use. Remember that the reason she showed up is to participate in the tournament. It makes sense that Ironwood would want to test her out in those kinds of conditions to see how she fares against hunters in combat.

Since normal people don't even know of aura I doubt that the military makes use of it, instead favouring firearms and munitions. Ironwood didn't seem to put much stock into Ozpin's "children" which leads me to believe they both are represented as favouring opposite sides, organized military, firearms and technology versus aura empowered hunters making use of personalized weaponry.

This is something that's present in all shows that don't explicitly state who's stronger than who. You'll never know who can beat who until they either fight or someone states either directly or indirectly that one person will win over another. It just so happens that we finally have a few more villains that can put up a fight against the main cast now.

Ultimately we'll just have to wait and see. This is something I could only classify as a major problem if I was worried that we wouldn't see any more fights for the rest of show which is something I highly doubt. So I think it's safe to say that who fits into what "tier" is going to become more apparent as we go through more episodes and seasons. Just give it time.

The answer to this is always The Stan Lee Rule

This is good too.

Veelk

Banned
The answer to this is always The Stan Lee Rule

Oh, I know about the stan lee rule. That's why I choose my words carefully: Who would be likely to win. Like, I can perfectly imagine a scenerio where Pyhra goes all out in a fight against Jaune and still loses, but considering that she is overall much stronger, she'd win in most cases.

I don't see how that's a major problem. That can easily be chalked up to the scene being comedic in nature, or through her aura protecting her (or both). Calling that hit from Torchwick a critical injury seems to be an error considering she got up right afterwards and even after the fight ended was fine enough to walk away. I think they established already that hunters are at the top in terms of individual fighting prowess. The paladins were designed to "protect the borders" of the kingdom presumably against Grimm. If anything, Penny would be what Ironwood would use against hunters, an artificial human who can use the same aura that hunters use. Remember that the reason she showed up is to participate in the tournament. It makes sense that Ironwood would want to test her out in those kinds of conditions to see how she fares against hunters in combat.

Blake yelled out to Yang, showing concern, which indicates that she took a strong hit. Then Ruby explained to Blake that's actually a good thing, since she can take it and it actually makes her stronger. But the fact that Blake was concerned suggests that normally, without Yang's semblance, it would have hurt. And I dislike the excuse that merely because the series was having a funny moment, that means laws of physics internal to that universe go on lunch break. A universe should remain internally consistent.

This is something that's present in all shows that don't explicitly state who's stronger than who. You'll never know who can beat who until they either fight or someone states either directly or indirectly that one person will win over another. It just so happens that we finally have a few more villains that can put up a fight against the main cast now.

Ultimately we'll just have to wait and see. This is something I could only classify as a major problem if I was worried that we wouldn't see any more fights for the rest of show which is something I highly doubt. So I think it's safe to say that who fits into what "tier" is going to become more apparent as we go through more episodes and seasons. Just give it time.

I hope this is the case too, but they seem to hold back on explaining the rules pretty hard. I mean, we are nearly to the middle of a second season, you'd think we'd have had more of an established structure by now. I feel we should atleast have a good gauge of how good the main characters are in comparison to the school at large. Is RWBY a super-star team? Or are they average students who happen to be ballsy enough to go out and do shit while everyone else stays in their dorms and bangs?

coolasj19

Oh, I know about the stan lee rule. That's why I choose my words carefully: Who would be likely to win. Like, I can perfectly imagine a scenerio where Pyhra goes all out in a fight against Jaune and still loses, but considering that she is overall much stronger, she'd win in most cases.
I'll say it differently. Are we playing Superfight or discussing their merits as fighters? Because the latter has been proven through teamwork and trailers and individual fights. We've only had so many human vs human (enemy vs enemy) fights. There should be more coming up soon.
Blake yelled out to Yang, showing concern, which indicates that she took a strong hit. Then Ruby explained to Blake that's actually a good thing, since she can take it and it actually makes her stronger. But the fact that Blake was concerned suggests that normally, without Yang's semblance, it would have hurt. And I dislike the excuse that merely because the series was having a funny moment, that means laws of physics internal to that universe go on lunch break. A universe should remain internally consistent.
I think the more pressing question from the Mech fight is "How did the rest of Team RWBY not know what Blakes semblance is?". Seems like an important details seeing as how they all actively used them with their fighting moves (Bumble Bee, Ice Flowers, etc). But yeah, physics does go out the door when they have a food fight the likes the world has never seen before. I wouldn't use that as evidence of anything though considering none of them had their dust powered weapons.
I hope this is the case too, but they seem to hold back on explaining the rules pretty hard. I mean, we are nearly to the middle of a second season, you'd think we'd have had more of an established structure by now. I feel we should atleast have a good gauge of how good the main characters are in comparison to the school at large. Is RWBY a super-star team? Or are they average students who happen to be ballsy enough to go out and do shit while everyone else stays in their dorms and bangs?
The other students do stuff too. Team CFVY ("Coffee") is out on a mission like Weiss and Yang said. Penny is set to fight in the tournament. Hell is about to break loose in the dance.

Y'know what I just realized I sound like?
45483564.jpg

Here's my tier list so far.

SS Tier - Cinder, Torchwick, Ozpin, Pyrrha

S tier - Ruby, Yang, Weiss, Blake, Ren, Nora, Sun, Neptune, Emerald, Mercury, Penny

D Tier - Cardin and his whole team, Jaune

Yang's semblance just gives her a power boost. It's her aura that acts as a force-field like for every other Hunter. It makes sense that Blake would be concerned for her ally getting smashed through a pillar, simply because she didn't know how badly she was hurt if hurt at all (in this case she wasn't). It was a moment to briefly explain how Yang's semblance works.

The problem with that is that things are going to progress differently on account of the show having a reduced run time compared to your usual TV production.

Most shows go for around two seasons while RWBY is aiming for 7-10. Some things could be explained better but it's something I expect to trickle through over time.

I'd say that RWBY is one of the better teams among the school so far. Simply because if there were better students they would be named. Expect that to change in the future when we get to see more teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom